Home
Posted By: Verylargeboots 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/17830388#Post17830388[img]

New project, a 1960 Impala. Automatic trans, a couple random leaks. I haven't dug into it very much yet. Hopefully I'll get to fart around with it tomorrow during the day. The body is fantastic, almost no work needed on the body. It runs a little rough, and does not hold a low idle well, I'm guessing its starved for fuel. After a once-over in the daylight I'm going to yank the carb and give it a good cleaning. From what I was told, it's been sitting for three-ish years. Will need to do a headliner replacement eventually.

I would welcome any tips relating to this particular vehicle if someone has any for the 1960 Impala. Previous projects are a 1963 Ford Galaxy station wagon with a 351 Cleveland bored over, and a 1965 (1966?) Chevy Corvair Monza.

(hopefully I posted the pics correctly this time, apologies in advance if I did not. I ain't got no buuk lurnin...
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
I love that body style! Is the engine a 409? Good luck with the restoration and getting it going. I’m working on a 1970 Rivera right now myself.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
I always liked the 60s - softened the excess of the 59s.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
Nice! My first car was a ‘59. Been kicking around the idea of picking up a 59/60 at some point.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
Cool car. Well done.
Posted By: Biebs Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
Awesome project!
Posted By: gunzo Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
A very nice original or original looking Impala. LIKE!
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I love that body style! Is the engine a 409? Good luck with the restoration and getting it going. I’m working on a 1970 Rivera right now myself.

Just from the cursory look under the hood, I believe it's a 348 with a powerglide behind it.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
The 409 didn’t come out until 1961
Posted By: gunzo Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
Shown is a standard small block that was the common V-8 for 1960, a 283.

The optional 348 has a much different different appearance, & looks he same as the later 409. Too ignorant here to post a pic of one.
Posted By: Jerryv Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
Originally Posted by gunzo

The optional 348 has a much different different appearance, & looks he same as the later 409. Too ignorant here to post a pic of one.

Definitely a classic small block Chevy. Most likely a 283 if it is original.

Jerry
Posted By: RiverRider Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
Originally Posted by gunzo

Yep. The 348 and 409 had some oddly shaped valve covers.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
The 348 and 409 look like this:

[Linked Image from images.thecarconnection.com]
Posted By: atvalaska Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
283 ? I have a set of valve covers with Chevrolet wrote out in script on each side...
Posted By: elkmtb Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
tell me you're a boomer old fart without telling me your a boomer old fart- and I say that with the utmost respect -just kidding, nice ride.
Posted By: elkmtb Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
just don't put 22" rims on it.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
Might be a Powerglide, might also be
A turboglide
Posted By: g5m Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
Nice!
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
59 and 60 Impala's and El Caminos ! about as good as it gets.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
Nice!

My first car was a 1960 Impala convertible 283. Turquoise with white side accent and white top. Mom sold it to me in 1968 for $75. She wanted it to have some value so I wouldn't take it for granted. Sold it to John Horn when I went away to college. Rochester NY

Hope your project goes well.
Posted By: oldfoneguy Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/23/22
You have a 2 piece driveshaft in that car. Do yourself a favor and lubricate every zerk under that car especially the center driveshaft bearing. It is constantly forgotten because no GM car has come with one since the end of 1970 model year production. Do trust jiffy lube to take care of this for you they don't know it's there. If you notice an overall vibration in the whole car it's a bad center driveshaft bearing. It was eliminated on 65 and up B Bodies but big car C and D bodies had it until 1970.
Check to make sure rodents haven't moved into the exhaust system. That could be a cause of rough running and no power. A friend found a rat had a litter in the resonator of a 64 Cadillac and had these same problems.
Check your engine code to make sure it's the original 283. Many later gaskets and such won't work on that engine 65 and newer engines have many differences. You need to know this before ordering parts.
Good luck with it. I know it's a cool ride because it's as old as me!
Posted By: gunzo Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/24/22
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Might be a Powerglide, might also be
A turboglide

Heard the turbo glides referred to as.. terrible glides.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/24/22
Nice ride!
Posted By: gunzo Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/24/22
The OP's pics

