Home
Posted By: benchman Brown Trout - 11/14/22
I have some time before deer season, and the weather is crappy, so...I pulled out the paints...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Geno67 Re: Brown Trout - 11/14/22
Nice!
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Brown Trout - 11/14/22
Very good representation of Salmo trutta. Well done sir.
Posted By: splattermatic Re: Brown Trout - 11/14/22
I like that !
Posted By: benchman Re: Brown Trout - 11/14/22
Thanks guys! I think I've started to figure them out. I gotta tell you though - I hate doing all those dots! Truthfully, I guess I should have tipped the scales with gold above the lateral line, and silver below. The problem is that it is watercolor. It probably would not read all that well.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Brown Trout - 11/14/22
I like their varying coloration even more than EBT’s.

Very nice.
Posted By: benchman Re: Brown Trout - 11/14/22
Yeah, they are pretty. There is tremendous variation in color! Just like Brookies. Pretty neat fish.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Brown Trout - 11/14/22
Cool!
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
Very creative, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: efw Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
Looks really nice great work
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
Not gonna lie, I was a little hesitant to open this thread given the behaviors of other posters lol
Posted By: benchman Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Not gonna lie, I was a little hesitant to open this thread given the behaviors of other posters lol
Haha! I shoulda been more specific!
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
I do admire the artistry smile
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
Alway nice to see your great work!
Posted By: bamagun01 Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
Nice work.
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
Seen better, couldn't come close to your skill myself. Creative expression is something to be celebrated. Unfortunately for me, my main outlets are cooking and talking smack with contractors and Maintenance techs.

Appreciate the work and sharing of same.
Posted By: fester Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
How’d it eat?
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
Ah! I was at my folks house and should have looked for those fish my aunt painted.

Next time.

Awesome job again and thanks for posting!
Posted By: Riverc Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
Nice Brown I miss and enjoyed fishing for browns, rainbows & lakers on blue mesa in Gunnison, Cplorado.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
Brown trout had a whole different connotation back when I worked in the wastewater management field.
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
Very nice, sir!
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
It hasn't been caught yet....no flie in his mouth.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
While growing up in deepest, darkest Appalachia I though that the rainbows and goldens were THE schitt, but I enjoyed the browns too. Unfortunately, we don't have them anywhere in AK.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
Nice painting. Gotta say, I was half expecting something to do with a toilet bowl. eek
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
Great work ! Makes me want to do art again.
Posted By: Plumdog Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
Originally Posted by benchman
Thanks guys! I think I've started to figure them out. I gotta tell you though - I hate doing all those dots! Truthfully, I guess I should have tipped the scales with gold above the lateral line, and silver below. The problem is that it is watercolor. It probably would not read all that well.
I used to do fish taxidermy back in the seventies. It is no small feat to try and replicate the colors on any trout! Browns and Brookies are my favorite. I used lacquers and automotive paint techniques that I gleaned from a custom painter I knew. Pearlescense used a lot and clearcoats. Pronghorn was my favorite game head, they are striking to look at up close. Keep up the good work!
Posted By: CCCC Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
Well done - and, yes, difficult to produce certain highlights with watercolors.

For me, a bit more bulky version would be appropriate only because the most recent Brown I caught (up on Diamond Lake) was what my fishing buddy called "a football of a fish". Rainbow, Golden and the rare Apache have been much fun - but the heaviest for me have been Browns.
Originally Posted by CCCC
Well done - and, yes, difficult to produce certain highlights with watercolors.

For me, a bit more bulky version would be appropriate only because the most recent Brown I caught (up on Diamond Lake) was what my fishing buddy called "a football of a fish". Rainbow, Golden and the rare Apache have been much fun - but the heaviest for me have been Browns.
My son caught a 10 pounder this year, in Erie Pa. It was a fat hen! I just picked something that appealed to me. This is just a fun hobby. I had not painted for a couple of years, so I'm learning again!
Originally Posted by Plumdog
I used to do fish taxidermy back in the seventies. It is no small feat to try and replicate the colors on any trout! Browns and Brookies are my favorite. I used lacquers and automotive paint techniques that I gleaned from a custom painter I knew. Pearlescense used a lot and clearcoats. Pronghorn was my favorite game head, they are striking to look at up close. Keep up the good work!
I was a pretty good carver in my heyday. In fact, I started with watercolors as a warmup for painting my fish. I used acrylics for the carvings. You actually have to build the color up, and use some interference stuff. I would have liked to tip the scales with cad yellow, or something close, but it just kinda disappears on a piece this small.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
Nicely done sir.

I am envious of your talents.

Used to fish the Ruby in sw Montana 30 some years ago, it was loaded with Browns. Would like to think it was still is.
Posted By: Plumdog Re: Brown Trout - 11/15/22
I was a pretty good carver in my heyday. In fact, I started with watercolors as a warmup for painting my fish. I used acrylics for the carvings. You actually have to build the color up, and use some interference stuff. I would have liked to tip the scales with cad yellow, or something close, but it just kinda disappears on a piece this small.
More recently I had a friend that was an expert carver, and his fish were very nicely colored. Sometimes I appreciate the understated effect of watercolors or acrylic paints. The depth and glimmer of a real fish is near impossible to re-create. Same with ducks and feathers.
More recently I had a friend that was an expert carver, and his fish were very nicely colored. Sometimes I appreciate the understated effect of watercolors or acrylic paints. The depth and glimmer of a real fish is near impossible to re-create. Same with ducks and feathers.
Yup. It's all impressionistic, at the end of the day. There is more to vision than what we see with our eyes.
© 24hourcampfire