Home
Posted By: ironbender Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
Anyone have and use a Dewalt 20V 12" bar chainsaw?

I have lots of Dewalt batteries, so sticking with that brand if I get one.

TIA.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
Don't have a Dewalt but a RYOBI and it works real good.

For what we use it for it can't be beat.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
The 20v wasn't enough for me but the 60v is a beast. The 20v sucked up the juice really fast. But if you just need it for a few limbs At a time it should work for you. I like the idea that the 60v batteries can be used on my 20v tools.
Posted By: rong Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
Same here,have the Default 60v and a couple batteries.
Don't do alot of cutting,but it's enough.
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
I have been watching for an electric for atv trail riding.
Have ryobi in camper and makita around the house but it looks like new batteries might negate brand loyalty.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
I have the Milwaukee 18 volt and it kicks the crap out of the dewalt 20 volt. I would love to do a side by side comparison with the 60 volt. Mine cuts through 16” cherry with ease
Posted By: Hardwoodmaterials Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
This guy does the best comparison videos I have seen. Part 1
Part 2
Posted By: killerv Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
My 20v dewalt has been awesome. 8in tree is no problem. Quiet, can speak over it, doesnt wake up the whole neighborhood. Mine came with 5amp battery. You probably wont get much out of the 2amp batteries if thats what you have, maybe 15min of use if they are strong. I got my saw with charger/battery for 215 off ebay. I'm sure there is no contest with the 60v, but you can one hand the 20v. I got tired of cranking up gas chainsaws for the light stuff around the house.
Posted By: viking Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
Yes, and I love. I don’t cuss as much anymore, as in cussing a my 20 inch farm boss trying to start it.

The pole saw is a great tool to have around also.
Posted By: 1beaver_shooter Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
I have the 20 amp model. The only problem I have had is that it keaks chain oil ,I guess there was a little o ring on the plug that broke off . Saw works fine for 6 to 10 inch limbs just have to remember have to store it on it's side
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
I have a few 20V DeWalt things that I really like but back in 2017 I got a small battery operated Stihl chainsaw. Don't recall even seeing any DeWalt chainsaws back then. The Stihl is great for my occasional use and I'm surprised at how long it can go before a recharge. Put a new chain on it last year when the guy who does my sharpening declared the chain worn out.
Posted By: AUGrad Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
I have the 80V Kobalt with an 18" bar. It works fine for what I need - clearing trees that fall across trails or cutting up the occasional limb that falls in the yard. I wouldn't want to rely on it for an all-day job. Sort of like an electric car. Great for trips around town, but keep it off the interstate.
Posted By: LFC Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
I bought the ECHO best bang for the buck.....you won't need extra batteries if you do you need a gas saw.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
I bought the 58 volt echo. 20 volt is kind of light for chain saw work. I like Dewalt, but would get a 40 volt.

Ron
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
Have a Kobalt, older model w/12” blade. Works OK for light work, has leetle ballz.
Posted By: Distridr Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
I have a 20v Craftsman that I use around the farm and for camping.
It offsets more work from the gassers than I would have imagined. No gas to deal with, no noise, just on and off. If cleaning up a dropped limb or smaller tree, it's what I grab.
Considering your battery stock it's definitely worth a shot. You'll probably be amazed at what it wil do.
Posted By: BubbaG Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
I burned up a greenworks 80v. I abused it. They have their place. I already had one of their 80v weed eaters and found a tool for only for $100. They are great for light work.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
Ours does what it's made to do.
Posted By: Rangersedge Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
We have a lot of dewalt tools (2 20v drills, 2 20v impact drivers, 20v weedeater, 20v hedgetrimmer, 20v greasegun, 20 chainsaw, 20v grinder, 20v circular saw, 60v weedeater, 60v circular saw, 60 chainsaw, 60v recip saw, and more) with a correspondingly large supply of batteries.

Got a 20v dewalt chainsaw mainly for small jobs and so wife doesn't have to start either of our two gas powered chainsaws. Handy; but can't really recommend it. Leaks oil badly if not stored on side. Quit after about 1.75 years. Dewalt customer service was great when first contacted offering to fix, not needing receipt, and sending shipping label. Sent it in. Lady from India called. Said not covered by warranty since didn't include receipt. Will fix and return for $$$ - which was about the price of new tool. I told her to let me think about it a bit (to confirm price difference with new). Saw arrived back unfixed a few days later without any followup contact. Still sitting in shipping box in garage.