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ERK Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/24/22
Turboglides were behind the 348. Poerglides were behind the 283. Never saw one different unless it was a motor swap. My first car was a 60 lmpala 4 door. Six cylinder with 3 on the tree. Blew it up and put in a 283. Edk
Posted By: Houser52 Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/24/22
In 1968 I did my driving test in our family’s 1960 Impala SS, 6 cylinder automatic. Even though it had a SS emblem on it, it was weak as crap.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/24/22
Originally Posted by Houser52
In 1968 I did my driving test in our family’s 1960 Impala SS, 6 cylinder automatic. Even though it had a SS emblem on it, it was weak as crap.
1960 Impala SS ?... That is really, really, Really rare! lol... Although they did make a few 61 SS's i have Never heard of a 60 SS... Kidding aside. If your family had an Impala SS it was likely a 1962 or newer... And yes i think? you could get the SS option on a 6 cyl car... But Why?... lol
Posted By: fester Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/24/22
I miss seeing those old cars on the road.
Posted By: fester Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/24/22
They don’t have to be fancy.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/24/22
Is that an original Virginia Car? I loved the 60 model.
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/24/22
Alrighty fellers, got some more information today while poking around. The car was made in Baltimore MD, shipped to a dealer north of Greenbriar in WVA, and bought brand new by a man who would pass the car down to his son. Son gave it to a mechanic who let it sit, and now it's in my driveway. The car is 100% original after doing some vin decoding and checking numbers.

It is a 283 with a powerglide behind it. Takes a fuzz to get it running but it's not a hard start by any means. Definitely needs some brake work, and I can't quite pin down an occasional squeal I hear, though the belts do need to be replaced. That's all for now. I suck at posting pics but I'll keep trying. The car is too neat for me not to show it's progress.

Thank you for all of the input and advice thus far, it is certainly appreciated. This is the oldest vehicle I have worked on thus far.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/24/22
"Out past the cornfields where the woods got heavy"... "Out in the backseat of my 60 Chevy"...
Posted By: dale06 Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/24/22
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
1960 Impala SS ?... That is really, really, Really rare! lol... Although they did make a few 61 SS's i have Never heard of a 60 SS... Kidding aside. If your family had an Impala SS it was likely a 1962 or newer... And yes i think? you could get the SS option on a 6 cyl car... But Why?... lol

A friend has a 1965 SS impala with a six cylinder. There’s lots of room under that hood. I had a 1956 impala SS 396. It was an auto tranny, I believe two speeds.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by dale06

A friend has a 1965 SS impala with a six cylinder. There’s lots of room under that hood. I had a 1956 impala SS 396. It was an auto tranny, I believe two speeds.
A 1956 Impala SS 396 with a powerglide? That's a REALLY scarce duck. LOL
Posted By: BrigGeneralSTU Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/25/22
The body on this thing is timeless. This one deserves a second life for sure.
Posted By: oldfoneguy Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/25/22
I very strongly recommend you upgrade to a dual master cylinder even if you leave it as a drum brake car for safeties sake especially if you'll have your family in there with you. I had the single master cylinder fail on my 64 Impala SS and it was scary as chit. The parking brake doesn't do a whole hellava lot at 55 mph and a downshift on a power powerglide doesn't take affect until 30 or under. While you're at it upgrade to power brakes as well both legs will thank you. There are complete kits available a quick internet search will have a bunch. You can go from simple to a full 4 wheel disc conversion.
Posted By: Longbob Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by dale06

A 1956 Impala SS 396 with a powerglide? That's a REALLY scarce duck. LOL

Yeah, probably a typo ('65) considering the first year for an Impala was 1958.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/25/22

Back in those days, you could get all sorts of odd ball combinations...

" and but why?".... Factory would make all sorts of combinations, and they would just get shipped to a dealer.

Back around 1990 up in Washington State, ran into a lady with a 64 GTO at a gas station. Her husband had bought the car new, in 1965 in Bellingham WA. The car was a left over 64 model, that they dealer ended up getting in, but no one would buy it... so her husband got it at Dealer Cost. IT was the REAL Base Model GTO in 64. Had all the GTO Body parts, and the car came thru with a Bench seat in front, and a 389 under the hood, BUT with a 2 barrel on top instead of a 4 barrel or the 6 pack ( triple deuces).

It was a base GTO, with NO options from the Factory...No one would buy it due to it being base model with no options.

I worked in a GM factory in Massachusetts while going thru college for 2 yrs, until the 1974 fuel shortage scam. Factory made mid size GM Pontiac, Buick and Olds models. Saw some real odd ball combos come thru the assembly line, but they were on the option listing, combos that few people ordered. The folks at the factory would put together odd ball combos on the assembly line, and wasn't caught until it went out the door over in Final Inspection Dept. Several times I saw a Buick go out with the motor marked Olds on the Valve covers, or a Pontiac, and odd balls things like that.

