Good job and great pics.
Great buck.
Congratulations
Nice buck!
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Originally Posted by splattermatic
And,,,,, this is who ?
?

Likely fallout from the Roundoak incident.
Beautiful buck. Congratulations!
CONGRATULATIONS 🎈 🎊 πŸŽ‰πŸ§¨πŸ’―βœ”οΈ

Did you use the 257Bob?
Outstanding! Congratulations!
257Bob
What tool did you use to cut the antlers out?.... looks nicely cut.
Great buck, sir! Congratulations
Sweetness!
Damn! Nice buck.
Stud! Congratulations sir.
Very nice buck. I could only dream....
Thought this was something to do with RO.
Sorry, for the question like that.
Details man, details...
Gun, cartridge, bullet ?
Amazing deer, holy schit. Congrats!
Originally Posted by 673
257Bob
What tool did you use to cut the antlers out?.... looks nicely cut.
Taxidermist used a sawzall
That's a stud!
Nice work. Congrats
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Very nice buck. I could only dream....
Thought this was something to do with RO.
Sorry, for the question like that.
Details man, details...
Gun, cartridge, bullet ?

Opening day, 7:44 AM, had a 140 8 with it, sitting behind hay bail farmer set up for me, family farm in unit 10 (4 generations on my GFs side), 308 win with my DIY Defiance-Proof pre-fit, 140 yards. Had a doe tag so hunted for three days, say several other bucks including a heart stopper tall 8 with dagger G2s and kickers!
we sure don't get bucks like that here in Florida. Congratulations on a good one.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Thats a monster. Congrats!!
Way to go
Hell yesπŸ‘πŸ‘
It would be a long time for something like that to show up south of the Mason Dixon line. Congratulations, that is a beauty.

Any idea how old he was?
Well done!
Fantastic!!!!
Congratulations!!!πŸ‘
Daymn, that’s a niceun’. Congrats! What bases on that sum-buck
Great deer and nice field pictures --- Congratulations
Those bases are world class.
Very good buck
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
It would be a long time for something like that to show up south of the Mason Dixon line. Congratulations, that is a beauty.

Any idea how old he was?
guessing 6.5
Great Buck congratulations
Dang man that’s a dream buck very very nice!

Who? 257 Bob

Would it be foolish to ask what cartridge you shot him with?
Congratulations on a great Buck! πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
Kansas Opening Day Buck, Unit 10, 162 3/8" BC

Great buck, congrats, 257Bob!
Heavy πŸ‘
308, 165 Hornady Spire Point, didn't take a step, took the hit, stood for a few seconds then crumbled.
Real nice buck. The bases are impressive, good job.
Kansas produces some whoppers.
Nice Buck!
Great buck, congrats!
You can tell by the picture that he was quartering, exited back but he didn't take a step.
Nicely done. Congrats
Great buck!!! Congrats!!
Great buck, congratulations!
Nice Buck. Hasbeen
I would have guessed more than 162" with that mass.

So where is he "lacking"?

Heavy bruiser for sure. Nice one!!πŸ‘πŸ‘
Nice
Those bases are baseball bats.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Does he get dinged for the dual brow tine on one side as an otherwise typical buck?
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE

Does he get dinged for the dual brow tine on one side as an otherwise typical buck?
I don't ding. He has what he has, no deductions by me.

I don't understand what you're saying. You said 162" seemed short of expectations and asked where the buck might be lacking. What you do or do not ding has nothing to do with official scoring methods. I'm not familiar enough with scoring to say whether the dual brow tines on one side ended up being a deduction but offered it as a possible reason for pulling down the score a bit.

I don't understand what you're saying. You said 162" seemed short of expectations and asked where the buck might be lacking. What you do or do not ding has nothing to do with official scoring methods. I'm not familiar enough with scoring to say whether the dual brow tines on one side ended up being a deduction but offered it as a possible reason for pulling down the score a bit.
Yes that will deduct/ding but add that back in and I was seeing him pushing 180". Pics can be deceiving or he has all deductions in there.

Be nice to know if he has it as gross or net.

I guess it was a poor choice of wording on my part. I should have asked if net or gross and what the deductions measured up to/took away from.

Yes that will deduct/ding but add that back in and I was seeing him pushing 180". Pics can be deceiving or he has all deductions in there.