Most dealers in this area are phasing out their dewalt and stocking up on Milwaukee. I asked one about it and they said it was partially out of frustration with dewalts customer service (lack of). I now understand that.

If I were starting over planning to get a lot of tools, I'd get Milwaukee. If I already had a stock of dewalt 60v batteries, I'd get the dewalt 60v. If I had a stock of dewalt 20v batteries only, I'd get it but with idea it is very light duty only.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
What is the battery config on that dewalt?

One big clunker or two smaller ‘drill’ batteries?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
I have the Stihl and all I got for feedback last year was a bunch of naysaying mouthy old foucks.
With the exception of about 2 individuals

Been very pleased with it. Something many people won’t see on their Human Resources evals: EXCEEDS EXPECTATIONS

It’s been great for construction work. Sawing off overages on deck posts and I keep in the furnace shed for that one random log of stovewood I encounter in the heap that is 3ft long.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
My dad can’t handle a regular chainsaw anymore and wanted an electric to clear his trails etc. I didn’t have much faith but bought him a Ryobi on sale. The damn thing works great and has impressed me. I wouldn’t want to rely on one for putting up my years worth of wood but they certainly have their place.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
A couple who are great friends gave me one as a gift for my last birthday in September. It also has the trimmer attachment. They got tired of knowing I would work myself to death with loppers and saws at the deer lease. I can now do a former days work- and more- in about fifteen minutes. I told him it was like cheating. He is a rancher and said he loved his Dewalt which was all the endorsement I needed. It also allows me to stay off a ladder for certain chores around the home and do a much nicer job with less effort, in shorter time than with the manual stuff I always did - but that goes without saying I suppose. Point is you can get to high things while staying on the ground- a plus.

Is it for clearing a forest or large trees ?- nope. Is it for topping trees and shaping tall bushes around your place or clearing that cedar and mesquite out of the paths at your deer lease? - you bet your a$$ it is. I no longer trim small cedars, I remove them at the base and toss the tree aside.

I appreciated chain saws but as I get older I appreciate what hearing I have left and the electric is so much more pleasant. I feel physically better after a stint with the electric. Kind of like using hearing protection for other tools or shooting.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
My Ryobi 18V saw is the only one of my Ryobi tools that I don't love. It's okay. Kinda hard to describe, but because the RPMs are comparatively low, it has a tendency to bounce when cutting through smaller limbs that have flex to them. I have found a few uses for it, but if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't buy it. Between a real chainsaw and stout loppers, my needs are well met. That's not to say that some electric saws wouldn't work.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
No DeWalt here... I have and use the Huaqvarna 40V with a 16" bar. One cutting machine!
Posted By: JGray Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
Originally Posted by LFC
I bought the ECHO best bang for the buck.....you won't need extra batteries if you do you need a gas saw.

Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I bought the 58 volt echo. 20 volt is kind of light for chain saw work. I like Dewalt, but would get a 40 volt.

Ron

I bought the Echo 58v also - haven't used it much yet but did have to clear a trail out on the SxS. I had 4 down trees 12" - 18" diameter that the saw went through effortlessly with 2 cuts per tree. I'm happy with it...
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
I can vouch for the DeWalt, it's nice. My girlfriend/neighbor has one and the 60v batteries. It's just perfect for her and cuts well.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
Tried to word my question specifically.

Looking at dewalt for battery/charger continuity. I have 2 chargers, 3-4Ah batteries, and 2-2Ah batteries.

This is of for making firewood, hence the 20v/12” reference. I use two stroke pollution for firewood.

Primary use will be trail work removing blowdowns, leaners, etc.

Weight is 9ish pounds. Right size for horseback, and the little woman can handle it.
Originally Posted by slumlord

It’ll use the drill batts, or upgrade to the 60v for longer run time.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
Originally Posted by slumlord

Slum, it's one big clunker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Flexvolt is for the bigger 16” saw, but can be used in the 12”/20v this thread is about.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
Iron Mike, what is asked, and what is answered on the ol' 'fire, are not always the same thing!
Posted By: Rangersedge Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
If packing on a horse, watch out for the oil leak issue - unless it has been resolved. May have an oil soaked pack saddle and horse.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/17/22
Better ask ribka. He's the smartest mother fuucker on here. Knows everything. Just ask him. It's a god damn wonder he ain't president and Elon doesn't have him running space x.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22
Originally Posted by Rangersedge
If packing on a horse, watch out for the oil leak issue - unless it has been resolved. May have an oil soaked pack saddle and horse.
O ring is supposed to resolve it, but Im aware of that issue. Thanks.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
Battery Chainsaw

No. Just, no.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Battery Chainsaw

No. Just, no.
LOL.

