Home
Posted By: steve4102 How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Mine got a thumbs down from me, others thought it was good, but not great.

I usually deep fry mine in a Masterbuilt electric Turkey fryer. This year I didn’t want to deal with the oil and decided to spatchcock it, dry brine it and cook it on the pellet smoker.

It was moist and juicy, but the smoke just didn’t do it for me. Maybe it was my choice of wood, Duno. What I do know is that I won’t smoke another one on the pellet grill.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: steve4102 Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Then I got to thinking about these Char-Broil oil-less fryers.

Bought one yesterday.

Cooked a whole chicken this morning, 1 hour and 10 minutes

Crispy skin, real moist and juicy. Gunna try a Turkey and a prime rib next.

I think I like this thing.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Used a cooking bag as always. 325 until the button pops, then just a bit more. Tender and juicy.

Used to try and buy fresh ones, but this free frozen one turned out just excellent.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Used a cooking bag as always. 325 until the button pops, then just a bit more. Tender and juicy.

Used to try and buy fresh ones, but this free frozen one turned out just excellent.
My wife used to do that, after I busted her countertop roaster I do em outside as there is no room in her oven with all the other shcit she has going.

Maybe I’ll buy another one of those as well.
Posted By: chris_c Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Did mine in the pellet grill. Covered in butter-soaked cheese clothe until the last half hour, then pulled the cloth and finished in the oven
Posted By: trplem Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Thanksgiving turkey is still hind teat when it comes to domesticated meats. the order is cow, swine barely back, chicken a bit above tofu, and then turkey. Gimmee some serious bread, Duke's mayo, Stoneridge 5 year old chedder, and real butter plus T-giving turkey grilled up in iron and gottdammn that's good eatin'!
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Originally Posted by chris_c
Did mine in the pellet grill. Covered in butter-soaked cheese clothe until the last half hour, then pulled the cloth and finished in the oven
Ate the cloth?
Posted By: Morewood Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Originally Posted by steve4102
Then I got to thinking about these Char-Broil oil-less fryers.

Bought one yesterday.

My brother bought one of those a few years ago. Turkey turns out so good the turkey fryer is retired.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Originally Posted by Pappy348

My wife used to do that, after I busted her countertop roaster I do em outside as there is no room in her oven with all the other shcit she has going.

Maybe I’ll buy another one of those as well.

When the turkey is done, I leave it in the bag while the dressing and GBC cook, and put the potatoes on to boil. I mash them and leave them covered in the pot while I do the gravy. Last step is to carve enough bird for that first serving. Everything came together again, no reheating needed.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
my son in law has taken over the turkey cooking. He fried one, and smoked the second on his Big Green Egg. Both were outstanding. My daughter hosts the feast now, and all I have to do is show up with a side dish (my signature yellow Squash casserole) and a dessert. (just the best tasting Pecan Pie known to man).
I also brought a gallon of my salted, honey roasted mixed nuts. Pecan and Walnut halves, with Whole Cashews.
Posted By: DaveR Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Ours turned out to be the best we'd ever done.

We had over 15 people over, so brother and I had a turkey cook off. His in deep fryer, ours in Traeger.

I did a 20 hour brine in the Meat Church "Bird Baptism" brine.

Pulled it an hour and a half prior to cooking.

Stuffed breast with 1/2 lb butter, rosemary, thyme, sage, minced garlic and softened butter mixture.

Threw in a chopped up bulb of garlic, more rosemary, thyme and sage into the cavity.

Rubbed outside down with olive oil, and put on a good dose of garlic paprika dry rub.

Onto the Traeger at 300* for 3.5 hours, with a smoke tube added for more smoke.

Sprayed turkey down with apple juice every 30 minutes of cook time.

Pulled it when breast was at 160*, and thigh was 175*, and let it rest for 1/2 hour.

Came out amazing. The smoked turkey was the clear winner. Incredibly juicy, tender, and just tasty as hell.