I guess it was a poor choice of wording on my part. I should have asked if net or gross and what the deductions measured up to/took away from.

Now I'm picking up what you're laying down.
That's a tank,
congrats
Those bases are massive. Good job bud.
That is a awesome buck!!!!!
Holy schit!!!!

Way to go man!!!

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

ARRRRRGH!!!!πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
Thanks, a buck of a lifetime for sure.

Yeah, I'd be grinning in that horn picture. wink
That is a dandy!

Even after the mandatory 60 day drying period it should still stay above 160 and make the record book.

A buck that size shouldn't shrink much over an inch.
Almost every Kansas buck I've seen on the ground been has laying on the edge of a corn field.

Congratulations on your awesome buck, even more so with it being in the timber!
Outstanding buck.
That sir is a Jim dandy 100 yrs from now your offspring will talk about this
Awesome buck, Congrats!
Real nice set there for sure.

Way to go.
Geez Louise that's a brute! CongratulationsπŸ‘πŸ»
Wow! Nice buck. Congrats.
Dang nice buck mister.

Unit 10 and 11 are full of dandy bucks
Beauty!
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Yeah, I'd be grinning in that horn picture. wink
Yep... Wouldn't kill ya to crack a smile Bob.
Originally Posted by JeffA
Almost every Kansas buck I've seen on the ground been has laying on the edge of a corn field.

Congratulations on your awesome buck, even more so with it being in the timber!
In our area of #10 timber is a scarce commodity!

Even after the mandatory 60 day drying period it should still stay above 160 and make the record book.

It's a damn nice buck but when did they lower the book minimum from 170?..mb
Congrats, that's a genuine DANDY!
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

It's a damn nice buck but when did they lower the book minimum from 170?..mb

No changes I'm aware of.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Well, I'm back home after a 2,600 mile round trip from Tallahassee, FL to NE Kansas, the land is owned by extended family, been in the family for three generations and growing. My FIL has hunted the land for decades but is a meat hunter and shoots the first legal deer he sees and calls it a day. We have a farmer who manages the land and grows corn and soy beans. The farmers son hunts the land and the adjoining land his father and inlaws own so it gets very little hunting pressure. I applied for a tag last year but didn't draw, was lucky to draw this year so planned the hunt. The farmer was kind enough to set out hay bails for blinds as I was only able to make one scouting trip this year. I studied the farm by photos/maps found online but there was only so much I could do as I really didn't want to get into the limited timber and run the deer off. My plan was to simple go with the flow opening day and plan from there. My FIL and his adult grandson were hunting too so I didn't have the place to myself. I really didn't know what kind of deer the land held so my goal was simply a representative mature Kansas buck (mature by age, not necessarily antler size).

Opening morning finds me looking at a timber line from three hay bails set with an opening in the middle for me to hunt from. Problem is you can't see anything from sitting so I stood as much as I could but didn't want to spook any deer. Shots were fired around 7:20 AM, FIL's grandson shoot three times with a 30-30 and connected on a very large doe. They weren't far away so I wasn't sure how it would impact deer movement near me.

Shortly after, I see a nice rack down by the tree line about 125 yards away, I say "rack" because with the rolling of the land, all I could see was his head. The buck looked to be a 140 class 8 pt and I would have been happy with him but he did not present a shot opportunity. While looking for him, the deer I killed came into view from the left. The bucks were not more than 20 yards apart but they were in the edge of the woods and presented no shot opportunities. I lost sight of both of them and tried to figure out what to do next. About this time a doe steps out and while watching her, the buck I shot comes into view from my left, he looks like a mature 8 from the side and there was not doubt I was going to shoot him first change I got. He took a few steps and I rested my rifle (my DIY Tenacity/Proof pre-fit/McMillan in 308) on the hay bale and let one fly. I was using a suppressor and I saw the hit through the scope. He absorbed the bullet, stood for a second, tilted his nose up and collapsed, not even a wiggle.

I watched for a bit but could not see him in the timber but knew he did not get up. I gathered myself and my gear, waited a few minutes and walked up to find him. About half was there, I could see his antler sticking up so I knew we were good. When I got to him I was gobsmacked, could not believe the mass of the antlers, I knew he as a good buck but the mass was simply incredible. I had shot a 145 in Canada years ago and this buck made him look small. I wasn't planning to mount another deer but there we no doubt when I saw this one. I connected via a family member and found a great taxidermist who was able to cape it out so I could take the antlers home and I'll take them back when he's ready in 8-10 months.

