Home
We are looking for traditional heavy rectangular canvas sleeping bags rated for about -20° with cotton flannel lining and zippers with big teeth. We used to like Slumberjacks but they stopped making that style. We've had Alps Redwood canvas -25° bags for several years. But, the zippers have smaller teeth and pull apart and separate and recently broke altogether. We are finding that all of the companies have gone to smaller zippers. We use our bags for camping in the Western mountains and do not backpack. So, weight is not a concern. I am 6' 2" and my son 6' 6". So, we like big bags. My wife and I zip our bags together. So, that's a priority too. Any recommendations? Good old fashioned bags are hard to find! Thanks
https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-...ee-long-rectangular-sleeping-bag/p/p8370
Here you go

Maybe... Do you have this bag? Looks like it has some good features. Nice that it's 91" and canvas. My wife prefers 100% cotton lining though vs. poly-cotton.
These 0-degree Z-Top bags from Kodiak Canvas (tent mfg.) have a traditional style with the added benefit of unique coverage for your head and shoulders. The Z-Top can be configured differently or removed completely when not needed. They also have a booster quilt available to significantly extend the comfort range when necessary. The 0-degree bag with the booster quilt should get you close to the -20 degree rating you are looking for. The bag also has a 100% cotton liner.

You can find video reviews on YouTube. Maybe they will have Black Friday sales soon. Here is a link:

Kodiak Canvas Z-Top Sleeping Bags
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
These 0-degree Z-Top bags from Kodiak Canvas (tent mfg.) have a traditional style with the added benefit of unique coverage for your head and shoulders. The Z-Top can be configured differently or removed completely when not needed. They also have a booster quilt available to significantly extend the comfort range when necessary. The 0-degree bag with the booster quilt should get you close to the -20 degree rating you are looking for. It also has a 100% cotton liner.

You can find video reviews on YouTube. Maybe they will have Black Friday sales soon. Here is a link:

Kodiak Canvas Z-Top Sleeping Bags

Thanks for the suggestion. Cool video and looks like nice quality. But, I don't think I would like wearing something around my neck. Plus, my wife says she'd rather be able to pull the covers up over her head vs. leaving the head exposed.

I also appreciate being pointed to other manufacturers like that that I might otherwise miss rather than just the mainstream companies.
I do own this bag very warm
Just checked and it does have the small / fine zipper
Says you can zip 2 together
Great bag for the money in my opinion
Originally Posted by 270cowboy
I do own this bag very warm
Just checked and it does have the small / fine zipper
Says you can zip 2 together
Great bag for the money in my opinion

I appreciate the recommendation. They're out of stock online. I often wish we had Sportsmen's Warehouse stores closer to us! I'll keep it in mind. We're looking for a new bag for our son for Christmas. He works in CO and WY and winter camps in his truck. My wife and I need new ones too. But, not till summer.
I have a -20 magnum 44 from Cabelas. Had it about 10 years now. Very comfortable and warm
Originally Posted by Mossy
I have a -20 magnum 44 from Cabelas. Had it about 10 years now. Very comfortable and warm

That might be a good suggestion. I forgot about those! Like I said, my son is 6' 6". How is the zipper on those? Big gnarly teeth? I'm seeing a lot of smooth small teeth ones that don't hold together.
Anyone have the Stansport bags? I only see -10° bags and cheaper than some. But, I'm curious about the quality.
Originally Posted by msquared

That might be a good suggestion. I forgot about those! Like I said, my son is 6' 6". How is the zipper on those? Big gnarly teeth? I'm seeing a lot of smooth small teeth ones that don't hold together.