People on the assembly line would sabotage all sorts of ways, just to decrease the boredom.

Examples, when I was on the spray line.
1. Paint a car one color, but then under the truck lid, paint the inside of that another color.
2. Drop a pop bottle down inside the door, before putting on all the hardware and cover. So you open and close your new cars door and the bottle is making the door go Klunk Klunk ever time you use it.

the silliest I've seen: We had a 130 guys on the spray paint line. Car comes in the spray line, first section is too guys who just put the paint connectors on the machine that applies the primer, and then they apply the prime to sections the machine couldn't reach, as the inside of the door jams etc.

then it passes to the next section of 4 people. I was the left side lead. On the body carrier, would be a manifest for the car, taped to it. The supervisor would write the paint color code ( a number) with a magic marker in large print. One color had 3 tones to it, depending if it went on a Buick, Olds or Pontiac. Depending on the car code, that color was # 59, 69 and 79.

To sabotage it, just due to boredom. The appropriate car color would be 59, so I'd plug in that spray hose on the overall machine and then in my hand sprayer for the hard to reach areas, I'd put that hose on... the guy who was the rear on the left side, would just look up and see the color I'd put on, never looking at the manifest. To break the boredom the guy on the other side, might plug in number 69 or 79. With all the light in the spray line we could tell a color by a glance, which is what most guys did on down the line. So in the spray line, one half would get painted a Buick version of that color ( a sort of bronze), and the other half of the car on the right half would be painted a Pontiac or Olds version of that color. Everyone chuckling. As the car went thru the rest of the plant, with the lighting there, no one could see the difference all the way thru manufacturing.

Until.... the car was outside in the sun light. Then the car looked like something out of a car wax commercial, where one half is a faded color and the other half is all waxed up, with the wax they were advertising. They'd have to take the car, dissemble a bunch of it and re run it thru the spray line.
When management would come up on the spray line, they would go to my 4 man section and try and chew out me or the other guys, depending on the side the wrong color was painted. Our response would be, that the color code scribbled on the manifest looked like a 59 to me and the other guy would claim it looked like a 69 or 79 to him. all the other guys down stream, just painted their part with what they looked up and saw coming down the line..

Funny part was that 128 guys could see what was being done, and instead of stopping the line.. they'd let it go on thru... they could see what color was being used on each side, but management knew they just looked up and painted their part, with what was coming down the line...

YET the other half of the story...

Number 11 was white on the paint code and Number 19 was black. You got in such a daze on that production line, I've seen when I would read number 11 or number 19 hand written on the manifest, the lead on the other side read the opposite number I interpreted as written. So the left half of the car is painted white and the right half is painted black. It was go past 124 more guys down line from me and the other lead, and no one would notice it. Finally someone down the assembly line would notice it, stop the line, which got the supervisors attention real quick. They would halt the entire production line for the entire factory, while that car body was taken off the line, and then management would have to go to each section thru out the factory and pull that manifest from their production line. and then re enter the car on the production line from the start.. the body we'd messed up, went to a final production section and be shipped off to somewhere else to be stripped and then sent back.

in those days in the 70s, it cost GM some unGodly amount of money, for each minute that assembly line wasn't moving. Management would want to chew out the people they thought were responsible, but being in a Union, the UAW.. If your manager tried to be a bad ass on ya, all you had to do was to tell him to file a "78". That meant, he had to do was STFU, and call down a Union Shop Steward.. Shop Steward would explain the issue to him, he'd listen and then tell the GM Manager to get Screwed. If the manager pushed it, the Shop Steward sent down would call back on the Walkie Talkie to the Union Shop, where management just hung around all day. They'd go out immediate and do a plant wide shut down, until the issue got "solved".

Heck sometimes, several times in an 8 hour shift, a shop steward would come by, and just tell me to drop was I was doing and don't lift a finger until he came by and tell me to start working again... another plant shutdown due to a managerial dispute somewhere in the plant. Sometimes the shop steward wouldn't show up to tell you to start working again for 15 to 20 minutes. Even GM told us when we orientated as a new hire, for each minute the assembly line isn't moving, it costs the company 10K.. and that is 1973 dollars.

After working in an automobile plant for 2 years in college.. I've only EVER bought one American made vehicle new. and I had that less than a year.
That was an F 150 back in 86. I've seen first hand what kind of shop the UAW runs...
Posted By: Seafire Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Alrighty fellers, got some more information today while poking around. The car was made in Baltimore MD, shipped to a dealer north of Greenbriar in WVA, and bought brand new by a man who would pass the car down to his son. Son gave it to a mechanic who let it sit, and now it's in my driveway. The car is 100% original after doing some vin decoding and checking numbers.

