Home
Posted By: fester Rifle scope - 11/18/22
Who will admit to a scope tattoo?

I have been touched but not cut.

Which one of you fine fellers has been given the ring tat? What caliber/cartridge were you shooting?

.300 mag out of that Remington m7 synthetic stock rifle touched, but did not cut me, with the scope.
Posted By: EdM Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
Gently (thankfully) touched once when shooting a very stout 45-70 load in a Ruger #1.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
Never
Posted By: barm Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
I got nailed by a 50 caliber muzzleloader (inline) which was my cousin's rifle. His arms are shorter and he had the scope too close for my liking. I made a stalk on a small buck in the middle of a field. I had to lay prone to shoot. I thought I could hold my face back far enough to keep from getting hit. At the sound of the shot all I could see was smoke and pain. The scope had wacked me across my nose. I could feel something wet on my face and knew it was blood. I quickly walked over to the deer to make sure it was down and then walked back to my uncle's house to see my injury. I remember walking through his front door and he looked at me with a concerned look and said, "What the hell happened to you?". I didn't have to get stitches, but it did not look good.

I also got lightly tapped on the forehead by the same cousin's 300 Winchester Magnum shooting at another deer. I stopped shooting his guns after that one. laugh
Posted By: stikshooter Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
Nope, has not happend so far
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
Skip to the 1:00 mark.

This one cracked me up. You would think he could have seen that one coming and warned her...

She ended up with a pretty good shiner. grin

Posted By: fester Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
Originally Posted by slumlord
Never
Liar. Pffft.
Posted By: 358WCF Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
I have a few. No ink... but a few thin white round lines on my noggin. The worst was from a 375 H&H Rem. 700 from their custom shop with a really thin whippy barrel. Beautiful wood. Not a bad rifle to shoot offhand. No weight up front. I shoot righty but, from benchrest, it lifted & torqued to cut above the left eye. I tried wrapping the sling around the front rest with a bag of shot to calm it down. It broke the front sling swivel. Someone else really liked it & wanted it bad, so it's long gone. A close 2nd was a Voere of some sort with a big 60s Monte Carlo cheekpiece in 300 WinMag.
Posted By: plumbum Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
Originally Posted by fester
Originally Posted by barm
I got nailed by a 50 caliber muzzleloader (inline) which was my cousin's rifle. His arms are shorter and he had the scope too close for my liking. I made a stalk on a small buck in the middle of a field. I had to lay prone to shoot. I thought I could hold my face back far enough to keep from getting hit. At the sound of the shot all I could see was smoke and pain. The scope had wacked me across my nose. I could feel something wet on my face and knew it was blood. I quickly walked over to the deer to make sure it was down and then walked back to my uncle's house to see my injury. I remember walking through his front door and he looked at me with a concerned look and said, "What the hell happened to you?". I didn't have to get stitches, but it did not look good.

I also got lightly tapped on the forehead by the same cousin's 300 Winchester Magnum shooting at another deer. I stopped shooting his guns after that one. laugh
Lol. Good story. I appreciate your honesty.

Did your uncle dump some booze on your wound and give you a cig? Lol
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
I will confess to being a "scope crawler" in the past and have been cut several times. It typically happened when shooting off a bench and trying to apply as little pressure as possible to the firearm to get the best group possible, also while wearing light weight clothing not typical of the hunting clothing I wear, causing an unusually short length of pull. The worst cuts were from an old Remington 760 30-06 that had a Weaver 2 1/2-7x scope that had little eye relief and very sharp optical eye piece.

