Home
Posted By: RipSnort Car magazines ??? - 11/29/22
Is there a decent car magazine being published nowadays? Years ago I subscribed the Automobile, Car & Driver, Road & Track and Motor Trend. I gradually stopped renewing my subscriptions with the last to go being Motor Trend solely because of Ezra Dyer's column.

What's worth subscribing to currently?

Thanks, RS
Posted By: logger Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/29/22
I have gone through the same progression including Autoweek and RaceCar (and Formula Car before that). Autoweek and Automobile went out of business, Road and Track became a big picture coffee table magazine and Car and Driver thought they were so cute. I still get Motor Trend just to keep track of the new cars. I most miss Road and Track. Great Formula 1 coverage back in the day.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/29/22
Diesel World
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/29/22
I would have thought that there were more "car guys" on the 'fire. Or maybe there aren't any car magazines worth mentioning.

RS
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/29/22
HotRod.
Posted By: bugs4 Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/29/22
is Open Wheel magazine still being published? ? ?
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/29/22
There is AAA give that a try. Might help with trip information.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by RipSnort
I would have thought that there were more "car guys" on the 'fire. Or maybe there aren't any car magazines worth mentioning.

RS

Nobody reads magazines any more.
Posted By: Teal Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/29/22
The Car Clips I read are fairly specific - not the general ones like MotorTrend or Autoweek.

Four Wheeler
Hot Rod
Ol' Skool Rodz
Car Culture Deluxe
Rat Rod Magazine
Posted By: Pugs Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/29/22
I enjoy https://classicmotorsports.com quite a lot but as I edge closer to retirement I've go this project coming that will have me looking for other resources. Any ideas on old Ford Truck magazines?

(1952, One owner, my great grandfather, 16,000 miles and been in the garage on the farm in KY since 1968.)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Westman Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/29/22
Collectible Automobile

Hemming's Classic Car
Posted By: Border Doc Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/29/22
Like it or not, us car guys are a diminishing demographic. Gone (or going) are the days of muscle cars, high performance accessories and big blocks; here come the hybrids and EVs, which all look alike to me.

The EPA, CAFE, OPEC+ and WH have all put their massive thumbs on a favorite hobby.

Fewer citizens buy newspapers or magazines, so fewer advertisers are attracted to the hard media.

Does this sound familiar to the hunter, reloader and shooting fraternity?

Enjoy your favorite writers, formats and innovations while they are available, support and encourage the younger generation and practice your crafts diligently.
Posted By: Border Doc Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/29/22
P.S. Don't forget to buy your copy of Gun Gack , favorite loads. Support your local author and 24HCF contributor!
Posted By: Teal Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by Border Doc
Like it or not, us car guys are a diminishing demographic. Gone (or going) are the days of muscle cars, high performance accessories and big blocks; here come the hybrids and EVs, which all look alike to me.

The EPA, CAFE, OPEC+ and WH have all put their massive thumbs on a favorite hobby.

Fewer citizens buy newspapers or magazines, so fewer advertisers are attracted to the hard media.

Does this sound familiar to the hunter, reloader and shooting fraternity?

Enjoy your favorite writers, formats and innovations while they are available, support and encourage the younger generation and practice your crafts diligently.

MotorTren's on-line service and content like Roadkill, Roadkill Garage, HotRod Garage and Dirt Everyday were pretty popular and had GREAT content. For me anyway.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/30/22
When I was younger, high school and first few years of the service, it was Car Craft and Hot Rod.
Once I got back home, I read Muscle Car Review and Circle Track, which was devoted to stock car racing.
Eventually I hung up my fire suit, but I still read MCR because of the articles about the cars I love.
7mm
Posted By: DryPowder Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/30/22
Originally Posted by Teal
The Car Clips I read are fairly specific - not the general ones like MotorTrend or Autoweek.

Four Wheeler
Hot Rod
Ol' Skool Rodz
Car Culture Deluxe
Rat Rod Magazine

The print version of Four Wheeler is supposedly dead according to UJOINT OFFROAD. It's in the first 30 seconds of this video.

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/30/22
P.S. Don't forget to buy your copy of Gun Gack , favorite loads. Support your local author and 24HCF contributor!

Thanks for the mention! www.riflesandrecipes.com

As a professional writer for close to a half a century, must comment that while printed "specialty" magazines are indeed becoming pretty rare as the business transitions to Internet publishing, printed books are still doing great. Dunno why the difference. Even in my Montana town of around 2000 people there are three bookstores, all doing very well--but the last couple of magazine stands disappeared in the past year--one in the small supermarket and the other in the largest "convenience" store.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/30/22
Well, just as long as no one calls them car clips.
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/30/22
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Thanks for the mention! www.riflesandrecipes.com

As a professional writer for close to a half a century, must comment that while printed "specialty" magazines are indeed becoming pretty rare as the business transitions to Internet publishing, printed books are still doing great. Dunno why the difference. Even in my Montana town of around 2000 people there are three bookstores, all doing very well--but the last couple of magazine stands disappeared in the past year--one in the small supermarket and the other in the largest "convenience" store.

Interesting that you mention the disappearance of magazine stands. The other day I was in a large, full-service grocery store and checked out the magazine section. First, I was surprised at how small it was. Second, there were almost none of the magazines that were the stalwarts of days gone by (Time, Newsweek, Southern Living, Vogue, Forbes, Sports Illustrated, etc.). Third, there were almost no publications for a mostly male readership (outdoor sports, guns, cars, motorcycles, girls, airplanes, athletics). I continue to become more of a stranger in a strange land.

RS

P.S. I have, however, been enjoying my copy of Gun Gack 4 immensely!
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/30/22
Grassroots Motorsports is a good mag. Top Gear magazine is pretty cool, although they'e testing more electric cars, being in Britain and all. Still like Car and Driver, although it's gotten pretty thin. Mopar Muscle is decent, too.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/30/22
It was car craft for me for the long time then Pearson's four-wheel driving off road
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Car magazines ??? - 11/30/22
Was always Hot Rod for me but I haven’t had a magazine subscription in maybe 20 years.
© 24hourcampfire