Home
I'm looking for a new pup/dog for a family pet and also for me to take to the farm rambling about, hunting, and riding the ATV. I would love it if there was such a thing as a beagle-sized Labrador, because that's all we've had in 50+ years and just love their personalities and bidableness.
I'm getting older, and need a dog that is small enough to physically handle to get in in and out of the truck and the ATV.
My dad has a miniature schnauzer that fits the bill, except that it's one barking sumvamitch - that ain't gonna work, as I can't stand a mouthy, barking dog.
A rat terrier would likely work, except I have yet to see one that wasn't a barker also.
I don't mind if they give one or two barks of alert when someone comes to the door, but when they won't let up it drives me crazy.

Any suggestions?
Cocker spaniel, daughter had one , smart friendly, would let us know if anyone was in the yard, loved to chase squirrels would have been a good hunter if someone had taken the time to train her about 35 pounds of busy pup
Look into a standard schnauzer. Not barky little ankle biters.

They don't shed in the house either, but you need to clip them when they need it. (I do my own clipping)

I've had a standard for 30 years, been through 3 of them. I've never been disappointed with the breed. Scary smart and obedient.

Have giant schnauzers too, but they aren't for amateurs... laugh

Grey one is Bandit, he's a standard. Black one is Bailey, and she's a giant.

They LOVE hunting. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Our Miniature Schnauzer only barks when alerting or startled.

He just hit 17 years old earlier this month and has been that way from the beginning.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I'm looking for a new pup/dog for a family pet and also for me to take to the farm rambling about, hunting, and riding the ATV. I would love it if there was such a thing as a beagle-sized Labrador, because that's all we've had in 50+ years and just love their personalities and bidableness.
I'm getting older, and need a dog that is small enough to physically handle to get in in and out of the truck and the ATV.
My dad has a miniature schnauzer that fits the bill, except that it's one barking sumvamitch - that ain't gonna work, as I can't stand a mouthy, barking dog.
A rat terrier would likely work, except I have yet to see one that wasn't a barker also.
I don't mind if they give one or two barks of alert when someone comes to the door, but when they won't let up it drives me crazy.

Any suggestions?

Maybe go online and look at the local pound and shelters. They might have some dogs you want to go visit in person.
We had a standard schnauzer. Cancer took him at five years old. We still grieve as he was a very special boy. Super smart and a quick learner.
We have a border terrier now, he’s five months old. He’s a joy, quite a character, energetic and will play by himself. He’ll be a good one to roam the beartooths with
Look into English Cocker Spaniels out of serious hunting bloodlines. Sounds like one of those would fill the bill.

RS
I would look at Boykins and Tollers smaller and great all around dogs.

I am partial to Tollers only because, one became available before any Boykin breeders.

Maggie was very larger for breed, but was a very nice house dog.
Abby is smaller, and very calm in the house, now her little sister Lucy is only 14 weeks and still full of piss and vinegar!

Maggie
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Abby (ridding to Pheasant hunting last year)

Lucy (fur)
In this corner, weighing in at 12 pounds... standards go about 30, I understand. They are hounds with said characteristics. Less biddable than Labs, of which we have also had one at the same time, with both of out minis.

Honey is a Lab? mix about 45 lbs.

Our Reagan
Get a dachshund. They think they're 10' tall and bulletproof. Great lapdogs, hunting and riding companions. I have the recently adopted Bella (who was a barking shît) in 2 months trained to give 2 barks warning and then shuts up. Will keep your feet warm on cold winter nights. Not picky eaters. Always alert. Eager to please whether it be going for a hike, lazing in the recliner or riding around.

I never cared much for these dogs in the past but since mom had to go to the nursing home I was forced to take Bella as my own. In 2 months time she has won my heart.
Schnoodle

Best dog I've ever had. Smart AF, doesn't shed, good companions.

https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/schnoodle#/slide/1

A lot of men I grew up around working in the oilfield in Texas had schnauzers bouncing around in the truck with them all over the place. Some blue healers too, but seemed like the schnauzers outnumbered them. My dad had a female standard schnauzer that was the smartest dang dog I have ever been around. It was like she was almost human sometimes.. He took her everywhere, thought it was going to kill him when she died...i don't remember her ever being a big yapper or barker...Not even half as bad or as loud as the shepherds, healers, or labs i've been around.

Any suggestions?
Brittany spaniel ..
Another vote for a schnauzer.
No shedding.
Border Terrier

The alert, good-natured Border Terrier was originally bred to assist in foxhunts by driving foxes out of their hiding places and out into the open for the hounds to chase. Nowadays, they make great family members who adore their humans.