I have stopped shooting with the light holds of the past, have started adding padding/spacer to the butt of the rifle when shooting with only a shirt on and have not had any trouble with lightweight 7mm Rem Mag, lightweight 338-06, 35 whelen and a 375 H&H mag. I will say I have had a bump or two to my shooting glasses in the last 20 years or so with the heaviest of loads in the 7mm mag and the 338-06 mention because of their light weight but nothing serious .
Posted By: hookeye Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
Checking zero on a Knight .50 cal, on a zero degree day, leaning over hood of my old CJ
Had one come back more lively than usual and bumped nose.
Must not have been seated fully? Bad form?
Only one that got me, out of a bunch of diff stuff over the years.
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
In for the "tapped not cut" club.
Originally Posted by 358WCF
I have a few. No ink... but a few thin white round lines on my noggin. The worst was from a 375 H&H Rem. 700 from their custom shop with a really thin whippy barrel. Beautiful wood. Not a bad rifle to shoot offhand. No weight up front. I shoot righty but, from benchrest, it lifted & torqued to cut above the left eye. I tried wrapping the sling around the front rest with a bag of shot to calm it down. It broke the front sling swivel. Someone else really liked it & wanted it bad, so it's long gone. A close 2nd was a Voere of some sort with a big 60s Monte Carlo cheekpiece in 300 WinMag.
That’s kind of what happened to me.

I got hit but not cut.
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
In for the "tapped not cut" club.
👍🏻
Posted By: jbmi Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
Drew blood first time with my 338 mag. Once was enough.
Never
Liar. Pffft.

slumlord is stout and not afraid of his rifles, better have control of your 7mag or savage10ml hanging your ass off the side of a hackberry over 4 strands of barbed wire below

Little 450 marlin guide gun will ring your jowls too

I don’t have trust fund tittie baby money, so I have no experience with african chamberings
Originally Posted by hookeye
Checking zero on a Knight .50 cal, on a zero degree day, leaning over hood of my old CJ
.50 knight? I’m not familiar with that gun.
Glad you didn’t break your face.
I have a Hawken Silver Elite that bashes my cheekbone something fierce.
My buds 54 loaded hot (reg Hawken) didn't hit me.
That friggin TC of mine hammers. My Renegades and New Englander, never.
Dunno WTF is wrong w that stock but it sucks.
Really dont want to drag that damn thing out late season.

Shoot a deer and wait for half an hr for the snot, tears and tweety birds to go away.
Never
Liar. Pffft.

slumlord is stout and not afraid of his rifles, better have control of your 7mag or savage10ml hanging your ass off the side of a hackberry over 4 strands of barbed wire below
I’m listening.
Originally Posted by jbmi
Drew blood first time with my 338 mag. Once was enough.
I bet!
I got touched enough I thought I was
bleeding. Lesson learned real quick.

Stock hitting your check will get your attention
fast as well.

Was a Knight Wolverine, their cheapest rig at the time I think. SOB shot great.
Took another elk hunting in CO, good little rigs.
Reg #11 ignition and real BP w a sabot'd 240gr (deer).
I replaced the plastic sights w spares off a 700 (minor fitting) and ran the Maxihunters when I went after elk.
Those shot great too.

Was cheatin on deer. Felt bad about it, so sold and went back to side hammer........beautiful TC stainless Hawken.
Worst shooting , worst face bashing POS Ive ever had.
Got it to behave shooting wise eventually and backed off the load to reduce face smack.
I shot my biggest buck w it so am kinda hangin on to it.
Never
Liar. Pffft.

I’m listening.
18-1/2” pythons help too

Get some gravy in ya
Posted By: horse1 Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
300Win with a newly mounted 3-12 Shepherd is the only one that actually cut me over the eye circa 2004. I finished the deer season with that pairing then sold the Shepherd shortly thereafter. I've peeled the skin off the bridge of my nose a few times via the thumb-button on Butler Creek flip covers. Most recent was about 3-4 weeks ago. I wasn't thinking and let a pard's NULA 270Win free-recoil on bags rather than the firm grip I'd normally use on fly-weights. BC flipper got me.

