Home
Posted By: wabigoon The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
This Seith Thomas clock would be it here. Bought with money sent home[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] from the Civil War.
I was gonna say it's an ammonite fossil, Cretaceous.

But then I remembered the trilobite, Cambrian.
I guess the oldest posession I have is a silver dollar my grandfather gave me in 1960 (I was 6). It's a Morgan minted in New Orleans in 1885. It was quite a gift as my grandparents were VERY poor. My grandfather was a sharecropper in Tennessee.
Winchester 94 made in 1902. It's a 25-35. I've got a Remington 1889 double barrel that's older not exactly sure on it's date though. Damascus barrels.
Posted By: Raeford Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
A portion of a brick that someone smuggled out of Pompei, no idea who though
Posted By: BubbaG Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
My underwear
Originally Posted by smokepole

I was going to say the same thing or some pieces of meteorite that I’ve collected.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
The oldest man made item I own is a silver coin (Tyrian Shekel) from 65 AD.
Posted By: papat Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
Trapdoor Springfield from 1879. Volumes 1 and 2 Memoirs of US Grant first editions. 1881 and 1882.
Posted By: akrange Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
My DNA ..
Posted By: pullit Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
Got some old coins form around 1840
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
Great grandfather's civil war bayonet

50th NC Regiment Company B
All cool, Thanks!
Posted By: Bighorn Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
A family Bible, owned by my great grandfather.
Posted By: TheSOB Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
Mauser 93. Pre 1898.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The oldest man made item I own is a silver coin (Tyrian Shekel) from 65 AD.

If I remember correctly Mrs Bristoe got that for you
Posted By: Steve Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
A chunk of Vishnu Schist from the bottom of the Grand Canyon. 1.75 Billion years old.
Posted By: hanco Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
Webster’s reader from 1885
Posted By: Redneck Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
My grandfather's gold Hamilton pocket watch he had when he worked for the railroad in the very early 1900s...
An old oil lamp, given to me by mom , given to her by her mom, and I’m 72.
Posted By: killerv Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
Outside of indian artifacts....an 1875 schofield.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Winchester 94 made in 1902. It's a 25-35. I've got a Remington 1889 double barrel that's older not exactly sure on it's date though. Damascus barrels.

Interested in these........? Circa 1960 ish ?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
A gorgeous looking and sounding violin by Bela Szepessy, London 1886.
Muzzle loading target rifle, from the 1870’s.
Aside from rocks and arrowheads, I reckon it would be an 1863 dated 1861 Norfolk contract musket.
Posted By: SS336 Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
Other than 3 frames of arrowheads that are very old I would imagine, it would be my Krag made in 1900. 122 years old and sill going strong. Pretty amazing I think.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: BC30cal Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
wabigoon;
Top of the morning my friend, I hope you and your fine family are hale and hearty this November Thursday.

We had this topic on a Canuck forum I'm on, so I'm prepared as it were, even with a photo and all!

[Linked Image]

From the top left is a Genco straight razor made in Geneva, NY with antler handles I made. The right straight razor is Hunter and Son - Talbot Works - Sheffield with original horn handles and case. Best guess they're 1890's to early 1900's production.

The Minnie Ball is from the War Between the States as far as I can ascertain and the .577-.450 case was found in the hills here, so likely about 1900 as a guess.

My late mother was given the 1890 US Silver Dollar when she was 5 or 6 so not quite a century in the family, but close.

The mammoth ivory bark is from the Yukon, a gift from a good friend who works up there, so depending upon who one reads, it's likely 11,000 odd years give or take?

Thanks for the thread and to all who've participated.

All the best to you all and good luck to those who hunt.

Dwayne
Posted By: badger Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
A French bayonet taken by one of my forebears at Waterloo.
I Have a Mosin Nagant that is the original version. 31" barrel and such, so pre 1900.
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Interested in these........? Circa 1960 ish ?

Nah, thanks anyway. I've got plenty of ammo and almost never shoot it. Alot of it looks just like yours.
Posted By: poboy Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
#2 1\2 Newhouse steel trap stamped 1882.
I have some Indian artifacts that are pretty darn old.
Early 1920's Divine Fly rod..
Other than the water in my coffe cup. A Remington Model 12C that was my Grandfathers.
Posted By: fester Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
Cast iron pan.
Man made Paleo and Clovis arrowheads date from 12,000 to 14,00 BC. GW
Posted By: fester Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
How were those dated?
Some Precambrian minerals, Garnets, from the Ruby Mountains in Nevada. They're a few billion years old.

