Home
Posted By: 222ND Knight muzzleloader question - 11/19/22
Bought an old 50 cal knight muzzleloader. The model is “American knight “ it uses a percussion cap and my question is how many grains of triple seven would be considered a max load when firing a 250 grain power belt? Thanks
100 grains is fine and pretty universal and plenty powerful without maxing anything out

Actually though 90 gr might more accurate load

Powerbelts are gay though.
Posted By: 222ND Re: Knight muzzleloader question - 11/19/22
We get a muzzleloader tag every 10-15 years in ND. What bullet isn’t gay?
Originally Posted by 222ND
We get a muzzleloader tag every 10-15 years in ND. What bullet isn’t gay?

Any easy load sabot and a Hornady XTP pistol bullet is good. I normally use the Harvester Crush Rib sabots and a 45 caliber Hornady pistol bullet.
XTP

oh but but but but but …they made their employees take some jabs or something

I like hornady XTP
Ran the black MMP sabots in mine w Rem 240gr JHP ( scalloped jacket ). They didnt open up much if any on deer, even w more exposed lead up front.
But they shot great. Back in the day. #11 and 100gr FFg.

Just drill em in the lungs and let em run a little before tipping over. Not the thing to do in the rain though.

If i found a NIB old wolverine Id go 209 conversion and run TC maxihunters. 275gr full bore goodness.
My old one shot em fine even w the fast twist.
This is a 250 grain hornady
Xtreme
Terminal
Performance

MMP low Pressure sabot

*even though my velocities call for a high pressure sabot, know-it-alls don’t always know it all

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by 222ND
Bought an old 50 cal knight muzzleloader. The model is “American knight “ it uses a percussion cap and my question is how many grains of triple seven would be considered a max load when firing a 250 grain power belt? Thanks
At least you are shooting powder instead of pellets with a cap
Might want to use 3f instead of 2 f with a p cap for better ignition.
Some other poster last week had basically same gun trying to touch off pellets with a p cap.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

90 grs of 777 3f probably get ya same velocity as 100gr of 7772f
Anything over 100gr IMO With a p cap your probably gonna be blowing unburnt powder out the muzzle.
With a tighter sealing bullet you can cut that down also for a more complete burn versus a loose seating bullet like a power belt.

Power belt bullets.......
Tried em long ago.
Bore sizes per manufacturers vary.
didn't find them accurate or consistent.
Depending on actual bore size per manufactuer.
They are designed for CVA rifles per all of that...
And they are soft generally.

And their are pretty pricey for what they are versus comparative price of better bullets.

Power belts have killed a lot of game per sheer #,s used.
But you also hear a lot about bad performance on game penetration wise and holding together also.
The 1 lung hit deer stories
The smash entrance rib and powerbelt disingrates from being too fast story.
The punched thru shoulder blade and that's as far as it went stories.

Lot of it might be operator error and lack of knowledge schitt.
But alot of it is too much to disregard also.

Midsouth shooters supply had some 250 grain 50 cal Barnes ml bullets in stocks.
Those will break both shoulders and spine.

BTDT with the 195 gr .45 cal Barnes ml expanders with .40 cal bullet.

Harvester saber tooth full bore bullets are good also.
They seal nice and tight and are accurate.

And the Sabertooth logo on the package is cool also.
LOL!!!
Pellets are ghey too

🤣🤣

Pellets and powerbelts —— ultra homo, God would never love you…ever !!
Originally Posted by slumlord
This is a 250 grain hornady
Xtreme
Terminal
Performance

MMP low Pressure sabot

*even though my velocities call for a high pressure sabot, know-it-alls don’t always know it all

Damn. That dropped him.
Convert it to 209 primers and use 2 pellets
Used 240 gr Hornady XTP in TC Break away sabots and the same bullet in another TC sabot when they discontinued the breakaway sabot.
16 yrs in a TC renegade 50 cal. W/ 1- 48 twist.
Pretty devastating and accurate bullet.

Plenty of bullets out their better than power belts IMO..