[Linked Image from dogtime.com]
Standard Schnauzer…….smart, athletic, do not shed, maybe a little big for a true lap dog. If so, look for a larger version of the Miniature Schnauzer……same dog in a smaller package! memtb
West Highland White Terrier (Westie).

Had mine for almost 17 years. Great personality - liked everyone. Adapted to everyone in the family. Companion to me; playmate for the son; lapdog for the daughter. In later years, great with my very elderly parents - gentle and patient with them.

Very very intelligent. Incredibly easy to house train.

Almost no shedding.

What do I know, though !
I'd try an adoption shelter first

Lot'sa nice, intelligent, intermediate sized breeds that will fit the bill.
Blue/red heeler
Black mouth cur
Catahoula, etc, etc.....
Check out Jagdterriers. Incredible dogs
Mountain cur for the win
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
I'd try an adoption shelter first

Lot'sa nice, intelligent, intermediate sized breeds that will fit the bill.
Blue/red heeler
Black mouth cur
Catahoula, etc, etc.....

I got a 35-40lb Catahoula mix (gray/black merle) at the shelter a long time ago. He was some kind of cross with a wiener dog or Bassett Hound, as his legs were half-length. Even so, that sucker was athletic as could be and one of the smartest I've had. He was going to get the newspaper in no time. Great little dog. Older lady turned him in at the shelter as she just couldn't give him the time and effort he needed due to her health and age. She came and visited him until he got adopted.
My rat terrier doesn't bark much. Quite a bit less noise than the schnauzer's I've been around.

He's a great companion, very smart. Really athletic and loves to run (and jump), but also likes to be a lap dog and nap the afternoon away. He does shed though.
Originally Posted by JPro

Any suggestions?

Maybe go online and look at the local pound and shelters. They might have some dogs you want to go visit in person.
I have no problem with that, but at least need to know what I'm looking for.

Down here, and pretty much every place I know of, pounds and animal shelters are basically one breed, or a mixed breed of the same.... Pit Bulls.
Mountain curs, wheelers, and German shorthairs are going to be too big for me.
Another vote for Cocker spaniel. I like runts of litter in that breed too. Smaller the better. Better lap dog, better at getting into the smallest, thickest, spots after upland birds.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Down here, and pretty much every place I know of, pounds and animal shelters are basically one breed, or a mixed breed of the same.... Pit Bulls.
Yep, same here in eastern NC.
About a month ago, we began looking for a dog for my daughter. She and I spent the entire day driving to animal shelters within a 2 hr drive of home and only found pit mixes and mixed pits 😄. She finally ended up getting a registered 16 month old Corgi a couple of weeks ago.
He's been great as a pet for her, but he's not athletic enough to be taking to the woods and farm with me. Due to his low ground clearance he pushes leaves through the woods rather than running over them. 😄
I have had, beagles, collies, labs, dashounds, mutts,Irish Setter, German short hair, German shepherds, blue heelers, even a full blooded wolf . Don't know about all these other breed posted, the blue heeler wins hand down. I would have another one but when ours past away we started looking and the price was $600,in a year it was $1000.They are sure athletic enough,but do need a job. Not high stung, just a good work work ethic They can be lap dog or go to work on the farm. We referred to ours as velcro dog. About 35-40 pounds. I don't go much for those little ankle biters.

I am a big believer in rescue dogs. We have lab cross right now. They come with some baggage usually, but appreciate the love.
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Another vote for Cocker spaniel. I like runts of litter in that breed too. Smaller the better. Better lap dog, better at getting into the smallest, thickest, spots after upland birds.
Cockers are definitely high on my list. However, my dad and wife both said that they are known to be biters; though neither of them have owned one and I'm sure are basing that on hearsay or an example of "1".
Been around some Vizslas. If not too big, they might be perfect.
Hunting dog too!

We had a Jack Russel mix.
Great little dog, the mix is key.
100% Jack is 2000lb of energy in a 20lb sac.
200lb of dog aggression.

Casey was great dog.
But even tempered by blood she had the fight instinct.
You could easily piss her off to the point of her wrinkling her lip,
as a warning. Near her end, she got pissy and bit my wife and i
both. Once each. Younger dog, it would have been over.
But she had 13 years of history to temper me. I healed, she had to
be put down soon after.

Hmmmm. Maybe I won't recommend a Jack.
Memory is biased.
I have a full blooded Catahoula female that is in the 35 to 37 lb range. She is one of the most athletic dogs that I have ever seen. That said, they don’t make a good lap/couch dog. They typically want a job outside.
Border collie, or perhaps a Heeler.

Yep. Same here.
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

What do I know, though !

Once again New 2 99’s wins the Internet dog photos award! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Oldest recently got a female mini Australian Shepherd.
Dog is smart, mellow, and affectionate. Wonderful.

