Home
Posted By: verg .300 win mag ammo question - 11/28/22
I picked up bergara 300 win mag for no other reason than I thought it was cool. I'd like to use it here and there. Think I'd like to shoot 150g ammo?? What are you guys using for a good round for deer possibly elk? I see price on 300 ammo is icky!
If you want to burn powder by the pound, there's always a .30-378. Do you also swat flies with a Louisville Slugger? The deer in your woods must be wearing level III trauma plates.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: .300 win mag ammo question - 11/28/22
Run a good 180 or 200 grain bullet. Guess you could go mono with a lower weight.
Originally Posted by verg
I picked up bergara 300 win mag for no other reason than I thought it was cool. I'd like to use it here and there. Think I'd like to shoot 150g ammo?? What are you guys using for a good round for deer possibly elk? I see price on 300 ammo is icky!

Why 150gr.

For Elk I would use a premium 180-200gr bullet, for whitetails, might as well use the same.
Posted By: verg Re: .300 win mag ammo question - 11/28/22
I'm not sure why...just thinking good deer round. But reading the 180 may be a better all around round and good match for the 300 so I'll investigate that as well. Thanks
Posted By: denton Re: .300 win mag ammo question - 11/28/22
Regular cup and core bullets tend to come apart if they impact at greater than 2800 FPS. So for your rifle, either a premium bullet or a heavier, slower bullet are better. Or maybe both.
Run a good 180 gr in the 300 Winny. I run 200 grain partitions in my 30-378. Thanks Beav!

(Actually, the wife confiscated the 30-378 for elk hunting, I'm now relegated to my 338 Win mag)
Good ole 180grain core-lokt has always been perfect for me when i had a .300. Shot both elk and deer and always performed perfectly.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: .300 win mag ammo question - 11/28/22
180's are the most commonly used weight for lead core bullets in the .300 WM. Monometal bullets like the TTSX could run lighter.

150's will have a bit less recoil and shoot a little flatter but might destroy quite a bit of meat at closer ranges unless they are monometal.
any other recommendations? Will look at 180g Remington cor-lokt....any others in fair price range? I am a fan of federal fusion. Have had great luck with those in my .270 but cannot find any for sale for 300.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: .300 win mag ammo question - 11/28/22
180 hornady sp or btsp should be available?
I found a 165 grain Scirocco worked great for deer in the flatlands of Montana on a 300+ yard shot.
You might want to look at norma also. They shoot great out of my .308. They are pretty reasonably priced and readily available on most sites that i have looked at.
thanks all
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Run a good 180 gr in the 300 Winny. I run 200 grain partitions in my 30-378. Thanks Beav!

(Actually, the wife confiscated the 30-378 for elk hunting, I'm now relegated to my 338 Win mag)

I got myself into some elk recovery trouble with my 30-378. The crew wasn’t particularly happy with me where I had shot a few bulls. But it made for some good character building.

My replacement, a 300 Rum, didn’t change much. They still get pissed on occasion.

Lol

🦫
Originally Posted by Beaver10

I got myself into some elk recovery trouble with my 30-378. The crew wasn’t particularly happy with me where I had shot a few bulls. But it made for some good character building.

My replacement, a 300 Rum, didn’t change much. They still get pissed on occasion.

Lol

🦫

I remember you telling me about those when I bought the thing. Having been to some of those big timber areas in OR, it makes my back ache just thinking about it. 300 RUM? LOL - that didn’t scale things back much! I’m surprised you’re allowed anything more than a slingshot these days iffen much recovery is needed.
Posted By: denton Re: .300 win mag ammo question - 11/28/22
Hornady Interlock, the poor man's Partition.
Originally Posted by Esox357
Run a good 180 or 200 grain bullet. Guess you could go mono with a lower weight.

Exactly this^^^ IF he wanted to run 150's, he should have bought a 308w.
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Lol

🦫

I remember you telling me about those when I bought the thing. Having been to some of those big timber areas in OR, it makes my back ache just thinking about it. 300 RUM? I’m surprised you’re allowed anything more than a slingshot these days.

No kidding!

Good thing they all love elk meat.

Glad your wife likes the 30-378.

🦫
I'd stay away from 150's unless you shoot a premium bullet. Backaches my buddy and I wanted "more speed" we loaded up 150's for my Win Mag and his RUM. Both ended up taking whitetails inside 50 yards the same day. Lots of meat damage, zero tracking required. I use 180s in my Win Mag now and don't use it for Whitetails other than one wide open farm I hunt.
Posted By: Calvin Re: .300 win mag ammo question - 11/28/22
With Norma hitting the market with a pile of cheap 150 300 wm whitetail ammo I am sure a bunch of animals will die to 150s.

The bc is so low that they slow down quickly. Use em up.
Posted By: hanco Re: .300 win mag ammo question - 11/28/22
Barnes 150 TTSX will work fine
I have used the .300 for over 50 years. The 150's do shoot flat and do loose speed, but when I had my first bighorn permit, I used Nosler BTBT and 3" high it shot less than 2 feet low at 500 yards. I tried it and needed it. You can use heavier bullets for bigger animals with no problem. I have killed big game with all the bullets wts. between 125 and 220 except 190s. I have shot numerous elk with 150s. A hit behind the shoulders they are toast. These guys are all saying a good hit is all you need, well 150s kill elk just fine when hit behind the shoulders. If I am hunting elk, I use a heavier bullet usually. Right now I am loaded with 165 Accubonds. These clowns are good at passing on hearsay about everything. I have used my .300 as well as most other calibers over the last 60 years. For big game it is the top of the pile. It can do anything a .308 can, and lots more. Use it you enjoy it. It is not always necessary but at times it is handy to have the speed, power and flat shooting of this caliber.
Posted By: verg Re: .300 win mag ammo question - 11/29/22
Good advice wyocoyotehunter!
© 24hourcampfire