Will never do it any other way after how this one turned out. I'm not a turkey fan, but I could not get enough of it.
Posted By: Teal Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Posted By: hanco Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
It was good, smoked it on pit with mesquite
Originally Posted by DaveR

We had over 15 people over, so brother and I had a turkey cook off. His in deep fryer, ours in Traeger.

Stuffed breast with 1/2 lb butter, rosemary, thyme, sage, minced garlic and softened butter mixture.

Threw in a chopped up bulb of garlic, more rosemary, thyme and sage into the cavity.

Rubbed outside down with olive oil, and put on a good dose of garlic paprika dry rub.

Pulled it when breast was at 160*, and thigh was 175*, and let it rest for 1/2 hour.

Came out amazing. The smoked turkey was the clear winner. Incredibly juicy, tender, and just tasty as hell.

Will never do it any other way after how this one turned out. I'm not a turkey fan, but I could not get enough of it.

What did you use for pellets?
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
I feel sorry for those who have never had a properly cooked turkey
Posted By: funshooter Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Ours turned out to be a dried out ham that was like shoe leather.
My girl left it in the oven until her 40ish boy showed up an hour late.

It is good for soup and Bean meat now.

Do not care for Turkey much.
Rather have a Good Oven Baked Chicken

I have had 2 Deep Fried Turkeys and the best part of them was the skin.
They are the Best Turkeys that I have ever eaten.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
I got about 1/2 way thru the first plate and got that nausea feeling.Swallowing like hell sweat beads feeling I know it won’t the turkey wifey cooked that.My mom on the other hand cooks [bleep] from boxes way beyond there expire date I’m sure it was that🤢
I bought a Butterball turkey breast roast. Pretty easy to get them right. You just have to start checking the internal temperature about a half hour before you estimate it will take to oven roast it. In fact, I just finished off the last of it by making a turkey salad sandwich for lunch.
Ours was great. She brined it for 24 hours then roasted in convection oven. Very moist, tender and flavorful
Posted By: Salmonella Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
The wife asked me to bring home the biggest Tom I could find. 🤣

Posted By: rockinbbar Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Originally Posted by Salmonella
The wife asked me to bring home the biggest Tom I could find. 🤣

laugh

Premium Cookin' Pellets, "Perfect Mix" blend of Hickory, cherry, Maple, Apple.

These

https://www.amazon.com/CookinPellets-40PM-Perfect-Mix/dp/B00819OICI?th=1
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Brined overnight, then 1/2 hr smoke at 180º, then 3 hrs at 300º. It was great. Straight low and slow doesn't work well for birds.
No turkey here.
Grilled prime Rib Eye steaks.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Opted to smoke it this year. This was the first time smoking with a Weber kettle grill. Normally I smoke in a vertical smoker, but the fire pan has rusted out and need to replace it.

Did indirect heat using oak and had to rotate periodically for even cooking. Came out great. 14.75 lb turkey, brined 24 hours, injected and rubbed with melted butter and seasonings.
Posted By: chris_c Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by chris_c
Ate the cloth?

Could have, had enough butter
Posted By: skeen Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
How Was Your Turkey

Ours was delicious - moist and perfectly cooked.

To be fair though, we didn't cook anything.

My wife had the turkey prepared by Fareway Meat Market and the sides ready catered from The Capital Grille. blush laugh
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Anybody pull on the turkeys neck?

These

https://www.amazon.com/CookinPellets-40PM-Perfect-Mix/dp/B00819OICI?th=1

Those are the ones. I've gone to those for all of my pellet smoking now.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Smoked this year’s bird, along with a pork butt. Gotta wet brine a bird to keep them moist. I make my own brine mix with a gallon of ice water, 1 cup salt, one cup sugar some squeezed citrus. Lime in my case. A handful of basil and a bit of thyme. Usually have to 2X this to have enough to be able to fully immerse the turkey for 24 hrs. I smoke it in my Masterbuilt smoker on 275 for about three hours. Bag it up and finish it in the oven til done.