Unlike her male full size Australian Shepherd. That guy is a million miles an hr all the time. Yeeesh.
Originally Posted by MPat70
Get a dachshund. They think they're 10' tall and bulletproof. Great lapdogs, hunting and riding companions. I have the recently adopted Bella (who was a barking shît) in 2 months trained to give 2 barks warning and then shuts up. Will keep your feet warm on cold winter nights. Not picky eaters. Always alert. Eager to please whether it be going for a hike, lazing in the recliner or riding around.

I never cared much for these dogs in the past but since mom had to go to the nursing home I was forced to take Bella as my own. In 2 months time she has won my heart.

^^^This^^^
If I were to get a lapdog / traveling companion, it would definitely be a dachshund.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Every Border Collie I’ve been around was high strung. I had to choose between those 2 breeds, it would be a healer. But both breeds are always looking for something to chase or herd. 🤠
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Great photo! Roger, how did your dog get along with your pet Fox ???
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

He's my brother's dog, but I spend a lot of time with him, John and I hunt and fish together a lot.

Every Border Collie I’ve been around was high strung. I had to choose between those 2 breeds, it would be a healer. But both breeds are always looking for something to chase or herd. 🤠

Doing things without a dog is also an option.
Only sadness

He's my brother's dog, but I spend a lot of time with him, John and I hunt and fish together a lot.

That’s cool !

LOL. Looks like a vicious guard dog, DD.
My little brother never goes anywhere in his pickup without his Heeler. He’s had heelers all his life.
We had a poodle when I was a kid that was great. About 20-25 lbs (moyen size, I guess). Not yappy, you could teach him anything in a few minutes. No quit in him - if he went after a cat (he hated them) you’d have to pull him off even though a big tom would have him yelping and scratched to hell. Saw him run a GSD out of the yard once. Lucky for him the GSD left willingly. He’d go after anutyyou told him to. Even had him track a downed bird a day after it was shot.

Had two GWPs we had to put down in the last two years. I’d like to get another one but wife is done with shedding hair. I’m thinking a standard poodle from the right lines will fit the bill
If anyone said truck,you had best be ready to go,but no stranger ever got in the truck.

Originally Posted by GeorgeLa
We had a poodle when I was a kid that was great. About 20-25 lbs (moyen size, I guess). Not yappy, you could teach him anything in a few minutes. No quit in him - if he went after a cat (he hated them) you’d have to pull him off even though a big tom would have him yelping and scratched to hell. Saw him run a GSD out of the yard once. Lucky for him the GSD left willingly. He’d go after anutyyou told him to. Even had him track a downed bird a day after it was shot.

Had two GWPs we had to put down in the last two years. I’d like to get another one but wife is done with shedding hair. I’m thinking a standard poodle from the right lines will fit the bill

I think poodles might be one of the most underrated breeds out there.
I appreciate the recommendation, but I can't stand those dogs for some reason. Still just a tad too big for me regardless.
I have a poodle/shih Tzu currently that is the best dog I’ve ever had. It hunts mice and chipmunks, well.

The Definition of a Lap Dog.
I like to get a medium poodle and red heeler combo dog.
Originally Posted by deflave
Doing things without a dog is also an option.
That's currently where I'm at now - it's lonely. But, I'm a dog person - always have been since I was born.
If you have a horrific temper, get a heeler.

Nobody will question your killing a Heeler.
The thing about heelers is that unless he's yours you don't just go up and pet one. The same could be said for many dogs I guess.

I like the heeler's personality. Tough, low drama, yes they can be aloof but in a good way. But they do shed, alot...

Hello Gracie, miss you.
I’ve owned and hunted with both a Boykin and Field Bred English Cocker. Both great house and family dogs and both great bird dogs. Both loved to swim and play too. Neither was a barker. Both are high energy and require time outdoors though. Walking them around on a leash doesn’t do it.
Originally Posted by basdjs
I’ve owned and hunted with both a Boykin and Field Bred English Cocker. Both great house and family dogs and both great bird dogs. Both loved to swim and play too. Neither was a barker. Both are high energy and require time outdoors though. Walking them around on a leash doesn’t do it.
We have 2 FBECs and love them. Basdjs is right about their energy level and exercise needs.

