Home
Posted By: Terryk Car market bubble - 11/21/22
Youtube has plenty of "experts" saying the car market is in trouble.
Seems production is up, and the chip shortage is ending. New car inventory is doubled from a year ago.
Used car prices are falling every month at the wholesale level. Interest rates are climbing, foreclosures on used cars are climbing too, and banks are reducing loan allocations for used cars.
Stimulus money is over, and inflation will cause more defaults on loans. So used cars prices will crash, and new cars will be tougher for more people to buy, given higher interest, and lower trade value.
Anyway this "story" is a popular topic on youtube now. So, if it is true, cars should be cheaper by spring. Many are saying new car incentives will be very soon.
Local Chevy dealer has a nice 2015 Tacoma for sale. It is listed for 30K. MSRP 8 years ago was 26,355. Aged like a fine wine.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
My newest (wife's....still mine)

is an '11 Lexus GX

Oldest is an '01 LC

No need to replace any of the fleet here

Sold my '14 Taco DC SB manual for $26K Mar '21 & 95K miles

Kinda miss the ole Taco
Posted By: RHutch Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
Good news. Will need to buy a lightly used car for daughter #2 in the next 12-18 months.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
Im in need of a truck. Going Taco Trd route, 41,000 is about the price now. Guys here tell me its the going rate. Pretty dang pricy for a mid size truck. Hope its worth it. Local dealer has you put 500 down then when they get one you get first dibs on it. Saw 7 or 8 people on the list.
Posted By: Jerry_Lundegaard Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
Same thing is happening with the UTV/ATV market. Gonna be a lot of smoking deals on 1-2 year old UTV/ATV’s! People thinking about selling that $30K SxS Covid impulse buy are about to be underwater.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
I have 2 cars. I am thinking of selling one on Craigs list now, and trading the 2018 4runner on a 23 in the spring. I retired, so I don't want 2 cars anymore. If I sell my second car now, I may be ahead of the bust. Anyway the anticipated fallout is interesting. Like watching a dam leak.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
Home market bubble is next.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
There isn’t anything they can’t screw up.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
Cars are way down already, and availability is up. There's actually a chip glut right now. Equipment prices are crashing as well -- less houses being built, lots of contractors selling off excess skid steers, backhoes, excavators, etc. They have seen busts before and want to stay ahead of the curve.

Not sure it will be a crash, there's not that much new out there yet, and there's still a back log of demand from two years of very limited new production. Same with housing. Yes, sales are dropping, but prices aren't in most places. Still a lot of demand, but very few people are willing to sell a house with a 2-1/2% interest rate to move into a 7% interest rate, and new construction is slowing way down.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
It may be cooling a bit...but don't get too excited yet. I bought a new one about 10 days ago. During my month-long-ish hunt, I found that 80%+ of the dealer still had significant charges above MSRP, usually between $3K and $5K. Most of the rest had plenty of 'extras' tacked on that they wouldn't remove. I just took my time, did most of the negotiating online, and got a deal I'm very satisfied with. They still gave me nearly $2K more for my old vehicle as a trade-in than I planned on selling it for, which is a nice bonus on the tax bill.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
It might take a little more time for it to become sane again.

As for sxs's they have been crazy for a long time but went really bad when the plague hit.

Would not mind getting one but don't want to pay what i did for my f-150 for it. smirk
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
Yeah I'm good on The vehicle front. None are new but they are paid for and run good. I couldn't imagine spending north of $60k on a new vehicle. But then again, to each their own! I live a very humble and comfortable life. I used to get a new vehicle every year up until about 12 years ago and decided that I could be content with my used vehicles and instead of spending the money on car payments, I can instead, buy the guns and toys that I want.
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
Sounds good and all, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
Interest rates are going up

New car prices are crazy

Yep a reckoning is on the horizon
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
2023 is going to be interesting, I expect some large price pullbacks in realestate and auto's. The home building marking is already tanking, it's going to be a tough year in construction. It's takes 12-18 months to feel the full affect of the rate hikes, tail end of 23 will be a full blown recession I think. So you still have 6-8 months before things get really chitty.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
If you bought a new home the last two years, you better stay awhile
Posted By: Calvin Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
It’s going to be interesting. Not sure how vehicles will play out. For real estate its officially a buyers market in some markets. Once the I buyers and new construction has to sell, they will take the market with them. Don’t think it will be a crash but probably back to 2020 prices. Fortunately most private sellers have a lot of equity to lose at this point before going under water.
Posted By: EdM Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
I'll stick with my 1970 Dart.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
Originally Posted by EdM

We've seen pictures of your garage, Ed.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
I've has a diesel suburban on order since the first of the year. They said there are still at least 20 diesel orders ahead of me st that 1 dealership and they rarely get allocated a diesel suburban. They said it could easily be another year.

