Home
Posted By: wabigoon James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Posted By: viking Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Yep. Didn’t he get the chit shot out of him in Korea?
Posted By: jaguartx Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Bigly
Posted By: Mike_S Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Liked his acting not his politics. Big lib.
Funny you should ask, I just finished watching "Support your local Sheriff "
"The Warden" has us watching "The Rockford Files"
I dunno what she'll want to watch when that is finished - but she'll come up with something old.
Posted By: JeffA Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
He was over rated.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
That pained look he was so good at!
Posted By: 338rcm Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by mark shubert
"The Warden" has us watching "The Rockford Files"
I dunno what she'll want to watch when that is finished - but she'll come up with something old.

Liked him in the Rockford files
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by 257 roberts

That one shoulda been on the list of stuff to watch yesterday. Great flick. Fine actor, Liberal dipschitt, but he ded, so I can overlook his politics. Besides, there’s a a world of difference between the old-school Liberals of his generation and the current crop of batschitt-crazies.
"Like my old pappy always told me."
watched Rockford files as a kid in the 70's ..watching the whole DVD series of it now
A couple of years before he passed, the city of Norman renamed a street for him and put up a statue (he lived his early life in and around there). He came back for the ceremony, several of my friends met him and said he seemed to be a very nice man. That could have just been his stage persona of course.

I liked a lot of his movies and TV, if he was lib, well pretty much everyone in show biz is aren't they?
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
Good movie. Garner was great in it. He was good in westerns, and I liked Rockford Files. He made a very believable old west tough guy, and hard boiled private detective.
Posted By: hanco Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Yes I do!
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Ya know, he made quite a few western movies and I read several years ago that some of the western movie actors had a quick draw contest. I dont remember all that were in the contest, but IIRC, James Arness, Clint Eastwood, Lee Marvin, Charles Bronson, Lee Van Cleef, Ben Johnson, Richard Boone and several more competed. James Garner won.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/barbarians_at_the_gate

great movie
Posted By: lotech Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Certainly among the top in his profession. Just a few days ago, I watched "Hour Of The Gun", easily Garner's best western and one of his best films. I don't care if he was a Democrat; you sure couldn't see it on screen.
I liked his work, Rockford files, Support your local sheriff... As far as him IDK never met him.
I liked him in “My Fellow Americans” with Jack Lemon. Laughed my azz off when Garner was taking a crap, singing the Macarena.
Garner stared in what most racing fans call the best racing movie ever made Grand Prix.
I saw it in cinemascope when it came out.
The man could drive and did a lot of the driving in the movie.
Garner and Graham Hill in the rain at Spa
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I forgot all about "Grand Prix". No other racing movie has ever come close to comparing with it. Sort of like the chase scene in "Bullitt" - hasn't been bested yet and probably won't be. I saw Grand Prix in Cinerama when it came out in 1966.
Posted By: barm Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
He was Combat Infantry in Korea. Good friends with Waylon Jennings.
It’s amazing with the backgrounds of some of these people they end up libtards.
I went to Garner's wiki page, he really was a libtard.
Originally Posted by barm
One gets that impression about James Garner. Very believable story.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Ya know, he made quite a few western movies and I read several years ago that some of the western movie actors had a quick draw contest. I dont remember all that were in the contest, but IIRC, James Arness, Clint Eastwood, Lee Marvin, Charles Bronson, Lee Van Cleef, Ben Johnson, Richard Boone and several more competed. James Garner won.

Little known, but Sammy Davis Jr was at the top of that list.
He was great in the Streets of Laredo
Posted By: Ackleyman Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by lotech
I forgot all about "Grand Prix". No other racing movie has ever come close to comparing with it. Sort of like the chase scene in "Bullitt" - hasn't been bested yet and probably won't be. I saw Grand Prix in Cinerama when it came out in 1966.

There was one other great racing movie, Lemans (1970) with Steve McQueen. Garner was great in Grand Prix. I like'm both equally.
Posted By: slumlord Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
You people have sure watched A LOT of TeeVee

one day you’ll give an account before The Great White Throne for all of this time wasted that you could have been winning souls for The LORD
Posted By: Tesoro Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Gerald McRaney is a turd tamper.
Posted By: joken2 Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
https://www.bestmoviesbyfarr.com/articles/what-made-james-garner/2014/07

...In a 1973 interview, no less a figure than John Wayne praised Garner as "the best American actor." ...
Appreciated his acting skill. Very good with facial expressions and creating different types of personalities for his characters. He was versatile to play both drama and comedy. I believe he credited Henry Fonda with teaching him the importance of facial expressions.