I love dogs but hate heelers. Another benefit is you and beat the [bleep] out of it and it won't know or care, tough as nails.
You might want to check out a Mountain Cur, it’d be hard to find a better athlete, very intelligent, quite and tough as nails.
Both mine were about 30 lbs. Mine would tree naturally coon, squirrel as good as any Walker I’ve owned, and one would run done and flat whip every coyote that he got wind of too. Stayed and kennel’d as good as I’ve owned.
Might or might not be a tad bigger than you were looking for, not cheap but I wished I had one now.
Originally Posted by ackleydave
Originally Posted by basdjs
We have 2 FBECs and love them. Basdjs is right about their energy level and exercise needs.
Damn, that's a shame. I am quite active, but it sounds to me like they would be too high-strung for me.
What about a greyhound? The worlds fastest couch potato.

There are groups who rehome ex racing dogs, and all the dogs want to do is cuddle. No need to exercise them, and after a little conditioning they are ok with small animals as well.

I hunt birds over pointers, but if I ever get to the point that I can't hunt I'll sit on a sofa with a greyhound while I wait for the big journey.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Probably be a damn smart dog Sam. We had a poodle when I was a kid that was really smart.
And I’ve never been around a dumb heeler. Hard headed maybe, but smart as hell.
Originally Posted by RPN
What about a greyhound? The worlds fastest couch potato.

There are groups who rehome ex racing dogs, and all the dogs want to do is cuddle. No need to exercise them, and after a little conditioning they are ok with small animals as well.

I hunt birds over pointers, but if I ever get to the point that I can't hunt I'll sit on a sofa with a greyhound while I wait for the big journey.
My wife’s cousins daughter has 3 retired greyhounds. Such sweet dogs.

Yep. Same here.

Yeah- my son got a pup as a "Lab-mix- turned out to be an 80 lb pit - mix. Well- he is mostly black. Fuggin marshmallow, but no lap dog- unless you ask the dog....

Then they got a "Dachshund-mix". She is obviously a black-mouth cur mix- 50 lbs.

Can't say much for my son's judgement in puppy dogs, or the pound's honesty....

Both are great dogs. Not lap dogs tho.

Unless you ask them...

Probably be a damn smart dog Sam. We had a poodle when I was a kid that was really smart.
I had a heeler when I was young and single. Expensive dog, was given to me free because he was too hard on the cows. My buddy was going to put him down.
Smartest dog I've ever had. Got him at 1 year old. He lived till he was 17. Ypu could talk to him in complete sentences. He'd pick the 3 commands out of the sentence and do them in order. I miss that dude.
Latest rez hound.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Latest rez hound.

Dude, you need a for realz rez dog like this

30 lbs. Of toof
Let me be a bit more specific on my size requirements. I'm wanting cocker spaniel/miniature schnauzer/dachsund/toy rat terrier/beagle, etc. size. Not cattle dog/mountain cur/greyhound/vizsla size.
Take a look at the Patterdale Terrier.
Let me be a bit more specific on my size requirements. I'm wanting cocker spaniel/miniature schnauzer/dachsund/toy rat terrier/beagle, etc. size. Not cattle dog/mountain cur/greyhound/vizsla size.

You need a big old GFY

Picky prick
A cat would probably suit you the best.
Originally Posted by crittrgittr

You need a big old GFY

Picky prick
Excuse me? I don't know who you think you are, but I'm the one who started this thread and am rightfully the one to set my requirements.

So, I believe that makes you the one who needs to GFY.
A cat would probably suit you the best.
It appears to me that a bi tch-slap would probably suit you best.
Guilty...

The thing about heelers is that unless he's yours you don't just go up and pet one. The same could be said for many dogs I guess.

I like the heeler's personality. Tough, low drama, yes they can be aloof but in a good way. But they do shed, alot...

I agree 100% and don't fug with my truck when he's in it!
OP - I had a cocker spaniel for a lot of years, she would have fulfilled your requirements as a quiet, easy to please dog. No drama, nice size and quiet - generally just happy to be near me and have me scratch her head from time to time.
Not the smartest dog I ever owned but I never aspired to own a dog smarter than me anyway. smile

drover
The only reason we didn’t look for another standard schnauzer is because our first one was so incredible. He knew the difference in key fobs so he would sit by the vehicle I had the fob to. Trailed bears but he wouldn’t tell me if it was a b bear or a damn grizzly. Broke our hearts to lose him so early.
My wife’s friend talked us into a border terrier. He is awesome. Smart, very happy and fits right in to our lives. Twenty or so pound buddy that loves us. Can’t wait for him to be grown
Latest rez hound.

Getting big Sam ! The good news is it probably hasn’t got too many Chihuahua genes. 😜
Originally Posted by RUM7

I had a heeler when I was young and single. Expensive dog, was given to me free because he was too hard on the cows. My buddy was going to put him down.
Smartest dog I've ever had. Got him at 1 year old. He lived till he was 17. Ypu could talk to him in complete sentences. He'd pick the 3 commands out of the sentence and do them in order. I miss that dude.

