Home
This fall has been fairly cold all of November. Getting within range to shoot these old iron sighted guns is the challenge. Here is the result of this morning and stalking in the heavy snowfall. The rifle is a special order Winchester High Wall with double set triggers, shotgun butt, Sling eyes and all in a rare caliber 25-35...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Very nice
Saaweet!

now we wait for the haters to chime in?
Good deal! With all of that fresh snow it looks like good weather for getting in close.
šŸ‘šŸ˜Ž
Congrats.
Mighty fine!

ya!

GWB
Well Done!
Congrats
Congrats! Cool pic
Looks like a fine choice to me!!!
One of these days Iā€™m gonna do the same thing with my Winchester in 25-20. Shot placement is key.

This Winchester 53 was my FILā€™s rifle that he bought off a native in 1955ish. He was working at a logging camp and saw a native on the beach with the biggest black bear heā€™d ever seen and decided then and there that he wanted that rifle so he made an offer the guy couldnā€™t refuse. I donā€™t think of this little lever gun in 25-20 being a bear gun but anything is a bear gun if you put the bullet in the right spot.

I have his Sako heavy barrel ā€œSeal gunā€ in .222 Rem Mag which has taken several big brown bear over the years.

Nice job Shrapnel and thatā€™s a cool picture.
Very nice šŸ‘ 25-35 is a dandy old cartridge for short work, gotta love that near zero recoil.
Great job, very nice long gun!
Awesome Shrap!

I had to look it up, that's a sexy cartridge.

[Linked Image from tmtpages.com]
Your the Chuck Norris from Montana Iā€™ve read about
Very nice!
I took my first deer 52 years ago with the 25-35 in an old saddle ring Win 94. Great picture.
WHAT ??? No details about the ammo from a Grade A, Certified Rifle Loony ??? You must be slipping. But seriously; congrats and that's a great hunting photo.
What's not to like about that. Well done.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Awesome Shrap!

I had to look it up, that's a sexy cartridge.

My father had a SRC in 25-35 that he got for breaking a horse, back in the 1930's. When I was a kid, I used it for all my hunting. I even killed a 7 foot grizzly with it...

Nice buck and rifle!
Great job! Nice touch to honor him w last meal. European hunters do that. Class.
That is too cool. Love the rifle and cartridge combination. What a great hunt. šŸ‘šŸ‘
Nice rifle!
Originally Posted by shrapnel
This fall has been fairly cold all of November. Getting within range to shoot these old iron sighted guns is the challenge. Here is the result of this morning and stalking in the heavy snowfall. The rifle is a special order Winchester High Wall with double set triggers, shotgun butt, Sling eyes and all in a rare caliber 25-35...

Man thats awesome shrap. Thank you for sharing
The rifle is a special order Winchester High Wall with double set triggers, shotgun butt, Sling eyes and all in a rare caliber 25-35...

^^American hunting spirit, right there
Iā€™m surprised that wasnā€™t a more popular cartridge. I know it did have some popularity, but it certainly lagged far behind the 30-30.
Wellā€¦

What bullet did you shoot? How far was the shot?
Cool rifle for sure. I'm not familiar with that 25 cal but the link to an grizzly bear is just phenomenal. Probably your over the top achievement that isn't available in today's lifetimes. The buck is pretty nice too.
Congrads, you got it done! I form my brass for my Savage 22hp out of 25-35 brass, hope to own a rifle in 25-35 one day!
Awesome pic, rifle and hunter.
Shrap rules.
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Wellā€¦

We need details.... ( Inquiring loonies want to know).
Nice buck with a great older caliber, nice matchup!
I even killed a 7 foot grizzly with it...

Right in the face, you weren't gonna fool around with that one were ya.

How long a shot was that one?
Any problem with snow on the rear sight aperture?

Bruce
Great picture and my favorite hunting conditions. I have shot many good bucks in the bed in heavy snows and high winds.
Originally Posted by saddlering
Congrads, you got it done! I form my brass for my Savage 22hp out of 25-35 brass, hope to own a rifle in 25-35 one day!

I do too, sortaā€¦I run .30-30 brass through a.25-35 die as an intermediate step to ..22 HP.

Nice job, Sharpā€¦ envious hereā€¦
Shrapnel, you be careful out there. Iā€™ve heard a fella can get arrested for having too much fun.
Great photo. Frame-worthy indeed, congrats Shrapnel.
I think If I remember right Shrappy shot the G bear at about 6' as the bear was a coming up the tree right behind him, I'll let him tell his own tale..
Mb
That's kool as hell, Congrats!
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Wellā€¦

We need details.... ( Inquiring loonies want to know).

There is one bullet and one load for the traditional 25-35, 117 grain round nose. The original fast twist rifle of 1895. Shot was just over 100 yards, nothing but netā€¦
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I even killed a 7 foot grizzly with it...

Right in the face, you weren't gonna fool around with that one were ya.

How long a shot was that one?

Sitting in a tree stand at about 15 feetā€¦
Originally Posted by saddlering

I picked up a 25-35 model B a few weeks ago, have not shot it yet. I have a few others that need to go to the range, Ill make it a 25-35 day.