A dinosaur femur from the Cretaceous, but it's only 70-ish million years old.
Happy Camper would date those at no more than 5800 begats old
Posted By: Clarkm Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
[Linked Image]

Colt 1849 Pattern revolver made in 1854
Originally Posted by slumlord

Methuselah begats or modern-day begats? Gots to know the scale of things.
Coins
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Originally Posted by slumlord

Methuselah begats or modern-day begats? Gots to know the scale of things.

Everyday neegats
My artifacts...

Originally Posted by fester
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
How were those dated?

Carbon dating of buried campfires where this style of artifacts were found by researchers. GW
Wabigoon: I have several types of fossils, that I found, that are in the 65,000,000 (sixty five million) year old to 240,000,000 (two hundred and forty million!) year old range.
Including Ammonites, Texonites and Baculites.
I like older stuff.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Only native artifacts I ever found were beer cans and mini liquor bottles along the road near the Reservation.......
Sharks' teeth, eskimo artifacts, mammoth and walrus ivory, and very old furniture...
Posted By: buffybr Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22

I also have some of those, some that I bought at the Denver Rock and Mineral shows, and others that I found, ammonites and baculites in eastern Montana and trilobites in Utah.

Two buffalo skulls that I found in Colorado in the 1960s and another I found in Montana about 20 years ago:

For man made things, how about the beaded moccosins that the Ute Indian Chief, Ouray, was wearing and took them off and gave them to my Great Great Grandfather in 1859:

Or the picture of that same GG Grandfather seated next to Kit Carson taken in 1868:

And these items that I inherited from my Dad's side of the family. The Bowie knife has "Capt, Wm Gibson, Denver July 1884" stamped on it. The two Nickle coated Colt Double action .38s belonged to my Great Grandfather. The 1911 Colt was my Grandfather's in WWI, and the 1st gen Colt SAA .45 was carried by my GG Uncle in the late 1800s. The Model 1906 Winchester .22 belonged to my Grandmother in the early 1900s.

But probably the oldest things that I have are the bronzed baby shoes that I wore in about 1947 grin
Oldest thing I can actually date is an 1800 Spanish dollar, with chop marks added by Chinese merchants. There are a few arrowheads as well.

I also have a Damascus steel knife with a mammoth ivory handle scrimshawed by Eureka Springs artisan Kurtz Miller, a gift from Kurtz after his father passed.
Originally Posted by SS336
Other than 3 frames of arrowheads that are very old I would imagine, it would be my Krag made in 1900. 122 years old and sill going strong. Pretty amazing I think.

That's an extremely cool Krag. You should explore the wonderful world of cast bullets in that rifle. The long neck of the 30-40 Krag cartridge is perfect for cast bullets.

These look like a good bet. I'd load them with H4895 to a velocity of about 1850 fps,...magnum primers to insure that the relatively light load gets ignited properly.

https://www.xtremebullets.com/30-Cal-165gr-RNFP-Cowboy-p/x30-165rnfpc-b0500.htm

You need to come up with a die that would put a slight flare on the mouth of the case to keep from shaving lead when you seat the bullet. Other than that, it's a fairly straight forward process.
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Only native artifacts I ever found were beer cans and mini liquor bottles along the road near the Reservation.......

Amazing. Evidence suggests those same natives visited my local WMA……

They seem to have spent most of their time along the Shenandoah river. Wish they’d at least have carried off their tangled wads of mono.
Originally Posted by buffybr

I also have some of those, some that I bought at the Denver Rock and Mineral shows, and others that I found, ammonites and baculites in eastern Montana and trilobites in Utah.

Two buffalo skulls that I found in Colorado in the 1960s and another I found in Montana about 20 years ago:

For man made things, how about the beaded moccosins that the Ute Indian Chief, Ouray, was wearing and took them off and gave them to my Great Great Grandfather in 1859:

Or the picture of that same GG Grandfather seated next to Kit Carson taken in 1868:

And these items that I inherited from my Dad's side of the family. The Bowie knife has "Capt, Wm Gibson, Denver July 1884" stamped on it. The two Nickle coated Colt Double action .38s belonged to my Great Grandfather. The 1911 Colt was my Grandfather's in WWI, and the 1st gen Colt SAA .45 was carried by my GG Uncle in the late 1800s. The Model 1906 Winchester .22 belonged to my Grandmother in the early 1900s.