Bb
Posted By: EdM Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by EdM

We've seen pictures of your garage, Ed.

Valve cover leaks every six months...
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
I just bought a house in Wyoming at what I consider a fair price. Have been looking for a new side by side Yamaha Wolverine......MSRP PLUS fees....told them to pound sand. I'll just keep riding the Grizzly ATV.

Bought my F350 Super Duty Diesel 4x4 in 2020 before the crisis hit.....at a greatly discounted price. Perfect timing on that purchase!

I'll be waiting before I make any further large purchases.

Frog---OUT!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
Originally Posted by Terryk
Seems production is up, and the chip shortage is ending. New car inventory is doubled from a year ago.
Used car prices are falling every month at the wholesale level. Interest rates are climbing, foreclosures on used cars are climbing too, and banks are reducing loan allocations for used cars.
Stimulus money is over, and inflation will cause more defaults on loans. So used cars prices will crash, and new cars will be tougher for more people to buy, given higher interest, and lower trade value.
Anyway this "story" is a popular topic on youtube now. So, if it is true, cars should be cheaper by spring. Many are saying new car incentives will be very soon.
Local Chevy dealer has a nice 2015 Tacoma for sale. It is listed for 30K. MSRP 8 years ago was 26,355. Aged like a fine wine.

If new cars are going to be hard to buy, it doesn't make sense that used cars will crash. Used cars went up like a rocket because you couldn't buy new.
Plus, used car availability is tied to new car availability on both ends.
If new cars aren't within reach, people don't trade, that limits the used car supply. If a guy actually needing another can't buy new, he buys used instead. Pulling from the already limited supply.

Eventually, it works it's way down the price scale, with traditional new buyers buying off the top, pushing the people who might buy there to move down a tier.

That happened last time.
Used selling for more than new, clear down to the $2500 car suddenly costing $4000.

High interest will affect used cars more than new.
You can more easily get, and get better rates, on new car loans.
This won't stop used car purchases, but it may push people down the price scale.

A new dealer told us 2 months ago he was seeing a big uptick in people stopping in to sell a car. Most, trying to get out of a loan that inflation had suddenly made burdensome. Unfortunately for them, many had bought the cars at inflated prices and not payed them down much. Now, they are trying to get out when the market is down. 2 years of payments, and they are still way upside down.

I guess im looking out farther?
My ideas kick in as your scenario plays out.
If we are both right, a guy running a car he likes but doesn't think he wants to keep for more than a year or two might want to trade up sooner.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
LOL...

I have a very strong relationship with my Toyota dealer...

Took the 2022 Sienna hybrid in for a free oil change/inspection. They offered me $10k over what I paid. We all laughed about it.

I asked how bad it really was...

"We won't even take orders for them anymore... and the people on the current list will most likely be getting 2024 and 2025 model years."

This is a large dealership in a major city.
Posted By: LazyL0228 Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
We sold 1 SUV, 3 trucks, 1 SXS. Retired in 2019 when forced to do the jab, 30 years as a union pipefitter. Got way above market price. Waiting on the crash miss my SXS.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
I'm just hoping I can get another 3 years out of my 2010 Taco. Haven't had a car payment in 6 years and I enjoy that feeling.
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Interest rates are going up

New car prices are crazy

Yep a reckoning is on the horizon

Reckoning is one word for it... Collapse is another...
Originally Posted by bbassi
I'm just hoping I can get another 3 years out of my 2010 Taco. Haven't had a car payment in 6 years and I enjoy that feeling.

