Home
Posted By: Thunder_child ATV winch for snowplow? - 11/15/22
I currently have a manual lift for my atv snowplow, but I'm having problems with my shoulder and need to get a winch to lift the plow blade. I don't need top of the line but don't want to buy something that won't hold up and do the job. What brand and pull rating would you recommend? Thanks.
Posted By: irfubar Re: ATV winch for snowplow? - 11/15/22
I use a 3500lb Harbor Freight winch. Replace the steel cable with synthetic. Mine is a 6' blade on a sxs.
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: ATV winch for snowplow? - 11/15/22
Have a champion on one and a SuperWinch on another and both have been good. I would recommend Synthetic over cable. Too much up down wear on the very end of the cable an it will give out. I believe they are both 4500lbs, but probably overkill.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: ATV winch for snowplow? - 11/15/22
I think they all work good enough, but I find mine work better by using a single sheave pulley hook on the plow and dead end the winch line on the grill protector. A simple 2 part line, slows the lifting and lowering by 50 percent for more control. Saves solenoid on winch unit also by you not bumping the control switch so much for regulating blade height.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: ATV winch for snowplow? - 11/15/22
I used a winch and plow on a Sportsman 700 for years of snow plowing. It worked fine, but...

-lose the steel cable and go 2" wide strap, or synthetic cable.

- Go 2,500 lb winch at least. Mine was a 2,000 and started drawing a lot of.juice as it aged, plus it didn't really have enough oomph to pull the machine out of a stick situation.
Posted By: CraigD Re: ATV winch for snowplow? - 11/15/22
+1 on the winch idea!

I severely injured my left shoulder using a manual lift for my snowplow. It took five months of regular PT to recover.

i found good deal on a 3000# Warn winch. i decided if i was going to install a winch that it aught to be big enough to pull my ATV out of a mud hole. i did choose the winch with the synthetic versus steel cable. I have used it now for three years and am pleased with the setup.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: ATV winch for snowplow? - 11/15/22
There are 10-foot lengths of 1/4" synthetic line on Amazon and elsewhere, they work better than a full spool as they don't ice as badly. Also, use a hawse fairlead, not a roller. They eat up the synthetic line badly.

Mine has an x-bull winch...I think they're about the same...just get a bigger one to be sure. Mine is 3000#

I am also considering adding a pulley to the system to lighten the load on the winch, not sure though.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: ATV winch for snowplow? - 11/15/22
Skip the damn synthetic rope and go with the snowplow lift strap setup made by Kolpin, Warn or KFI, I've broke so much of that rope over the years plowing with my Rhino that I had to find something else that would work and last. I've only used it twice this year (Kolpin snow plow lift strap) but so far it's working so much better than the rope. For general winch work I would definitely go with the synthetic rope, much safer and easier to use than cable.
Posted By: Boise Re: ATV winch for snowplow? - 11/15/22
I have two plow solutions. The 4 wheeler setup has the winch mounted on the plow made by Wild Country who are no longer in business. It was much cheaper going this route and has work well the last 10 years although I have a propensity for breaking the nylon lift strap.

My other plow is setup on a RZR and uses a 3500 winch which is way over kill. Switching from steel cable to synthetic rope has stopped me from over travel issues.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: ATV winch for snowplow? - 11/15/22
tag
Posted By: 7887mm08 Re: ATV winch for snowplow? - 11/15/22
KFI
Posted By: aboltfan Re: ATV winch for snowplow? - 11/15/22
My plow system is a Warn plow with a 54 inch blade and a Warn 2500lb. winch with a rocker switch on the dash. I replaced the steel cable with a Warn 8ft. synthetic rope. My SxS is a Honda Pioneer 500.

I've used it for three years and have been completely satisfied with the setup.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: ATV winch for snowplow? - 11/15/22
I have the kfi 3500 stealth synthetic. It's been great for 3 years. No broken rope yet but I'm starting to see a bit of wear.

Bb
Posted By: earlybrd Re: ATV winch for snowplow? - 11/15/22
Harbor freight
Posted By: CashisKing Re: ATV winch for snowplow? - 11/15/22
I run a couple of the 14,500 X-BULLs...

These are their baby cousins...

Walmart...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: ATV winch for snowplow? - 11/15/22
I have a Warne 2500lb. on mine. Works great!

Ron
For a snow plow you don't need much, harbor freight special should work fine. Just replace the cable with synthetic rope or one the 8' plow straps. Pretty much every ATV winch is china made anymore.
Offroad Armor Denali 66” snow plow with pulley fairlead and snap pulley and lift strap kit. Warne 2500 winch, whole system works quite well on my Defender.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Doc_Holidude
I have a 4,500 lb. Superwinch on my 700 Rhino with a Moose plow. Steel cable on the winch and when it breaks I'm going with synthetic rope. It's been working great now over 10 years.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: ATV winch for snowplow? - 11/16/22
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
There are 10-foot lengths of 1/4" synthetic line on Amazon and elsewhere, they work better than a full spool as they don't ice as badly. Also, use a hawse fairlead, not a roller. They eat up the synthetic line badly.

Mine has an x-bull winch...I think they're about the same...just get a bigger one to be sure. Mine is 3000#

I am also considering adding a pulley to the system to lighten the load on the winch, not sure though.
last time I bought winch rope from Amazon, they had 1/4 50’ for the same price as the 10’. Cut off 10’ and you have another 40 for whatever.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the information and suggestions.
© 24hourcampfire