YMMV....
whatever works for you man....
Powerbelts

Made by Creedmoor
Guys down in the ML forum got alot of knowledge also.
Bigblock455 ???? IIRC is a good cat and has alot of good stuff to share also.
I have interacted with him over the yrs.
Didn't strike me as not knowing his schit.
And anyone that can tolerate a peckerhead like me can't be a bad or weak person.
LOL!!!
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Zactly.
Or loose powder.
Xtp sabot I’ve shot 240s 250s and 300 they all work nothing is better
Originally Posted by renegade50
And anyone that can tolerate a peckerhead like me can't be a bad or weak person.
LOL!!!

Sorry I don’t know the name.

I don’t go to the muzzleloader forum. I don’t require any assistance ☠️🤛
Yep, XTP 240 for deer, XTP 300 for moose and elk.
It's been a lot of years since I've fired anything other than a patched round ball from a smokepole, but the .44 caliber 250 grain XTP in a green sabot from a .50 caliber Hawken used to be my favorite load, over 80 grains of Pyrodex P. These days, I use real BP and a flintlock. Full penetration, usually with the ball just under the skin on the off side- - - -deer DRT or just a short run.
250 xtp is a bad ass, especially when fired from the Savage.
Posted By: 79S Re: Knight muzzleloader question - 11/19/22
Pellets are ghey too

🤣🤣

Nugget sad cause this is what I shoot in a muzzle loader I found at the dump couple years back. I decide to buy stuff to shoot, I was thinking what would be uncle slumlord shoot, pellets and powerbelts. Well i was wrong frown
LOL!!!

Sorry I don’t know the name.

I don’t go to the muzzleloader forum. I don’t require any assistance ☠️🤛

The Blackhorn 209 and breech plug design saga wit da Kodiak.

777FF powder....

👍👍👍
Originally Posted by 79S
Pellets are ghey too

🤣🤣

Nugget sad cause this is what I shoot in a muzzle loader I found at the dump couple years back. I decide to buy stuff to shoot, I was thinking what would be uncle slumlord shoot, pellets and powerbelts. Well i was wrong frown
Is it a CVA wolf with a konus scope combo???
Posted By: 79S Re: Knight muzzleloader question - 11/19/22
Originally Posted by 79S
Pellets are ghey too

🤣🤣

Is it a CVA wolf with a konus scope combo???

How did you know??
Slum have you tried the 300 grain XTP? I have a bunch.
Originally Posted by Mike_S
I’ve tried the .460 S&W mag .452 xtp rounds.
Loaded them for .454 and .45lc.
Not bad. Seemed to fly straight. Not as cheap
as others but puts holes in paper.
I have a Knight Wolverine in 50 caliber.
I cast my own 44 bullets and use the RCBS 250K mold.
I bought a bunch of Harvester Sabots and decided to use the Keith bullets and do so over 90 grains of Triple 777.
The four deer I’ve shot with the Keith’s seem to run a little farther than they do with XTP’s but they always leave a blood trail a blind man could follow.
Convert it to 209 primers and throw those damn cruddy ass 777 pellets away and go with Blackhorn 209. much cleaner, do not need to swap after every shot and way faster
I run a mk85 50 cal and 80grs 777 3f with a 495gr no excuses is shooting damn near sub moa. I added a williams foolproof rear target sight and it works out very well at 8 clicks to the minute.

I uploaded my data to strelok and pounded a pinecone at 240 yards.

I converted my original disc to bare 209 primer and shoot 100gr BH209 under a harvester crush rib with 240gr .44cal XTP’s, same in my encore, kills deer with ease. Most shots here are under 100 yds., The buck I shot this morning was 15yds. Probably could’ve hit him with an aluminum baseball bat if it was the only choice.
Originally Posted by high_country_
I uploaded my data to strelok and pounded a pinecone at 240.....

