Home
The story of Jesse Brown and Tom Hudner, Korean War.

Yeah Jesse Brown was apparently the first Black Naval Aviator but the movie ain’t just about that. Go see it for the Bearcats, F4U’s and Skyraiders, and the cameo by the Mig.

Birdwatcher gives it two thumbs up 👍🏻👍🏻
Hangman is in this one too?

Gonna take Dad this weekend.
Read the book years ago when it came out. Loved the fact it addressed the racial issues. In the Northeast and West coast. Yeah, the audacity to tell it like it is and it wasn't just the South like the pretty pictures many like to paint. Anyway, good book and hoping the movie is good too.

Our flight club had a private showing last night, but of course I was stuck at work.

Same author wrote A Higher Call and Spearhead if you're looking for some good WWII reads.
Since Covid shut down movie theatres in 2020... the only movie I have gone and seen was Top Gun.

This one will be my second movie I will go and pay money to see...

Fighters and Fighter Pilots, my favorite movie subject.
If it remains true to the book, it will be worth the price of admission.
It was an excellent read.
Uhhgg

Amazing Insights Behind the Movie DEVOTION
video posted to YouTube on Nov 18, 2022
YouTube channel: Ward Carroll ("veteran F-14 Tomcat radar intercept officer, writer, and military storyteller")
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Uhhgg

I haven’t read the book, but if the movie is to be believed the Black guy was given an extra ration of crap beyond mere name-calling along the way at some stages by people who wanted him to fail. Sorta like reverse affirmative action. He also kept a book in which he wrote down every name he was called along his way up.

Anyways Hudner thought enough of him that he crash-landed his perfectly good Corsair in enemy held territory in the middle of a North Korean winter to try and help Brown get out of the wreckage after his plane was downed by ground fire.

The movie closes with an image of the last words Brown had written to his wife just prior to his last mission.

Actually the closing credits are really good, original photos from the 50’s from events depicted in the movie. I believe it stated that Hudner and Brown had flown 50 missions together over Korea before Brown was shot down.

Hudner got the Medal of Honor, Brown got a posthumous DFC.

Some great photography. Worth going to see to see actual Bearcats and Corsairs in flight. Dunno if the Mig was CGI, I’m sure several aircraft of all types were.

The funky early helicopter used to rescue Hudner was cool too.
It’s on my list. Got to see it.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Uhhgg

Actually, I didn’t know this movie existed before yesterday. Not having a TV I’ll scroll through San Antonio movie times on the ‘net fairly regular to see if there’s anything worth going to see.

I almost didn’t bother to see this one on account of it looked like just another noble Black hero movie. But hey, it was a war movie so I went.

Turns out the movie was much better than I was expecting.
Originally Posted by Seafire
Since Covid shut down movie theatres in 2020... the only movie I have gone and seen was Top Gun.

This one will be my second movie I will go and pay money to see...

Fighters and Fighter Pilots, my favorite movie subject.
Same here especially the F4U Corsairs. They are my favorite prop fighters.
"Dunno if the Mig was CGI, I’m sure several aircraft of all types were."

Might not be. I know of several Mig 15s that are privately owned. The usually show up when we have an air show. They might have used some of those.
PJ
The F4U and pilot are from my hometown. The Erickson Aircraft Museum has many military aircraft and they are all airworthy.
Screenshot from the final trailer linked above.

All six F4Us flying together in formation.

Worth the price of admission right there.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
My brother worked on that movie he is in the credits as construction coordinator. He is not a WW2 buff but said the Corsairs were impressive.
Thanks Birdy, for the heads up.
The book was very good, but too often the movie version falls way short of the story line of the book. Blackhawk down is a excellent example. not even close to the book. The movie was ok but having read the book first, it was a disappointment.
'
SPOILER ALERT!! My advice: Do NOT watch this if you don't already know the full story and want to watch the movie.

video posted to YouTube on Feb 19, 2020
YouTube channel: The History Guy
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Read the book years ago when it came out. Loved the fact it addressed the racial issues. In the Northeast and West coast. Yeah, the audacity to tell it like it is and it wasn't just the South like the pretty pictures many like to paint. Anyway, good book and hoping the movie is good too.

Our flight club had a private showing last night, but of course I was stuck at work.

Same author wrote A Higher Call and Spearhead if you're looking for some good WWII reads.

Yeah, we can't talk about race enough.
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Yeah, we can't talk about race enough.

Well, yeah, I guess you didn't read that closely. The usual narrative is the South is racist and everyone else is enlightened. The book addressed how racist the Northeast and West coast were. Something you rarely ever hear, even though they were just as racist as the South. But OK, lets just leave the narrative being the South if that makes you happy.
I saw it tonight. I thought it was excellent.

Bb
^^^^
Originally Posted by nash22
The F4U and pilot are from my hometown. The Erickson Aircraft Museum has many military aircraft and they are all airworthy.

I took Dad to see it. It was pretty good.
That would be the one. I watch them flying around town all the time
My son and I saw it today. Much better than Maverick IMHO.
Originally Posted by cs2blue
The book was very good, but too often the movie version falls way short of the story line of the book. Blackhawk down is a excellent example. not even close to the book. The movie was ok but having read the book first, it was a disappointment.

Very good book!

If you like the Corsair there was a nice but short section on acquiring one and flying it in Frank Tallman's long out of print book "Flying the Old Planes".
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

Holy Smoke! What a beautiful work of art that F4U is 😎😎😎😎

Reminds of the time, after 20 years living here, that there was an actual Focke-Wulf 190 on display at the little Texas Air Museum right here at Stinson Field on the south side of San Antonio. Friggin’ awesome plane even if it wasn’t restored to full flying condition 😎

Sadly, it has since been relocated IIRC to Midland TX
I went and saw it Thursday. I liked “The Bridges at Toko Ri” better.
I haven’t been in a while. Do they still have the SR-71 there?
© 24hourcampfire