Home
What is best???
Straight Ole hoppes
Hoppes mixed with some lucas( shake up )
Straight Lucas extreme duty
Atom lube grease
Atom lube grease mixed with some Lucas and a little bit of hoppes # 9
CLP types of products
Mobil engine syn oils
Home brew stuff ( leave Ed's red out)

What runs and protects best on a bolt rifle?
A semi SG
What about wpns like AK,s or AR,s
Pistols
Revolvers
In case any didn't know pistols and revolvers are 2 separate things .
Other firearm actionsπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ
Clinging to surface ability
Heat burn off
Ability to keep carbon fluid in the lube.
How much to lube for what type of gun.
What method do you apply it with too moving components
How do you apply it for exterior and interior rust protection.
Simple 2 inch brush
Tooth brush
Barber brush
Cloth
Fingers

All very confusing what exactly should be used and how

Thoughts...
Discussion...
Debate...
Absolutelism,s....
Proclamations....

πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”

Arrrrrrgh....
https://shop.tacticalshit.com/liberal-tears-gun-oil-bacon-4oz No problems w this stuff so far and the solvent works good to.
Maybe some of our resident sockpuppeteers/ d bag armchair QB ,s can chime in today with " nuggets of knowledge" lifted from the web and presented as their own 1st hand experience...
πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

That would be spectacular too....
They know they wanna contribute to threads like these.
They can be a online SME ( subject matter expert)
After all the world is at their fingertips just waiting to Google fu.

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Arrrrrgh....
Ive always been told that ATF was the all around perfect gun lube.

I use ATF on my shotguns but my AR and semi autos I just use CLP.

I'm sure the subject of the "right" gun lube is broad and varied based on who you ask.
Originally Posted by CMB76
https://shop.tacticalshit.com/liberal-tears-gun-oil-bacon-4oz No problems w this stuff so far and the solvent works good to.
πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Arrrrgh.....
These are the questions one ask himself while sitting in the rain in a deer blind or duck blind .
I run my self-loaders (auto shotgun, pistols and AR’s)wet with Kroil or 50-50 Kroil and Marvel Mystery Oil…seems to keep the carbon deposits fluid and not building up to cause problems. Same with revolvers for around the crane and other places carbon might build up. Douse it on and wipe off excess. Straight Kroil in the lock work of everything where I don’t want it to gum up. Clean bores by soaking with Kroil then brush, patch dry and, if putting away for a while, Eez Ox to prevent rust. I don’t get too worked up over how to clean guns or what to use…just do it.

I predict 29 pages
Originally Posted by cra1948
I run my self-loaders (auto shotgun, pistols and AR’s)wet with Kroil or 50-50 Kroil and Marvel Mystery Oil…seems to keep the carbon deposits fluid and not building up to cause problems. Same with revolvers for around the crane and other places carbon might build up. Douse it on and wipe off excess. Straight Kroil in the lock work of everything where I don’t want it to gum up. Clean bores by soaking with Kroil then brush, patch dry and, if putting away for a while, Eez Ox to prevent rust. I don’t get too worked up over how to clean guns or what to use…just do it.

I predict 29 pages
Benjamin's for Bin????
Oh my.....
πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Arrrrrgh.....
I also find visual stimuli
Such as " pics or it never happened" aid in discussions on here also.
Sorry I left the barricade stuff out in my OP.
Need to mix up some of that pill bottle stuff just to have some on hand for nostalgia.
It ran most excellent in stuff prior to that boating accidentπŸ˜”
It's a home brew concoction.
Kinda top secret proprietary stuff..😏πŸ₯΄πŸ€£πŸ€£

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Arrrrgh......
Sure wish my little buddy glockdoofusmaseypoo would post up here on the Gen forum or one of his other sockpuppets on the subject..

It's killing him not too.
Dipschit is watching .
Just got like 20 pm,s
" Lube lube lube " titled from him
Think the total from him is up in the mid 300,s now.
Might update the exact count sometime later this week..

Little fella your just gonna have to wait till Christmas day for your attention from me.

Please be patient and try to control yourself...

Unless of course you post on this thread under one of your various sockpuppets.
Don't be a wuss....

Then you can get some attention.

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Arrrrrrgh......
Dammm..

Need to cast out some better bait I geuss...

πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜”πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜”πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Arrrrrgh......
Mobil 1 10w30 for pistol slides, moving parts on revolvers, bolts and Hornady one shot for trigger assy's.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Dammm..

πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜”πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜”πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Arrrrrgh......

Maybe the pirate Genre is scaring them away...
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Dammm..