Might want to stockpile common parts and such...

i.e. A $1,000 order at Rockauto today... may save you much trouble in the future.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
Guess I won't worry about high interest rates for a long while. My house is paid for as are my two vehicles. I've had the Explorer 4x4 since 1998 when I bought it for the wife. My 2019 F150 4x4 had half the price paid for by my insurance company and I paid it off when the payment book came in. Paid the house off the same year I bought the Explorer. Figured I did something right for a change.
PJ
Posted By: KYFRED Re: Car market bubble - 11/21/22
Good friend in the industry says the upper end SUV's and trucks are already dropping by the week. Down 15% in 2 months
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Car market bubble - 11/22/22
If there are plenty of chips why hasn't GM installed mine that are months overdue?
Posted By: dale06 Re: Car market bubble - 11/22/22
Ordered a new 2022 Silverado last May. It never was built. Changed the order to a 2023 in August. Dealer has no clue when it will arrive.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Car market bubble - 11/22/22
Still ridin the '18 Kawi'

Paid $17200 in '18 OTD

Now with 5300 miles

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Car market bubble - 11/22/22
Sounds good, but the new car lots still look pretty bare around here. I’d like to get the wife a newer, nicer vehicle in the next year or two, but hers runs fine, so we’ll wait out the rapings taking place currently.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Car market bubble - 11/22/22
Some manufacturer inventories are still low while others are near normal.

https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-i...es-falling-it-depends-on-where-you-look/
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Car market bubble - 11/22/22
The way I see it will bankrupt the auto makers which goes right alon with the grand plan of all electric cars
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Car market bubble - 11/22/22
March 16, 2023 at 01432 Zulu the entire vehicle market will collapse and everything will be FREE! FOREVER!

BOOK IT!
Posted By: centershot Re: Car market bubble - 11/22/22
Raising interest rates will take a huge toll on the car market. Not many can go drop $65K for a new truck without some kind of financing.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Car market bubble - 11/22/22
All jokes aside, I've seen inventory improve slightly on certain models the past 3 weeks. Not sure if this is due to the 2023 model year or people starting to see the light. Regardless, short of an actual depression that none here have ever experienced, prices won't free fall on new vehicles. Incentives will get more gooder, prices might retract (slightly), but you'll still walk funny after the deal is done and you're headed home.

YMMV
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Car market bubble - 11/22/22
We took delivery on a RAV4 Hybrid back in April, we had to wait four months for it then.

Today, I got an email from the local dealer, who had had a miserable time trying to get them, and they had five RAV4s in stock, and they wanted to move them. We paid cash for her RAV4, and I'm considering buying one for myself, but I'm going to wait until we get my mother's house sold, so I don't have to finance it. That hybrid thingy is kinda neat, I wouldn't mind having one myself, and the 39+ mpg is pretty nice, too. I don't need even a small pickup any more, I can get by with a RAV4 just fine.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Car market bubble - 11/22/22
Well used cars won't be selling for more than new cars, that is for sure.
Used car loans are a record level for late payments right now. This is sure to lead to record loan defaults as inflation erodes the monthly budget.
The banks will take the hit, but you know that comes back to the consumer somehow.
Supply, demand, interest rates, inflation, all have impact.

2022 Ram trucks have 3250.00 cash back plus 0% interest rate.
https://www.ramtrucks.com/incentives/bonus-incentives.html

Ford has cash rebates and special finance rates too.
https://www.realcartips.com/ford-incentives/

Chevy too.
https://www.chevrolet.com/current-deals#?requestedPostalcode=16801&vehicleType=all&postalcode=16801&open-panel=OfferType&open-panel=silverado:silverado-1500&offer=Finance&offer=Cash&focusedFilter=offer
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Car market bubble - 11/22/22
Carvana is about to go bankrupt which I think will start the collapse.

I've heard, on youtube, that lots of people bought ridiculously overpriced cars on credit and then asked for covid loan forbearance. Now that the "relief" is ending a bunch will be repossessed.

Housing market moves slower but it also doesn't look good until the government starts handing out money again.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Car market bubble - 11/22/22
In 2019 I bought a new body style ram 1500 Laramie that stickered for $58,000+ for $39,600 after rebates and dealer discounts. I traded it in last year for $48,000 on an f150 hybrid.

I miss the days of huge discounts and rebates on cars. I'm looking forward to prices coming down. It sounds like it may still be a little while though. I just wonder if the diesel suburban I ordered the first of the year will ever be built. If diesel prices keep climbing it may not be worth it.

Bb
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Car market bubble - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
All jokes aside, I've seen inventory improve slightly on certain models the past 3 weeks. Not sure if this is due to the 2023 model year or people starting to see the light. Regardless, short of an actual depression that none here have ever experienced, prices won't free fall on new vehicles. Incentives will get more gooder, prices might retract (slightly), but you'll still walk funny after the deal is done and you're headed home.

YMMV

After the local dealer told us about folks trying to sell,
We were in another and I ask him about inventory.
He said they are getting a good flow, not enough to stock much but
they were moving a good number monthly. In and out.