My favorites performances of his were Grand Prix, The Americanization of Emily, The Wheeler Dealers, Cash McCall and The Great Escape.

It was nice to see his old character woo and win much younger Sally Fields in Murphy’s Romance, although the character he portrayed definitely had liberal values.
Posted By: deltakid Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
IMHO, his absolute best movie was one that never seems to get credit "36 Hours". A Psych movie about the Germans trying to convince him he had amnesia and get the date for the DDay invasion. Very seldom on TV, but well worth the time.
Posted By: AML Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
He drove the pace car at the Indy 500 at least one year, maybe more.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Not really.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by Tesoro
Gerald McRaney is a turd tamper.

Is that why he's married to a gorgeous woman?
Posted By: P_Weed Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
He was a maverick.
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by deltakid
IMHO, his absolute best movie was one that never seems to get credit "36 Hours". A Psych movie about the Germans trying to convince him he had amnesia and get the date for the DDay invasion. Very seldom on TV, but well worth the time.

I thought that was a great movie too.
A guy who runs the Baja 500 in a Cutlass 442 can't be all bad.

[Linked Image from speednik.com]
Originally Posted by Ackleyman

There was one other great racing movie, Lemans (1970) with Steve McQueen. Garner was great in Grand Prix. I like'm both equally.

I suppose tastes in films vary a lot. I was certainly a Steve McQueen fan, but Lemans never came close to comparing with Grand Prix.
Originally Posted by Ackleyman

I suppose tastes in films vary a lot. I was certainly a Steve McQueen fan, but Lemans never came close to comparing with Grand Prix.
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Originally Posted by deltakid

I thought that was a great movie too.

36 Hours was a decent film worth watching once but it was a long way from James Garner's best efforts.
Posted By: windridge Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by Mike_S

This

He didn't feed the worms soon enough for me, as I became aware of his anti-politics. I was a great Maverick fan as a kid, not knowing he thought I shouldn't be allowed to own guns.
Posted By: rainshot Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Support your Local Sherriff and Support your Local Gunfighter were good. Garner has a lot of great support. He had a good run but I hated his politics.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Hour of the gun was a good one.
When James put hie finger in of Brennen's six-gun, that was a hoot!
Originally Posted by rem shooter
watched Rockford files as a kid in the 70's ..watching the whole DVD series of it now

One of my favorites when I was in JH & HS in the 70’s
Posted By: shrapnel Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Little known, but Sammy Davis Jr was at the top of that last.

Maybe a bigger surprise is Jerry Lewis probably beat all of those guys…
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
I never met him. So I could care only slightly less. He was an actor.

Speaking of actors, my mother met Henry Fonda, and had several interactions with him. She was working in her uncle's dry cleaning business in Jackson while Fonda was filming "Spencer's Mountain." Fonda dropped off and picked up his own laundry. Again, I don't care, but she did.

This fascination with (((celebrities))) is one of the reasons the world is so broken. They lie and pretend, and we reward them with wealth, notoriety, fame, and influence.

My kids make up stories and act them out daily. Obviously POTUS material.
Posted By: slumlord Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by wabigoon

I can only imagine
Posted By: KillerBee Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Pretty classy guy compared to most Hollywood types, was married to the same woman until he passed.

He sued Universal Studios for Breach of Contract and won. He was awarded $16,5000.00.

I liked him in The Great Escape and Rockford Files.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
I don't think is real anti gun as he use to hunt pheasant's on a friends ranch that I did in Idaho
Posted By: joken2 Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Posted By: duke61 Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
I watch Rockford Files reruns to see 60s and early 70s cars still on the road.

Little known, but Sammy Davis Jr was at the top of that list.

I was going to add Jerry, but could not remember where I read it and some one would call me out
Posted By: deflave Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by coyote268
I don't think is real anti gun as he use to hunt pheasant's on a friends ranch that I did in Idaho

Tommy Lee Jones has one of the most extensive Savage 99 collections in the world.

You think he’s pro-gun?
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by wabigoon

I can only imagine
It was in Support Your Local Sheriff. YouTube had it so you could watch it for free for the longest time. Might still be free on YouTube.
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Pretty classy guy compared to most Hollywood types, was married to the same woman until he passed.

