Home
the help of the GOP membership. Negotians between the unions are going nowhere, and any congressional mediation will require the help of at least 10 GOP members. Wonder which will give in first the unions or the GOP?

We should know Friday, 9 Dec 2012. Ought to be interesting.

Phil
Your boy Biden has his pen & phone and the ultimate power to block the strike......yet he's askeered, this time?
Old news.

Biden already fixed the railroad issue, remember?

Lol
The Dems will add poison pills to the bill, and the weak Republicans will cave. More aide to the Ukraine for sure!
Could alway's turn out like the '81 PATCO strike. which wasn't good for anyone.

Phil
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Could alway's turn out like the '81 PATCO strike. which wasn't good for anyone.

Phil

Fat chance, Biden doesn’t have 1% of the balls that Regan had.
Unions won't give in, They need more money to give to Dem,s--
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Unions won't give in, They need more money to give to Dem,s--

This^^^
Is why FJB won't step in.
Dad was a railroader for 43 years, a carman, repaired coal cars and worked the wreck car most of his life. Absolutely hated the place. It took open warfare to get the union into the coal mines a hundred years ago. It will probably take something similar to get any improvements from the rail companies. Derailing trains in places that are detrimental to everyone around would get everyone’s attention quickly.
Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
Dad was a railroader for 43 years, a carman, repaired coal cars and worked the wreck car most of his life. Absolutely hated the place. It took open warfare to get the union into the coal mines a hundred years ago. It will probably take something similar to get any improvements from the rail companies. Derailing trains in places that are detrimental to everyone around would get everyone’s attention quickly.

There you go, start derailing trains so the union gets a few PTO days. Maybe make sure you get some anhydrous tank cars or other chem tanks cracked open...JFC, what a dipsh.it
Originally Posted by hillestadj

There you go, start derailing trains so the union gets a few PTO days. Maybe make sure you get some anhydrous tank cars or other chem tanks cracked open...JFC, what a dipsh.it

Will be interesting once the guys on strike realize the stuff they need to live while on strike - sitting in those non-moving rail cars. Hurt themselves.
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by hillestadj

Will be interesting once the guys on strike realize the stuff they need to live while on strike - sitting in those non-moving rail cars. Hurt themselves.

"Fuggggggg. You mean my overnight Fed-ex delivery is going to be marooned on a tied down Z-train in BFE for a couple weeks?! Dammit!"

I'm not well informed on the current issues, but if the quality of life issues
I hear about are the issue, I agree with the union.

RR crew lifestyle sucks. Period.
And the companies DGAF!

But, I'm a former long haul trucker.
RR'ers sleep in motels, get paid wages to wait....
I slept in cold trucks, only money was hand unloading and turning wheels.

I understand their complaints, but when I got the schidts of the life, I bailed out.

Firecontrolman,
To call for such behavior is dumb as F!

There was a time and place. When the companiues were killing and maiming workers with no concern. When the companies were hiring
mercenaries to beat and kill anyone who opposed them.
That is not the case now. Why in the hell would you encourage that?
Damn sure didn't pan out for Ragen! He thought that by giving them an ultimatum that they would all go running back... didn't happen and Ragen got caught flat footed. He kept his word, and it took the industry more than 10 years to recover. Later Clinton allowed the old worker to go back to their jobs if wanted. Though after nearly 13 years I don't know why they'd want to. Whatever it be, Congress won't have the votes with just the Dems to do anything about it. Will need at least 10 GOP members, and that's if none of the Dems take a hard-liner for the workers. Personally, I hope they strike, government doesn't have a right to prevent or immediately step in to prevent the workers from striking. And what the workers are asking for is not unreasonable.

Phil
What are the workers asking for?
The ability to call in sick when they are sick, to take time off to seek medical attention, and to not have to risk their jobs to do so. Pretty much what every other worker in the county has...

Phil
The ability to call in sick when they are sick, to take time off to seek medical attention, and to not have to risk their jobs to do so. Pretty much what every other worker in the county has...

Phil

Don't forget the right to not take the jab.

Phil

I’m quite surprised that the workers can’t call in sick when they are sick, and can’t seek medical medical attention when it’s needed.
I’m not understanding why an employer would want people “on the job” when they’re actually sick, or why they would not want employees to seek medical attention so they could be more productive at work.
Welcome to Buttfugkville, where OP is the mayor
the help of the GOP membership. Negotians between the unions are going nowhere, and any congressional mediation will require the help of at least 10 GOP members. Wonder which will give in first the unions or the GOP?

We should know Friday, 9 Dec 2012. Ought to be interesting.

Phil
Phil, why do we have to wait until 2012 ?
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Welcome to Buttfugkville, where OP is the mayor

Speaking of that where is the Transport Secretary..