None of them have been awful gashes requiring stitches. Have to look pretty hard to find the scars over my eye or on my nose.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
Fester: Indeed I endured a "Weatherby Eyebrow" several years ago on a high country Hunt in western Wyoming.
It was snowing hard and very cold - I was after Mule Deer. I spied a dandy Buck uphill from me and laid down in the deep powder snow, shouldering my pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in caliber 30/06.
I apparently picked up a batch of powder snow between my Rifles buttstock and my shoulder and at discharge the Rifle slid downward and the Leupold scope came back and cut me - deep!
I was stunned by the impact and had just one eye working but saw the Buck going down.
So I soon got on an even keel and started toward the downed Deer.
My right cheek soon became very cold and with my ungloved trigger hand I reached up and removed a "blood icicle" from that cheek.
I then became aware that I was bleeding rather heavily and had to hold up on the uphill trudge and stopped the bleeding with my handkerchief.
Two years ago I was assisting a 100% disabled military veteran on an Antelope Hunt and he touched off a shot from a rather awkward position and his 270 Winchester scope broke his nose and cut it deeply!
Took us 20 minutes to stop the bleeding from the bridge of his nose and out his nostril!
My close friend here in SW Montana was Hunting Elk with his custom Ruger #1 in caliber 338/378 Weatherby and shot from the prone position in deep snow and again at an uphill angle - the resulting Weatherby eyebrow rendered him instantly unconscious and he estimates he woke up 20 minutes later and in near bitch black darkness - he had to stop his bleeding with a spare glove and then it took him 10 minutes to find his Rifle in the powder snow. He had to abandon his Hunt (follow-up on the shot at the Elk) and head for his vehicle and then to the hospital for stitches and head exam!
Lesson - be familiar with your Rifles recoil and only shoot from a steady, strongly supported position.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Was a Knight Wolverine, their cheapest rig at the time I think. SOB shot great.
Took another elk hunting in CO, good little rigs.
Reg #11 ignition and real BP w a sabot'd 240gr (deer).
I replaced the plastic sights w spares off a 700 (minor fitting) and ran the Maxihunters when I went after elk.
Those shot great too.

Was cheatin on deer. Felt bad about it, so sold and went back to side hammer........beautiful TC stainless Hawken.
Worst shooting , worst face bashing POS Ive ever had.
Got it to behave shooting wise eventually and backed off the load to reduce face smack.
I shot my biggest buck w it so am kinda hangin on to it.
Lol.

One of my uncles rifles got me. He sold
it because it was a cheap piece Remington
sold. Screw that rifle.😂

Do you have pictures of the rifle?
I will google it. I’ve never heard of it and
now I’m interested.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Fester: Indeed I endured a "Weatherby Eyebrow" several years ago on a high country Hunt in western Wyoming.
It was snowing hard and very cold - I was after Mule Deer. I spied a dandy Buck uphill from me and laid down in the deep powder snow, shouldering my pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in caliber 30/06.
I apparently picked up a batch of powder snow between my Rifles buttstock and my shoulder and at discharge the Rifle slid downward and the Leupold scope came back and cut me - deep!
I was stunned by the impact and had just one eye working but saw the Buck going down.
My right cheek soon became very cold and with my ungloved trigger hand I reached up and removed a "blood icicle" from that cheek.
I then became aware that I was bleeding rather heavily and had to hold up on the uphill trudge and stopped the bleeding with my handkerchief.
Two years ago I was assisting a 100% disabled military veteran on an Antelope Hunt and he touched off a shot from a rather awkward position and his 270 Winchester scope broke his nose and cut it deeply!
Took us 20 minutes to stop the bleeding from the bridge of his nose and out his nostril!
My close friend here in SW Montana was Hunting Elk with his custom Ruger #1 in caliber 338/378 Weatherby and shot from the prone position in deep snow and again at an uphill angle - the resulting Weatherby eyebrow rendered him instantly unconscious and he estimates he woke up 20 minutes later and in near bitch black darkness - he had to stop his bleeding with a spare glove and then it took him 10 minutes to find his Rifle in the powder snow. He had to abandon his Hunt (follow-up on the shot at the Elk) and head for his vehicle and then to the hospital for stitches and head exam!
Lesson - be familiar with your Rifles recoil and only shoot from a steady, strongly supported position.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Fugking moron

LOL
Originally Posted by VaHunter
I will confess to being a "scope crawler" in the past and have been cut several times. It typically happened when shooting off a bench and trying to apply as little pressure as possible to the firearm to get the best group possible, also while wearing light weight clothing not typical of the hunting clothing I wear, causing an unusually short length of pull. The worst cuts were from an old Remington 760 30-06 that had a Weaver 2 1/2-7x scope that had little eye relief and very sharp optical eye piece.