It is a 283 with a powerglide behind it. Takes a fuzz to get it running but it's not a hard start by any means. Definitely needs some brake work, and I can't quite pin down an occasional squeal I hear, though the belts do need to be replaced. That's all for now. I suck at posting pics but I'll keep trying. The car is too neat for me not to show it's progress.

Thank you for all of the input and advice thus far, it is certainly appreciated. This is the oldest vehicle I have worked on thus far.

My family roots are the county to the south of Greenbrier WVA, it was probably bought at the Chevy dealer there in Lewisburg.
That body is in good shape for coming out of that area. Plenty of dirt roads, few car washes ( especially from back in the 60s and 70s) and they salt the roads when they are icy in West Va,

Must be a low miler, even if it is 62 years old, for the body to be in as good of shape as the pictures show..

any body rust under it, particular under the passenger compartment?

Over all, not knowing what you paid for her... I think you did pretty darn good on your purchase.

Where do you reside over in Virginia?
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/25/22
Jeebus fuggin Cryst Seafire... Your long post above leaves little doubt to what destroyed the American automobile manufacturing industry as we knew it back in it's Heyday... #firingsquad
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/26/22
We had a 1960 Impala when I was a kid. 283 powerglide. Turquoise and white. We took it on vacation to the Smokey Mountains in 1968 or 69. Cool car!

Ron
Posted By: gunzo Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/26/22
Originally Posted by Seafire

Back in those days, you could get all sorts of odd ball combinations...

" and but why?".... Factory would make all sorts of combinations, and they would just get shipped to a dealer.

Back around 1990 up in Washington State, ran into a lady with a 64 GTO at a gas station. Her husband had bought the car new, in 1965 in Bellingham WA. The car was a left over 64 model, that they dealer ended up getting in, but no one would buy it... so her husband got it at Dealer Cost. IT was the REAL Base Model GTO in 64. Had all the GTO Body parts, and the car came thru with a Bench seat in front, and a 389 under the hood, BUT with a 2 barrel on top instead of a 4 barrel or the 6 pack ( triple deuces).

It was a base GTO, with NO options from the Factory...No one would buy it due to it being base model with no options.

I worked in a GM factory in Massachusetts while going thru college for 2 yrs, until the 1974 fuel shortage scam. Factory made mid size GM Pontiac, Buick and Olds models. Saw some real odd ball combos come thru the assembly line, but they were on the option listing, combos that few people ordered. The folks at the factory would put together odd ball combos on the assembly line, and wasn't caught until it went out the door over in Final Inspection Dept. Several times I saw a Buick go out with the motor marked Olds on the Valve covers, or a Pontiac, and odd balls things like that.

People on the assembly line would sabotage all sorts of ways, just to decrease the boredom.

Examples, when I was on the spray line.
1. Paint a car one color, but then under the truck lid, paint the inside of that another color.
2. Drop a pop bottle down inside the door, before putting on all the hardware and cover. So you open and close your new cars door and the bottle is making the door go Klunk Klunk ever time you use it.

the silliest I've seen: We had a 130 guys on the spray paint line. Car comes in the spray line, first section is too guys who just put the paint connectors on the machine that applies the primer, and then they apply the prime to sections the machine couldn't reach, as the inside of the door jams etc.

then it passes to the next section of 4 people. I was the left side lead. On the body carrier, would be a manifest for the car, taped to it. The supervisor would write the paint color code ( a number) with a magic marker in large print. One color had 3 tones to it, depending if it went on a Buick, Olds or Pontiac. Depending on the car code, that color was # 59, 69 and 79.

To sabotage it, just due to boredom. The appropriate car color would be 59, so I'd plug in that spray hose on the overall machine and then in my hand sprayer for the hard to reach areas, I'd put that hose on... the guy who was the rear on the left side, would just look up and see the color I'd put on, never looking at the manifest. To break the boredom the guy on the other side, might plug in number 69 or 79. With all the light in the spray line we could tell a color by a glance, which is what most guys did on down the line. So in the spray line, one half would get painted a Buick version of that color ( a sort of bronze), and the other half of the car on the right half would be painted a Pontiac or Olds version of that color. Everyone chuckling. As the car went thru the rest of the plant, with the lighting there, no one could see the difference all the way thru manufacturing.

