Home
I had a full right knee done on the 16th - so roughly a week and half ago.
Surgery itself was a cake walk and they had me on my walker going down the hall and over a small set of stairs before same day discharge….

Pain management is going well and there’s been no complications of any kind as yet… but I’m incredibly tight with minimal range of motion. I have PT three times a week and “home work” stretching that I do in between.

So that’s where I’m at…. How did yours go and any advice.
BT53
I'm right behind you blacktail. Not done yet but thinking hard on it. Which doctor if you don't mind me asking?
Yup. Had a partial replacement in spring of 2021, and was humping the hills of Idaho in October of the same year. Felt like a new man.

I have some arthritis as a result of the surgery for sure, but got 99 percent of my function back and packed an entire bull out on my back last season…plus half of my sons. I’m 50 fwtw.

Dave
Both of my knee replacements went great.
I highly recommend them for those in good enough health to have the operation and buckle down on the required post-op therapy.
Originally Posted by iddave
Yup. Had a partial replacement in spring of 2021, and was humping the hills of Idaho in October of the same year. Felt like a new man.

I have some arthritis as a result of the surgery for sure, but got 99 percent of my function back and packed an entire bull out on my back last season…plus half of my sons. I’m 50 fwtw.

Dave

Good deal. Much pain with the sx?
Had one done, it is much better than before.

Take the followup seriously and work through the pain. I know of one person who blew the PT off, and he cant tie his shoes or walk up stairs.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'm right behind you blacktail. Not done yet but thinking hard on it. Which doctor if you don't mind me asking?

Dr Yaser Metwally
He’s in Medford, but has offices in CP and GP as well.
Surgery actually takes place at the GP Surgery Center.
Very professional and personal. Everyone I’ve met Thad used him has been impressed.
After 4 prior surgeries, had both done in 2017, and they're great now. PT is tough, and painful, but bust your asss through it and you'll be good to go. Took a couple of months to get most of my range of motion back, and full recovered after about 8 months. It can take up to a year though they say. Nevertheless you'll never get back to full range of motion that natural knee joints gave you.
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Had one done, it is much better than before.

Take the followup seriously and work through the pain. I know of one person who blew the PT off, and he cant tie his shoes or walk up stairs.

That’s what I’ve been hearing.
I’m doing repetitive pt and the icing.
For what it’s worth - I’ll be 70 in February and don’t plan on becoming a couch potato… I want to get back to as close to 100% as I can.

As it is now - the pain I had from bone on bone is gone completely and what I’m dealing with now is the swelling and stiffness that I’m trying to rehab.
That's normal Blacktail. I iced mine a lot, a whole lot. I also weaned myself off of Narco's after about 7 days because they worked great but I really liked them, if you know what I mean. Put down the walker after 7 days, used a cane for about 7, then just walked as much as possible. You'll get there one day at a time.
I have two neighbors man & wife that both had knee replacement surgery In September. They blow of most pt appointments, do nothing but sit on the couch at home and they are both still on their walkers complaining that the Doctors fûcked their knees up!

There's just no helping someone that doesn't want to help themselves.
Have an Aunt that had both of her knees replaced. She followed all the Dr orders and it went well for her. Was 2 years ago and she says she is about 95% at 72 yrs old.
Had the left knee replaced two years ago.
Very satisfied with the results.
Just do the PT, both at the rehab center and at home, and try not to kneel, even after it's healed.
my wife had both knees replaced same day 6 hours after the surgery they had her up walking ,3 weeks after the surgeries she was doing excellent ,now 2 years later she is better than she has been for 20 some years.
I'm lined up for a cleanup scope on a torn meniscus, that's simple compared to a replacement.

I'm Praying for any having the surgery.
I had TKR in 2008. It has gone well. DO THE THERAPY!

Get a bicycle. If inconvenient to ride on the road, get a stationary bike. Get a compression stocking.
Pete: Your wife, both knees, on the same day? I would never do that, I would space 'em 10 months apart. So much pain.

Your wife is a badass.
Ricky Bin had a double.

My surgeon won’t do that. I had mine done 3 months apart. 5 years since then and they are great.

OP- you seem to be tracking correctly. Keep doing what your PT says. When they let you, get on a bike(sans spandex). Best knee/quad therapy, IMO&E.
Had my right one totally replaced in 17, much better now. Only complaints are that it seems to itch quite often and gets cold easily. It also hurts like heck if I kneel or if I bang it into something.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'm lined up for a cleanup scope on a torn meniscus, that's simple compared to a replacement.