But probably the oldest things that I have are the bronzed baby shoes that I wore in about 1947 grin

Great collection buffybr! Your family kept these all intact for future generations. Have to admire them. I have my baby shoes from 1945 but my mother never had the extra cash to have them bronzed. Likely she was saving them for the next baby but she quit after me #12. Dad said when he seen me, he knew it was time to quit. Good or bad? confused
A prehistoric knife, came from an ancient blue jade mine in Idaho somewhere and traveled all the way here to SC 13,500-15,000 years ago. I found it while digging the footing foundation for my grandfather's house back in the 60s. Really wasn't sure what it was for decades, thought perhaps an arrow head or spear head of some kind but ... it was a couple of feet deep, in hard clay.

Then I met Dr Albert Goodyear (google him) at the UofSC in 2014 and showed it to him. He was visibly surprised, somewhat shocked, asked me where I found it .... then he dated-it, told me where it came from and what it was used-for. So ... 13,500-15,000 years old, somewhere in there.

Posted By: Kenlguy Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
My wife.

I'm going into hiding now.
Antiques
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
My wife.

I'm going into hiding now.

Someone had to say it! laugh

Yeah, you better...
I got a old pistol, 1798 .... 2 guns from the mid 1850's one of them shoot those minn 12 gage looking rounds, then a 1909 model 11 Remington plain and one a 1911 grade f....oh yeah ,knife a late 1800's "tarry" made in France or there abouts...
My Krag was made in 1904. Looked like a DCM carbine cut down.

My grandfather's pre-1909 passport. It's in Russian, from what is present day Poland.
That's an extremely cool Krag. You should explore the wonderful world of cast bullets in that rifle. The long neck of the 30-40 Krag cartridge is perfect for cast bullets.

These look like a good bet. I'd load them with H4895 to a velocity of about 1850 fps,...magnum primers to insure that the relatively light load gets ignited properly.

You need to come up with a die that would put a slight flare on the mouth of the case to keep from shaving lead when you seat the bullet. Other than that, it's a fairly straight forward process.

I have some cast bullets a friend made me and was going to try them. But it shoots factory and my hand loads with 180 BT and 4350 so well I never worked up a load. With hand loads, even with the peep sights, I can get it to shoot around an inch most days.
I have been in the deer woods with it but no luck. Maybe the deer are afraid of it. 😂

I have some cast bullets a friend made me and was going to try them. But it shoots factory and my hand loads with 180 BT and 4350 so well I never worked up a load. With hand loads, even with the peep sights, I can get it to shoot around an inch most days.
I have been in the deer woods with it but no luck. Maybe the deer are afraid of it. 😂

That's definitely a very tasteful Krag. My compliments.

Still, I'd have to see how H4895 works with it. The case capacity and the pressure level of the Krag cartridge seems perfect for H4895.

I looked for a Krag to shoot cast bullets in for a long time. I could never find an original with a bore good enough to tolerate cast bullets.

What kind of barrel does that one of yours wear?
I believe it’s the factory barrel with some work done to it. Front sight is a slide on barrel band made by Lyman. It is in pretty good shape obviously, but has some pitting here and there.
I believe it’s the factory barrel with some work done to it. Front sight is a slide on barrel band made by Lyman. It is in pretty good shape obviously, but has some pitting here and there.

You did good, then, if it's a factory barrel.

I wouldn't change nothing on it,.....except I would sell it to *me*.

But I can understand why you won't.
Maybe some old glass snake oil/medicine/pill bottles.

Beautiful rifle
Originally Posted by Steve
A chunk of Vishnu Schist from the bottom of the Grand Canyon. 1.75 Billion years old.

Impossible. 6,000 years, max.
Originally Posted by Raeford
A portion of a brick that someone smuggled out of Pompei, no idea who though

That reminds me, my grandma drove cross-country in the late 40s and stopped at the petrified forest in AZ.

