Home
https://justthenews.com/nation/science/researchers-find-rare-bird-first-time-140-years

Researchers sighted a black-naped pheasant-pigeon for the first time in 140 years after searching a small island off of Papua New Guinea for a month.

A team captured footage of the bird in September deep in a forest on Fergusson Island, the BBC reported Friday.

Before capturing footage of the ground-dwelling pigeon, researchers conducted countless interviews with locals, set 20 camera traps and even had a run-in with pirates.

Expedition co-lead John Mittermeier said it felt like "finding a unicorn."

Researchers previously attempted to find the bird in 2019 but did not have any luck. The most recent expedition appeared to be going similarly until the team came to villages on the slope of the island's highest peak.

One local told researchers he saw the bird several times and heard its distinctive calls, so they set up cameras in the area and captured images of the pheasant-pigeon. The photos are the first documentation of the bird since 1882.

"It is the kind of moment you dream about your entire life as a conservationist and birdwatcher," Mittermeier said.
OK
So when does hunting season start
Looks like it may taste pretty good

Just Sayin
Tastes sort of like spotted owl, or ivory-billed woodpecker!
These folks can find a bird no one has seen in 150 years or so… maybe the detectives in Idaho should be bringing these guys in on the case.

Osky
Sooo… there’s hope for Bigfoot???
Bigfoot is a wookiee you can see him on star wars
OMG everything is extinct, OR, we just didn't see them..... Oops!
Now they need to find a few passenger pigeons
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

That would be pretty cool but I don’t have much hope. I recall reading somewhere, maybe the Lewis and Clark’s journals, that one of the awe inspiring sights they saw along with the massive buffalo herds was the sky-darkening flocks of passenger pigeons.

It would’ve been an incredible place to be out west here in the early 19th century. The size of the bucks and bulls and the buffalo herds would’ve been a hunters heaven. The salmon runs with the average chinook running 50 pounds and the near shore shallow water fishing for halibut, ling cod and yelloweye would’ve been incredible.
And how many do the natives EAT ever year.........
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

That would be pretty cool but I don’t have much hope. I recall reading somewhere, maybe the Lewis and Clark’s journals, that one of the awe inspiring sights they saw along with the massive buffalo herds was the sky-darkening flocks of passenger pigeons.

It would’ve been an incredible place to be out west here in the early 19th century. The size of the bucks and bulls and the buffalo herds would’ve been a hunters heaven. The salmon runs with the average chinook running 50 pounds and the near shore shallow water fishing for halibut, ling cod and yelloweye would’ve been incredible.

Accounts of Atlantic salmon being so large and numerous in streams in Upstate NY you could collect them with a pitchfork.
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
And how many do the natives EAT ever year.........

I dunno but they might recoup a few bucks from visiting birders now.
Well, that's pretty cool.

I was hoping for a "Redneck Honest Politician", myself. smile
Originally Posted by las
Well, that's pretty cool.

I was hoping for a "Redneck Honest Politician", myself. smile

Those are a myth, not extinct, just sayin'. grin

Ed
Male, female or trans?
just one question about this.
was this Roundoak guy on the research team?
Wasn't it on just such a secluded island that King Kong was discovered?
The science was settled.
And who paid for this ?
If only they could find a dodo bird on Mauritius Island - that would really make my day . . .
That’s one very old bird! 😁 memtb
They should have borrowed my English Setters. Could have found this one and his friends. Hasbeen
send that one over to my bird feeders, that one will be extinct too
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
If only they could find a dodo bird on Mauritius Island - that would really make my day . . .

I looked for one when I was there, didn't see a single one in any of the bars or beaches.
© 24hourcampfire