Smartest dog I ever had was half red heeler and half coyote. If that sob barked at night, you’d best go outside with a gun in hand.

You need a big old GFY

Picky prick
Excuse me? I don't know who you think you are, but I'm the one who started this thread and am rightfully the one to set my requirements.

Go to a breeder or a shelter and let the dog pick you. You sound so picky that any dog would probably just piss up your leg anyway.
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
West Highland White Terrier (Westie).

Had mine for almost 17 years. Great personality - liked everyone. Adapted to everyone in the family. Companion to me; playmate for the son; lapdog for the daughter. In later years, great with my very elderly parents - gentle and patient with them.

Very very intelligent. Incredibly easy to house train.

Almost no shedding.

I'll second this vote!
Lapdog and watchdog Supreme!
He used to catch squirrels when he was younger.
I've owned labs, labradoodles, goldens, etc.
This breed tops them all.
Easy to house-train and entirely too smart for his own good.

Attached picture Moose.jpg
We had a Feist when I was young. He was hell on a squirrel! About the right size and didn't shed much but they might be more barky than you want.

My first wife had a female Dachshund that was a great house dog, she wouldn't let me take her to woods, always thought she would hunt.

If I were looking for another mutt, the first trait would have to be little or no shedding. Kept a Springer for 13 years. He's been gone 10 years now and I still find his hair once in a while!

Good luck!
Originally Posted by drover
OP - I had a cocker spaniel for a lot of years, she would have fulfilled your requirements as a quiet, easy to please dog. No drama, nice size and quiet - generally just happy to be near me and have me scratch her head from time to time.
Not the smartest dog I ever owned but I never aspired to own a dog smarter than me anyway. smile

drover

My dogs have generally found me to be easy.... smile

Short-haired Doxies... you won't notice the shedding. Mine have been hunting fools. Squirrels, grouse, hares, caribou. Trained them out of going after moose. They don't like bears much...

Well, maybe between the sheets get a bit itchy, if one is sensitive to that.

You need a big old GFY

Picky prick

Go to a breeder or a shelter and let the dog pick you. You sound so picky that any dog would probably just piss up your leg anyway.
Just stop. Your insults add nothing of substance to this thread and only bring out the worst in the rest of us long-time members who understand how to have an intelligent conversation without the drama.
Originally Posted by hookeye

Unlike her male full size Australian Shepherd. That guy is a million miles an hr all the time. Yeeesh.

Yup...the Mini Aussie. Our female goes 35 lbs, about 17/18" tall. Easily the smartest dog I've ever had. Works hard when it's time, but mellows out when it's time for that too.
Yep, tons of drama

Originally Posted by RUM7

Smartest dog I ever had was half red heeler and half coyote. If that sob barked at night, you’d best go outside with a gun in hand.
At the time I lived out in the middle of an orchard in a house my buddy and I rented from a farmer we knew. That blue heeler would sit at the door and barl when coyotes were out and about. We would just let him out. It sounded like WW3 out in the orchard. Lol. He would always come back in one piece. All sobered up and maybe a cut or two. Always happy as hell to mix it up. And yes, don't approach the truck if he's in the back. It could be hazardous to your health.
I had already forgot the question. Sounds like you're seriously taking advise from half drunk cranky guys in the internet. So, get yourself a cocker and call it a day.
Originally Posted by akpls
Originally Posted by hookeye

Yup...the Mini Aussie. Our female goes 35 lbs, about 17/18" tall. Easily the smartest dog I've ever had. Works hard when it's time, but mellows out when it's time for that too.

Never seen one of the mini Aussie’s. I bet they are cool.
Yep, tons of drama

Great photo! Labs are some funny knuckleheads.
OK- I'm an unabashed Lab/Doxie guy - but the mini -Aussie or Cocker dogs seem to be what you want.. Maybe some others too.

And Critter- that is the most disgusting/funniest Lab pic I've ever seen - and mine were pretty damned good at it!
Knew I shouldn’t have opened this thread… had to put down my buddy “tuffy” a few months ago…when asked if he was a Jack Russell I’d answer no… he was a Bob Barker… really miss the little bastard, but he loved to bark. Tuffys brother Skeeter is just the opposite…he doesn’t make a sound till he’s ripping the ass out of something…
45 # lab? mix, and borrow the neighbor's 9 month old mongrel for a day or two? Hardly any trouble at all.

Up stairs or down. Elmo took a beating tho.

When I read your title...I immediately thought Boykin or Cocker. And, I read all the input and people gave some good advice all the way around.

We've had daschunds in the past...one lived almost 17 years. Did the border collie thing...she lived 14 years, very smart but not cuddly.