I'm Praying for any having the surgery.
Just went through that in July. Ended up removing 80% of my left meniscus. My advice is to sleep with a pillow under your knee's for the first week or so after surgery and ice, ice, ice. Also, to help work the swelling, when laying on your back, lift your leg up and try to bend it just a little more each day. I was up hobbling around immediately and walked outside a little more each day. I would say I'm at 85% now. Still building up the strength I lost. The great VA never referred me to physical therapy so it was all on me.
With removing that much meniscus I am still looking at knee replacement surgery In the future. They said I was too young for knee replacement being only 52 because knee replacement is only good for 15-20yrs I'm told.
I had a Ostioid ostioma ain’t spelled right but big grape size non cancer tumor on the back of my knee in the bone.I was layed up about a month after surgery and pain persisted for a year after I was eating Aleve. Went back to the ortho he said they seen my meniscus was tore during initial surgery for the tumor. I called BS and that pain went away shortly after.
Nope, can't help you@
BUT.....left hip is prosthetic.
Right shoulder is prosthetic.
Right ankle is pinned in place.

McBride Orthopedic Hospital - Edmond, Oklahoma* if you happen to be in the area!
Great doctors! Great facility!

* - north side of OKC
One brother had both replaced.
Another brother, one replaced.
Pain was a bitch for a while.
Both said they’re really glad they did it.
Looking at having it done after the first of the year. Left Knee, bone on bone, wearing a brace for the past 6 months, but even that hasn't stopped the pain.
Glad to hear all the successes, sort of looking forward to the operation, first operation I've ever had since they took out my tonsils when I was 7, am 78 now.
Haven't had one personally, but plenty of friends and family that have. I have been in the operating room watching one being done December 2019, part of my job - if anyone wants to know the details. Just be glad you are asleep, short answer.
Mom had one done, the other scheduled 6 months later.
She did the PT, and is a compulsive worker. She didn't baby it.
But full recovery took over a year.

Didn't have the second done, wouldn't consider it.

It was a couple years untill she realized the replacement was good and
he knees hurt bad. So she had the second done.

It went real well.
Less discomfort, quicker healing, full use came quicker.
Getting lots of good advice, thanks!

I’ll set on the PT as hard as I can. They have a stationary bike and when I’m ready for it, I might just swing one into the house.

At 70 years of age, I’ve noticed my having to self check on how aggressively I could chase deer and especially elk….

I scheduled surgery for after the season and was able to fill both tags in time - so PT and as much recovery as possible by summer.
Had both knees replaced in 2017 at age 57. Right knee in January,
Left knee in March. Best medical decision I ever made. I’m in the best shape I’ve been in for a long time. Down to 225 pounds. Imcan do anything except run (I hate running anyway). I do 30 minutes 3-4 times a week on the elliptical machine. This helps with strength and range of motion.

Ron
Originally Posted by cotis
Haven't had one personally, but plenty of friends and family that have. I have been in the operating room watching one being done December 2019, part of my job - if anyone wants to know the details. Just be glad you are asleep, short answer.

Cotis,

I refused to research or watch the videos on how the operation takes place. It wouldn’t do me any good to ramp up the anxiety. It needed to be fixed and that really is the bottom line.

The actual surgery took about an hour and a half.
They made me very comfortable before and after - and it was a very pleasant nap. I knew going that the surgery was the easy part and the recovery is on me and that’s exactly how it’s been going.
Originally Posted by jbmi
Looking at having it done after the first of the year. Left Knee, bone on bone, wearing a brace for the past 6 months, but even that hasn't stopped the pain.
Glad to hear all the successes, sort of looking forward to the operation, first operation I've ever had since they took out my tonsils when I was 7, am 78 now.

Single word of advice! Listen to your physical therapist like he (she?) is God. Do everything they tell you...even when it hurts like hell!
Knee replacement is about the toughest PT of all joint replacements. I've spent my share of time cursing a physical therapist! Thought the s.o.b. that worked my shoulder hated me! LOL! He did one HELL of a job rehabbing my right shoulder! 😉
Two of the best day's work I ever did.
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
I had a full right knee done on the 16th - so roughly a week and half ago.
Surgery itself was a cake walk and they had me on my walker going down the hall and over a small set of stairs before same day discharge….