Peter Peter Cock’n Eater ..

Still trying to resolve who’s Tit his Kids going to Nurse On ..

Taking the Longshoreman on at the Cabby Patties..

Is there even a Transportation Secretary..
Currently the Conductors on the majority of BNSF and the UP are on call 24 hours a day seven days a week when assigned to unassigned freight pool assignments , with 2 hrs notice to report . They do not have a single sick day or PTO time to use without incurring points toward discipline. The Railroads offered reasonable pay raises and three days per year that a conductor could schedule a Dr's appointment as long as it is scheduled 30 days in advance, and only on a Tuesday Wednesday or Thursday. So if you develop the Flu or the China Flu keep working for 29 days and then see the Doctor. The Government needs to just stay out of this and the Railroads Unions will come to an agreement .
Think the price of everything is outrageous now, wait until about stops being delivered. Price will skyrocket.
Originally Posted by dale06

Phil

I’m quite surprised that the workers can’t call in sick when they are sick, and can’t seek medical medical attention when it’s needed.
I’m not understanding why an employer would want people “on the job” when they’re actually sick, or why they would not want employees to seek medical attention so they could be more productive at work.

Apparently, one big issue is if they take a day off "sick', they don't get paid, and they want paid sick leave. Most everyplace I have worked (except farms), you earn paid sick days for X-amount of work- usually monthly. Often when one retires, at least some of unused sick leave is paidon severance. Union negotiated, of course. IIRC, I got paid for 2/3 of my unused sick leave.

I walked away with about $17 K, after taxes, etc. when I retired because I had to be REALLY sick to not work, and I've always been pretty healthy. Some of my co-workers treated their paid sick days as paid vacation days, would take it monthly, and never built up any. Even with the "3 days out you need a Dr's note " rule that we had.
Originally Posted by Raeford
Your boy Biden has his pen & phone and the ultimate power to block the strike......yet he's askeered, this time?

Yep, Bidet's trying to chicken$hit his way out of this. Repubs should be voting it down just to screw the Dims and force Diaper Jo to pick up the pen.
While being sympathetic towards the sick issue, tell us about the ways to get paid by not working, the crazy wages on the extra board....etc.

If you want to change railroad life into postal service life.... the stuff you lose may not be worth what you gain.
Originally Posted by high_country_
While being sympathetic towards the sick issue, tell us about the ways to get paid by not working, the crazy wages on the extra board....etc.

If you want to change railroad life into postal service life.... the stuff you lose may not be worth what you gain.

Exactly.
People (unions) want to get paid for not working. I’m 100% on board with paying people who are sick. Negotiating a week or two or three weeks sick leave and then treating that as just more vacation days is wrong. And the same people who support that bitch about jobs moving out of the USA. It simple math.
Originally Posted by dale06

Phil
Sounds like BS to me. This isn't the first strike/threatened strike by RR workers.
How many absences does it take to shut down a train?
Originally Posted by Chisos

Yep, Bidet's trying to chicken$hit his way out of this. Repubs should be voting it down just to screw the Dims and force Diaper Jo to pick up the pen.

Exactly^^^
Make FJB piss off the Union[if he dares]
Originally Posted by Chisos

Exactly^^^
Make FJB piss off the Union[if he dares]

Why wouldn't he dare?

The two most solid and stupid alliances in politics are unions and blacks
with the Dems.

From January to November every 2 or 4 years black/union issues are
very important to Dems. On the stump.
Back in DC for 14 months of "work", those groups are forgotten except for
the occasional "booster".

And January of the next even year leaders of both groups will be supporting
Demonrats.
The railroad union agreements are negotiated and agreed to by the rank and file members. there are many different union contracts and each is some what different.

All union members have 10 days of unpaid sick leave a year that was negotiated by the union and signed off on by the rank-and-file. Unused sick leave days are paid to employees depending on union contract.

Trainmen turn schedules are negotiated between the union management and the railroad management and union management maximizes turn times so union members receive the greatest amount of compensation.

I call times for trainmen was negotiate with union and it was set at two hours call time. Union members can check the call board to see when they possibly could be called and know ahead of time to be ready.

They can call the board and let them know that they are ill.

Oh, it is a fine line on the turn times that the union management sets up with the local company management and union members. Employees, want to make as much money as they can. Therefore, they have allowed little time between trips (turns).
Bwana , Not all Union members have sick leave

The unassigned (Turns) are regulated exclusively by the Union representatives and are governed by a mileage component that the Chairman uses maintains consistency and balances the time off work

The (Call Board) you are referring to cannot predict when the Conductor or Engineer ahead of you is going to call off and move you up for call.