He says he doesn't foresee the days of big stocking dealers coming back.
Acres of asphalt are expensive. People keeping those cars clean are expensive.

The floor plan?😣😣😣😣😣
He represents 7 dealerships. Their floor plan costs were in the million$ pre-covid. That is a hell of a lot of cars sold just to pay interest on having cars to sell. Even with fewer sales now, their profits are way higher.
Posted By: Diesel Re: Car market bubble - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Terryk

If new cars are going to be hard to buy, it doesn't make sense that used cars will crash. Used cars went up like a rocket because you couldn't buy new.
Plus, used car availability is tied to new car availability on both ends.
If new cars aren't within reach, people don't trade, that limits the used car supply. If a guy actually needing another can't buy new, he buys used instead. Pulling from the already limited supply.

Eventually, it works it's way down the price scale, with traditional new buyers buying off the top, pushing the people who might buy there to move down a tier.

That happened last time.
Used selling for more than new, clear down to the $2500 car suddenly costing $4000.

High interest will affect used cars more than new.
You can more easily get, and get better rates, on new car loans.
This won't stop used car purchases, but it may push people down the price scale.

A new dealer told us 2 months ago he was seeing a big uptick in people stopping in to sell a car. Most, trying to get out of a loan that inflation had suddenly made burdensome. Unfortunately for them, many had bought the cars at inflated prices and not payed them down much. Now, they are trying to get out when the market is down. 2 years of payments, and they are still way upside down.

I guess im looking out farther?
My ideas kick in as your scenario plays out.
If we are both right, a guy running a car he likes but doesn't think he wants to keep for more than a year or two might want to trade up sooner.
[quote=Terryk]Youtube has plenty of "experts" saying the car market is in trouble.

I agree. I need a newer truck. I will not pay the price today for used OR new. Even with new vehicles coming with incentives in the future, the price will still be too high. That forces people to go used and that keeps used prices up. This will take a while to unwind.

That people voted demorat will prolong the agony in my opinion.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Car market bubble - 11/22/22
I've been hearing/reading this prediction for 8 or 9 months. Is this now when it occurs?

I'm all in when it happens, need to help oldest buy a new vehicle and bride is going to need a new one soon.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Car market bubble - 11/22/22

The floor plan?😣😣😣😣😣
He represents 7 dealerships. Their floor plan costs were in the million$ pre-covid. That is a hell of a lot of cars sold just to pay interest on having cars to sell. Even with fewer sales now, their profits are way higher.

I wonder if the manufacturers will try to force dealers to take on more inventory than they want to carry.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Car market bubble - 11/30/22
Has it imploded yet? I saw a puddle on the ground and the neighbors cat hasn’t been around in a few days. Pretty sure I’m gonna be in the market soon. Cheaper the better.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Car market bubble - 11/30/22
Originally Posted by rainshot
There isn’t anything they can’t screw up.

And they're doing a fine job of it.
Posted By: 1beaver_shooter Re: Car market bubble - 11/30/22
That sounds about right ,the wife went wild and bought a coachman rv a couple of years back for way more than I thought it was worth and now I need to get rid of it , once more buy high sell low. Anyone want a 98 leprechaun for 15 k? Ford v10 triton most every thing works, clean, needs generator but runs on shore power.
Posted By: badger Re: Car market bubble - 11/30/22
My '14 Ram 2500 (Cummins) with 202k miles has an easy 150-200k left in it, wife's 2018 BMW 540i with 25k is still "new", my '01 540i with lots of Dinan goodies is barely broken in at 135k miles, and my "old timer" '85 M635Csi isn't going anywhere. I just did a thorough refresh on the '01, about $8k retail and it drives like a new one.

I'm pretty set for a good while, and I like what I have...............
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Car market bubble - 11/30/22
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Carvana is about to go bankrupt which I think will start the collapse.

I've heard, on youtube, that lots of people bought ridiculously overpriced cars on credit and then asked for covid loan forbearance. Now that the "relief" is ending a bunch will be repossessed.

Housing market moves slower but it also doesn't look good until the government starts handing out money again.
I believe you are correct about Carvana. I see a half dozen of their delivery trucks at the car auction. I watched one pull into the auction with a used car on the back as I passed last week. The delivery trucks are parked with the truck to be sold so I’m thinking they’re sending a car and a truck to auction and neither leave as Carvana.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Car market bubble - 11/30/22
This whole thread seems to say "nasty mess coming soon" in the vehicle business. Notmuch of an issue in our case, but sme questions for the knowledgeable here:
1. If I want to sell two 20 year old small ATVs in excellent condition and get a newer bigger one - like a Grizzly - best to jump, or wait, or?