Arrrrrgh......

Maybe the pirate Genre is scaring them away...
They're afraid Ren will use them like a cabin boy.
I use the Lucas.

Prolly the easiest to find.

They have it at Napa. LGS. Farm store….

Use Kroil a lot also.

Both lube and cleaning the barrel.
Originally Posted by Raferman
They're afraid Ren will use them like a cabin boy.

That is a terrifying visual...
Oh cabin boy
Oh cabin boy

He was quite the nipper
He lined his azz with busted glass.

And circumcised the skipper.

Yo ho Columbo
Balls big and roundo
He masturbates while he navigates.

That son of a bytch columbo......

Ect ect ect .....

We used to be able to sing cadences like that....
Long ago in a Galaxy far far away.
Buzz light year and the intergalactic space patrol stuff...

Among many other cadences that offended all things....

πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£

Arrrrrrgh.....
I can't be much help on moisture control, since I hunt mainly in areas with humidities around 30% and 8 inches of rain per year if we're lucky. I'm more concerned with keeping dirt and sand out of my rifles. I like to scrub the bore occasionally with Kroil for carbon, WipeOut foam for copper. I coat lugs with Amsoil Lithium, the bore and friction points with Amsoil synthetic.
Long time ago I used bolt gun match rifle for across the course high power.

Lot of running the bolt back and forth.....

Another competitor told me to try a mix of red wheel bearing grease and STP. I settled on a ratio of around 70/30 grease to STP. It would stay effective for a weekend of shooting. YMMV, probably better stuff today?

Was gifted all manner of stuff at shooting matches, couldn't see much difference in the bought stuff and or home made chit.

Now about all I use is leftover motor oil and grease from vehicles and grass cutters. Still have most of a qt of Eezox, rub that on for rust protection sometimes. Works good on Parkerized guns.

Got a box full of old gun slickum products somewhere, I'll see if I can get a pic later....

Have fun Rene!
Butch's Bore Shine to clean bores and exterior, Ponsness Warren STOS to lube semi-auto slides and Birchwood Casey Barricade for rust prevention. I also use Bore Tech Eliminator bore cleaner and Break Free CLP. Really dirty fouled bores get JB Compound, Lewis Lead Remover to remove lead deposits.
ATF, use it on every weapon I own. It is cheap and effective as a lube and protectant.
I started using the Lucas products when they came out and have been pleased. I still have a jar of Remington Hinge Pin grease I use one my SxS’s. Sweet’s for rifle bores.
Spit and the corner of my shirt

To get any respect around here, it better cost as much as 21 year old single malt Scotch and be harder to find than an honest election in Arizona.
Pic for R-50......didn't include all vehicle and grass cutting slickum stuff.
Speaking of pirate poetry...

Frog Lube for the corrosion prevention.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Ren50 has his baiting techniques down. I don’t think he needs any help with baits…
I’ve tried a lot cleaning and rust protection products. My favorite right now is Ed’s red, and EEZOX. I always have Barricade on hand but liked it better as Sheath before they changed it.

Originally Posted by Daveinjax
Originally Posted by slumlord

Ren50 has his baiting techniques down. I don’t think he needs any help with baits…

Go back to sleep

I’m casting for VarmintDiapers
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Butch's Bore Shine to clean bores and exterior, Ponsness Warren STOS to lube semi-auto slides and Birchwood Casey Barricade for rust prevention. I also use Bore Tech Eliminator bore cleaner and Break Free CLP. Really dirty fouled bores get JB Compound, Lewis Lead Remover to remove lead deposits.
Whatt chu doings on my thread willis????
Thot chu hads me on the ignores???

πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ˜πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Arrrrgh....
This would have been a great thread for that DIY Guy to chime in on, as he was an expert on everything.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Speaking of pirate poetry...

John Valby Christmas songs are πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£ too.

πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£

Arrrrrgh....
Originally Posted by Paul_M
This would have been a great thread for that DIY Guy to chime in on, as he was an expert on everything.
The web is full of 10,s of thousands of videos and web site threads on the subject.

Boils down to personal preference and what works for whoever whenever on whatever.

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Arrrgh....
If you want good cheap gun oil. Buy Singer sewing machine oil. It can be bought cheap on Amazon and works good. If that’s to much, get a can of cheap ATF, works just fine too.
Originally Posted by blindshooter
πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Arrrrrrgh.....

Going to Rural King
Free popcorn and look around at ammo.
They have a most excellent amount and selection in stock...

Arrrrrggh....
Originally Posted by GringoCazador
If you want good cheap gun oil. Buy Singer sewing machine oil. It can be bought cheap on Amazon and works good. If that’s to much, get a can of cheap ATF, works just fine too.

