Home
Stopped by the Academy, today. Got them to price match a game cam that I use for “security purposes”, that Azz Pro had cheaper.

Figure, what the heck, I’ll buzz through the ammo section, and see what they have.

Couple of 60+ year-old guys, there, eyes glazed over, staring at the ammo. One of them picks up a box of 12 ga buckshot. Just HAS to open the danged thing, as if there’s ANY meaningful info to be gathered by actually holding the thing in their hand.

Minute or two later, one of them is opening up a box of FMJ pistol ammo. Honestly, what in the HELL do you learn by opening up a box of FMJ ammo?? Unless you think it’s some of that goofy truncated cone .40 (this wasn’t .40)?? Who the hell doesn’t know what FMJ ammo looks like??

No wonder gun stores put it behind the counter....
And lots of people dump it in their pocket once they open it too...
They VarmintFingered it! laugh
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
And lots of people dump it in their pocket once they open it too...

Wouldn’t doubt it. I can understand opening a box, if you think it’s been tampered with, but hell, these are sealed boxes (usually with a sticker). They just open them, like a buncha retards.

“Gotta get me a couple a boxes for my Taurus!!”
I like to check see what the nose of the bullet tip looks like.
Us 60+ year olds like looking at the goods before we buy ... especially shiney things that go bang.

It's headstamp intrigue, cartridge coveting, nose noodlin'.
I used to do that, when I was 10 or so. I would ride my bike to the drug store (remember when they sold ammo?) and open almost every box of obscure ammo and check out a cartridge. I remember how odd the 6.5 Jap cartridge looked to a boy only familiar with 30-30 rounds. The old man owner kept an eye on me but never said a word. He must have been a curious boy too when he was young.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
They VarmintFingered it! laugh
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
If I'm going to buy it, I'll open it and check to be sure that all the cartridges are in there and they are of the proper caliber. I have seen boxes in stores, where the customer has access to the ammo, with mixed shells in there. I've seen 243 Winchester in 308 boxes and 270 in 30/06. Better to be safe. Some of us 60+ guys have reasons for doing what we do...
Originally Posted by Mathsr
If I'm going to buy it, I'll open it and check to be sure that all the cartridges are in there and they are of the proper caliber. I have seen boxes in stores, where the customer has access to the ammo, with mixed shells in there. I've seen 243 Winchester in 308 boxes and 270 in 30/06. Better to be safe. Some of us 60+ guys have reasons for doing what we do...

Ammofingerphuquer.....

No, I’m talking about SEALED (Academy puts special stickers on most of their ammo, sealing them shut). These guys will browse back and forth, open boxes, put ‘em back. It’s like opening a sealed box of Cocoa Pebbles, as if you gotta know what Cocoa Pebbles look like. Folks think they accidentally put Fruity Pebbles in there???
They put ammo behind glass here. I asked why and one of the associates said it was common practice for low lifes to take the $60+/box bullets and swap them out with the $20/blue box specials. Caliber was unimportant as long as they could fit them in the box. The girls at the registers didn't know to look and guys were getting really pissed paying $60 for $20 ammo that didn't fit their rifles and a "no return" policy on all ammo. I made it a habit to check before I lay the cash down after hearing that.
Nearly every gunshow retard that comes by our tables has to open ammo boxes. Some of them will open every box on the table, don't buy anything just walk away. My favorites are the clowns that use their pocket knife to open the boxes, could care less if they damage the box or not. Personification of "an idle mind is the devil's workshop" !
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Nearly every gunshow retard that comes by our tables has to open ammo boxes. Some of them will open every box on the table, don't buy anything just walk away. My favorites are the clowns that use their pocket knife to open the boxes, could care less if they damage the box or not. Personification of "an idle mind is the devil's workshop" !
If that's the case , it's more retarded you don't take it out of the box every morning .
The first time you buy a "new box" of ammo and find mixed brass reloads in it when you get home you will start looking in the boxes too. I make the cashier open every box for my inspection before I pay for it anymore.
What this whole "price match" bullshit?

Do they have a price match guarantee?
Learning here.
Haven't bought rifle ammo in a long time.
They use to look at me funny in the drugstore when I tried on rubbers.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

They don’t do that at Maude and Claude’s ??😃
I always do. But then I always peek under the covers before bangin the ol’ lady.

Yes. They do.
I try out the super hot 69 estrous foam in the walmart sporting goods

Looks like the spray paint test board on them tittie baby deer feeder boxes.
Originally Posted by mirage243
Didja roll 'em back up nice and neat to get them back in that little foil pouch like I used to.
Next 60+ ammofingerphuquer I see at Academy, I’m gonna ask, “What’s your 24Hourcampfire handle???”
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I always do. But then I always peek under the covers before bangin the ol’ lady.
renegade50 says....................

pics or it didn't happen.
When I buy factory ammo that isn't shotgun shells, I open the boxes to see what the production lot number is so that I can get ammo that was made during the same production run. MidwayUSA sends rimfire ammo as individual boxes even if you buy it by the carton of 10 boxes, so you're likely to get ammo from different production runs.

I usually buy a minimum of 5 boxes of centerfire ammo. 100 rounds, 10 boxes of rimfire ammo, 500 rounds, or 20 boxes of sabot shotgun slugs, 100 rounds.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

laffin’
I got kids to prove it brotha!! I can send him one of those! laugh grin

laffin’
We could care less about the product.

We'd rather see the machinery.

Maybe???

They get pissed when I do that. Every time I turn around I'm knocking stuff off the shelves and such.....
Boomers just doing their thing....
Didja roll 'em back up nice and neat to get them back in that little foil pouch like I used to.