2. If I simply want to sell a small to mid size Massey Ferguson 4wd tractor with low hours and excellent condition, best to do it very soon?

3. 20 year old high end motorhome (short version) with 90k on great gas engine - very good overall condition - have decided to sell - jump or wait?
Posted By: killerv Re: Car market bubble - 11/30/22
Originally Posted by Jerry_Lundegaard
Same thing is happening with the UTV/ATV market. Gonna be a lot of smoking deals on 1-2 year old UTV/ATV’s! People thinking about selling that $30K SxS Covid impulse buy are about to be underwater.

I saw someone trying to sell a used honda pioneer 1000-5 for 31k the other day....hey, but it had a factory windshield
Funny, I'm an a gmc page on occasion and just a couple months ago everyone was clammoring and begging to pay msrp instead of markup and this week they are calling out all the dealers for asking for msrp!
Originally Posted by dale06
Ordered a new 2022 Silverado last May. It never was built. Changed the order to a 2023 in August. Dealer has no clue when it will arrive.

What engine? They still havent fixed the lifter issue in the 53 or 62
Posted By: Teal Re: Car market bubble - 11/30/22
Originally Posted by killerv
Originally Posted by Jerry_Lundegaard

I saw someone trying to sell a used honda pioneer 1000-5 for 31k the other day....hey, but it had a factory windshield

I tend to be of the opinion that for things like a UTV/ATV which are so easily beat/abused and often so - I'd only ever buy new. Ain't buying someone else's flogging mule.
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife

YMMV

Our local govt just instituted a storm water runoff tax on businesses, your building and any concrete surfaces. Buddy who has a small flooring center just got sent a 3500 bill for his square footage. Can't imagine what a huge dealership would cost.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Car market bubble - 11/30/22
Wife's car dealer around here has been texting and cold calling for service work I suspect the Boss said to do to do that ... cuz they're not getting any rigs to sell...
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Car market bubble - 11/30/22
I’m good for now and I just need to finish off my last project by selling my old 2002 dodge. I bought a 2010 f150 work truck at auction with a blown motor for $4000. I’ve put a new reman motor in it. 5 yar unlimited mile warranty. Tax , tag , and title I’m into it for @$9900. It’s a straight and well kept truck. It was used by the guy who marked underground utilities for a local waste water company in south Florida. I bought it sight unseen online so was cringing a little as I arrived to pick it up. Turned out to be a steal. Seats are near perfect as they had seat covers on from new. Guys in the yard said the guy who drove it was fat and lazy. It mostly sat and idled. It’s why it blew up I’m sure. 5.4 with age doesn’t get enough oil to the cams at idle. They’ll heads came apart. Found a piece of valve in the intake manifold !
Friends have bought new and used F350 diesels in the last year and they were stupid expensive. I’m thankful I don’t feel the need for new expensive cars and trucks. I’ll keep buying and fixing older vehicles for cash cheap.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Car market bubble - 11/30/22
we're all going to end up like Cubans, we'll be putting a Kawasaki mower engine in a 2003 Acura TL
Posted By: las Re: Car market bubble - 11/30/22
Despite my wife's objections, I'll hang onto the 2003 Quad 3500 Cummins Ram for a few more years. Body is good - just turned 125K. Lots of life left in it, now that I've replaced most of the original factory junk (water pump, hubs, injector, etc.)

Doubt I'll buy another Dodge, tho.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Car market bubble - 11/30/22
Originally Posted by las
Despite my wife's objections, I'll hang onto the 2003 Quad 3500 Cummins Ram for a few more years. Body is good - just turned 125K. Lots of life left in it, now that I've replaced most of the original factory junk (water pump, hubs, injector, etc.)
Doubt I'll buy another Dodge, tho.
I think you have an excellent truck there. Yes, fit of bodies not great and a front susp/hub issue here and there, but very strong down the middle. Bosch high pressure pump seems to go out by 150k in some of these, but aftermarket/rebuilt replacement is pretty good. Do you have a 6spd manual?
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Car market bubble - 12/01/22
If diesel keeps climbing I'll regret ordering a diesel suburban. May have to change it to a 6.2 gasser if the women engineering them at gm have figured out the valve train issues. A 6.2 z71 would be ok and may even get built in the next year.

Bb
© 24hourcampfire