Can vouch for this .
Old school mineral oil.
Nice viscosity.
Sold great grandma,s 1927 singer red eye 8 drawer couple yrs ago.
400 bucks....
Pristine....

Used a bottle from the 80,s that was in a drawer.
Worked good on the mod 70.
Slick....
None of the daughters wanted the thing
Getting out to Colorado or Arizona issue....

Ella the cat used it as a launch platform to go take naps on my 10 pt mounts neck...
Gawd knows how many times till I caught her one day racked the fuuuuk out on it.
WTF???? πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

πŸ₯΄πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€‘πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€‘πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ₯΄

Arrrrgh.....
I don't know what is "best" and never will, but have experienced zero difficulties with wear or corrosion via the simple stuff done for a very long time.

Top priority, never put one away wet or even damp and store in a dry environment - attend to them on a schedule using what has worked so far (RemLube or Hoppe's here - sometimes ATF based mix). Clean the bores soon after shooting - the cleaner is some one-off stuff in smallish plastic bottles a knowledgeable guy sold or gave me a long time ago at a local gun show - still on the market I think.

For stubborn powder residue/dirt, using Kroil.

Good thread - thanks - responses as diverse and opinionated as some predicted.
One of my buddies got a bunch of slip 2000 lubes. Been using those. Seem fine. Really recommend their choke tube grease and their choke tube cleaner.
Originally Posted by blindshooter
πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Arrrrrrgh.....

Going to Rural King
Free popcorn and look around at ammo.
They have a most excellent amount and selection in stock...

Arrrrrggh....

Home Depot has popcorn now….

Hand to listen to a 5 min spiel about getting my AC unit serviced, but hey….

Homeboy hooked me up on the popcorn….
In no particular order: Hoppes, CLP, Rem Oil
I think they all work reasonably well. For years I've used Break Free CLP on handguns and shotguns and LP on AR's. Lately I've been using Lucas products. I've used lots of others over time and never had any problems.
CorrosionX for things that rotate and for rust protection.
Montana Extreme Gun Grease for things that slide, partly because it supposedly works down to 60 below.

Tried Break Free and Rem Oil but they get sticky far too soon.
Have used 20-50 synthetic motor oil on pistol slides and it works well but is not great for preventing corrosion.
Imma guessin' ain't a one a yu fellers what uses the bear greeze no more?
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Imma guessin' ain't a one a yu fellers what uses the bear greeze no more?

Just for rubbin' on ma boots and makin' pie crust.
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
In no particular order: Hoppes, CLP, Rem Oil
Plus 3 in 1. Ballistol on smokers.

I mostly just do a wipe down. Never really leave anything other than front stuffer barrels soaked and even with those the bores get wiped out a few times throughout the year.

Bet even Hornady One Shot would make a decent wipe down spray after hunts.
I use Mobil 1 ATF. A quart will easily last a lifetime. Remoil is good if you need a light lube but it offers little if any protection against rust.
Ok I went and looked on the shelf, cleaning and oil is rem-oil, clp and outers. I have a Nikon lens pen among a few others things that came with either cameras or scopes. That stuff probably lasts me entirely to long.
Maybe some of our resident sockpuppeteers/ d bag armchair QB ,s can chime in today with " nuggets of knowledge" lifted from the web and presented as their own 1st hand experience...
πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

That would be spectacular too....
They know they wanna contribute to threads like these.
They can be a online SME ( subject matter expert)
After all the world is at their fingertips just waiting to Google fu.

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Arrrrrgh....

DURRHHHHHHH!!!! ooohh lookie another lubricants thread that my never-go-outside ass can comment on

Can I talk about my Harleys on here too???

Like all Lucas products, Lucas ED CLP works very well. It has a fairly strong odor though, and I'd be a little concerned about that out in the woods. CRC 6-56 gets the nod from me. https://www.crcindustries.com/products/6-56-174-multi-purpose-lubricant-11-wt-oz.html
I have around 150 gallons of light weight drip oil we used to lubricate our irrigation wells. Many years ago I bought 2 small squirter bottles of 3in1 oil. I refill them as needed. Never had a problem. I have atf as well but prefer drip oil. The OP's question is one of those where 500 folks give 500 different answers. It all works out.
Forum might find reading this link interesting:
https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
3 in 1, atf, mobile one, lucus....just depends.
Really like Renaissance wax for long term storage.
I'll be damned! renagade, you've become a troll. Silly ass question. What became of you? Scheese.
© 24hourcampfire