Yep, big heavy duty zipper
We are looking for traditional heavy rectangular canvas sleeping bags rated for about -20° with cotton flannel lining and zippers with big teeth. We used to like Slumberjacks but they stopped making that style. We've had Alps Redwood canvas -25° bags for several years. But, the zippers have smaller teeth and pull apart and separate and recently broke altogether. We are finding that all of the companies have gone to smaller zippers. We use our bags for camping in the Western mountains and do not backpack. So, weight is not a concern. I am 6' 2" and my son 6' 6". So, we like big bags. My wife and I zip our bags together. So, that's a priority too. Any recommendations? Good old fashioned bags are hard to find! Thanks

Damn that sucks about the Slumberjacks. I have one and it’s my favorite

Maybe just get yours to a guy with a heavy duty sewing machine like an upholster for a zipper install?
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Damn that sucks about the Slumberjacks. I have one and it’s my favorite

Maybe just get yours to a guy with a heavy duty sewing machine like an upholster for a zipper install?

Yeah, we loved the Slumberjacks. We used them until the fabric lining rotted and shredded and then bought more just like them, The zippers never failed either. It looks like Slumberjack has gone "Yuppie"! Just cheap modern stuff now. Actually my son still has one. But, it's not warm enough for what he does.
There's only one best.

https://butlerbags.us/
Originally Posted by Salmonella
There's only one best.

Are those heavier than hell?
There's only one best.

WOW! Those are nice. Probably worth the $540 price in the long run. But...
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
There's only one best.

22 pounds
There's only one best.

22 pounds

Perfect.

They will try and tell you that a 3 pound sleeping bag will keep you warm on Mars....but they are lying.

My old slumberjack would knock a tooth out of you if someone threw it.
Military issue, heavy winter.. down at your local Army Navy surplus store....
M1938 Arctic Bag?
Originally Posted by Seafire

I slept in a down Army surplus mummy bag... ...ONCE!!!

No good?

No good?

I like them and find them to be extremely comfortable with the cotton shell/lining with the heavy canvas lace-on cover. Not sure they are adequate for -20 and they probably wouldn't be the best for giant people, though.
Well...it gets cold up here and I am a giant person.

Probably give it a pass!

No good?

I felt very trapped in the mummy bag. But, they are warm
There's only one best.

22 pounds

Perfect.

They will try and tell you that a 3 pound sleeping bag will keep you warm on Mars....but they are lying.

They ain't backpacking bags.
There's only one best.

22 pounds

Perfect.

You have a horse aint ya?
At least two categories of Army bags. Plus different fills through the years, reserch it. It's too lake, late for me.
Cabelas Outfitter XL -20 has been a good bag for me.
And I generally hate Cabelas gear.
Butler bags...
There's only one best.

22 pounds

Perfect.

I agree. Get naked in a light weight one rated
for the temp. Have your wife naked to if possible.
Originally Posted by RUM7
I haven’t used or needed one of those. Do they work good?Always
used bag I was issued, slept with my wool blanket
I was issued or had tent/camper with a heater.I’m in
Northern California so my temps can be rather easy.
I have a Butler bag and it gets my vote as well.

Here is another option to look into.
https://westernhunter.net/shop/gear/the-famous-western-hunter-sleep-system-all-season/
Another idea is to get a less expensive sleeping bag and put it into a cowboy bedroll. I have the lightweight Butler bag and put it in a canvas bedroll. I am always amazed at how warm I stay even when it's bitter cold.
https://www.davistent.com/product/cowboy-bed-roll-med/
Another vote for the Cabela's 44 Mag bag......I've had one for about 10 years now and enjoy it!
I will have to check the brand on my bag which is 30 years old or better now and the flannel inner is starting to shred. My boss from Samuelson outfitters bought it for me many years ago. I am thinking it was a slumberjack. They did not suck!

I've had this bag for 12 years and love it. Just used it this past third season at 9,000 feet. Got to minus 5 one night and I stayed really warm with just a Mr. Buddy. Very comfortable and easy to zip.
I like the Cabela’s Outfitter XL and the 44 Magnum. I know plenty others work great too but I can’t attest to their durability after multiple washings.

I use commercial machines to wash our bags and they have held up GREAT !
I've got a Cabela's Trapper bag rated for 0 degrees. It ain't bad for the money, heavy canvas and flannel. Not a high end bag though.
Does bASS pro have RedHead making cheaper bags with no warranty for Cabelas to replace the good bags they sold? Usually all you find at Cabelas these days is cheap Chinese garbage.
There's only one best.