Pain management is going well and there’s been no complications of any kind as yet… but I’m incredibly tight with minimal range of motion. I have PT three times a week and “home work” stretching that I do in between.

So that’s where I’m at…. How did yours go and any advice.
BT53
Last one was the year I shot the elk in my avatar, in on the 27th of July, was on a mountain in Montana the 2nd week of October. I had paid for the hunt already so I was motivated. Learned from the first one, was in good shape prior to the surgery which really helped. I was done with rehab in a month.

Ice is your friend, I got a set up so I could run my ice machine driving to the jobs. First week sucks regardless, but it is worth it in the end.
Originally Posted by dale06
One brother had both replaced.
Another brother, one replaced.
Pain was a bitch for a while.
Both said they’re really glad they did it.
Nobody that has a TKA ever says they wish they waited longer!
Almost 2 years ago my wife had a torn meniscus repaired. She still can't kneel on it.
Sage advice here, with a common thread of DO THE PT RELIGIOUSLY.
I had TKR on my left a little over a year ago. It went pretty well.
I had my right replaced 6 months ago. That was complicated by the fact that literally about 3 minutes of coming home, I managed to fall on the fresh knee. Pain so intense I literally threw up. That fall landed me in a rehab facility for two weeks. First night there I fell again, directly on the knee again. [bleep] me runnin' that pain will make a believer out of you. Complicated the recovery mostly by slowing me down. Getting a little better every day, "little" being the operative word.
FWIW the Docs told me I had the worst knees they had ever seen.
The procedure has been described to me as brutal and Medieval. I know theres a hammer involved, possibly sledge for all I know.
My main motivation was wanting to eliminate the arthritis in both knees. A flare up would literally keep me in bed for a couple days.
I am glad I had it done.
I injured my right knee a year ago and subsequently developed a Baker’s cyst behind the knee. It fills with fluid and even drains down into the calf, swelling, aching severely, and really limiting range of motion. I’ve had it drained twice now, and might be doing it again shortly. The cyst is the knee’s reaction to the injury, trying to produce a lot of fluid as a cushion. I may be looking at a TKR soon.

As an anesthetist, Ive probably given anesthesia for hundreds of these. I combined a femoral nerve block with a general anesthetic. The block probably cut immediate post op pain by 60-70% and worked well. Most anesth depts. won’t offer them as it takes some time before surgery, and placing the block correctly is one of those that a lot cannot do well.

Good luck.
Not for the squeamish

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/treatment/total-knee-replacement-surgical-video/
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
Sage advice here, with a common thread of DO THE PT RELIGIOUSLY.
I had TKR on my left a little over a year ago. It went pretty well.
I had my right replaced 6 months ago. That was complicated by the fact that literally about 3 minutes of coming home, I managed to fall on the fresh knee. Pain so intense I literally threw up. That fall landed me in a rehab facility for two weeks. First night there I fell again, directly on the knee again. [bleep] me runnin' that pain will make a believer out of you. Complicated the recovery mostly by slowing me down. Getting a little better every day, "little" being the operative word.
FWIW the Docs told me I had the worst knees they had ever seen.
The procedure has been described to me as brutal and Medieval. I know theres a hammer involved, possibly sledge for all I know.
My main motivation was wanting to eliminate the arthritis in both knees. A flare up would literally keep me in bed for a couple days.
I am glad I had it done.

Most ortho procedures involve saws, hammers, screws, rods, and tourniquets, all with the attendant pounding, and sawing, and noise — The carpenters of the OR.

Notice the mostly bloodless field. It because there is a large tourniquet placed on the thigh and it’s pressure is increased significantly over the patients blood pressure to hold perfusion to the leg to almost nothing. However, a lot of patients have thigh pain afterwards as I believe there is some degree of a mechanical crush injury of those soft tissues. No blood to the leg is a reason they try to get these done in an hour to an hour and a half.
A powered recliner is a big help.When you even think you have to go to the bathroom head that way.A high commode or riser is helpful the first two or three weeks are the worst.Had mine done July 12 still just a little sore the most uncomfortable thing is getting down on my knees I’ve had people tell me that have had it done years ago that it still uncomfortable.The pain on the back of my leg up to my butt was as bad as any at my knee it was black and blue and sore for weeks
Originally Posted by ironbender
Ricky Bin had a double.