Dayom, y'all must have some big pine cones....
I thought the black horn 209 was a no go with the knights 🤷‍♂️Some unlucky got the plunger thru his head?,
I thought the black horn 209 was a no go with the knights 🤷‍♂️Some unlucky got the plunger thru his head?,

A tech at the Knight factory told me the plunger actions were not rated for BH 209. The bolt actions and break actions are OK for use with it.
I’ve shot 2lbs of BH209 through my converted disc with zero issues.
After a lot of trial and error with different powder, pellets and bullets I now shoot 90gr of loose Triple 7, 300gr .45 XTP, crush rib sabots and musket caps. My MK85 is very accurate and does the job with that load.
Originally Posted by smokepole

There's a lot of accuracy to be found in irons and front stuffers. I'm expecting to get over 500 with my current elevation potential.

We have to go old skool in MT, loose powder, no sabots, open sights, no 209’s just caps. I’m running 90 grains 777, 385 Great Plains, shoots as good as I can with open sight’s with my Ivestment arms Hawken.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
We have to go old skool in MT, loose powder, no sabots, open sights, no 209’s just caps. I’m running 90 grains 777, 385 Great Plains, shoots as good as I can with open sight’s with my Ivestment arms Hawken.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Hunting, Jeremiah Johnson style with a Hawken. Can you skin griz?
My hunting partner shoots a Knight 50 cal. with 95 grains of T7 and 44 cal 240 Grain XTP's. It has proven to be a death ray for the last 15 years. he has no plans to change the recipe. The XTP is an awesome bullet.
Originally Posted by smokepole

There's a lot of accuracy to be found in irons and front stuffers. I'm expecting to get over 500 with my current elevation potential.

That's some good shooting HC, with a pig of a bullet. Any idea what the BC of that thing (your No Excuses) is?
If I can borrow an Al Gore word, the consensus on PBs is that the ones from 295gr up are more dependable. My son killed two nice Fauquier County, VA bucks in a week using my .50 Renegade, 90gr FF777, and IIRC the 295s. Pass-throughs on both, and short dashes til they fell. An 8 and a 10, both good sized.

90gr is about as much as you want to use to avoid blowing out the bases. 70-90 is all you’ll ever need. Trying to pick up some speed by using light bullets is a waste of time. Carry a nipple pick and use it frequently.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Trying to pick up some speed by using light bullets is a waste of time.

+1, it's like a dog walking on its hind legs. Unless you go all the way with sabots, smokeless, and a scope for long ranges.
The next time I hunt deer with a smokepole, I'll be using an original 3-band Enfield made in Birmingham England in 1860, not some Italian-made replica. It shoots a .577 caliber 500 grain pure lead Minie' bullet over 60 grains of 2-F Goex, lit off with a musket cap. It shoots "minute of pie plate" groups out to about 75 yards, plenty accurate for close range deer. You guys who shoot into the next zip code need to add a little salt to your powder charge- - - - -it preserves the meat until you can hike over and do the field dressing.
The .577 Minie ball is a real game getter. Works well on whitetails, and wild hogs.
Or a mag percussion cap. Some 209 primers are not a lot hotter than a good magnum cap.
I have not tried any. No reason not to though.

My 250 gr out of my savage were always so incredibly accurate, consistently that I never bothered experiementing.
I was getting 3 inch ENTRANCE wounds on a lung shot with the Savage and the 250 XTP. Incredible performance. Accurate, too.
I have killed a pile of deer with an mk85 with 90 grains of Rbblack under a harvester sabot and a 240xtpk
I'm the guy renegade50 was talking about last week. I've shot nothing but pellets out of the same old Knight your talking about with percussion caps. Dad killed a pile of deer with it before I got it. Look the manual up online and you'll see it recommends 2 pellets. I've had some funky ignition problems this year, but it's usually 100% reliable. I do like the newer models with shotgun primers though. Break open cross bolt safety, I think I'm gonna retire the old Knight mk85.
I have not tried any. No reason not to though.

My 250 gr out of my savage were always so incredibly accurate, consistently that I never bothered experiementing.
.452 I suppose?
© 24hourcampfire