That’s where I was too, but I see at least a niche for one.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22
Brother said they used DeWalt with the 60V batteries in the mines.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22
I have a Stihl. Electrics are handy and work in a pinch. I got it for the quiet to use in deer and bear camp and for carrying on the ATV.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22
I’ve got the 20V exact DeWalt you queried about. I’ve had it 18 months and love it. I cut small alder for cooking salmon, down trees on back roads, camp firewood, no major cutting jobs. If a tree is too big to cut with this saw, it is bigger than I want to mess with when hunting. My grandson just bought the same. I have a Stilh that is superb, but in my Suzuki space is a premium and with the electric I can omit the gas can and its fumes. Quiet, quick, cuts well, ideal for my use.

I haul it in a plastic tub with a cut in one end for the bar. It does leak oil, but the plastic tub with a layer of cardboard under the saw contains it and keeps it manageable, especially since I refill the oil minimally and keep it empty of oil most of the time. DeWalt agreed to take it back and fix it but I decided to avoid that hassle and live with the small leak.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22
Great for cutting off legs.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22
I have seen some folks using them and they look pretty neat for small jobs.I always hated climbing a ladder with a chain saw running.I have been wondering lately. With all the Lithium going into automobiles,what is going to happen to all these small tools running on them. The batteries are out of sight now price wise.
Originally Posted by Okanagan
I’ve got the 20V exact DeWalt you queried about. I’ve had it 18 months and love it. I cut small alder for cooking salmon, down trees on back roads, camp firewood, no major cutting jobs. If a tree is too big to cut with this saw, it is bigger than I want to mess with when hunting. My grandson just bought the same. I have a Stilh that is superb, but in my Suzuki space is a premium and with the electric I can omit the gas can and its fumes. Quiet, quick, cuts well, ideal for my use.

I haul it in a plastic tub with a cut in one end for the bar. It does leak oil, but the plastic tub with a layer of cardboard under the saw contains it and keeps it manageable, especially since I refill the oil minimally and keep it empty of oil most of the time. DeWalt agreed to take it back and fix it but I decided to avoid that hassle and live with the small leak.
Thanks for this post!

How many Ah battery are you using?
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22
Bender, year or two ago I bought my mom the Dewalt 20v. She uses it for taking out volunteer elm sprouts, etc... I have a bunch of compatible tools so easy choice for light use.

But as of late she's been using it cutting old corral rails for the porch woodstove.

I asked how long does it run? 5 Ah, 30 minutes on 4-5" stuff.

Side note, my own fault I left a really cool old cedar fence post by the wood pile.

Dad informed me yesterday that mom had cut the post for fire wood. Of course she didn't know and never in a million years did I think she'd be out using a 'chainsaw' to cut wood, must be a decent little saw.....lol
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22
The little electrics do look pretty handy. I have enough Milwaukee batteries to push that route.... otherwise the Stihl looks like a winner. If there is real wood to be cut, we'll be burning hydrocarbons for the foreseeable future.
Posted By: hemiallen Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22
I spoke to the local Ace guy and he recommended Stihl will have a new line of Battery saws next spring, and suggested to keep an eye out on their website for the updates he has heard are coming.

I am on the fence currently, would go Dewalt but haven't a warm and fuzzy that the o-ring fixes the oil leak. If it was that easy, why did it take so long to implement it. Mot all negative reviews are for the oil problem. I would go with the 20v and use my existing batteries.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22

Looking at dewalt for battery/charger continuity. I have 2 chargers, 3-4Ah batteries, and 2-2Ah batteries.

This is of for making firewood, hence the 20v/12” reference. I use two stroke pollution for firewood.

Weight is 9ish pounds. Right size for horseback, and the little woman can handle it.

I think you should get a Jonsered.

Then you can buy a lawnmower of theirs too.

I think they have hedge trimmers too. You have a hedge you need trimmed, no?

What kinda place do you think this is, asking for specific information. Sheesh.
Posted By: fester Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22
Anyone have and use a Dewalt 20V 12" bar chainsaw?

I have lots of Dewalt batteries, so sticking with that brand if I get one.

TIA.
I have a Milwaukee. Light duty stuff only.
The battery lasts about 15 minutes cutting
4” eucalyptus, if I’m lucky.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I think you should get a Jonsered.