I had a doe tag to burn so I hunted a few more days and saw a few does here and there. On day three, first light, seven deer ran into the field, four of which were bucks. Two average 8s, one 4 pt and one ten I would have happily shot if I had a tag. Not huge but probably 130 class. Watched them til they mostly wandered off then shot a doe. Sat there a bit longer not wanting to bother my FIL as he was hunting a field over. While I was sitting, I saw "antlers" in the tree line, I noticed the rack first and got my binos on a heart stopper of a deer. Mature but younger 8 was looking over the field from cover and he was stunning. Not too wide but tall with dagger G2s and kickers. Probably a 150 class deer but stunning to look at, a real treat.

Overall I consider myself exceptionally lucky with a buck-of-a-lifetime and we all had a great trip. I plan to go back next year if I draw but I know I'll probably never kill anther deer like this and I'm ok with that.

Took the deer back to Kansas City at the in-laws and processed in their garage, CWD makes transport out of state difficult. I mix one Boston butt with one boned-out deer.
I think it would do ok with 60 dry period but it was scored gross and it may have some deductions to take it under 160 net, not sure but will take a look.
Congrats again on a successful hunt and a beautiful buck.

I've fished Atchinson State Fishing Lake and used to coyote hunt north of there years ago. Used to be lots of 'yotes up there.
Congrats, and thanks for all the info shared!
What county?
Originally Posted by skeen

I've fished Atchinson State Fishing Lake and used to coyote hunt north of there years ago. Used to be lost of 'yotes up there.
Up towards Hiawatha?

I've fished Atchinson State Fishing Lake and used to coyote hunt north of there years ago. Used to be lost of 'yotes up there.
Up towards Hiawatha?
That direction, but SE. More like Denton, in Doniphan County.

Good bit of WIHA around there.

Up towards Hiawatha?
That direction, but SE. More like Denton, Doniphan County.
Fine looking country in that area N of Atchison.

Our farm at Hiawatha has a lot of coyotes but the hound runners from up in Nebraska keep em wised up.

We are just west of Highland, south of Hwy 36
What county?
Brown
FIL was born in Atchinson
What county?
Brown
Got it. We have 300 acres just N of Hiawatha. Been in the family for 102 years this year.
What county?
Brown
Got it. We have 300 acres just N of Hiawatha. Been in the family for 102 years this year.
Nice! We have roughly 350 acres, very close to Robinson.
What county?
Brown
It's odd how much different the topography is where you are compared to right around us. You have a few more deep hollers and more timber.

I like the drive from 36 to Atchison down 7.
Amazing buck! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing with us.
What a stud,congrats.
What a great buck! Congrats, and great pics.
Very nice buck.
I’ll not ask it’s age or if it had a name.
Seems like that’s the β€œthing” these days.
Wow, congratulations.
Nice buck!
Heckuva buck! Congrats.
What county?
Brown
It's odd how much different the topography is where you are compared to right around us. You have a few more deep hollers and more timber.

I like the drive from 36 to Atchison down 7.
The land has a bit of roll to it with narrow but deep creeks with timber draws, about 85% cultivated and remaining timbered draws. Bucks seem to cruise the edge of the timber, right before they get shot. Does and little bucks run around in the fields. I dove from Highland to Lecompton to the taxidermist, beautiful drive/land this year, lots of rolling fields with cut corn, kind of a golden amber. My spouse said "it's not that pretty this time of year", I replied that's because you're not a hunter, everything in perspective.
Hoss Whitetail 257Bob, buck of a lifetime, fo sure! Congratulations :o)

Did you get it scored yet?

KB
Beautiful buck!

I’da guessed him grossing 175-180.

He’s a beast!
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Hoss Whitetail 257Bob, buck of a lifetime, fo sure! Congratulations :o)

Did you get it scored yet?

KB
Thanks! 162 3/8"
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Beautiful buck!

I’da guessed him grossing 175-180.

He’s a beast!
162 3/8
Tremendous mass. Looks like one of our Iowa bucks.

grin
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Tremendous mass. Looks like one of our Iowa bucks.

grin
Yep, I'd like to find out in person...
© 24hourcampfire