Home
Posted By: jackmountain Simpler times - 11/28/22
Anybody else miss them? All this convenience is stressing me the fugk out. No cell phones, no texts, no emails, no internet…. I actually miss having only 2 TV channels right now.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
I miss knocking on Jeffery Dahmer’s door when I dropped a drive shaft at midnight.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Having grown up in simpler times I enjoy the freedom from electronic gizmos currently in vogue. I watch very little TV especially not TV news. Cell phone is used as a communications device, NOT as an electronic time waster. Same with the computor, it's a business tool no computor games nor frivolous texts/e-mails. The cell phone is not attached to my hand 24/7 !
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
WTF does Jeffrey Dahmer have to do with simpler times ?
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
That didn't take long
Posted By: GringoCazador Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by gunswizard

You miss spelled cell phone.
Posted By: EdM Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Since retiring nothing stresses me out. Nothing.
Well fu kktard

It all has to do with approaching a stranger’s residence to use their rotary phone in the dead of the night

Are you dulled to analogies ?

Or were you that little phaggot that never ever had a wreck, mechanical breakdown, stuck in a mud hole at WMA 30 miles from home?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Anybody else miss them? All this convenience is stressing me the fugk out. No cell phones, no texts, no emails, no internet…. I actually miss having only 2 TV channels right now.

Spent the day running the hills in the old Toyota. Wife and I cut some firewood, chased some grouse, 4x4'd in the mud, found a good knob to hunt a big blacktail next year, noticed all the things you never see in town. All the downed limbs from a recent snowstorm, deer tracks up high right after a snowmelt, big old firs probably 5-6' through at the stump. Got out next to a creek at the end of an overgrown two-track road and looked around at digging some vine maples up for the yard. Talked about the root systems connecting to the bigger trees and the best trees to find to dig being the singles off by themselves.

On and on.

That was a good day.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by EdM
I’m envious. Often wonder how long it will take after retiring to actually be able to relax and enjoy life again.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22

You could always simplify

We did away with regular tv in 2015. We do pay for some subscription stuff occasionally. Netflix for a while. Then change it up for a while.

Go back to a simple cell phone. Or if needed for work then only use it for it's work purpose then shut it off.

Take care of yourself.

Btw you kkgunt, you have had me on ignore for 2 years

Toggle much? Hide when it gets painful????

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
#gunswizzler
Originally Posted by EdM
I’m envious. Often wonder how long it will take after retiring to actually be able to relax and enjoy life again.

My wife new full well how I ran when I was working, fully spun. She was absolutely stunned how quickly that just fell off. I wish you well when the time comes for you.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by slumlord

I found it humorous that he preached about his phone being a communication device and not an electronic time waster, and how his computer is a business tool yet here he is on social media using one of those two devices....
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
I miss knocking on Jeffery Dahmer’s door when I dropped a drive shaft at midnight.

The Fire would be a different place without you, had you been wearing makeup and high heels when you knocked.

🦫
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I found it humorous that he preached about his phone being a communication device and not an electronic time waster, and his computer is a business tool yet here he is on social media using one of those two devices....

How the hell did you get out of my locked cellar?

🦫
Originally Posted by Beaver10

The Fire would be a different place without you, had you been wearing makeup and high heels when you knocked.

🦫

He only went for Indonesian boys
Recall simpler times when douchebags didn’t have LinkedIn

lol

🦫

A cannibal with simple tastes then.

🦫

🦫

Wait, what? You’re not Indonesian?!
JFC…

lol

Nice to meet you, gungizzard.

Lol

🦫
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
I miss the days of worrying about Russian nukes falling on my head.

We had one enemy, a somewhat sensible one.

Outside our borders.

🦫

Wait, what? You’re not Indonesian?!
JFC…

Not tonight, Jack. Tonight He’s trying for a straight European look...Trying.

Lol

🦫

Edit.

LMAO
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

We had one enemy, a somewhat sensible one

Outside our borders.