Good shooting Shrap , that will be tasty.

Norm
Have a box of Winchester .25-35 ammo looking for a home if anyone is near the Ocala/Tampa part of the world.
Very cool indeed!
Very nice. Congratulations
Congrats!

Nice seeing the old Girl get some use!
Great pic, congrats
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Iā€™m surprised that wasnā€™t a more popular cartridge. I know it did have some popularity, but it certainly lagged far behind the 30-30.

Maybe because it was less powerful than the 30-30 and it was chambered in the same rifles that cost the same amount of money?

I have a few rifles chambered in 25-35, mostly Savage 1899s, a couple of Winchester 64s, and a 94 made in 1949. When I was a kid, I used a Savage 1899 ASR in 25-35 to shoot 'chucks. I loaded 75 grain Sierras over IMR 3031 in an effort to maximize its velocity potential and had some success before my Father decided that I needed a better 'chuck gun and gave me a Remington 660 in 222. I still have the Savage and probably some of those 55 year old handloads are squirreled away somewhere.

That said, the 25-35 was a lot more popular than either of its direct competitors, the 25-36 MAR and 25 REM. Marlin 1893s chambered in 25-36 are very seldom seen and Remington 8s, 14s, and 30s aren't much more common. The Steven 425(?) and Standard pumps and semi-autos being even more uncommon.
Very nicely done with a classy rifle!
Very nice, shrap. Makings of some great memories.
Those old 117 grain round nose bullets are deadly out of a 250-3000 also. Nicely done, thanks for sharing
Shrapnell. I once found a 25-35 case along a river bank in N.W. Wisconsin about 30 yrs ago . It is split apart but I can read it. I found it where the river is shallow and the deer cross there .I imagine they were doing a deer drive 100 yrs ago or so.
All these years I have wondered,, did they get the deer?
Great picture. Congrats
Great picture and memories.
Iā€™m impressed.
Awesome picture.
I've always had a 25-35 of one configuration or another. I have shot plenty of game with the cartridge and it is a fine deer killer. I have a takedown 1894 rifle now and if I ever find a nicer one, I will probably buy it. I love this high wall and found another one on an auction that I have bid on, but it isn't as cool as this high wall...

Digging that pic Schrap. We've barely had snow this fall, so far. 60 degrees here yesterday and I was running around in a tshirt.
Thanks for sharing.
Just outstanding!
Niceā€¦ my first two deer were taken with an old winchester in 25-35ā€¦
Very cool!!!! For one winter coyote hunting I used a savage 99 in 25-35 worked fine. Once shot a bear in my back yard with a 32-20. Right in the heart, didn't go any farther than another one shot with the 30-06. He was into everyone's garbage & I had little grand kids then. That's when the ministry had closed the bear season for a few years, imagine that. It's super cool using old guns & cartridges. Your the king of old cartridges Shrapnel, keep up the good job. GWP šŸ¾šŸ‘£šŸ¾šŸ‘£šŸ¾šŸ‘£šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦
Oh hell yeah! Nice work Shrapnel.
Awesome, you sir are a HUNTER, many kudos........
Is the rifle in the top picture a 94 or a 55?

I don't recall ever having seen a 55 in 25-35.
Very nice thanks for sharing. Wondered when I would see that rifle with a buck.
Very cool. Always thought the 25-35 was cool.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

It was another rare gun, a takedown 1894, 1/2 magazine, 1/2 round 1/2 octagon barrelā€¦
Nice buck, Great rifle! congrats~~
grin
Cool meter got pegged during this hunt. Good buck and a memorable way to do it. Congrats and thanks for sharing the pics and knowledge.
Excellent !
Nothing like going old school. Congratulations.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

A few years back I believe Brian Pierce did an article for Handloader or Rifle reviewing the new Hornady flex tip loads in 25-35 using a model 55 winchester. Shot a antelope buck with it at a fair distance for barrel iron use...mb
Good job and great pic,Shrapnel.

Gotter done.
Awesome picture and a very cool rifle !
Awesome photo and story. I love the 25-35, have one in a German cape gun 20 gauge ove 6.5x52r (25-35 win). I use the Hornady FTX 110 grain bullet over 26.5 grains of CFE-223 powder. Killed a deer with it last year.

I have 9 or 10 boxes of Seller & Belliot factory ammo with the 117 grain bullet for plinking.
One of the guys that used to hunt with us used to hunt with his dad's old 25-35 Winchester every year for a day.
Congrats Shrapnel!!
Getting it done in the snowšŸ˜Ž
Old school stuff!!!
That is a really nice buck!!!!!
Nice job! great rifle, great taste in a cartridge, using my favorite iron sights.

Nice at a time when we need to know others still use firearms like that.

At least in Oregon when I was a little bitty the .25-35 was a common kids and womens cartridge around Oregon. I used my sisters 24 in m1894 the first year I hunted, later I shot a few deer with my aunts SRC.
I tried to get aunties rifle when she passed but it was given to a favorite nephew.

At the time most thought it had plenty of power for deer.
Outstanding. Well done.
© 24hourcampfire