I have stopped shooting with the light holds of the past, have started adding padding/spacer to the butt of the rifle when shooting with only a shirt on and have not had any trouble with lightweight 7mm Rem Mag, lightweight 338-06, 35 whelen and a 375 H&H mag. I will say I have had a bump or two to my shooting glasses in the last 20 years or so with the heaviest of loads in the 7mm mag and the 338-06 mention because of their light weight but nothing serious .
Yep

I’ve been lucky enough to not bleed. I did however get hit, hard.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
I didn't grow up shooting rifles, and bought and fired my first one without any adult supervision.

Having to patch up an eye is a good way to learn.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Great story man.

I was too young to hunt Montana.

Good
Originally Posted by Stickfight
I didn't grow up shooting rifles, and bought and fired my first one without any adult supervision.

10/22 ruger? 😉
Basic Knight, plastic sights. Blued w a plastic stock that looked like a Ruger boat paddle (kinda hollowed out).
Both of mine were of that vintage.
Think later models were more conventional looking.

Pretty much quit shooting BP rigs about 20 yrs ago.
Too much of a PITA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Fugking moron

LOL
Stop being a d ick. Lol

I know for a fact you got scoped
Swallow yer pride, bud. 😉
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22

That is the main reason people get scope bit. Ignorance..
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
Japanese Weaver on a Ruger Skeleton stock 30-06. Laid awkwardly across an alder branch. Got laid open. Required a follow up shot. Got it again. I am a slow learner.
Posted By: barm Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22

He's a farmer and and was in the National Guard for years. He has sympathy for no one. I could tell he felt bad for me, but I wasn't getting any help as long as I was walking and talking. Lol
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Not knowing and being unable to shoot a rifle
is not ignorance.

I’m glad you came out of the womb knowing
how to turn a wrench or shoot a fu cking
rifle, in any caliber, on target.

Effin stud.

He's a farmer and and was in the National Guard for years. He has sympathy for no one. I could tell he felt bad for me, but I wasn't getting any help as long as I was walking and talking. Lol
Lol! Long walk no talk.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Did he go back and look for the elk?
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
.338 ultramag, 300gr. Berger, prone. Just enough of a tap to remind me not to do it again.

10/22 ruger? 😉

I wish. 700 ADL milk jug synthetic in 30-06, with a Tasco moon scope.

Live and learn...
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Japanese Weaver on a Ruger Skeleton stock 30-06. Laid awkwardly across an alder branch. Got laid open. Required a follow up shot. Got it again. I am a slow learner.
.30-06!

I’ve been hit a few times but never cut.
Thank god. My .30-30 has caught me and .30-06
but hasn’t cut me.

I’ve seen my buds bleed from simple recoil.
Apparently they don’t know how to shoot.🤪
I have dumb friends.

10/22 ruger? 😉

I wish. 700 ADL milk jug synthetic in 30-06, with a Tasco moon scope.

Live and learn...
The .300 mag got me.

What was the issue with that rifle? Tigger?
Just junk?

Ok, I don’t think it was the adl model.
Never
Liar. Pffft.

I’m listening.
18-1/2” pythons help too

Get some gravy in ya
Praying and training! My vitamins and exercise
brother!

😂
Posted By: mathman Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22

is not ignorance.

ig·no·rance
/ˈiɡnərəns/

noun
lack of knowledge or information.

Isn't that not knowing?
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
.338 ultramag, 300gr. Berger, prone. Just enough of a tap to remind me not to do it again.
Wake up call, huh. Lol
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Wake up call, huh. Lol
Oh ya...
Not wise to limp-wrist it. 😬🙄😁
What was the issue with that rifle? Tigger?

The problem was the operator.

