Home
I have never lost one but have come close. I was hunting in the mountains and stopped beside a tree on a steep timbered hillside to rest and get a snack out of my pack. I unshouldered my rifle and leaned it against the tree, took off my pack and rummaged around for my thermos and snack bag. After having some covfefe and a snack I buttoned everything back up and put on my pack and tromped away, leaving my rifle against the tree. It was a good 20 minutes before I realized I was missing an important piece of my equipment. I tried to backtrack but everything looks exactly the same and after about 30 mins I was thinking I would never find it. I had the binocs out scanning up and down and luckily I saw it about 60 yards up the hillside leaning on that tree.

Another instance I had shot an elk and was loading it up with some buddies at the trailhead. Leaned my rifle against the fence and struggled to load up the bull. We got it loaded, had a beer and then took off for the house. 3 hours later I go to get my rifle out of the truck and realized I had left it at the trailhead. I raced back to the place I leaned it and it was still there.

Never found a gun, other than my own.
No, and no.
Found a Ruger 10/22 in a recently plowed field. Must have fallen off the back of the tractor and been run over by the plows. Was pretty wrecked, but I was able to replace all of it with aftermarket parts. Yes, I did try to give it back to the farmer, but he took one look at it and shook his head.
Back in the early 80's I found a 1911 Series 70 laying by a tree when I was grouse hunting. It couldn't have been there very long because there was just a little rust on the slide where it was on the grass. I cleaned it up and still have it.

I also found a old Stevens .22 single shot laying by a tree once. It was beyond saving. It hangs in my garage.
Hunting Oregon one year outside our wall tent a Chevy Blazer drove by to start the morning as they drove by somthing slid off the roof.

I went over to where it slid off found a rifle case and rifle.
One of the guys in our group knew which wall tent the Blazer was in so we drove over to it yelled several times then opened there tent put rifle back inside of there tent.

That night we stopped by tent and the owner said he thought he was losing his mind he knew he loaded rifle in truck but when got to his hunting spot it was not there.
He said after a good search he returned to the tent and there it was.

We all laughed only gun i ever found.
Not hunting, but I've "lost" a gun or two around the house. I look and look and can't find it, and it shows up two months later in a place I forgot to look.
I lose them all the time, but eventually they show up. I need to take less guns when I go hunting...
Back in the late 90’s I found a Weatherby Mark V 7MM STW leaning up against a tree. I lived in a small town, so it wasn’t hard to find out who it belonged to. Took it to his house, handed him the rifle, and he just grabbed it, and shut the door in my face. Didn’t say a word.
No.

Found a couple while working in customer's home. Didn't touch them. Asked the owner if they could put them away until I left.

Same policy with money left out and about. Always assumed I was on camera and didn't want any misunderstandings.
Not me but I had a guide client loose a rifle on the trail up the west fork on Crystal Creek east of Jackson Wyoming. I told the guy we would find it on the way back down and there wasn't anyone else around there. I looked every foot of that trail back to camp and never found that rifle. There are at least a half dozen difficult creek crossings up that canyon and I assume the rifle went off the horse at one of those crossings. Every time I went up there I looked for that gun, even in the creek, and never found it. That was in 1980 so if there's anything left of it, it's nothing more than a rusty nub. Not a cheap rifle either. It was a Colt Sauer.
no , yes mowing the ditch along the highway at my mother's yard. found a little 38 special.. and we're way out in the rural sticks.
Found a Winchester model 62 laying in the road 6 years ago. Just saw a guy going up the road with his tractor & discbine. I figured it may have fallen off his tractor. Boy that thing was skinned up pretty badly. Farmer said that it was his grandfathers.
Dove hunting in a combined sorghum field one afternoon I found a 1930s vintage Mdl 12 leaning against a tree.
Contacted landowner and told him about it.
Said it wasn't his and no one else had permission to hunt the place.

Lost one? Nope
Guy I was with found a Kimber 1911 on Afognak. We asked local PD if they knew of a missing handgun and they weren’t aware of it and the serial number wasn’t on the lost and stolen database, so we kept it. A bit of TLC and it was good to go.