I don't know. where you came up with this information but the majority of it is inaccurate.
Tough job for great pay and bennies.

All those dudes probably didn't realize that when they signed up, right?

Lol
Originally Posted by Bwana338
The railroad union agreements are negotiated and agreed to by the rank and file members. there are many different union contracts and each is some what different.

All union members have 10 days of unpaid sick leave a year that was negotiated by the union and signed off on by the rank-and-file. Unused sick leave days are paid to employees depending on union contract.

Trainmen turn schedules are negotiated between the union management and the railroad management and union management maximizes turn times so union members receive the greatest amount of compensation.

I call times for trainmen was negotiate with union and it was set at two hours call time. Union members can check the call board to see when they possibly could be called and know ahead of time to be ready.

They can call the board and let them know that they are ill.

Oh, it is a fine line on the turn times that the union management sets up with the local company management and union members. Employees, want to make as much money as they can. Therefore, they have allowed little time between trips (turns).

All incorrect.
It's a fact that not every job is going to have the same bennies. You either live with it or find other employment.
I was a conductor for NS for a few years. The extra board sucked. It was either hot or cold. Periods of 12 on and called back in 8 hours later followed by weeks of being lucky to work 3 or 4 days a week. There was no guaranteed pay for guys on the extra board with less than about 7 year’s service- the union had bargained it away in a prior contract. Pay was not outstanding either. The only good thing was your wife had a pretty solid income when you died 2 years after retiring.
Biden has signed the anti-strike bill. Now lets see if the unions still support him. That loud thump you just heard was the bus bouncing over the union members.
Could alway's turn out like the '81 PATCO strike. which wasn't good for anyone no load civil (non)servant unions.

Phil

Fixed it for you, gheygagger.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Biden has signed the anti-strike bill. Now lets see if the unions still support him. That loud thump you just heard was the bus bouncing over the union members.

They will not care and will continue to vote for D's.
The Dems, Big Business and Union Leaders are all against the workers.

Who would think we would see that?
Or, they could just say "Goodbye, I've had enough" and just quit. 700 did just that at the beginning of the year... some, maybe not a large proportion might just say F... Congress, and F... the railroads. In which case nothing has been solved and Congress shouldn't have stepped in between the railroads and their employees. So now, it's all up to personal preference.

Phil
My buddy is working overtime for his company tomorrow. BNSF called him and asked him to install the stickers and placards required on the rail cars. They said that they don’t have the language in the contract necessary to have THEIR employees do it so they are farming it out. They told my buddy that they don’t need welder/fabricators to do it so they were hoping to get a “deal”. My buddy couldn’t stop laughing (he was inside next to me taking the call) and told him that he doesn’t have any non welders on staff so if he needs it done it’ll cost them the welding/fabrication rate. He quickly agreed saying it’s gotta get done and they don’t have anyone that is willing to do it. 🤬

My buddy will happily spend 8 hours applying stickers to rail cars while getting paid $150 hr for something that they could pay $15 hour for.
The issue isn't just wages and sick leave. Since Harrison Disease (aka Precision Scheduled Railroading) swept the boardrooms, railroading as a career has been wage slavery. My last railroading friend just took early retirement because he decided he wanted a life before he died.
His final month, he spent 31 days straight being called on rest with his fastest trip being 9 hours and about half being trips where you "go dead" after 12 hours and then have to sit and wait for a ride to town, and THEN your rest starts and boom, you're called on rest. But that 8 hour clock starts when you book off, not when you hit the pillow at home or at the motel "away."

Now, this is a smart guy, great wife and kids, third generation locomotive engineer on his dad's side, wife's side was five generations but everyone on that side is non-railroad, doctors and attorneys instead. He had four years to go, but the past five years were the hardest of his career. He said, "I realized I no longer was working for a railroad."

Sick leave is just a sideshow. The business is a grind, people are just little gears to be ground to dust, and when they break, another automaton comes along. But the new automatons aren't signing up for some reason.

I really think the "strategy" here is to force the issue and have crewless trains run by computer or remote monitoring, eliminate humans on trains entirely as soon as possible. Wall Street wants 24/7 utility of all assets and humans can't do that. The industry was forced to install a super-signal system and by gosh, they'll get their money's worth from that infrastructure one way or another.
I don’t get sick leave either. How many paid days off so they get?
Anyone in a union in 2022 is a scumbag.

All these railroaders crying about how bad it is, well I will tell you the same thing I hear when folks talk about my profession....nobody made you work for the railroad, go get a new job.
And 10% for THE BIG GUY!!
JFC... could you imagine having the OP as your "fatherly role model" growing up? Watching him sit around in his froot o' looms all day, looking for everyone else to pay his way

Fuggin yuck.
© 24hourcampfire