He sued Universal Studios for Breach of Contract and won. He was awarded $16,5000.00.

That number you have there makes no sense. Did you mean $16,500,000.00?
He was good in 8 simple rules….

Funny show back in the day.

I watched it cause it had a young Kaley Couco.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: scrooster Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22

He sure was .... he was one of the first big male stars in Hollywood to-go woke. Robert Mitchum and he were both left wing zealots.

Still, he was one lf my favorite actors back in the day.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by KillerBee

That number you have there makes no sense. Did you mean $16,500,000.00?

Opps sorry correct $16,500,000.00, pretty nice haul back in the day, in today's terms more like $30,000,000.00!
Originally Posted by scrooster

He sure was .... he was one of the first big male stars in Hollywood to-go woke. Robert Mitchum and he were both left wing zealots.

Hold up mister….

Robert Mitchum was woke??

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22

Yep heard this also he was quick, quick on the draw...
I was always impressed with Garner's quick draw demonstration to his new deputy (Jack Elam) in Support Your Local Sheriff.

He followed up by telling him, "and I don't have a particularly quick draw." Or something to that effect.
Posted By: scrooster Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I was always impressed with Garner's quick draw demonstration to his new deputy (Jack Elam) in Support Your Local Sheriff.

I liked the shooting the hole through the washer part ... the red paint where the bars were supposed-to-be, finding Trudy in the tree, so-on and so-forth. One of the greatest comedy westerns of all-time and one of my favorite movies.

Joan whatshername ... I always thought she was a beautiful woman. Hate the way she died.
Posted By: MichiGun Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/25/22
I was stationed at Fort Benning when they shot the film Tank, and got to see the man in person. We were told not to bother the man and ask for autographs and such.

When I saw him he was walking from the outdoor set and went straight to his trailer, avoiding eye contact with everyone. At first I thought he was a dick, but found out a few weeks later he was really suffering badly from arthritis.
Originally Posted by MichiGun
I was stationed at Fort Benning when they shot the film Tank, and got to see the man in person. We were told not to bother the man and ask for autographs and such.

When I saw him he was walking from the outdoor set and went straight to his trailer, avoiding eye contact with everyone. At first I thought he was a dick, but found out a few weeks later he was really suffering badly from arthritis.
I remember the exact theater I saw that at on Long Island.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/26/22
I'd probably have to pick Duel at Diablo

My daddy could have been his movie
stand in
Not exactly sure how the handsome gene
passed me by. Got his daddy-my grandpa's
no hair pot belly gene instead
Posted By: gunzo Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/26/22
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Hold up mister….

Hate to say this, but the tall, broad shouldered, deep voiced Mitchum's bio just about made me sick.

He found work as a machine operator during WWII & the noise of the machinery damaged his hearing. HE LATER HAD A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN THAT HURT HIS EYESIGHT DUE TO THE DEMANDS OF HIS JOB.

JFC, ya recon he didn't want to get drafted???????????????? Or was just the biggest pussy in the state?

I've said it before...90+% of Hollywood actors are effed up as far as most of us live or think. They are totally out of reality of how most of America lives. They are in a dream world of playing fantasy, so their personal views should mean nothing to the average American. Entertainment purposes only.
I’ll be….

One of my favorite weeeeeesterns is “Five Card stud”
I’ll be….

One of my favorite weeeeeesterns is “Five Card stud”

Good one with Dean Martin, Robert Mitchum, and Yaphet Kotto.

I remember going to see it with my uncle at the local Paramount theatre when I was 8 or 9.

Hold up mister….

He once got arrested for smoking wacky weed. And he talked a lot of trash about John Wayne.
Yaphet kotto the black guy that got kilt in the flour?
Yaphet kotto the black guy that got kilt in the flour?

Yep. Played a bad guy in one of the old 007 flicks. And a cop in Homicide: Life on the Street.
Posted By: slumlord Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/26/22
Campfire Ebert
Posted By: WMR Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/26/22
He played one of the central characters in “The Ultimate Gift”. If you haven’t seen it , you’re missing a gem. One of the best family movies ever.
Posted By: WTF Re: James Garner, like him? - 11/26/22
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I went to Garner's wiki page, he really was a libtard.

And a big pot smoker.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Campfire Ebert

LOL. No more Mannix reruns for you Mister ! 😜
© 24hourcampfire