I have found 2 rifles hanging on branches along trails, both having slid out of the scabbard due to the sling grabbing brush as the horse walked by. Both times I found the owner at the trailhead and gave it back.

Never lost one myself. One friend had a revolver fall out of the holster when on a snowmachine. Someone he knew found it and gave it back.
I've found my fair share of guns while working. Always a fun phone call.

"Uh, well yeah I'm pretty sure y'all want this one, it was shoved in an old oil drum and doesn't have any serial numbers on it anymore."

I did one time reel in a Glock while magnet fishing in the Potomac.
Years ago a guy here was hunting deer in the desert. He shot a buck and needed both hands to drag it to his truck. He laid his rifle where he knew he could find it and dragged the deer out. Yup, couldn't find the rifle. About 30 years later he was hunting the same area and found it, lying right where he left it. I don't know if it was still usable or not.
No, yes...i found an A-5 Browning sticking out of a snow bank. No tracks around it but figured out it had been thrown from the nearby road.

I contacted the local PD and sure enough it was a stolen gun. The PD came and picked it up along with questions as to where and when it had been found! It turned out to be one of about ten guns that had been stolen.
Never and never.
Found a pellet rifle leaning against a cottonwood tree where others had catfished along the Snake River

Saw a rifle laying on the edge of Hwy 16 about 30 years ago but by the time we turned around another car had stopped.
Nope. But I've had a handgun stolen out of my truck years ago. File a police report but nothing has come out of it.
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Not hunting, but I've "lost" a gun or two around the house. I look and look and can't find it, and it shows up two months later in a place I forgot to look.

Had a small pistol in a range bag I tore into a few times without finding it. Looked again- nope, wasn't there. Wife told me to let the police know a gun was missing( man.....I don't know why....) So I did and of course the very next day I found it.......in the range bag....Of course!

Dad swore his Beretta was stolen out of his car from under the seat. He called me looking for advice on a replacement and bought another even though I told him I knew his Beretta would show up. Course Dad was gung ho on a new one. I went for a visit and Dad told my nephew to fetch his new FN from under the car seat. Nephew came back a minute later with a puzzled look and two boxes asking which one he meant....lol "Oh S*** don't tell your mother "were Dad's first words.......Of Course!
no firearms were lost or found
Lost a gun once when a buddy and I were taking turns driving and drinking. (Never do them at the same time, that's dangerous). We got good and blasted and were hanging out the window shooting at signs as we drove along. We were about a case into it when somehow we realized the gun was missing. Could have fallen out at a piss stop, who knows. We were more careful the next night and tethered the gun to the seatbelt. Set a new record for sign kills that night too even being encumbered with the tether strap.

Went home and smoked some weed then went out about 2am and burned up a motorhome in the woods. Cut off some old growth fir with a 10 gauge double barrel we stole from old man Tuckers down the street. Ran out of ammo or we coulda fugged up a nativity scene in some jerks yard on the way home but fuggit, we was tired anyhow and Danny had to go to work at the mill at 6am.

I got home and the girlfriend was all like, "Where da fugg you been all night, tapping that ho Sindy prolly! When I got outa jail we went looking for that gun in the ditch and whatnot but alls we seen was beer cans and clothes and schit.
Yes and yes.
Nope. A friend found one however while cleaning out a spring seep. Incredible old rifle.

Osky
Originally Posted by BangPop
Not me but I had a guide client loose a rifle on the trail up the west fork on Crystal Creek east of Jackson Wyoming. I told the guy we would find it on the way back down and there wasn't anyone else around there. I looked every foot of that trail back to camp and never found that rifle. There are at least a half dozen difficult creek crossings up that canyon and I assume the rifle went off the horse at one of those crossings. Every time I went up there I looked for that gun, even in the creek, and never found it. That was in 1980 so if there's anything left of it, it's nothing more than a rusty nub. Not a cheap rifle either. It was a Colt Sauer.

Now there is an endorsement for a good guide.