Then we got SM's and my wife loves them so we are stuck with that breed...they are good dogs but maybe a little bigger than you want we have four females (43lbs, 46lbs, 46lbs, 44lbs).

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Great Christmas photo there Leaky Waders !!!
Both young female adults 1+ (the red) 2+ (the blue) years and are just brilliant. I am not a rancher but they do run acreage yet are fine in the house. They are in their kennels sleeping with Momma as I type. They do like their kennels. The blue sheds like hell (semi-annual blow time at the moment), the red not at all. The red midget was the sole survivor of a litter of two. Likely our last dogs.

Originally Posted by RipSnort
Look into English Cocker Spaniels out of serious hunting bloodlines. Sounds like one of those would fill the bill.

RS
My sister has one that's about two years old. He barks more at the folks place than at home, still not bad though. He's from an agility rather than hunting line, so lots of energy.
One of the best we've had was a border collie / lab mix. Had the intelligence and coloration of a BC but the coat and dexterity of a lab. Bigger dog, about 75#, and thought he was a lap dog. He almost trained himself. No-kill shelter find. Smart dog. I got a Chessie while in college. Hunted with him for over 12 years, he was 1 1/2 yo when I got him. Great on upland birds and with our kids. Son would ride him like a 125# horse and use his ears for reigns as a toddler, dog never so much as looked cross-eyed at him.

Last 9 dogs we've had have been either shelter finds or give-aways. Still have 5 of them. They are all different personalities, and they will pick you, not the other way around.

Good luck with your search. (I have become partial to the standard dachshunds over the years, though.)
Manchester Terrier should check all of your boxes. Cool dogs. Muscular and spry.
I have a mix that’s mostly Manchester but has white on chest and paws. He’s gotten a bit grey in the muzzle in these pics as he is @ 8. Loves to chase squirrels, kill rats and rabbits and is just as comfortable on the couch lounging with the kids. He does not like to play “ dress-up” even when he’s the sheriff.
When he passes, I will find another.

Originally Posted by EdM
Both young female adults 1+ (the red) 2+ (the blue) years and are just brilliant. I am not a rancher but they do run acreage yet are fine in the house. They are in their kennels sleeping with Momma as I type. They do like their kennels. The blue sheds like hell (semi-annual blow time at the moment), the red not at all. The red midget was the sole survivor of a litter of two. Likely our last dogs.

As I've said in the past, those are some good looking dogs EdM. They remind me of mine.
I knew a woman that kept Pomeranians and French bulldogs. They were both fun

I had a heeler once, extremely smart and great help with the livestock. She was also protective and very loyal
Important thread for us here on farm as BIL(former farmer with MS) just lost his second companion in 5 years. We have been getting rescue dogs from the pound. This time around ....small, good companion, no shed, no pulling my sister into next county as she has her hands full.....Interesting pooches on here!

Do you know how big a mountain cur is?
Originally Posted by hardin284

Do you know how big a mountain cur is?
Well, sir, I had to check because I honestly wasn't 100% sure I knew, but this description is pretty much what I was thinking: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Cur
With a jacked up reconstructed shoulder, there's no way I'm going to be able to handle 30-60 lbs.
The Miniature American Shepherd, aka Miniature Australian Shepherd. The AKC officially recognizes them as "American," but in reality they're the same breed.

Only breed that has bitten me more than Cocker Spaniels are German Shepherd types.
I'm biased, I guess. our last 3 were Border Collies or mixes. They need quite a bit of coat maintenance, though.
(Ours were long-haired)
I would say Sheltie but it’s a mixed bag. I have one that’s high strung, the other 3 are good to go, no issues. Bad part is the high strung one rubs off on the younger pup and they both can get rowdy.

Ruger has been solid gold, best dog ever.
If you work long or weird hours that the dog can't be with you all the time, and you plan on it being an inside dogs when at home, I would suggest a small female type that you can potty box train in the home. Never have to worry about coming home to a mess.

Easier to potty box train that to housebreak a dog. That's been my experience anyway.

Lola will happily go outside but if she has to she will always use the box☝️
Originally Posted by MPat70
If you work long or weird hours that the dog can't be with you all the time, and you plan on it being an inside dogs when at home, I would suggest a small female type that you can potty box train in the home. Never have to worry about coming home to a mess.

Easier to potty box train that to housebreak a dog. That's been my experience anyway.

Lola will happily go outside but if she has to she will always use the box☝️
Interesting.
My dogs will stay outside on the screened porch with a doggie door to the outside when we are gone.
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Only breed that has bitten me more than Cocker Spaniels are German Shepherd types.
)
What in the world kind of work do you do that you have been bitten by multiple dogs - veterinarian? Animal control? Mailman?
Oh boy....... smile
Looking for similar breed as well.