The rifle was fine, I just know now that there are better choices in chambering and build and optics and the like. Fairly light rifle, big recoil, and a short eye relief scope are not good choices for the uninitiated. Fortunately I know now, thanks in part to people on this site, so my boys started off on a better foot.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22

Me too.

buddy of mine ws shooting my 7mm/08 and cut himself good, that boy bled like a stuck pig!!

I'm still not sure if he forgives me for laughing so hard.
Originally Posted by mathman

is not ignorance.

ig·no·rance
/ˈiɡnərəns/

noun
lack of knowledge or information.

Isn't that not knowing?
Your right. According to googles definition.

I guess we are all ignorant in some aspects dealing
with tools, or, not knowing how to use them
properly.

Ignorant in my definition is using or doing
the same thing twice without learning your first
negative lesson.

I’m ignorant
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Me too.

buddy of mine ws shooting my 7mm/08 and cut himself good, that boy bled like a stuck pig!!

I'm still not sure if he forgives me for laughing so hard.
7/08 lol

Seen it with a .223

It’s the reason for my question.
I can’t be the only one who’s been
scope checked.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
I don't recall it ever happening, but if it did it couldn't have been too bad.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
Ignorant: means you do not have the proper information.

Stupid: means you lack the capacity to understand and use the information you have.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
3" 12 gauge slug in an 870 from a poor sitting position.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
3" 12 gauge slug in an 870 from a poor sitting position.

I got lucky and only ended up with my
right cheek getting hit hard. Those hurt to.
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Ignorant: means you do not have the proper information.

Stupid: means you lack the capacity to understand and use the information you have.
I’m stupid.😉

Gets me every f u cking time.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
243's, 257's and 308's don't do that sheit to you, so no for me.
Originally Posted by mirage243
243's, 257's and 308's don't do that sheit to you, so no for me.
You obviously know how to shoot a rifle.👍🏻
Posted By: mathman Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
negative lesson.

That seems closer to obtuse, or thick. grin
Originally Posted by mathman
negative lesson.

That seems closer to obtuse, or thick. grin
Or just dumb. I’m guilty of all the above.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
870 slug barrel with scope is not meant to be shot prone.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Or off hip. Double ought is a Mf.
Emptying the tube pumping it.
Posted By: SDLEFTY Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
My last hunt in Botswana I used a camp 338. It drew my blood a couple times. Other than that, never.
Originally Posted by SDLEFTY
My last hunt in Botswana I used a camp 338. It drew my blood a couple times. Other than that, never.
A couple? Son of a gun.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Actually there is a comedy of errors anecdote with this. A river, 2 big inner tubes, a sheet of plywood, a dead moose from a few hours before, 2 young men with way more enthusiasm than brains....so we return to the scene of the crime to get the rest of the meat, with the 870 loaded for bear...yup, as expected bear ate most of the gutpile on shore and was working on the meat we'd piled on a gravel bar (by the by, brownies aren't intimidated by piss trails and man stink clothes)...hollering, firing pistol in the water to scare her off..of course it didn't scare her...she starts toward the out of control drifting raft, clack-clack, she is pissed. My buddy the great Aleut hunter laid on the deck and fired the scoped slug gun, because I was jumping up and down for some reason, wobbling the raft, but Mrs Bruin dropped on all fours and walked into the willows. Ivan the great says, settle down...she's gone, holy schidt Ivan your leaking bad, can you see out of that eye? He says it's hokay, scope got me. Tough tough kid.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Rifle scope - 11/18/22
Touched a few times.

Once, was all twisted up shooting at a deer, before I pulled the trigger I thought about thge stock barely on the side of my shoulder.
"Just the 308, it ain't too bad."

Pulled the trigger.
It moved my glasses and honestly didn't hurt, but an old Leupold, it sliced
my nose.

On the left side.
A right, I was shooting from the right shoulder.

I was really twisted up.
Missed the deer.
Posted By: old70 Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22
Got beaned by a .300 H&H. Crawled the stock and was gently reminded not to do that again. No blood, but a decent bruise. I also had a 1917 Eddystone that had been rebored to .35 Brown-Whalen and shortened and lightened. No scope, but I left my thumb over the wrist of the stock and hit myself in the nose. Hard to shoot with watery eyes. Friend got bit hard by a 450 Marlin. Mounted his 2.5x leupold too far back. Opened his brow and nose pretty good. About 8 stitches worth if I remember right. He offered to sell it to me cheap after I took him home from the ER. I politely declined.