My surgeon won’t do that. I had mine done 3 months apart. 5 years since then and they are great.

OP- you seem to be tracking correctly. Keep doing what your PT says. When they let you, get on a bike(sans spandex). Best knee/quad therapy, IMO&E.
But spandex can help keep the stick and stones in place, or so they say. grin

My Hanes boxer briefs worked well enough.

OP. Work as hard as the PT person tells you, then do a little more movement at home. If you're still taking the pain meds, take one 20 mins or so ahead of the PT appointment. Don't take it easy or you'll end up like a coworker did, having to go under while the surgeon broke up scar tissue.

I worked as hard as I could and had both the PT person and Doc (Luke Hosack in K Falls) told me I was doing better than 95% of their patients and I was at the physical limit of the device for range of motion. 3 years later I have some pain from arthritis around the knee cap, but I'm not wearing a brace and taking big doses of Advil just to get around during the day.

Best of luck with your continued recovery.
PT is the key to a successful outcome, do exactly as instructed no more no less. I had both hips replaced the same day, the wife has had one hip and one knee. She has the second knee scheduled for a week from now, only had a day or two post surgery where the pain was bad. In addition to doing PT she goes to the gym 3-4 times a week and rides the recumbent bike to help with flexibility and range of motion.
Tore my knee up at age 17. Got it replaced in 2018. Same scenario as you. I was pretty mobile at about 4 weeks. Took 18 months to be able to climb stairs without deliberate thought. So glad i “got ‘er done.”
Both knees replaced ,8 years ago,all good now .The P.T. was a little rough at the time,but they are fine now.
Give physical therapy all you got. It’ll hurt, but you’ll be glad you did.
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
I injured my right knee a year ago and subsequently developed a Baker’s cyst behind the knee. It fills with fluid and even drains down into the calf, swelling, aching severely, and really limiting range of motion. I’ve had it drained twice now, and might be doing it again shortly. The cyst is the knee’s reaction to the injury, trying to produce a lot of fluid as a cushion. I may be looking at a TKR soon.

As an anesthetist, Ive probably given anesthesia for hundreds of these. I combined a femoral nerve block with a general anesthetic. The block probably cut immediate post op pain by 60-70% and worked well. Most anesth depts. won’t offer them as it takes some time before surgery, and placing the block correctly is one of those that a lot cannot do well.

Good luck.
Second one I had a spinal, no general anesthesia, much better results. No sore throat from being intubated, no having to come out of the fog. Southern Joint Replacement Center in Nashville gives you the option, best choice I think.
Yes, that will work very well too. It’s the “skinning the cat” thing. 😉
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Almost 2 years ago my wife had a torn meniscus repaired. She still can't kneel on it.
It took me a little over a year to heal up from a surgery like that.

I've had 3 surgeries on my right knee. I hope they have finally gotten it right.
One must do the rehab.
I have had both knees done a year apart. My doctor had me start exercises about six weeks before surgery to make sure all muscles were strong. Went home about 9 hours after surgery. Did not even need to use a walker. Was driving in a week. I had full range of motion in 2 weeks. Use lots of ice, do the PT and a lot of walking and exercise at home. I was back to normal in about 8 weeks. I am one of the lucky ones who can get down on my knees to work if I have to, just can’t stay down too long.
Tibial Plateau Fracture May of 2016 . Been having some discomfort for the last year. Saw the knee doc and a cat scan shows that the repair fell short of the goal. So the doc says when I'm ready he's ready, different doc by the way. 69 in a couple months and expect next fall is when I'll go for it. During the cooler months so I can rehab out of doors as much as possible.
Originally Posted by sidepass
Tibial Plateau Fracture May of 2016 . Been having some discomfort for the last year. Saw the knee doc and a cat scan shows that the repair fell short of the goal. So the doc says when I'm ready he's ready, different doc by the way. 69 in a couple months and expect next fall is when I'll go for it. During the cooler months so I can rehab out of doors as much as possible.

I hear there are some good Doctors around Napa that do knee replacements.

Wishing you all the best.
Thanks for the mostly positive responses!