Sheesh...
Eastern ND about 1981 or 2 or so. Duck / Goose hunting about 50 miles SW of GFAFB, ND. B52 Pilot friend of mine left his 12 GA Browning Superposed on a fence post by our parking spot. Approaching the base gate, he started thinking about his shotgun and realized he forgot to put it in the truck so he turns around drives back. Shotgun is gone. Questions some folks down the road aways and they say they saw an orange colored camero or sporty type car in that area. He goes into the nearest town. I can’t remember the name of the town. Starts asking around and finds out where the orange car lives. Rings the doorbell and gets his gun back.
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Back in the late 90’s I found a Weatherby Mark V 7MM STW leaning up against a tree. I lived in a small town, so it wasn’t hard to find out who it belonged to. Took it to his house, handed him the rifle, and he just grabbed it, and shut the door in my face. Didn’t say a word.

what an ass
you watch enough of those fishing magnet guys youtube videos, they usually find a gun at some point

I'm guessing whoever lost those guns did so on purpose.
A buddy of mine was rabbit hunting down by Owensboro, Ky one time, and found an old Ithaca double 12 in the ditch. It had been there some time, and was beyond repair. Too bad, too, it was a "New Ithaca Double" and might have been another feller's prize bunny gun.
I never lost and I've never found.

My uncle found a flintlock when he took down a wall at my Grandfathers house 30 years after he died.
30+ years ago I was helping a friend remodel a city home for rental. We knocked out a couple walls and behind one was a pair of rifles between the studs, complete with old police evidence tags still attached. I don't remember what the second one was but I laid claim to the Winchester 94. I was told back in the day they would action off those guns just like they do autos and bikes. I never asked too many questions. The rifle was traded later for another gun but I don't remember which one now.
Yes and Yes!

Misplaced one that was a home hideout! A year or so later ……we found it! Seems we’re pretty good at hiding things! 😁 memtb
Was coyote calling few years ago, just at sun down. No coyotes so I walked back to my truck, leaned rifle, a custom Sako in 17 Rem, against my pickup front tire, stowed my e caller etc, and drove five miles home. Then I realized my rifle was missing. Drove back and found it, un damaged.
20 years or so ago, while moving out of a house I had sold, I found an old Savage semiauto shotgun in the attic. It is a 16 gauge, no idea if it is in firing condition.
I found a FRANCHI 12 ga semi auto shotgun while Pheasant hunting on a game preserve in Illinois back in the 80's.
We had to check in before and after the hunt. I brought the gun in to the check station and while the ranger was checking my Pheasants the owner of said gun came in all upset and crying about losing his brand new shotgun. He literally had tears in his eyes. Seems it was a birthday gift from his wife. He had propped the gun on his bumper and pulled out without putting it in the vehicle . I walked over to him an asked him what brand gun and he said it was a FRANCHI. I told him it was his lucky day and handed the gun to him. I thought he was going to kiss me , he was so happy.
I loaned a guy my dad's Colt Woodsman when we were out rabbit hunting. SOB lost it out of the holster somehow. He shrugged his shoulders and said "oh well" I let him know we were NOT leaving for home until that pistol was found! There was no way I was telling my dad that. I retraced his footsteps and found it. Last time that guy touched a firearm or even went hunting with me. His attitude ended that friendship and still kinda pisses me off 35 years later.

Only firearms I know of that were found were by by G Grandfather. He found an old Winchester 20ga single shot and a 22 out on the manure pile one morning back in the 1930s.
Almost and no.
Probably 20 years ago I was hunting on a wildlife management area using a climbing stand. After the hunt I walked back to my 4 wheeler I leaned my rifle (Weatherby Mk V) against a limb of a pine sapling, loaded the climber onto the 4 wheeler and rode about two miles back to my vehicle. After trailering the 4 wheeler I opened the door and seeing the folded, empty gun case on the front seat made me utter a few bad words 😳. I always fold up the case so no one will think that there might be a rifle in the truck. No need to tempt anyone.

The only thing that worried me was that while I was loading up, there were a couple of pickups that came out of the WMA and drove right by me. I hadn’t passed them on the ride out so they were probably farther in than I was and might have driven by the rifle.

