Home
Leatherman what?
Gerber ?
Etc.
And why.
I would have to go with Leatherman. I was issued one in 1993 and have used it ever since then.
I only have one, a Leatherman Wave. It is my favorite because it was free. I found it at a campsite.
Original leatherman, then the original gerber, in that order.
You'll use the pliers a lot. You'll use the scissors more than you think. I've got several and like the Wave the best.
I've carried a SOG EOD for about 20 years. I love it.
I had a Gerber (forget which model) that I liked but eventually lost. I’ve had an original Leatherman Super Tool for probably 10 years now that I bought used but as new. I don’t remember much difference between them in quality.

Some people love them. IMO they’re all to light duty to really do much useful work with the tools. I like them for the pliers and pocket knife blade but like a regular pocket knife better. I usually only carry mine when fishing for hook removal or in the woods with a dog for pulling porcupine quills. I’ve never had to pull quills and hemo’s work better for hooks but those are the places that they’re handy to me. Anywhere else or for real work I’d rather get something out of a toolbox. Depending on what you do for a living and how far you are from regular tools no doubt effects it’s usefulness.
I love my Leatherman multi tool. Very handy to have at all times.
I’ve buggered up enough stuff with an original Leatherman to not like multi tools.

Knipex mini Cobras and Klein 11 in 1 screwdriver is a MacGyverin son of a gun!
Wave is tough to beat.
Originally Posted by Higginez
I’ve buggered up enough stuff with an original Leatherman to not like multi tools.

Knipex mini Cobras and Klein 11 in 1 screwdriver is a MacGyverin son of a gun!
Plus 1

Knipex and Klein 11 in 1
I have a Leatherman Wave with a bit set MOLLE sheath and would like a MUT. Also perhaps another model that has a bottle opener. Of course I guess I could just get a SAK for that.
I still use my original Leatherman multitool. It just plain works.
I carry one of the old original style Leatherman tools. The slim one that doesn’t have too many gadgets.

A few years ago I bought a collection of Swiss Army knives from a pawn shop. Gave most of them away as Christmas gifts. But I kept the one with the magnifying glass.
Day in and day out, the Leatherman "Wave" is without a doubt the best tool out there. I have the newest version that has the locking feature on the different tools so they don't collapse when you are using them. All Leatherman tools are unconditionally warranted by the factory and I have sent a couple back for repair and they came back like new.

If you don't want one on your belt, the Leatherman "Juice" is your huckleberry." I carry this all the time, and this tool is fantastic and takes up no more room in your pocket than a pocket knife and is much more versatile. This one is the CS4 and can be gotten from Leatherman off their site for $79.00.

Another hint for the cheap guys, go to the airport and ask the head of security if they have any Leatherman tools that have been confiscated from flight passengers.

This is the best outfitted tool as it has scissors and a sawblade that you don't find on the smaller tools...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I like the rebar over the wave.

Smaller.

Lately been using the free p2.

Also carry a pair of micro knipex pliers everyday for work.
Another vote for the Leatherman Wave. I have two of them.
Wilde angle plyers.
I had Kershaw pliers but they broke.
Kershaw can’t won’t fix them.
Leatherman skeletool for me. Have the extension and extra bits in my work pack which is always in my truck.

Saved my butt a few times!
Leatherman Ti- lite weight and strong.
I had a Wave but lost it while camping.
A Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X that I was given for fathers day several years ago. All the tools I need and it seems to be built better than the newer Leatherman tools.

Second choice is an ancient original Leatherman I've had for years but is starting to loosen up a bit.
Leatherman 300 super tool, had it for many years, used a lot.
I've had, lost, and broke a bunch over the years. Hands down the Wave, nothing else is even close.

One handed opening the blades on the outside like a pocket knife, the ergos of the tool itself, and the options inside it make it an easy win.
Leatherman,the Gerber is a well made tool,but a hand pinching bastard.
SOG.
I have had an original leatherman since they first came out. It has proven pretty handy over the years and has held up well. I would like some scissors on it but not enough to spring for another tool.
Leatherman Charge.
Bought a new one for my boy when he became an electrician.

Found mine in a pawn shop for less than half the price of new. Only needed a little cleaning up.
I carry the smaller Leatherman Juice S2 (no longer produced). Bought a spare from a member of the Campfire. Small, but very handy. I use it almost daily.
Leatherman Super Tool.