Then you can buy a lawnmower of theirs too.

I think they have hedge trimmers too. You have a hedge you need trimmed, no?

What kinda place do you think this is, asking for specific information. Sheesh.
Whatta ya gonna do? 🤷‍♂️🤷🏿‍♂️🤷
He’s looking for nose hair clippers.
The impact Milwaukee I use is nice. I have a lot
of their tools. If you’re attempting yard work.
Weed eater type stuff, and have acres, i can torch
a charged battery in less than 15 minutes.

Get a 2 stroke and rebuild it as you need.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22
OMG it's just so hard to start a gas chain saw and they're so noisy. It's like, such a terrible burden.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22
A Milwaukee pruning blade on a replicating saw does a good job on small trees, and limbs.
Posted By: tkinak Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22
I just ordered one of these for limbing and clearing trails. I have the 12v version, this one should have a lot more punch! I'm going to see if the 10" pole saw bar fits on it.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Outdoor-Power-Equipment/Saws/3004-20

Milwaukee's new m18 top handle looks interesting also.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Outdoor-Power-Equipment/Saws/2826-20T
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22
The 12 volt hatchet is great, just what I need two more Milwaukee tools
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A Milwaukee pruning blade on a replicating saw does a good job on small trees, and limbs.
Light work they work great.

I hope your day is treating you good Wabbi.❤️
Originally Posted by Irving_D
The 12 volt hatchet is great, just what I need two more Milwaukee tools
😜

Need the 18v bearings for your muffler.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22

Thanks for this post!

5 MAh, original equipment that came with the saw.
Posted By: killerv Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/18/22
Originally Posted by hemiallen
I spoke to the local Ace guy and he recommended Stihl will have a new line of Battery saws next spring, and suggested to keep an eye out on their website for the updates he has heard are coming.

I am on the fence currently, would go Dewalt but haven't a warm and fuzzy that the o-ring fixes the oil leak. If it was that easy, why did it take so long to implement it. Mot all negative reviews are for the oil problem. I would go with the 20v and use my existing batteries.

The oil leak really isnt that bad, just have to remember to lay it on its side. A lot of the reviews sounded like a lot of folks tried to overtighten the cap and made things worse.

While I havent used mine a constant 30 minutes non stop....I used it all weekend clearing 1in to 5in stuff around the perimeter of the yard, I'm sure I hit the trigger hundreds of times and when I went to charge it still had some left.

Thanks for this post!

5 MAh, original equipment that came with the saw.
Thanks.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
OMG it's just so hard to start a gas chain saw and they're so noisy. It's like, such a terrible burden.

Tell us you didn’t read the OP and thread, without telling us.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/19/22

Sometimes it is!

grin grin grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: fester Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/19/22
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Sometimes it is!

grin grin grin

It’s worth it if you have property. Carrying batteries
kinda sucks.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/19/22
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Sometimes it is!

grin grin grin

Gotta love an old AV...

Mine is only a 32 (20" bar), but I swear that thing will run well on goat piss...
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/19/22
Bought Laura a couple of the Makita 36v saws (2x 18v battery)... she can't pull a gas saw very well.

For what they are (emergency stuff)... I must say I am impressed with Makita.

Test drove myself on a blown down pine... 10" or so at breast height. Bucked up the entire tree to 18s on one set of batteries.

I trust Makita.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/19/22
I left my small gas Chainsaw in Arizona and had to trim my Palms so I went and got a Ryobi 8" Trim Saw.
because I already have the Batteries and Ryobi is not going to change the Batteries next year.

I trimmed (2) very Large Palm trees with 3/4 battery use.
It was slow going but you have to look at what it is.
The Ryobi worked real good for what it is and I think that I will use it when even a small chainsaw is to big for some stuff.

It Pisses me off when you purchase something and the company abandons it with a new model in a year or two.
Battery operated tools have become that way.

I have Dewalt 18V and I have to get after market batteries due to the fact that I do not want to replace my entier tool line when they change the Batteries.

Ryobi doesn't do that and when I need a Real hand tool I get the Pro Grade of what I am looking for and stay away from the home owner grade.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/19/22
[Linked Image]

I have the 20Volt and went underground for a root.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/19/22
How was the chain after that episode?
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Battery Chainsaw - 11/19/22
How was the chain after that episode?

I threw a chain away every 5 minutes.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D230BNM
© 24hourcampfire