So back on the atv and drove back to the spot and there it was, right where I had left it.
A guy I worked with found a like new Browning Citori in a case lying in the middle of a busy 4 lane road.
He stopped and picked it up and looked it over. There was a state police post (this was Michigan) about a mile down the road and he took it there. They told him if no one claimed it in 30 days, it was his. It was the longest 30 days of his life-lol. All I could think of was the owner laid it across his trunk after finishing up hunting, and had driven off. This was 35 years ago.
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
I loaned a guy my dad's Colt Woodsman when we were out rabbit hunting. SOB lost it out of the holster somehow. He shrugged his shoulders and said "oh well" I let him know we were NOT leaving for home until that pistol was found! There was no way I was telling my dad that. I retraced his footsteps and found it. Last time that guy touched a firearm or even went hunting with me. His attitude ended that friendship and still kinda pisses me off 35 years later.

Only firearms I know of that were found were by by G Grandfather. He found an old Winchester 20ga single shot and a 22 out on the manure pile one morning back in the 1930s.
Disasters regarding LOANED guns is a whole new topic. Glad you found the Colt
I have not, but neighbor did where we moose hunt at and my son found a 1911 on the side of a mountain while chasing caribou. Found the owner and it was the son of a butcher in the area, so his caribou was processed as a finders fee.
Found some form of Glock at the local range on a bench. Called local PD and they picked it up. I didn't want to take it with me but also didn't want to leave it there.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Sheesh...
Hey, at least I didn't loose the client. Some of those dumb asses couldn't find their way from the cook tent to the latrine.
Nope....😌

But have found plenty of Wpns.
Their is a difference.
And pain is always associated with a " lost wpn"
Some of ya I'm sure know what I'm saying.
Only takes 1 smoke session to not have a " lost wpn" again.

🤣🤣🤣

Sheesh...
Hey, at least I didn't loose the client. Some of those dumb asses couldn't find their way from the cook tent to the latrine.

That doesn’t account for bad guiding. You always follow your client and pick up whatever they drop.

Double sheesh, hold into the scabbard…
I lost a shotgun in my gun locker. But eventually found it.
I found a 20ga pump, while on a duck hunt, just a couple of weeks ago. The barrel and receiver were buried in the mud, but the buttstock was visible in the water. The gun had a shell in the chamber and magazine, but we could not get the action to open.

It was on a public duck hunting property here in Colorado, (Andrick Ponds), which used to be my coyote honey-hole when John Andrick owned it and ran it as a private duck hunting club.
Originally Posted by MPat70
Nope. But I've had a handgun stolen out of my truck years ago. File a police report but nothing has come out of it.
I had my 700 BDL 25-06 stolen out of my truck while parked in the yard after washing it. The thieves hit 3 streets besides mine that night taking everything to the sidewalks and piling it up. Two streets over a lady saw them idling down the street loading the loot and got the plate number and called the cops and with serial numbers from the gun in the police report I had it back in three days and was very lucky.
There is a 5" Smith & Wesson 3rd Model HE .44 Special on the loose somewhere in my house.
no but last year I lost my bow!!! holy chit, its so annoying, The only thing I can think of is someone grabbed it off the trail I was standing next to before I came back for it. I wondered around for hours looking for it. Its not so much the value, but it was setup and tuned for me. I have almost an exact replacement for it. Doesn't shoot anywhere near close to as well, YET!
I forgot about this one. About 47 ish years ago, I would ride my Honda XL 250, down a few miles of railroad track, and across a fairly long (1/4 mile +) elevated trestle to get to my little squirrel hunting place. I always took my S&W Model 28 along, in a small pack tied on the seat behind me.

I got to the paved road, and for some reason looked behind me…..no pack! After nearly “seizing-up” and regaining my composure (mostly) I road the tracks back until I found my handgun. I was much “worse for wear” than it was! We enjoyed a great reunion! 😁 memtb
I temporarily lost a rifle years ago. My wife moved the damn thing without telling me. She hid it good too. I had no reason to be looking for it for several months. At that point, I had no idea where it was and she didn’t remember moving it either. I bumped into it while switching out fall/winter clothes for spring/summer clothes. I was one happy camper when I found it!

Sheesh...

That doesn’t account for bad guiding. You always follow your client and pick up whatever they drop.

Double sheesh, hold into the scabbard…
Piss on em, I'm not their mother.
Have come close twice.