Had a Bishon-Shih-Tzu for 17 years, may just get another. Lots of coyotes around us so that makes me hesitant.

Was pretty much a house dog, but we lived in town when we got him so it worked. Didnt shed at all, very smart. Loved to sit between your feet on the recliner. Tried the litterbox training when he was a pup, he wouldnt have it.

Would chase about anything once we got out of town, would kill small rabbits, mice, chipmunks if he could catch them.

He liked to watch tv with us and would jump down and bark at dogs or other animals he saw on tv. When the scene changed and they were gone, he would do his "I'm a Bad Azz, I chased them away" walk. Putting him down was one of the hardest things we had to do.
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
When I read your title...I immediately thought Boykin or Cocker. And, I read all the input and people gave some good advice all the way around.

We've had daschunds in the past...one lived almost 17 years. Did the border collie thing...she lived 14 years, very smart but not cuddly.

Then we got SM's and my wife loves them so we are stuck with that breed...they are good dogs but maybe a little bigger than you want we have four females (43lbs, 46lbs, 46lbs, 44lbs).

What breed is this, a SM?
The wife says once she can no longer handle the goldens we typically get, she's getting a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I find them to be a bit homely, but she's been around a lot of them over the years and says their temperament is top notch.

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/cavalier-king-charles-spaniel/
Originally Posted by Jungleland
The wife says once she can no longer handle the goldens we typically get, she's getting a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I find them to be a bit homely, but she's been around a lot of them over the years and says their temperament is top notch.

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/cavalier-king-charles-spaniel/
One of my customers is a Cavalier King Charles and Cavapoo breeder. She told me that the Cavs were the sweetest dogs ever, but not very bright. She says they are the blondes of the dog world. 😄
Thanks! Chilinstructo

SM = Small Munsterlander
get a small female whpg about 40 lbs
Here's another vote for a mini aussie/american shepard. Google Faithwalk Aussies! Breeder is switching from full size aussies to mini american shepards. Knows her stuff. You will have to pass the sniff test to get one of her pups.
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter
Here's another vote for a mini aussie/american shepard. Google Faithwalk Aussies! Breeder is switching from full size aussies to mini american shepards. Knows her stuff. You will have to pass the sniff test to get one of her pups.
What is she gonna sniff, my finger? Before or afterwards? 😄

Sorry - satan made me do it.😏
I've had Papilions most of my adult life, hence the avatar. Only 1 yapper. However, they are not an outdoors dog or hardy when it comes to running thru weeds and such. I think you need to look at a mini Australian Shepard, but first go to you local pound/shelter(s) and check out what they have to offer. Something might just fit the bill.
Plenty of good ones suggested. I can tell you first hand do NOT get a German Wirehair or Drathaar😂 My female is 45 pounds, like Velcro on you but is hell on wheels when you let her outside. Highly intelligent but I wonder if there is ever an off switch with her.

A Boykin may be a good fit. I was going to get a Boykin but didn’t want too small of a dog, then ended up with a smallish Wirehair that isn’t much bigger than a Boykin male 🤦‍♂️

Why in the fugk would someone want to breed a good breed down to a mini. I never could understand that. She doesn't know jack scjit!
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska

Why in the fugk would someone want to breed a good breed down to a mini. I never could understand that. She doesn't know jack scjit!
She's not breeding anything "down" as the Mini American is a separate, distinct breed of it's own. They've been around for over 60 years and are every bit as "good" as any full-size breed when it comes to herding or agility. They're tough little dogs, able to work outside in all weather conditions over any terrain.
Cairn Terrier. Great smaller dog IMO. No shedding and tough as nails.
Neutered male cat
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Neutered male cat
Thanks for your suggestion. However, I believe I specified "dog" in both the thread title and the first post.
Try again.
Look at a moyen (medium) poodle, they are around 15-25 pounds at maturity.

That's said in my gruffest, manliest voice, since up until a year ago I never would have even considered a breed with such a foo-foo reputation. But looking at the characteristics for the standard and moyen they check all the right boxes - low to no shedding, very smart - supposedly only border collies are smarter, athletic, sociable, low potential for barking or drooling. Since they were bred as hunting dogs they still have a good prey drive but aren't prone to running off.

There are usually a few standards romping around at the park I walk through daily and with their natural coat, i.e. not those silly pompadours, they are very well developed and good looking animals.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Look at a moyen (medium) poodle, they are around 15-25 pounds at maturity.

That's said in my gruffest, manliest voice, since up until a year ago I never would have even considered a breed with such a foo-foo reputation. But looking at the characteristics for the standard and moyen they check all the right boxes - low to no shedding, very smart - supposedly only border collies are smarter, athletic, sociable, low potential for barking or drooling. Since they were bred as hunting dogs they still have a good prey drive but aren't prone to running off.