This is what I was hoping to find and I’m sure it’s helped others riding in the same boat.
Thank you for the doctors name blacktail, I'm going to followup with that. I really appreciate the referral here in our area.
Did a very unexpected knee repair at 38 courtesy of a sort of serious motorcycle accident (shattered femur, knee bones were about mid thigh). Physical rehab is your best friend in the @#%^%$# world. Do it with the sort of grim determination it requires to deal with the IRS after a trip to the DMV. It will truly suck extremely heavy, very poorly cleaned @$$ at first. Music and narcotics are your friends in this regard. Frank Zappa's "Hot Rats" and Vicodin are about right for early day sessions. Once things loosen up, all the guys telling you bikes are your friend are right.

Cotis,

I refused to research or watch the videos on how the operation takes place. It wouldn’t do me any good to ramp up the anxiety. It needed to be fixed and that really is the bottom line.

They made me very comfortable before and after - and it was a very pleasant nap. I knew going that the surgery was the easy part and the recovery is on me and that’s exactly how it’s been going.

Not watching videos is probably for the best if you don't know the details of what and why they are doing what they do. It has been said here several times and is 100% correct, DO THE PT PROPERLY AND AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!! It is the single biggest factor you can control in obtaining a successful outcome.

For those considering having a procedure like this done, do your research on the doctor and the hardware to be used. A TKA (proper name - total knee arthroplasty) can be done several ways - old school by using guide blocks to create the cuts that the new implant attaches to, PSI - patient specific implants where a custom block is 3D printed based on CT scans ad doctor's preferences for angles, etc., computer navigation where the cuts or burring tool is controlled / directed via CT scans to which the metal implant is then attached to. Then there is cemented vs. cementless implants, different finishes to the implants that have different wear resistance, ligament sparing vs. ligament replacement style implants, blah blah blah. There is no "this is better than that...", much of it is surgeon preference, some is cost vs. what insurance will cover, some is availability in your area or particular hospital. A good doctor with a mediocre old-school implant is more successful than a newbie with the latest and greatest. Just my opinion, but it is an informed one.
Thanks for the mostly positive responses!

This is what I was hoping to find and I’m sure it’s helped others riding in the same boat.

I should have had it done this past fall… but life got in the way.
Got injected with “gel one” on July 6 and it’s still working but I can tell I’ll need another shortly… gonna go back to the surgeon next month and have a discussion about it… the hips are burning out quick and he doesn’t know they’re bad too… he looked at the knee on a V.A. referral.

Cotis,

Not watching videos is probably for the best if you don't know the details of what and why they are doing what they do. It has been said here several times and is 100% correct, DO THE PT PROPERLY AND AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!! It is the single biggest factor you can control in obtaining a successful outcome.

For those considering having a procedure like this done, do your research on the doctor and the hardware to be used. A TKA (proper name - total knee arthroplasty) can be done several ways - old school by using guide blocks to create the cuts that the new implant attaches to, PSI - patient specific implants where a custom block is 3D printed based on CT scans ad doctor's preferences for angles, etc., computer navigation where the cuts or burring tool is controlled / directed via CT scans to which the metal implant is then attached to. Then there is cemented vs. cementless implants, different finishes to the implants that have different wear resistance, ligament sparing vs. ligament replacement style implants, blah blah blah. There is no "this is better than that...", much of it is surgeon preference, some is cost vs. what insurance will cover, some is availability in your area or particular hospital. A good doctor with a mediocre old-school implant is more successful than a newbie with the latest and greatest. Just my opinion, but it is an informed one.

@ Cotis
When they replaced my right shoulder, I was "black & blue" from the base of my neck to my elbow! 🤯
Think they used a winch truck and a jackhammer!
The black and blue disappeared in time.
The "pain" disappeared immediately upon regaining consciousness!
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah

Your right not for the squeamish. Quite a beating goes into the repair of that joint.
I had both knees done ten weeks apart. about 10 weeks post op on the second one, and it still gives me some pain compared to the first surgery. Have been told that no two replacement surgeries are the same.......
My specialist told me Tuesday before last Christmas I need two new knees. I have had bilateral high tibial osteotomies off him so respect his judgement and ability. I had hoped to have them done earlier this year.

Tuesday after Christmas I broke my back and had ten weeks off work, so put it off, thought I could do in November but caught Covid again end of September and they won’t operate within ten weeks of having it.

So next year it is.

Some good advice here.
© 24hourcampfire