Worst one: I had been carrying a j frame Smith in a pocket for nigh on twenty years, second nature, carried it everywhere along with my keys, phone and wallet, put it right next to me when I slept every night. The morning after visiting out of town with my then wife - no revolver.

Looked everywhere, it was so routine I could not remember laying it next to me, we had gotten home very late. The last time for sure I knew I had it was in a McDonald’s 150 miles away. The only time I had gotten out of the car at all after that was to take a leak by the side of the road 60 miles out and in my own driveway.

Felt like absolute crap, what if I had somehow left it in the McDonald’s? Didn’t seem possible. Dropped it in the driveway? I would have realized I didn’t have it when I lay down that evening.

Called in sick that day, backtracked to where I had stopped to take a leak, looked all around in the roadside weeds nada. I checked Police reports online in the town the McD was in. Nothing.

Made me ill not knowing if some kid or thug had it somehow. Three months later it turned up in a pile of blankets in a closet in my house. HUGE relief.
Lost one last week. Found it.
Most recent one. Packing up in a downtown parking lot after a long Alamo event. Putting away all my 1835 gear in my car.

My $1,500 flintlock fowler was leaning against an adjacent wall in a simple cotton canvas gun sleeve, period style. I never carry visible firearms outside at my house so no one will see that I have them. I would transport that fowler in the original nondescript shipping box it came in.

Packing up my car, a passer-by engages me in conversation. He moves on, I check my stuff is packed up, including flintlock box, drive home.

30 minutes later, at home, I pick up flintlock box and it was empty, I had left that fowler leaning against a wall in downtown San Antonio. Drove back expecting it to be gone.

Nearly a hour after I had left it, there it was in the fading light, right where I left it. Hundreds of people must have walked right by it. Somehow, completely covered in that plain heavy cotton sleeve, it hadn’t caught anyone’s eye.

Well, if it had been gone I doubt it would be used in a crime 🙂
I’ve found guns in my safe I’d forgotten I had. That’s about it.
Found a Taurus Judge near a fire ring in New Mexico.
Found the owner the next day.
I've found two that had been placed in a tree fork and never recovered, ........... and the trees had grown around them over the years!
often wondered what the stories were, as both were isolated locations at least 100 miles from civilization nowadays.
Also found an 1873 Winchester while paddling in some shallow water miles from nowhere, ..... looked down and could see it laying there in the sand and mud, so jumped in and brought it home. Often wondered who lost it 100 years ago, and how they made out without the rifle, ....... most likely a trapper!
I had a nice Marlin 30-30 growing up, that I left at home with my parents when I moved out to go to college. I would go back home ever once in a while and use it for whitetail hunting in Texas and my dad used it in the oil patch sometimes or on our farm to shoot coyotes. Anyway, I left it there at my parents house even many years after I got out of college. My dad's health faded fast and he passed away in 2008, and I went to get the guns from the gun cabinet and the 30-30 was gone.

Never did figure out what happened to it, but I really miss it just for the sentimental value, and would have liked to pass it down to my sons. I figure one of my no good cousins got it. My dad had dimentia in the end and probably loaned it to one of them and forgot about it, and they probably hocked it for beer or drug money.
Never "lost one" had some stolen, never found one either
Friend worked for car rental place after college. They find lots of guns left in cars. Most turned out to be cops guns. They always said said “can you keep this between us”
Lost a Remington 22 when I was young
Found a Glock 45 in the middle of a sendero on our lease in Freer
Lost one (wife's), replaced it after deciding it was stolen (~ 2 years later).
Around 6 months after that, I found it - so now she has 2 of the same model - and she's going to keep both.
Still have one I've "hidden" from myself. It's around here somewhere, I forget where.
Left a cased 788 in 223 on the table at the range one day. several guys were with me and it got overlooked in the loading up process.
Called the range the next day to ask about it and the RO told me it had been turned in.

Then he asked me if I wanted to keep it because the guys that found it would gladly take it off my hands.
I found a Browning Citori 12ga with the stock and barrels sawed off at the forend. It was in an abandoned house.