[img]
[/img]
Posted By: erikj Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22

Or hitchhiking. Got a couple stories about that actually, lol.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
yep the simpler times when the neighbor girls down the street i went to school with showed there hair down there to pet our horses and go for a ride.

When i realized the lady that bought me beer and let me use her hot tub for my dates was curious as well....
Posted By: Dess Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Don't like reading a book on my phone. Have a kindle, and it's ok. Really enjoy the look and feel of an actual book.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by Dess
Don't like reading a book on my phone. Have a kindle, and it's ok. Really enjoy the look and feel of an actual book.

Same. I still go the library regularly

Same
Originally Posted by rockchucker
yep the simpler times when the neighbor girls down the street i went to school with showed there hair down there to pet our horses and go for a ride.

When i realized the lady that bought me beer and let me use her hot tub for my dates was curious as well....
I’m sure there’s a therapist in your locale that could help.
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Woodward reserve double oaked is your friend
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Fug a celly phone….

I always enjoyed traveling with turn by turn Mapquest route printed out on the passengers seat.

😂😂
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I found it humorous that he preached about his phone being a communication device and not an electronic time waster, and his computer is a business tool yet here he is on social media using one of those two devices....

How the hell did you get out of my locked cellar?

🦫

Precious has grown tired of you and your whining, Bill. You never made him a lampshade.

He's with me now.

[Linked Image from slashfilm.com]
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Fug a celly phone….

I always enjoyed traveling with turn by turn Mapquest route printed out on the passengers seat.

😂😂

I still do that, way more often than using my phone.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Schitt,

i dont need a therapist supply and demand.

life is good. Still have a health relationship with all involved.
Originally Posted by rockchucker
Schitt,

i dont need a therapist supply and demand.

life is good. Still have a health relationship with all involved.

wink
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22

lol

JFC....
He looks like he got hit with a fish bat in a Jon boat..
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22

I went to the grocery store about 5pm, they play older music on low volume, Eddie Money , 'I wanna go back' . I thought of my younger brother who passed away three years ago, he had the album. We'd listen to it and drink beerNbooze with friends over. It sure was a much simpler [better] time, early 80's, President Reagan in office.

Posted By: OldHat Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Yes.
Phone booths existed for the fearsome.
I miss libraries with actual books too.
I miss paper maps. I miss not having every corner of the woods, mountains, lakes and streams mapped out and talked about on the internet.
Posted By: Phillip_Nesmith Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
I hated simpler times. Pay phones, couldn't call anybody until you got home unless you had a sack full of coins and half the time the phone was on the fritz or out in the weather or the phone book was missing, no remote controls, black & white tv with nothing on those 2 channels, cars that would splatter your brains across the dashboard in a crash and got ten miles per gallon and had to be tuned up every ten thousand miles, leaky boots and the only waterproof jackets were pvc plastic, local stores closed on weekends, had to mail a check somewhere and wait 6 weeks to order something, subscribe to a bunch of magazines for a few pages of articles instead of days worth of reading at your fingertips, or worn out thirty year old books at the library, go sit in a crowded theater to watch a movie, take hours to cook food instead of minutes, beat your brains out to try to keep the house warm enough then burn up in the summer, die from some disease that simple drugs take care of. Beans and potatoes every day. Holey crappy clothes. Simpler times sucked azz. I love now.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by OldHat

Not 30-50 miles from where you blew up a clutch or broke an axel

I realize your pansy ass always lived 2 blocks from a Minute Mart or pay phone. Considering you NEVER post pics of you hunting, fishing or participating in any outside activities

I can certainly understand your disconnect with the examples given.