There are usually a few standards romping around at the park I walk through daily and with their natural coat, i.e. not those silly pompadours, they are very well developed and good looking animals.
Thanks - I will check them out.
Jack and Rock think they are lap dogs .

[Linked Image]
Any of the herding dogs,border collies Aussi shepards,etc will be extremely hyper. Watch any agility trails and you will see them.The half dozen around here seem to be barkers too. They are bred to work and need a job.The heelers don't seem to be as hyper,but they also need job or get into mischief.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Any of the herding dogs,border collies Aussi shepards,etc will be extremely hyper. Watch any agility trails and you will see them.The half dozen around here seem to be barkers too. They are bred to work and need a job.The heelers don't seem to be as hyper,but they also need job or get into mischief.
That's what I've witnessed too.
I'm getting ready to retire - I don't need a dog that "needs a job".😄
I like the little terriers especially JRTs … my last was a barker, but I halfway blame myself for encouraging him to “git em”…his momma and brother are the type dog you’re looking for.
Another breed to consider might be the Brittany Spaniel. They go about 40 lbs full grown for the ladies. We had one when I was a kid-superb upland bird dog, as long as she was run a 10k or so before grouse were on the menu. My experience is that if you're willing to be a despot with them, they are well behaved canines.
As an avid upland hunter that runs shorthairs, I recommend a Corgi.
Lol
My girlfriend came with one and honestly, that Corgi is the only small dog I have ever liked.
Quiet, driven, hilariously proportioned. Fetching machine, actually smiles all the time.
Also, easy to exercise. Legs are 4” long. Yet can keep up on a bike ride.
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
I like the little terriers especially JRTs … my last was a barker, but I halfway blame myself for encouraging him to “git em”…his momma and brother are the type dog you’re looking for.

JRT's are tough critters.

JRT's are great dogs, but maybe a bit more intense than what the OP is looking for. Still, they're hard to beat.
I'm looking for a new pup/dog for a family pet and also for me to take to the farm rambling about, hunting, and riding the ATV. I would love it if there was such a thing as a beagle-sized <SNIP> dog that is small enough to physically handle to get in in and out of the truck and the ATV. My dad has a miniature schnauzer that fits the bill, <SNIP> A rat terrier would likely work, <SNIP> I don't mind if they give one or two barks of alert when someone comes to the door, but when they won't let up it drives me crazy. Any suggestions?

I didn't read all of the responses, so apologies if the following breed has already been mentioned. But have you thought of a TECKEL or Wire Haired Dachshund as they are known in different parts of the world outside of Germany? The few I've been around are smart, tough, super determined, and highly trainable hunters that love (live) to retrieve and swim like mini-Labs. At 10-15 lbs they're not heavy but they 'punch way above' their weight!
Originally Posted by bowmanh
JRT's are great dogs, but maybe a bit more intense than what the OP is looking for. Still, they're hard to beat.
I haven’t found them to be too intense unless they think it’s what you want them to be… very smart little dogs…and easily trained… I think the OP would love one…
When “Tuffy” was born, I had the whelping box next to my bed…when the pups got to where they were crawling out, I built a pallet pen with chicken wire and put it in the living room…every morning when I got up at 4 a.m. to go to work, the little bastard would be standing with his front paws on the fence while the rest of the pups were in a pile sleeping… I’d pick him up and take him outside…I had him potty trained before he was 8 weeks old…never messed in the house… never chewed anything up and never got in the garbage…
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
I'm looking for a new pup/dog for a family pet and also for me to take to the farm rambling about, hunting, and riding the ATV. I would love it if there was such a thing as a beagle-sized <SNIP> dog that is small enough to physically handle to get in in and out of the truck and the ATV. My dad has a miniature schnauzer that fits the bill, <SNIP> A rat terrier would likely work, <SNIP> I don't mind if they give one or two barks of alert when someone comes to the door, but when they won't let up it drives me crazy. Any suggestions?

I didn't read all of the responses, so apologies if the following breed has already been mentioned. But have you thought of a TECKEL or Wire Haired Dachshund as they are known in different parts of the world outside of Germany? The few I've been around are smart, tough, super determined, and highly trainable hunters that love (live) to retrieve and swim like mini-Labs. At 10-15 lbs they're not heavy but they 'punch way above' their weight!
Yes, a teckel is on my list. There's a fellow here in N.C. that has one he uses to track wounded deer. "Low to Ground Deer Recovery" on Youtube.
Find an older dog that needs a home, piss and vinegar is out of their system
© 24hourcampfire