She picked up a piece of petrified wood, beautiful agate and jasper. You'd get in big trouble for that today.
I have an ancient Greek silver coin that dates back to around the time of Alexander the Great, and a little chunk of pottery that I picked up on the grounds of the ruins of the palace at Knossos on Crete
Posted By: MPat70 Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
A couple coins from late 1800's

1909 Winchester 29 pump 22
Posted By: CWT Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
My wife
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
A stone from the Crazy Horse Memorial.
WIFE
Late 1700s, early 1800s Rittenhouse Potts surveyors instrument.

Was my 3rd great grandfather's.

I have a letter from my great grandfather in the box stating it's history. His grandfather, David Clouser laid out Clay County Missouri with it in the early/mid1800s.

Actually arrowheads but I don't consider them to be as valuable to me as the surveyors instrument.

Also have some round rocks somewhere from the Vista Circle in St Clair County Missouri. About baseball/softball sized. Guess some kind of meteor or whatever you space nuts call them crashed to earth a few days back, approximately 340 million years ago.

These rocks are everywhere around Osceola Mo.
Posted By: dquick Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
1892 winchester 25-20 saddle ring carbine . handed down from my grandfather
1/2 gallon brass “trade kettle” (pot) from the 1820’s. “RE AD” marked straight razor bought from Belgium, age unknown but 1830’s style with horn scales.

I use them as part of my kit when reenacting.
A washstand that mas my great aunt's.
Posted By: minengr Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
Somewhere I have a Precambrian rock sample. It's 500 million - 4 billion years old. Other than that, a muzzle loader from my Grandmothers side of the family. Unknown age or maker at the moment.
Model 1874 Sharps Business rifle. Invoiced out of Sharps in October of 1877 sent to B.Kittredge in Cincinnati, Ohio then sent to Dakota territory and sold to a Buffalo hunter. The gun then ended up on the Soholt ranch in the Black Hill of SD. When the ranch was sold and property auctioned off a local collector bought it and a few years later he passed and his brother disposed of his estate. A local gun dealer bought it and that's how it came to me. Yeah it still shoots. black powder paper patched bullets of lead shoots far kills dead...mb
My mom's diamond. At least a billion years old.
1880s Alfred Hollis 10 gauge hammer gun. Still shoot it regularly with low pressure 10 gauge handloads (2-7/8 inch shells).
Posted By: batch Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
A widows mite from Israel.
Posted By: ACTDad Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
My Grandfather's LC Smith 12 ga. Dating to the 1900 era. Damascuss barrels show some pitting so it is never shot but to me at least it is the prettiest shotgun i have ever held
My P1917 and I will never sell it. The second oldest thing I own is my pecker, that is always on sell, the prettier the gal is bidding on it, the lower the selling price~
Petrified dung from a plant eater about 14" in diameter.
Originally Posted by Whokalouie
Petrified dung from a plant eater about 14" in diameter.

COOL! Can you share a picture, do you know what herbivore dropped it, and how old?
Posted By: hanco Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
Wifey
1858 flying eagle cent.
Posted By: Stophel Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/17/22
all of us could pick up a rock from the driveway and say it's a zillion years old.

man made stuff. A German half stock bird gun, very light, probably a boy's gun, ca. 1720, stocked in Spanish style.
Fossil - cephalopod. Found in a shale rock spring seep.
Firearm - Winchester 1906 22 short, long and long rifle.
Oldest man made object is a chert atalatl point. It essentially is an arrowhead. Atalatls were used before mankind developed arrows.

Archeologist guessed it is 10-15,000 years old. Found on my property just 50 feet from my back door at my house in Flagstaff.

I have a lot of 1,000 plus year old pottery shreds on my property too. A metric _____ of it.
Posted By: okie Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/18/22
Rolling block Remington Early 1870's....
Lots of arrow and spear points found on the family farm near a little spring that still runs drinkable water.

Before my Mother had a garage sale while I was off at school, I had an 1812 dime and I believe it was an 1864 2 cent piece with some other old coins.
not sure if it's the oldest but the oldest cool thing I have an original 1851 colt navy with the original bullet mold that it came with..
I think it was an 1865 2-cent pieces I've got a pile of them..
Kitchen table that was my great-grandparents wedding present made by my great grandfather's brothers in 1859.
They used three recycled planks for the tabletop. The brothers owned a meat market/butcher shop and when they replaced the countertop in the market, they just flipped the boards over and put the nice side up. Knife marks all over the underside and held together with handmade nails.
The table only sits about 25 inches from the ground as the legs were worn down by moving around on the sand covered floors for over a hundred years. I have two of the hickory strip seat chairs that came with it. The legs are really short and the top rail on one chair is almost worn through from being pushed and pulled around. I also have a child's chair from the same era that is built just like the "grown-ups" chairs.