You were likely an asthmatic kid that always stayed inside and played with dolls, puzzles and coloring books.
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
I hated simpler times. Pay phones, couldn't call anybody until you got home unless you had a sack full of coins and half the time the phone was on the fritz or out in the weather or the phone book was missing, no remote controls, black & white tv with nothing on those 2 channels, cars that would splatter your brains across the dashboard in a crash and got ten miles per gallon and had to be tuned up every ten thousand miles, leaky boots and the only waterproof jackets were pvc plastic, local stores closed on weekends, had to mail a check somewhere and wait 6 weeks to order something, subscribe to a bunch of magazines for a few pages of articles instead of days worth of reading at your fingertips, or worn out thirty year old books at the library, go sit in a crowded theater to watch a movie, take hours to cook food instead of minutes, beat your brains out to try to keep the house warm enough then burn up in the summer, die from some disease that simple drugs take care of. Beans and potatoes every day. Holey crappy clothes. Simpler times sucked azz. I love now.
Call collect.

Vegetables are not a modern invention.

The outdoors was and is much much better the more difficult it is to spend time in it. Joe Rogan and the endless yappy hunting shows were the worse thing possible for deer hunting. 10 grand worth of equipment does not make the hunting more enjoyable.

Not 30-50 miles from where you blew up a clutch or broke an axel

I realize your pansy ass always lived 2 blocks from a Minute Mart or pay phone. Considering you NEVER post pics of you hunting, fishing or participating in any outside activities

I can certainly understand your disconnect with the examples given.

You were likely an asthmatic kid that always stayed inside and played with dolls, puzzles and coloring books.
I don't think you have ever seen a phone booth. 30-50 miles from the nearest phone booth in TN. okay, sure.

God gave us legs especially for the fearsome.
Posted By: deflave Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Major thanks to all the dick heads that decided using their card (like a woman) was "easier."

Put us on the fast track to no cash.

Thanks a bunch.
Posted By: 79S Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22

I have you on ignore too... You are stressing out nugget with your rants..
Posted By: 79S Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by deflave
Major thanks to all the dick heads that decided using their card (like a woman) was "easier."

Thanks a bunch.

Well sorry we don't care a sock full of quarters everywhere with us. Hey! its paisanos!
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Goodwill and Honor...
Posted By: okie Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Simpler is good however I don’t miss milking cows….
And carry overwhelming firepower and skill...

Always remember... masks were just "Two Weeks to flatten the curve".

There is very real intent to control you... and enslave everything you are and rape everything you love.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
I don't miss 'em so much but I'm glad there was no social media or video games when I was growing up.
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22

Slum, you gotta keep your phone charged man!
Posted By: deflave Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by 79S

Thanks a bunch.

Well sorry we don't care a sock full of quarters everywhere with us. Hey! its paisanos!

I think the trend went into full swing around 2009 or so.

That’s when guys like Gruff paying for his cream soda and donut with a debit card.

“That’s $2.82, sir.”

“Ok here ya go. I’m a moron. Thanks.”
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Slum, you gotta keep your phone charged man!

LOL...

Damn Ben... Now you got the swing of things...

Don't ever be giving those Tennessee Mafia boys a ounce of rest...
Posted By: rainshot Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
The information age has many benefits and a lot of drawbacks. Our kids grow up not learning how to read and our schools have turned into propaganda ministries. Our judicial system has evolved into another political institution. Our government is essentially ran by criminals. All this knowledge at our fingertips and we still have our resident leftist warriors who simply must have the last word on any subject. Entire industries have changed. Phone companies have given way to cell phone companies. Those little computers we carry have killed many people that insist on using them while driving. Our government now has the capability of monitoring our conversations. Our search engines that we prize for information can control the information we are allowed.
All the medical miracles we have these days still deny any viable cure for cancers. Drugs like Ivermectin that are beneficial are thwarted and villainized in favor of drugs that do us harm like vaccines that really aren't vaccines at all. Doctors aren't allowed to prescribe anything not approved by the big pharmaceutical companies because they supply our hospital conglomerates with free drugs that are far more expensive.
Modern conveniences have many benefits if used well. We have opened a door that can never be closed unless the war mongering elite manage to put us into a nuclear conflict that sends us back to the stone age. Won't that be pleasant.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

We had one enemy, a somewhat sensible one

Outside our borders.