Pork butt is rubbed down with a medium dusting of Morton Tenderquick. And then use the rub of your choice 24 hrs before hitting the smoker. I run it on 275 for about six hrs, spraying it with apple juice every couple of hrs when I add more chips. I then pull it and wrap in tin foil and back in until it reaches 200* internal temp. Slice it into 2” cubes and shred.

I also like deep fried turkey but haven’t done one in a few years. By the time I buy peanut oil for a 1x a year exercise, the mess, it’s just easier to smoke them.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
Pregnant turkey... laugh

Posted By: Leanwolf Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/27/22
No turkey. Prime rib roast, twice baked potatoes, asparagus, rolls, pecan pie and ice cream, and a very good Pinot Noir.

Brought a big plate home from my friends and feasted again Friday night. grin

L.W.
Got one of those precooked ones from Popeyes

Heat it up and good to go

Way more gooder than fugking around cooking one
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Pregnant turkey... laugh

Even setting aside the fact that they lay eggs, it was a baby turkey without a head or feet. LOL.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/28/22
My sister-in-law cooked one in the oven the traditional way and it turned out great. One if the best oven cooked turkeys I have ever had.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
My sister-in-law cooked one in the oven the traditional way and it turned out great. One if the best oven cooked turkeys I have ever had.

People are starting to get ahold of this idea of "internal temp".

Fewer overcooked birds I think.
Posted By: deflave Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
No turkey here.
Grilled prime Rib Eye steaks.

And three shots of dumb fugk?

LOL
I’d not expect anybody from Minnesota to know how to cook anything.

Generally.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/28/22
not turkey, Cornish hens.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/28/22
I order one every Thanksgiving from Greenberg Turkeys out of Texas. Been doing this for over 30 years. Outstanding bird, the entire family expects one along with a quality ham.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by deflave
I’d not expect anybody from Minnesota to know how to cook anything.

Generally.
Ah, but you haven’t lived until you have a plate full of Lutefisk.

All that slimy, fishy, mushy, cod soaked in lye, now that’s MN cookin.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I order one every Thanksgiving from Greenberg Turkeys out of Texas. Been doing this for over 30 years. Outstanding bird, the entire family expects one along with a quality ham.
Is this fresh or already cooked?
Posted By: earlybrd Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I got about 1/2 way thru the first plate and got that nausea feeling.Swallowing like hell sweat beads feeling I know it won’t the turkey wifey cooked that.My mom on the other hand cooks [bleep] from boxes way beyond there expire date I’m sure it was that🤢

Had the “Tennessee trots” yesterday all is normal now
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/28/22
Ours was disappointing, even the dark meat was dry. Whatever was left went into the soup pot yesterday and will be served for dinner tonight.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Ours was disappointing, even the dark meat was dry. Whatever was left went into the soup pot yesterday and will be served for dinner tonight.

Bummer. Brining really helps make them juicy.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/28/22
Steve, they are smoked.
Originally Posted by hotsoup

THIRTY YEARS????

Nebraska…

LOL
Posted By: BKinSD Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/28/22
Butterball in a roasting bag...turned out fantastic. Might be best one yet frankly.
Posted By: BubbaG Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/28/22
Mine turned out great. I deep fry 3 to 4 turkeys every thanksgiving. I make kind of a spicy cajun marinade to inject them with. Its louisiana hot sauce, vegetable oil, and cajun spices.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

Bummer. Brining really helps make them juicy.

Agreed, my Wife usually brines them in spices and buttermilk for a couple of days but chose not to this year and the turkey was dry and disappointing.

That said, the turkey noodle soup that has been simmering for better than 24 hours smells great and will go good with a Panera baguette and a glass of Winter Jack cider.
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: How Was Your Turkey - 11/29/22
One day in brine and five hours in the smoker using 90/10 cherry/hickory. Results were amazing!
© 24hourcampfire