Old70
Posted By: Bull64 Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22
Never with a scoped rifle,but will admit to a bloodied nose from an 835,shooting a gobbler that snuck in behind me…
Posted By: ElAhrairah Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22
Ive had it a couple times. Seems to happen shooting at an incline. Last time was shooting uphill, prone, with a .444 marlin. Also, i was drunk.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22

Which one of you fine fellers has been given the ring tat? What caliber/cartridge were you shooting?

.300 mag out of that Remington m7 synthetic stock rifle touched, but did not cut me, with the scope.

Yes, once. A pretty light Win 670 in 30-06 with a 4-12x42 Burris FF II loaded with a Hornady 190 btsp and enough IMR 4831 to break 2800 fps.

I went prone on a downhill slope shooting at a coyote which was at a higher elevation than I. It cut my right eyebrow to the bone. The guys at work got a great laugh when we gathered for lunch in the break room. They all recognized exactly what had occurred.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22
Not yet...
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Skip to the 1:00 mark.

This one cracked me up. You would think he could have seen that one coming and warned her...

She ended up with a pretty good shiner. grin

I watched that show, laughed my guts out when she scoped herself, saw it coming a long way off!! lol

Her boyfriend knew it would happen heheheh

Thanks for posting that and the laughs!
Posted By: granitestate1 Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22
I had a Barrett 50 cal "I sold it on this forum" and it had a tank style muzzle break, and I said to myself I wonder what the difference will be if I take it off. I mean the rifle weighed 55 pounds I though the weight would absorb the recoil well guess what it didn't well not enough anyways.
Ouchy
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22
Never had the problem. Then again, hardest recoiling rifle I own is probably Marlin GG with hot rod .45-70 loads. Maybe because I only shoot my own rifles that I’ve set up right or, sometimes, friends’ rifles that I’m loading for and have also set up.
Posted By: Plumdog Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22
If ya shoot uphill from prone with a hard kicker, yer gonna have a bad day.
Posted By: fester Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22
Originally Posted by Plumdog
Lol, saw my bud get whacked whacking I deer with
a shot up hill.
Posted By: lightman Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22
I've been cut but didn't require stitches. A 300 Weatherby in a MKV.
Posted By: memtb Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22

Many times, in the early 80’s.

I had bought the rifle of my dreams, a Win.Model 70 XTR in .375 H&H. After buying the rifle I was broke, and bought the only scope that I could afford…..a 3-9 Bushnell, for around $39.00 at a nearby Walmart.

While trying to build a load for my new rifle with Sierra 300 gr. SBT, I would get hit numerous times while going through a 20 round box. The first couple of times it hurt like hell…..but, I must’ve gotten a bit numb, as later hits didn’t hurt very badly.

Most of the time, I had blood streaks down both sides of my nose on the return trip home! Finally, once getting a 2-7 Leupold, the “scope attacks” ceased! 😉

Retiring that rifle for one with much higher recoil, I was very careful to start out with a scope with lots of eye relief! Learning how to firmly hold a heavy recoiling rifle didn’t hurt any either! 😁 memtb
Posted By: ElAhrairah Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22
Originally Posted by Plumdog

Youre not wrong
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by High_Noon
😝
The 870 with double ought loads rocked me. Call
me a puzz. Pumping rounds and holding on to it
sucked, however, was fun if ya get off on that stuff

The m14 with the happy switch, full auto was
fun.
Originally Posted by lightman
I've been cut but didn't require stitches. A 300 Weatherby in a MKV.
Damn. Sorry dude.
Posted By: MTGunner Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22
Yep, just got my first scope tat between my eyes while on a hunt in Spain. Not my rifle and crawled the scope. Perfect half moon between the eyes. I tell people my wife hit me. Most say I deserved it. MTG
Posted By: Geno67 Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22
Touched a few times on weird vertical angles with a ruger 77 pencil barrel tang safety in 7 mag with partition handloads that were about on the edge of safety. Never marked. I learned to not choke up on it around mid teens when a buddy split his forehead and raccooned his eyes with some heavy a frames in a 30-06 featherweight.
Originally Posted by MTGunner
Yep, just got my first scope tat between my eyes while on a hunt in Spain. Not my rifle and crawled the scope. Perfect half moon between the eyes. I tell people my wife hit me. Most say I deserved it. MTG
Lmao.
I’m not sure how I got away without being cut
or “tatted” buy a scoped or non scoped rifle.