That looks like a really good bag. I have a Wiggy's which is also a very good bag, but they are nylon. I would have preferred canvas.
tag
I don't know about canvas, I've heard good things about the Canadian Woods Artic Star.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Does bASS pro have RedHead making cheaper bags with no warranty for Cabelas to replace the good bags they sold? Usually all you find at Cabelas these days is cheap Chinese garbage.
I'm not sure about all that, my canvas bag is at least 10 years old. It's not bad.

Did you have their 7n1 bag that was supposedly good to -40?
Here is your huckleberry.

https://tetonsports.com/products/bridger-35-f-canvas-sleeping-bag-with-cotton-lining

You can buy a left zipper and right zipper to make a large bed. I have had a similar one of these for several years and it has worked very well. I had never had a zipper problem yet.
Good advise with the canvas cowboy bed roll.
There is also the Canvas Cutter bedroll system, sans sleeping bag I believe, but pricey!

Have new zippers of your choice sewn into your existing bags??????????
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Have new zippers of your choice sewn into your existing bags??????????
It's crossed my mind to get a price. But it's probably more complex and expensive than we think.
I had two of the sportsmans bags and the zippers broke after not much use. I have a wenzel Shenandoa that is still going strong after years. Don't know what I'll do after it gives up the ghost. I use a ee quilt for backpacking. I may make a cowboy tarp and use that with the down quilt plus a larger synthetic quilt and some thick wool blankets
Teton Sports has what you need. The zippers are good and they have a xxl size. I have a few of them and have never had a problem. I can say we probably use them more than most and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
Originally Posted by fester
I'm in NorCal also. I just hunt in schietty weather. Being from where I am, I am not the toughest about cold weather.
The Cabelas bag has been roomy and warm for me. As a disclaimer, I'll say I only use it about 5 nights a year. Usually we can hunt out of the travel trailer when it is feasible.
I'm in NorCal also. I just hunt in schietty weather. Being from where I am, I am not the toughest about cold weather.
The Cabelas bag has been roomy and warm for me. As a disclaimer, I'll say I only use it about 5 nights a year. Usually we can hunt out of the travel trailer when it is feasible.
The military one I was issued is a darn good fart bag.
Imo. I don’t have much to compare them to except the
cheap sleeping bags you get at big5 etc……
This bag has served me well many times when necessary. Kept me dry and warm while not sleeping in a tent or camper. I’m talking some cold nights, to me anyway. Below freezing, 20-30f. I know, not cold, I’m a puhzzy.
But those bags work.
This bag has served me well many times when necessary. Kept me dry and warm while not sleeping in a tent or camper. I’m talking some cold nights, to me anyway. Below freezing, 20-30f. I know, not cold, I’m a puhzzy.
But those bags work.
Anything below 40 if F-ing cold as far as I'm concerned.
I aint built for cold weather or humidity.
Quincy, bucks lake area, Laporte. It gets cold.
But those bags work.
Anything below 40 if F-ing cold as far as I'm concerned.
I aint built for cold weather or humidity.
You and me both. The Sierras have my attention. It can get cold up there. Even in October.
Originally Posted by ro1459

I've had this bag for 12 years and love it. Just used it this past third season at 9,000 feet. Got to minus 5 one night and I stayed really warm with just a Mr. Buddy. Very comfortable and easy to zip.

I have the 44 magnum -20 and have used it for 5 years. It is very durable and very warm. It was around 20 degrees this past weekend and I had no use for a heater.

I bought my wife the Kodiak Canvas bag this year with the booster and she absolutely loved it. She kept warm all night, which I thought was an impossibility. The extras you get with the Kodiak bags are damn good too. Canvas storage bags come with each piece and they are over sized so there is no effort putting them back up.
Originally Posted by BluMtn
Here is your huckleberry.

Do you realize what that even means?
© 24hourcampfire