[img]
[/img]

Good one!

That song always takes me back to that time.
Damn sad. Talk about Hope and Change!
Posted By: nimblehunter Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
We still pay cash for dinner out, gasoline for the Buick, Jeep,& Polaris Ranger, diesel fuel for the Ram, & groceries. We watched The Post Man on VHS last night because we have one of those fancy VHS / DVD combo players & a TV antenna mounted on the chimney with ratchet straps. The wife has an iphone 6 that needs to be on a charger constantly, a 10 year old Acer laptop, & I have a flip phone that I use to tell time.......Guess we could upgrade but probably wont. We haven't been off the mountain since Thursday.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
I don't have a debit card.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

So... you buy your T1-11 with cash?

+1
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22

Dont have one..... dont want one.

I do, but only for the HSA account.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
I can’t imagine preferring these days to the just about any time in the past. I really miss the WWII generation.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
It was a great time to grow up in the 50's and 60's. There was no inflation, California was still a safe place to live and a candy bar cost 5 cents.

I spent my summers living the life of Huckleberry Finn, running around the uncharted areas near Yellowstone. My mother taught at the University in Bozeman and we had a cabin outside of West Yellowstone, where we spent the whole summer living in the 1880's. We had no modern conveniences, a wood stove for cooking every meal, an outhouse for a toilet, and a well for water.

I loved every minute of it and had no idea that it wouldn't last forever.

It's easy to reminisce, but not knowing what you were missing is easier than not having the conveniences once you have had them. I do like the cell phone and the immediate tie to what is available to look for and buy guns that I would never know existed without the cell phone.

I like having a new one ton truck that will start and run reliably and a few other conveniences. But if my knowledge of the current convenances were wiped away, I could easily live like I did in the summers of the 60's...

Thanks a bunch.

There's a scene in Tulsa King where Stallone tries to buy something with cash and the clerk tells him they don't accept cash. He'd been in prison for 25 years so he has no credit card and says "WTF, cash is king."

Thought I'd mention it here so cashisking can search it up and watch it while saying "uh-huh." Second episode I think.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Thanks a bunch.

There's a scene in Tulsa King where Stallone tries to buy something with cash and the clerk tells him they don't accept cash. He'd been in prison for 25 years so he has no credit card and says "WTF, cash is king."

Thought I'd mention it here so cashisking can search it up and watch it while saying "uh-huh." Second episode I think.

I'll wait for it to come out as a VHS Box Set...
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Simpler times - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith

Glass half full kind of guy aren't ya? ...

I'll admit to not missing the party line. Didn't realize beans and potatoes were the only sides available in the last century, or that it took hours to cook a simple meal. Did you have to rub two wet sticks together?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Simpler times - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Thanks a bunch.

Yep, you can buy that with cash, but not Paramount streaming.
Posted By: greydog Re: Simpler times - 11/29/22
I like having the ability to check ahead for campgrounds when we are travelling. On the other hand, we never had any issues pre- cell phone either.
As for spending cash, I had a couple of instances where cash was discouraged as payment. I wrote out a statement saying I had tried to pay but payment was declined and asked the person behind the counter to sign it. Both times, they decided to accept the cash rather than sign. GD
Posted By: deflave Re: Simpler times - 11/29/22

Thanks a bunch.

It’s becoming more and more common.

It’s not good.
Posted By: deflave Re: Simpler times - 11/29/22

You’d need an account first.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Simpler times - 11/29/22
I miss the simpler times...

Like, Clockwork Orange, Singing In The Rain.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Simpler times - 11/29/22

You’d need an account first.

And money to put in the account.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Simpler times - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Yep, you can buy that with cash, but not Paramount streaming.

Blockbuster memorabilia on Etsy...

https://www.etsy.com/market/vhs

and EBay

https://www.ebay.com/b/VHS-Tapes/309/bn_223820

Boomers rejoice... in not having to buy one of those Highfalutin' DVD thingys just yet.
© 24hourcampfire