I have had recoil from stocks wake me up
a time or 2. That’s no fun when you get butt
stock checked. Eye opener and closer😉
Originally Posted by MTGunner
Lmao.
I’m not sure how I got away without being cut
or “tatted” buy a scoped or non scoped rifle.

I have had recoil from stocks wake me up
a time or 2. That’s no fun when you get butt
stock checked. Eye opener and closer😉
I’m sorry for “lmao” at your expense.
I lmao at all my injuries, and tend to laugh when
I see people/friends get hurt. My bad.
Originally Posted by Geno67
Touched a few times on weird vertical angles with a ruger 77 pencil barrel tang safety in 7 mag with partition handloads that were about on the edge of safety. Never marked. I learned to not choke up on it around mid teens when a buddy split his forehead and raccooned his eyes with some heavy a frames in a 30-06 featherweight.

I seem to handle heavy/hot .30-06 loads.

.300 mag got my attention, fired from a light
Gun. I like the bigger, hot loaded cartridges bang and recoil, but
I’m not into them as much these days.
I like reloading them*

I’ve seen it happen and I’ve been whacked but not
cut.
Posted By: Geno67 Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22
Originally Posted by Geno67

I seem to handle heavy/hot .30-06 loads.

.300 mag got my attention, fired from a light
Gun. I like the bigger, hot loaded cartridges bang and recoil, but
I’m not into them as much these days.
I like reloading them*

I’ve seen it happen and I’ve been whacked but not
cut.

Yep - it happens. I've always been a fan of the hot stuff with heavy loads. When I hit my mid 50's, I became a fan of hot stuff in solid copper light for caliber loads. 22-250 and 25-06 ai are my new friends.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22
I have been cut twice by my 35 Whelen. Both times had a deer get close and had to shoot from an odd position so I wouldn't spook them moving too much. I killed them both.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: Rifle scope - 11/19/22
I never have either
Posted By: granitestate1 Re: Rifle scope - 11/22/22
On other gun and hunting forums my name is scope eye and it is very fitting.LOL
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Rifle scope - 11/22/22
Been tapped a time or two.....never cut.
Posted By: nimblehunter Re: Rifle scope - 11/22/22
YEP, my 338 Win. mag got me shooting prone at a woodchuck.....just once though!
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Rifle scope - 11/22/22
I'll admit to it in hopes that someone will learn something from it.
This was from years ago. I'd put a set of flip up covers on my scope. The rear one stuck back nearly an inch behind the eye piece and I didn't take the extra length into account. I no longer have the rear cover, just the front one.

Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Rifle scope - 11/22/22
Most folks all needed is a cheapo $49.95 will suffice!
Posted By: DollarShort Re: Rifle scope - 11/22/22
I got a bloody nose from a double barrel 20 gauge when i was about five. But I obliterated that tin can on top of the fence post across the road!
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Rifle scope - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'll admit to it in hopes that someone will learn something from it.
This was from years ago. I'd put a set of flip up covers on my scope. The rear one stuck back nearly an inch behind the eye piece and I didn't take the extra length into account. I no longer have the rear cover, just the front one.

Dam that is funny Rock Chuck, love the smile on your face!

KB
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Rifle scope - 11/22/22
Eye relief should be set with scope on highest X !
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Rifle scope - 11/22/22
I never cut my eye. I remember getting popped enough to get my attention. It was one of my first times shooting a centerfire rifle. Being a slow learner I did it again a few shots later. I don’t remember getting hit since.
© 24hourcampfire