Never needed to look any further

WS
Leatherman Core.
Victorinox Swiss Tool
Leatherman Skeletool CX….plus the other 5000 accessories.
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Another vote for the Leatherman Wave. I have two of them.

Same here.
I carried the Schrade for 20 years.
Wore out 3 of the nylon belt sheath
Coach
For me it's the LM Wave spring loadedjaw and all the right tools I need for work.the only problem is wearing out the sheath.
I'd feel naked if I didn't have a Leatherman Charge TI in my pocket.

Lost the first two, third one is going on 5 years old(?) and I have a new spare on the shelf.

Use it several times a day, uber handy item.
I used to use the Leatherman Wave a lot, bought & stashed a backup. Haven't kept up with revisions since. But thinking the Wave would still do anything I needed.
Originally Posted by garyh9900
I've carried a SOG EOD for about 20 years. I love it.

This. Sold a lot of them at Gander back when. SOG stood out to me.
I still use the original leatherman I tested for them and the one that Leatherman built for me after feedback with a cap crimper
Cntrmass: I much prefer the fairly compact Leatherman Super-Tool. Been using this model for 20 years or so now.
Mine gets LOTS of use and it is "hurky" enough that it has even snipped barbed wire on those occasions when Deer are stuck in the strands (I go back later and repair/reconnect the snipped strands).
Met John Leatherman on a couple of occasions in the past - great guy and a gun enthusiast.
Buy American - buy Leatherman.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Walmart sells some aluminum pliers with stainless hardware for less than $10. Probably made in Somalia or somewhere.

I use them every day.
Originally Posted by MPat70
I would have to go with Leatherman. I was issued one in 1993 and have used it ever since then.
Yes! I have one from about the same time issued to me from the AZNG. Worn out 4 cases for it!
Originally Posted by 12344mag
SOG.

Yep... SOG.
Wave on my belt and a Surge stashed in the truck for small jobs. Have had both for many, many years.
Bought the add-on bit set for each as well. Very handy.
Jeff
Leatherman Surge...

I have 7 of them.

Marked Sunday thru Saturday... just like a good woman's panties.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Walmart sells some aluminum pliers with stainless hardware for less than $10. Probably made in Somalia or somewhere.

I use them every day.

Impervious to corrosion. That's the biggest problem I deal with.
Leatherman original PST, a Christmas present from my wife in 1984. (Still have my wife, she's a keeper) Always on my belt working in mining and off the job in rural living. It saved day in many situations. Wore out the case, patched it, then my daughter bought me a new case recently.

Still no broken tools on it. I use it wisely, within its limits, and know when to reach for stronger tools.
I really like the Wingman. Scissors, pliers, one-hand blade and a pocket clip.

It's been Goldilocks.

I use them every day.

Impervious to corrosion. That's the biggest problem I deal with.

And not a multi-tool but thanks, genius.
Had a few Leathermans over the years. Carrying them on my person was always a guarantee I’d leave them somewhere.

I was bummed out after they moved to China, I’d look in Pawn Shops and at gun shows for the originals.

I’ve had this one for at least ten years on account of it resides on my bicycle, found in a Pawn Shop. I’ve been good about putting it back which is why I still have it. Dunno what model it is, seems smaller than the originals.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Here it is again next to the Leatherman Micra I bought at Academy, Chinese made. Turns out it’s too small for a multi tool, too big for a keychain. Sits at home in a drawer.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I've bought a couple of Waves as gifts. They are always appreciated.

I go cheaper for myself. An original leatherman did just fine for years, til i lost it. Had a few different multi-tools til I found the leatherman blast. Compact and useful, it does most of what i need.

Another compact, economical, and useful leatherman is the wingman.

Always figured that I'd own a wave one day. The appeal has faded.
I buy the cheap one since I always end up using them like a hammer or sacrficing them for the greater good.
I've got the Wave in the truck for when I need something that's not on the Wingman. Which doesn't happen often.
Ive got a couple sog and leatherman. The sog are obviously higher quality and I liked the geared pliers, provide a lot more grip strength.
My favorite was a model they don't make any more.... I think it was called the "side clip "..... had a built in pocket clip before it was available on other models.....slim enough to carry in your pocket with the belt clip and just the right amount of tools to be useful. I lost the original but found another new in box on eBay to replace it. I also have a wave and a few others.... their kind of like flashlights....whenever they are on sale I'll buy another, I have em stashed everywhere around the house...all the vehicles, etc. I do like the the newer models that lock the tools when in use.... a lot safer.
© 24hourcampfire