Gunshow loophole I suppose.
Originally Posted by dale06
Was coyote calling few years ago, just at sun down. No coyotes so I walked back to my truck, leaned rifle, a custom Sako in 17 Rem, against my pickup front tire, stowed my e caller etc, and drove five miles home. Then I realized my rifle was missing. Drove back and found it, un damaged.

Did the same thing with a W70 7Mag one of the first years I hunted big game. Rolled over it with my Scout, realized it was missing, went back and found it lying in the snow with a big tire track right over the middle of it. A Tasco 4x scope (I told you it was one of my first hunting years) and the gun both appeared undamaged. I shot it at a tree 25 yards away and it was 2 inches left of the mark. So, I dialed in 32 clicks of correction and it was good to go. Shot it for the next 10 years and sold it for a stainless classic. Since then, I always lay my gun on the hood of the vehicle right in front of the driver. No forgetting that one.
I had a friend put his brand new shotgun (Browning Gold Hunter) on the roof of his car, after a bird hunt. He realized his mistake, when he got home. He drove back to the parking lot, and searched the area, but he never found it. He contacted the police, and gave them the serial number and reported it as lost. This happened before the days of Craigslist, so he put an ad in the local paper with his name and phone number. He got several crank calls over the next week, or so, calling him a dumbass and asking how he could be so stupid. I felt bad for him. His wife gave him the shotgun as a birthday gift, just a few days before he lost it. I don't think he ever got his shotgun back.

I never found anyone else's firearms.
Had a client of mine drop a $15,000 Italian SxS 12 gauge overboard in chest deep water on a duck hunt. It’s still there, we never found it.
Back about 30 years ago was working for a moving company in Birmingham. We were moving a mother and teenage daughter out of a very nice house after a divorce. In the garage I found a duffel that was partially open. Inside were two Mac-10s with mags inserted and about 10 extra loaded mags. I brought it to the woman's attention. She confirmed that they likely belonged to her ex who had built a bunker in rural north AL and started insisting that they call him "The Colonel". She said he had so many guns that he likely did not even miss these.
I think so. I moved out of mom and dad's home in 1980. Somewhere around 2010 my mom found a cheap single shot 22 rifle in the back of my old closet. I have no recollection of where it came from but I'm sure it was mine.
Son and I pre deer season scouting in the woods. He finds a holstered what looked like a High Standard 4.5" 22 pistol but it was so rusted it was hard to tell. Holster had to be peeled off. Looked like it was at one time a good quality rig....100 year old abandoned strip mine.

Never lost one.
Timbermaster: No never lost one but have "found" quite a few!
Most all of those "found" guns were in connection with police investigations.
I did "misplace" a Rifle once during a move. It was a M-1 Carbine and the VarmintWife was "helping" me put up my guns in my new gun vault room.
She thought one Rifle case was empty and put that soft Rifle case at the bottom of what became a large stack of other "empty" gun cases.
Years and years go by and I can NOT find that M-1 Carbine. I eventually convinced myself I must have sold it.
More years go by and I need a "short" Rifle case - through my large stack of cases I go and discovered the missing M-1 Carbine. Glad I did as I sold that Carbine and a box of military tracer ammo (along with several original new in wrappers military magazines) for $875.00 at the Missoula Gunshow.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Back about 30 years ago was working for a moving company in Birmingham. We were moving a mother and teenage daughter out of a very nice house after a divorce. In the garage I found a duffel that was partially open. Inside were two Mac-10s with mags inserted and about 10 extra loaded mags. I brought it to the woman's attention. She confirmed that they likely belonged to her ex who had built a bunker in rural north AL and started insisting that they call him "The Colonel". She said he had so many guns that he likely did not even miss these.

So how do they shoot?
Not me, personally, either one.

The Rem 725SA I have was found by a friend in a wrecked snowmachine sled out of Anuktuvik Pass. Only a couple hundred people there, but no one ever claimed it, or the several other guns in the sled. We figured it was a case of alcohol embarrassment/blackout. smile. They had been out there a month or two is all - wintertime. Most of the damnage was done by prior lack of care.

I refurbished them all, and Steve gave me the 725SA .244. Barrel was shot, so I hung a take-off .260 700TI barrel on it, and take it hunting time to time.