I would have, but they was all stretched out.

laffin’
We could care less about the product.

We'd rather see the machinery.

Maybe???
Well, I’m usually kind of hesitant about these sort of things, but I reckon I could make an exception just once.
Colored condom? or all natura’l…. grin grin
Alot of you guys sound like the type who changes their valve cover gaskets every year...
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Next 60+ ammofingerphuquer I see at Academy, I’m gonna ask, “What’s your 24Hourcampfire handle???”

Boomers like to pay 150% of the big box store…

Pride thing….

“I ain’t been in XYZ in 37 yrs…. I only trade at Phil’s Guns and ammo and pawn. They got the free coffee.”
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Pride thing….

“I ain’t been in XYZ in 37 yrs…. I only trade at Phil’s Guns and ammo and pawn. They got the free coffee.”

Them big box places ain't carry no P-38 can operners neither. Not even the cheapo chink ones.
*I confess to opening a box of 45-70 when I was a kid.

Pride thing….

Them big box places ain't carry no P-38 can operners neither. Not even the cheapo chink ones.

Prolly had em at Monkey wards or woolworths?
Bass Pro. Open the box and take one. BPwill not give a slight discount to me but will trash the other 49.

I will admit to loking at things like a .470 nitro.

Best deal was Remington bullets with a plastic insert cover over one of them so you could see.

Pride thing….

Prolly had em at Monkey wards or woolworths?

Nah, I don't think so, had to go to the "Army and Navy" store, get a genuine G I Canteen complete with cover too.

But, you could get a real Ted Williams 30-06 at some a them places.
Couple of 60+ year-old guys, there, eyes glazed over, staring at the ammo.

Maybe you should have asked them why.
Maybe not a bad idea. I bought some 300 Winny once and some SOB had taken a couple of them. I was 100 miles away at hunting camp by the time I noticed.
Originally Posted by slumlord

I fugging hate those people.

I just want to pay and leave.....some fugger ahead of me has an expired coupon, and empty gift card and was pretty sure they price matched.
Stopped by the Academy, today. Got them to price match a game cam that I use for “security purposes”, that Azz Pro had cheaper.

Figure, what the heck, I’ll buzz through the ammo section, and see what they have.

Couple of 60+ year-old guys, there, eyes glazed over, staring at the ammo. One of them picks up a box of 12 ga buckshot. Just HAS to open the danged thing, as if there’s ANY meaningful info to be gathered by actually holding the thing in their hand.

Minute or two later, one of them is opening up a box of FMJ pistol ammo. Honestly, what in the HELL do you learn by opening up a box of FMJ ammo?? Unless you think it’s some of that goofy truncated cone .40 (this wasn’t .40)?? Who the hell doesn’t know what FMJ ammo looks like??

Both Academy stores in Baton Rouge keep the ammo behind the counter.
About fifty years ago, there was no seal on the ammo boxes. A kid could check out the various cartridges and dream. God, I thought that box of 264 Win Mag was sexier than Marylin Monroe, almost as fine as Ann Margret. Twenty years later I finally managed to find a Win 70 Classic in a local store. It easily matched my fantasies.

I just want to pay and leave.....some fugger ahead of me has an expired coupon, and empty gift card and was pretty sure they price matched.

just be glad they don’t sell lottery tickets also......

Sweet mother of Pearl...

Fuggers will spend 10 minutes trying g to figure out how to blow $20....

Gimme 2 of those gumbo Magic...
Gimme 2 of those Jumbo Gator Pots
Gimme 2 of those Blazin Jackpots....
Gimme 2... no.. make that 3.. no 2 of the Triple Diamond winners....

🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

just be glad they don’t sell lottery tickets also......

Sweet mother of Pearl...

Fuggers will spend 10 minutes trying g to figure out how to blow $20....

Gimme 2 of those gumbo Magic...
Gimme 2 of those Jumbo Gator Pots
Gimme 2 of those Blazin Jackpots....
Gimme 2... no.. make that 3.. no 2 of the Triple Diamond winners....

🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
With a line to the back of the store filthy cacksuggas.
Bottomfeeders, timewasters all the same.
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
The first time you buy a "new box" of ammo and find mixed brass reloads in it when you get home you will start looking in the boxes too. I make the cashier open every box for my inspection before I pay for it anymore.
Or a box of 47 rounds in a pistol ammo box. Saw that a lot when I worked at Bass Pro. For some reason we didn't see it much with rifle ammo.
Originally Posted by smarquez
Or a box of 47 rounds in a pistol ammo box. Saw that a lot when I worked at Bass Pro. For some reason we didn't see it much with rifle ammo.

I can tell you why, but that'd be racist

Should have told him you thought he would find FMJ Ammo inside the box.
Maybe this explains the box of .380 that had one round of .32 acp. I was chronographing a few rounds when I shot uncles Shooting Chrony off of the deck rail. Yup, that was the .32 round.
Remington got to where they was putting a big dollop of glue on the lids of their boxes. Almost had to rip whole lid off to get in the box.
I used to open them

Every box I’d open, I say real loud ..”mannnnnnnnnnn that’d fuuuuuuuuuuuuck somptin up dude”

Move on to the box

Open up the .300 win mag
“Dammit boy….now thatd reallllllly fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck somptin up”
I used to open them

Every box I’d open, I say real loud ..”mannnnnnnnnnn that’d fuuuuuuuuuuuuck somptin up dude”

Move on to the box

Open up the .300 win mag
“Dammit boy….now thatd reallllllly fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck somptin up”

Yep. You been to da store fer sure. "Dude, wicked, sick, brah..."
© 24hourcampfire