Until.... the car was outside in the sun light. Then the car looked like something out of a car wax commercial, where one half is a faded color and the other half is all waxed up, with the wax they were advertising. They'd have to take the car, dissemble a bunch of it and re run it thru the spray line.
When management would come up on the spray line, they would go to my 4 man section and try and chew out me or the other guys, depending on the side the wrong color was painted. Our response would be, that the color code scribbled on the manifest looked like a 59 to me and the other guy would claim it looked like a 69 or 79 to him. all the other guys down stream, just painted their part with what they looked up and saw coming down the line..

Funny part was that 128 guys could see what was being done, and instead of stopping the line.. they'd let it go on thru... they could see what color was being used on each side, but management knew they just looked up and painted their part, with what was coming down the line...

YET the other half of the story...

Number 11 was white on the paint code and Number 19 was black. You got in such a daze on that production line, I've seen when I would read number 11 or number 19 hand written on the manifest, the lead on the other side read the opposite number I interpreted as written. So the left half of the car is painted white and the right half is painted black. It was go past 124 more guys down line from me and the other lead, and no one would notice it. Finally someone down the assembly line would notice it, stop the line, which got the supervisors attention real quick. They would halt the entire production line for the entire factory, while that car body was taken off the line, and then management would have to go to each section thru out the factory and pull that manifest from their production line. and then re enter the car on the production line from the start.. the body we'd messed up, went to a final production section and be shipped off to somewhere else to be stripped and then sent back.

in those days in the 70s, it cost GM some unGodly amount of money, for each minute that assembly line wasn't moving. Management would want to chew out the people they thought were responsible, but being in a Union, the UAW.. If your manager tried to be a bad ass on ya, all you had to do was to tell him to file a "78". That meant, he had to do was STFU, and call down a Union Shop Steward.. Shop Steward would explain the issue to him, he'd listen and then tell the GM Manager to get Screwed. If the manager pushed it, the Shop Steward sent down would call back on the Walkie Talkie to the Union Shop, where management just hung around all day. They'd go out immediate and do a plant wide shut down, until the issue got "solved".

Heck sometimes, several times in an 8 hour shift, a shop steward would come by, and just tell me to drop was I was doing and don't lift a finger until he came by and tell me to start working again... another plant shutdown due to a managerial dispute somewhere in the plant. Sometimes the shop steward wouldn't show up to tell you to start working again for 15 to 20 minutes. Even GM told us when we orientated as a new hire, for each minute the assembly line isn't moving, it costs the company 10K.. and that is 1973 dollars.

After working in an automobile plant for 2 years in college.. I've only EVER bought one American made vehicle new. and I had that less than a year.
That was an F 150 back in 86. I've seen first hand what kind of shop the UAW runs...

And all this, plus more is a classic example of when the unions went from being useful , to the scourge of American manufacturing & allowed the Japanese first, & ultimently the Chinese & Koreans to take manufacturing away from our country.

Sickening, not just this story, but from what little I've seen. Just fuqking sickening.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: 1960 Impala project - 11/26/22
Gunzo... Reflecting back on the situation, The deep state probably used the unions to help destroy American manufacturing, As it seems like this was their goal... Either way, They destroyed the middle class and used the proceeds to create themselves a Billionaire class, Which mostly didn't exist prior to the destruction of American Manufacturing and the large middle class it created... However it happened, You're right, It's just fuqking sickening!.. #firingsquads
I really felt bad about taking a cool old classic car thread like this to that subject & I apologize., But the previously posted production line antics took me there before I could stop.

Back to the ride. OP mentions belt(s) needing replacing. I see only one, but the second might be power steering? Wondering if it might have that. I can see thant it does not have power brakes or air, both available that year, but not often seen.

The older ones are great, the 2 doors grabbed up today or years ago for hot rods. Now a mint 4 door is great just to clean it up a bit, get it all working & safe & drive & enjoy it for what it is. Not worry yourself doing no fun drives of a 60 or $80K looks piece.
Gunzo... Reflecting back on the situation, The deep state probably used the unions to help destroy American manufacturing, As it seems like this was their goal... Either way, They destroyed the middle class and used the proceeds to create themselves a Billionaire class, Which mostly didn't exist prior to the destruction of American Manufacturing and the large middle class it created... However it happened, You're right, It's just fuqking sickening!.. #firingsquads

Yes it seems 7mm,, greed from a few ruining it all. I can not fathom the scruples of some folks.
© 24hourcampfire