I have a Hi Standard .22 pistol that a local snowmobiler lost up in the Caribou Hills. He found it later in the summer, rust pitted on one side, and brought it to me for cleaning and bead/rebluing. Despite repeated notifications, he never returned for it. Shoots good.
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by TnBigBore

So how do they shoot?

Sorry to say she took the bag and did not offer them to me. This would have been back in the Miami Vice days and I would have liked to have fired both from the hip at the same time like a Columbian drug lord.
lost a mod 94 30-30 out of my saddle scabbard while chasing cattle, knew the acre that i lost it on but for the life of me could not find it. Snowed that night next spring i walked right up to it , talk about being pizzed off that i did not find it the Oct before.

norm
My son or I left his 581 at the range after 4-H practice, each thinking the other had loaded it. We caught grief over that for a few weeks. Leader had it. We didn't realize it was missing for two weeks.

My cousin lost his HK 300 with an 05 mt and a Leupold 3.5 x 10. He was trapping beaver and after checking his sets was loading up. He or the guy he was with set the cased rifle on the bumper or? I helped look for that gun for the next week. Never found it. @'86-87.
Lost a ruger single Six.

Bought it used, it was rough looking.

Had to cerakoted.

Kept it in my SxS.

Was running around deer camp on a Saturday. Kept it kn the dash.

Loaded up to come home and forgot it was still laying on the dash.

30 miles of country roads i remembered to grab it.

It was gone…

Back tracked best i could. Looked in the road. Ditches.

Needle in a hay stack…..
A few years ago, a fellow neglected to load his duck gun and his bag of decoys into his vehicle in a parking area to a salt marsh. I found the duck gun laying in the dried mud in the open. When I turned in the gun at the local police station, the fellow had already reported the gun and decoys lost. The fellow reported he had been distracted by his dog so forgot about his gear. When I found the gun, there were no decoys . Never got the rest of the story.
Years back I bought an old cab-over pickup camper, used. Later "junked" it, and as I was parting it out, found a little AMT "Backup" .380 semi-auto under the refrigerator - I guess stashed there by a previous owner? Still had a loaded magazine in it, and was fairly clean. I did a little "touch-up", added new grips, and shot it some - functions fine. Decent little pistol, has a grip safety - like a 1911, and is all stainless.

Mike Holmes
hate to admit this but it all worked out in the end. lost a stainless remington 700 off the back of my flatbed. put it in case and laid it on back and just drove off like a fool. that was back when i was fresh married and had a boy on the way and gun purchases were extremely thought out and planned and budgeted for months and just made me sick.

the next year my equipment repair business was going and blowing and i was going thru a big lot of repo'd semi tractors from the west coast. i was contracted to a large auction company to do make ready work for a sale and i was told to empty everything out of the trucks.. under the sleeper matress in one was a remington 700 6mm with a old weatherby scope wrapped in a shipping blanket.
its a fine shooter too this day and that weatherby scope is pretty dang clear for 1970's glass
Back in 2004 I was hunting in Montana for mule deer and tagged out with a nice 4 X 4. I packed up all my gear into my car, saving my TC Icon .308 for last. I still had a 1000+ mile drive home to Michigan and in the morning darkness I forgot about my rifle. When I arrived home the .308 was nowhere to be found. I called the outfitter and luckily one of his hunters turned it in. The hunter was also from Michigan so when he returned home I drove the 25 miles to his house and retrieved it. I offered the guy the six pack of beer I’d brought, but he preferred the marijuana which he had a legal permit to smoke. I passed on his offer of a doobie.
Originally Posted by Johnsclist
Had a client of mine drop a $15,000 Italian SxS 12 gauge overboard in chest deep water on a duck hunt. It’s still there, we never found it.
OUCH!

I knew a gunsmith that lost his stainless Ruger Red Label, when his duck hunting canoe tipped over. I forget what he told me, about how the canoe capsized. The dog jumped in and rolled it, or it tipped over when he tossed the decoys in, something like that. I don't remember, but he wasn't in the canoe when it went over. He never did find the Red Label.
© 24hourcampfire