Home
Posted By: Cheesy Kids spoonbilling- - 11/22/22
What is better than skipping school? How about skipping school to go on a guided fishing trip?

Local guide, Pritchard's Guide Service on Grand Lake in Oklahoma did a kids fishing day today. Took 6 kids out this morning and 6 this afternoon chasing spoonbill. First time my kids had been after them. It was a success.

side note, if you're in northeast Oklahoma and looking for fishing on Grand Lake, Pritchards is the guy to call. Winter time spoonbill, summer time crappie (caught a 6 man limit plus piles of white bass with him this summer), and catfish and white bass thrown in the mix, plus he has contacts for when he is full and knows everybody around. If he isn't taking his kids hunting or is already booked, he will put you on fish.

Pritchard's Guide Service Facebook page

Rusty Pritchard and the 6 kids off to the races-
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I guess they drew straws as to who got to go first and my 11 year old was 1st. Smallest fish, but first in the boat..

I think my 9 year old daughter went last, but she got a good one.

Group pic at the end

Then for 30 miles of the 60 mile drive home I got to hear all the ins and outs of winter spoonbill fishing and how they want to go again...

Filets soaking in salt water and the search is on for how to cook them beyond chunking up and frying like is typically done.
Posted By: 160user Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/22/22
Very cool! I have never done it myself but I do appreciate a very unique fish like that.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/22/22
Very cool. I assume they are good eating also?
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by bbassi

Kind of a cross between a catfish and a pork chop? Dense meat, not flaky like a fish. Does have some fishiness to it for sure though. I'd rather eat crappie or walleye for sure....but when in Rome...
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/22/22
Very cool! What are they caught on? Bait?
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/22/22
That'a awesome cheeseguy !
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/22/22
Cool beans.

Do they troll for them in winter? Search out areas where there is still plankton and the paddlefish are still feeding?

I'd imagine any recipe for sturgeon would work, as they are rather closely related. One might try an Italian salad dressing marinade and then grilling it.
Posted By: DMc Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/22/22
Congrats on a great outing Cheesy. Well done Papa! Even your smallest fish was very nice.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Very cool! What are they caught on? Bait?

They're plankton feeders, so the only way to catch them is snagging.

Typically 95% are caught in the spring when the turkeys start gobbling and water is warming up. They leave the reservoirs and head up the rivers. That is when most everybody is in the rivers trying to snag one. 4 ounce weight below a big treble, 40 lb line or so, cast out, jerk, relax, jerk, relax, jerk, relax. It is great sport to go to the Neosho River in the Miami, OK city park and watch every redneck within 100 miles that gathers there to try and snag one from the bank.

This guide only targets them in the deep water in the cold months. He uses Dipsy Divers or similar to get the treble hook down to the proper depth they're holding at.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/22/22
Awesome!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/22/22
Outstanding!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/22/22
Love their smiles! grin
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/22/22
Nice!!!
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/22/22
Good eating right there. Delicious and no bones!
Posted By: efw Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/22/22
That is super cool man nice work raising em up right!
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/22/22
Great times and fantastic memories for everyone. Two thumbs up from meβ€¦πŸ‘πŸ‘

The picture of the young man in the green jacket facing the camera with the fish is really a great picture and one worthy of framing!

Great post Sir!
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/22/22
Hooky to hook some prehistoric fish 😊
Posted By: Torqued Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/23/22
Right on. Great to see the kiddo's out doing something cool.

Snagging is a ton of fun. Spoonbills are far from my favorite to eat though.

Spoiled on crappie and walleye.

Good on you and the guide
Posted By: pointer Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/23/22
Good stuff!! Love the pics! I've only caught them once in MT.
Posted By: windridge Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/23/22
Great Smiles there!

How are they smoked? That would seem a good way to use the meat.
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/23/22
Great pictures! Smiles and memories that will last a lifetime right there. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/23/22
Originally Posted by windridge
Great Smiles there!

Never had paddlefish, but sturgeon smoked is pretty fine eatin'.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/23/22
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by bbassi

Kind of a cross between a catfish and a pork chop? Dense meat, not flaky like a fish. Does have some fishiness to it for sure though. I'd rather eat crappie or walleye for sure....but when in Rome...
Rinse no less than a half dozen times and that "fishy" taste will go away. You will see the oil film lessen with each soaking.

I rinse every hour until I go to bed. Maybe in the night if I get up, again in the AM then rinse throughout the day if home.

If not home after the morning rinse soak again for the day then good to go that evening.

A pard had a 5 gallon bucket with at least 100 holes in bucket and lid with a hose adapter in the side towards the bottom of the bucket. Fill with fish, turn water on just enough to keep a good flow going and walk away for the afternoon. This got most all of the oil from the fish.
Posted By: blanket Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/23/22
We used to net them here, oily as heck but made a good fish fry for a funeral party fundraiser, last one I did was 1981
Posted By: DollarShort Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/23/22
Funny looking fish. Like a Jimmy Durante cartoon.

I guess I’d eat one if I was on some kind of camping survival mission.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/23/22
9 yr old Granddaughter told me last week that she would probably just catch a minnow. Looks like she was wrong.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/23/22
Hell yeah!
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/23/22
Awesome!! I've fished with Rusty several times for spoonbills and once for catfish. He is a great guy and a great guide with good equipment. A great choice for anyone.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/23/22
Nice group of happy kids right there. Awesome that they each got to catch one.

Curious as to the snagging technique(s) employed. Is it just blind snagging?

I've done a fair amount of blind and sight snagging for hatchery salmon (kings, silvers and sockeye) here in AK. Blind snagging will wear out pretty quick, but can be productive if there's lots 'o fish. Sight casting is a lot like wing shooting ducks. Gotta see 'em, lead 'em and pull the trigger at the right time (or just flock shoot).
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/23/22
Great thread and pics Cheese
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/23/22
Very cool, cheesy.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/23/22
I found them in a ditch mouth feeding and snagged with a big treble on a bass rod. I kept some and they were ok to eat. Fun to catch.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Kids spoonbilling- - 11/23/22
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Curious as to the snagging technique(s) employed. Is it just blind snagging?

Totally blind. No such thing as clear water here.

The 3 ways I'm familiar with fishing for them.

1. The poor redneck way: No boat, fish from bank in the spring when they're doing their (fake?) spawning run. Heavy river pole with a 4 ounce weight and a big treble hook. Cast across the river, then jerk pole, reel up slack, jerk pole, reel up slack. Repeat. Will wear you out.

2. The less poor redneck way: From boat, in the spring when they're doing their (fake?) spawning run. Heavy river pole with a 4 ounce weight and a big treble hook. Let out 100' or 150' of line, troll up stream, jerk pole, let current/troll take out slack, repeat. Won't wear you out quite as bad as 1.

3. The sophisticated way: Rig pole up with dipsy diver and troll around the channels they're schooled up in until your treble hook runs into one. This is what the guides do. I've never been on one of these trips, so I can't exactly give the details.

Originally Posted by windridge

Was with the wife at an engineering deparment dinner at Pittsburg State University several years ago. One of the dishes was smoked spoonbill that one of the students had brought. I thought it was pretty good.

Originally Posted by Torqued

Spoiled on crappie and walleye.

Feel free to send some down, I'm only a few miles off of 49.... smile
© 24hourcampfire