Home
Posted By: Clarkm How cold is your shop? - 11/29/22
My house..... 69 degrees

27 degree gradient

Attached shop... 42 degrees

8 degree gadiant

Outside ....34 degrees
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/29/22
As warm as I want. Had a natural gas heater installed on the ceiling when it was built. Just had a shop add a mini split system to cool it down in the summer. Spend a good deal of time in it so want to be comfortable.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/29/22
House 70*

Outside 26* w/NW winds @22

Garage 67* & cozy
Posted By: papat Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/29/22
30X40 shop. Lp gas heat with electric back up. Comfy as the house. Son is a cabinet maker.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/29/22
Warm as I need it. Throw in another log. When the temperature drops to 31 degrees, the natural gas comes on and brings it to 45 degrees, then shuts off. Keeps things from freezing,when we are traveling. Costs about two hundred in gas on the average each year. plus I usually cut two cord a year, for the garage. This year I got another cord, from a broke kid, for 110$. I would have given him more, but thats all I had, when he came by the house. Hardest working young kid in the neighborhood.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/29/22
Don't youse guys wish you lived in the sunny land of fruits and nuts? 10:10 PST, 80 deg house, 28 deg outdoor ambient, shop estimated 27 deg...I am a frugal man, look at all the money I saved by not insulating. Grin.
On a more serious note, do you fellas that have lathes, mills etc in an ice cold shop...you have any tips to share? If I had any projects today, I would have fired up the barrel stove out there about 7 am...and stove wuffing and puffing the shop would be in the 50's by 9am but the machines would still be ice cold. One thing I see is condensation wants to collect on the machines as the shop warms up...I have to use Fluid Film like most folks use toothpaste.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/29/22
I keep the House at 62° in the winter.

I have an Ashley wood stove in the shop and when I working out of it I keep it 55°-60°

I have a doggie door for the shop so the outside critters can come and go as they please. Once the weather drops to freezing and below I always keep a fire going for the animals to warm themselves.
A thin mist of Diesel fuel from a spritz bottle will keep most machine tools from rusting, and it's a lot less expensive than other rust inhibitors. 5 minutes with a shop towel before using the machine cleans up the handwheels enough to get a good grip on them.
Posted By: AKduck Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/29/22
Wood stove in the main with momma keeping it 80. Shop is at 61.
Posted By: pullit Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/29/22
Mine is about 65 but that is where I want it. If I am cold or hot, I just adjust the thermostat
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/29/22
Its about 30 in there right now.

Outside is ten.

Wind chill is -20.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/29/22
I keep mine at 60 or a little under. Don't like sweating if i am welding or working on something. It has a heated concrete slab which keeps things pretty consistent.
Is 80 degrees outside, Feels like 85 with humidity League City Texas. My insulated garage/shop should be mid 70’s. Just a guess but probably pretty close. If it gets hot I turn on the mini split, if it gets cold Tuen on the mini split. It’s a heat pump.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Don't youse guys wish you lived in the sunny land of fruits and nuts? 10:10 PST, 80 deg house, 28 deg outdoor ambient, shop estimated 27 deg...I am a frugal man, look at all the money I saved by not insulating. Grin.
On a more serious note, do you fellas that have lathes, mills etc in an ice cold shop...you have any tips to share? If I had any projects today, I would have fired up the barrel stove out there about 7 am...and stove wuffing and puffing the shop would be in the 50's by 9am but the machines would still be ice cold. One thing I see is condensation wants to collect on the machines as the shop warms up...I have to use Fluid Film like most folks use toothpaste.
One of the reasons to keep miine from freezing, is to keep the mill and lathe, semi warm. Try iron clad spray from zep, if the machines set for any extended time period! Protects very well, but doesn't wipe off as easy as oily type products. I believe our weather is quite similar.
Posted By: logger Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/29/22
Upper shop has a ductless heat pump. Lower shop has a Lopi wood stove.
Posted By: CCCC Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/29/22
It's not - just gets a bit chilly on winter AMs. Small electric coil heater with fan in the smaller shop area, and a propane dish going gently near me if out in the big space.
Posted By: KFWA Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/29/22
My shop is just a hobby shop so rarely spend an entire day there, much less 2 or 3 in a row..

I have a nice little US Stove but it takes about 90 minutes to go from 25 - 65.

Once I get the fire started and the shop warmed up , I feel like I'm wasting wood if I don't hang out there piddling around for a few hours.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/30/22
Cold

I'm to tight to heat 1200 sg
Posted By: earlybrd Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/30/22
My official hq shop gas heat run 68 degree non stop all winter I use 1/3rd of it.My home shop no heat I got offered $500k for the official hq and been thinking about a backyard hq😉
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/30/22
Balmy 5F outside, went from 25F up to 60F inside today. On the way back down now. Propane and electricity, priceless.
I try to keep mine to around 65-70 in winter and 72 or so in summer.

To many primers and gunpowder to do otherwise take a chance.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/30/22
Anyone use Rustlick 631 for machine/tool rust prevention?
Posted By: ironbender Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/30/22
48*. -12*F this morning.

It’s not a proper shop. It’s the attached garage.
Whatever is ambient temp minus wind chill + contributing wood stove. 60x30 1815 era Post & Beam barn with a concrete floor is my shop. Great until it’s not then I just do other things.
59*
Posted By: Tarkio Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/30/22
both of them around 45
Single digits at the moment. Wish it’d got colder quicker. Was gonna let the deer hang a couple days longer. But I ain’t gonna bitch about our fall. It was really nice.
Posted By: las Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/30/22
When i got home tonight after a few days away, it was -5 outside, 56 in the garage (NG slab heat turned way down).
Posted By: specialK Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/30/22
My shop heater is set at 66
I use the old barns for most shop work out of the weather, they be cold this time of year. The garage here has most of my tools and a workbench for repairs. I open the door to the basement and allow the heat from woodstove to take the chill off. I get by just fine that way!
Posted By: White_Bear Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/30/22
House is lower 60's. I keep my 4800+sf shop at around 60* in the winter with LP. Wood furnace gets fired up most days in the winter. It's also air conditioned so rarely over 70* in the summer. I spend 12-16 hours a day in my shop so it's nice to be comfortable.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: How cold is your shop? - 11/30/22

Closed Cell spray foam is your friend

R7 per inch

Open cell is +/- R1
© 24hourcampfire