Home
Posted By: Seafire For Aviation Buffs: SR 72 - 11/22/22
Faster than a speeding bullet? Well, Ummmm YEAH!! :

[img]
[/img]
Posted By: 12344mag Re: For Aviation Buffs: SR 72 - 11/22/22
Wow!

Impressive.
Dang near faster than me. Fingers crossed.
The ‘State Route 72’???
Posted By: BFaucett Re: For Aviation Buffs: SR 72 - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
The ‘State Route 72’???

Yeah, that kind of thing makes one wonder about the accuracy / legitimacy of some of these military tech channels on YouTube.

Lockheed Martin SR-72
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_SR-72
Posted By: Frank_K Re: For Aviation Buffs: SR 72 - 11/22/22
You boneheads, State Route 72 is built to replace CR-71 (County Route 71) EVERYBODY knows an SR is faster than a CR!
Posted By: Pat85 Re: For Aviation Buffs: SR 72 - 11/22/22
Yeah right, like they are going to blab to the world that a successor to the SR 71 is in the works.
The ‘State Route 72’???

that stuck in my craw as well. Sierra Romeo would be more appropriate.
Posted By: tdbob Re: For Aviation Buffs: SR 72 - 11/22/22
Cool looking plane, nice commercial.
Posted By: Seafire Re: For Aviation Buffs: SR 72 - 11/22/22
Compare the size of the A/C in comparison with the towing unit.

That is not a very big A/C at all... but since it doesn't need a crewman, and tech things can be made a lot smaller in today's world vs in the 60s when the SR 71 Came out...

no wonder that bird has the speed capability it does...

What interests me is what have they used for the skin on the SR 72 to withstand the air friction. If you've ever seen videos of some of the first flights of the B 70 back in the 1970s... they were painted white, with some special additives to keep the A/C cool from the air friction, The B 70 could obtain speeds in testing capabilities, that eventually would peal the paint off the skin, and it burst into flames from air resistance/ friction.

I also know the SR 71s, would leak fuel like crazy until they got airborn and opened up their throttle, air friction would heat up the skin, and that would shrink and seal the fuel leaks.

Would like to see the technology being used, to allow the SR 72 to be able to reach the speeds it can, without dealing with air resistance & friction.
on the other hand, maybe it flies faster than the air resistance /Friction, so is therefore limited by that for top speed.
Posted By: BFaucett Re: For Aviation Buffs: SR 72 - 11/22/22

Hypersonic sled travels at 6,599 mph (Mach 8.6) at Holloman Air Force Base
Air Force Test Center
May 20, 2019

Holloman Air Force Base is home to the High-Speed Test Track. This was a hypersonic test that traveled Mach 8.6, which is 6,599 mph which is over one mile a second.

https://www.aftc.af.mil/News/Videos/videoid/747334/
Same pics over and over...it’s like an episode of dateline!

Seems a little too informative for social media platform...hopefully what’s really being developed is held a little closer to the vest.
Posted By: FWP Re: For Aviation Buffs: SR 72 - 11/23/22
The ‘State Route 72’???

What is he smoking?
Originally Posted by FWP
The ‘State Route 72’???

What is he smoking?
Probably his circuit boards. It sounds like a text to voice program to me.

All kinds of improper inflections.
© 24hourcampfire