Ed
Originally Posted by flagstaff
Oldest man made object is a chert and atalatl point. It essentially is an arrowhead. Atalatls were used before mankind developed arrows.

Archeologist guessed it is 10-15,000 years old. Found on my property just 50 feet from my back door at my house in Flagstaff.

I have a lot of 1,000 plus year old pottery shreds on my property too. A metric _____ of it.

WOW, that is Ultra Cool!
Posted By: Otter Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/18/22
My first 45-70 is far from old but is built on an original RB action dating to 1879 or thereabouts. Found a Spencer Machine Works SxS, Damascus barreled 12 ga w/hammers about 30 years ago. IIRC, patent date is 1873. AAs, 1 oz #6s and a light BP load (25 gr 1F) and felt wads - it is a hoot to shoot. Not fun if you light up both barrels at the same time, though.

BTW, I had a gunsmith go through the SxS to get his blessing before shooting it.
Posted By: RHutch Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/18/22
Land deed for a parcel in PA from 1774
All cool guys!
Posted By: blanket Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/18/22
A globemaster fossil, followed by a shecall of tyre. Being the coin judas was paid off with
1836 Johnson U.S. Military flintlock pistol found in crazy Uncle Harolds attic.
Posted By: longarm Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/18/22
I have a bunch of fossils.. but human made? I have a very small Greek amphora turned out of alabaster .. a few arrowheads.. etc
Have a knife I made with a Russian bog oak handle, the wood is carbon dated around 3500 years ago. Yeah that's pretty old.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/18/22
A 32 caliber squirrel rifle that belonged to a long forgotten relative. My grandmother thought it belonged to her uncle. It was built around the time of the civile war. I can't find any stampings or marks to indicate the builder.

kwg
Posted By: Brazos Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/18/22
I have a 16th century Japanese matchlock rifle.

I bought it to commemorate the one my grandmother gave to my Dad after WW2.
A serviceman brought it back to our small hometown and she bought it for my Dad.

Dad was a trader and at some point he swapped that one for some other gun.

I always admired it as a child, so bought mine when I had the chance. It is not in near the condition Dad's was, but brings back good memories.
My mother's family farm dates to pre revolution times. She was born there in 1916 in the old family home that was built before 1776. As a kid I played in part of that house before my Grandfather died and left no will. 160 acre tobacco farm sold at auction for penny's because he did not know enough to protect it. I do have some of the original handmade nails that held the house together.
Man-made is a Roman coin.
Not the very oldest item given to me as new but close enough to it. Sears branded binoculars for my 11th or 12th birthday. Love ‘em for the memories and all of the miles they were carried. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A chest of drawers made in the mid 1800s. It us a family heirloom.
Then mammoth ivory, arrowheads, fossils, and a bunch of recycled atoms. Oh, and photons!
Posted By: NVhntr Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/18/22
Wife's upright piano was made in 1918. I have my great-great grandads journal from the late 1800's; those are about the oldest things we have around.
Not counting several fossils of unknown age, some millions of years.
Come to think of it, we have some family documents from the ear1800s and a music box from the 1700s.
Posted By: RAS Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/18/22
Man made. Not counting dozens of arrowheads, is my Savage 1895 made in 1896. Obviously, arrowheads are much older. Savage still fires fine.
Posted By: norm99 Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/18/22
rifle built 96 or 97 1895 Savage

norm
Guessing the oldest thing I own is an original 1873 Winchester in .44-40, or perhaps a Morgan silver dollar that may pre-date it by a couple years.....
1890 walking plow and acetylene coal miners lanterns
2001 Subaru Outback Legacy
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: The oldest thing you have? - 11/18/22
great great grandfather’s birth certificate from Dresden Germany, Church of the Holy Cross . Dated 1836……

Three Roman era bronze arrow heads and all the flint ones I’ve found over the years
One Roman coin and pottery shards that by their style date from AD 700 and later.
© 24hourcampfire