Home
Posted By: denton Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/08/22
Does covering a barrel with carbon fiber actually accomplish anything?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/08/22
Raises profit margin by 25%.
I have been working with composites this last year. Carbon, basalt , innegra , aramid, kevlar. Fascinating stuff and would like to do one of my old guns just for the experience.
It doesn't conduct heat very well does it?
Posted By: irfubar Re: Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

From my research the consensus is carbon fiber transfers heat really well, the resin used to glue it together is horrible
I'm no expert but my ridgeline shoots very well. Can't say it is because of the barrel. But it looks cool haha As was said it wasn't cheap. Anyone know if the wrap stabilizes the barrel? I like bull barrels but not for walk hunting anymore.
Originally Posted by irfubar

From my research the consensus is carbon fiber transfers heat really well, the resin used to glue it together is horrible

The resin scratches like crazy, most used is polyester and vinyl ester resin.
I thought it was done to stiffen the barrel without the weight of a heavier, stiffer steel barrel.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I thought it was done to stiffen the barrel without the weight of a heavier, stiffer steel barrel.

That's the idea. I have a magnum research 22 mag semi auto that is a delight to carry and shoot.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

That's the idea. I have a magnum research 22 mag semi auto that is a delight to carry and shoot.
I always thought those looked like a fun rifle.

Yep. And it works done properly.
Posted By: deflave Re: Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by denton

Yes.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/08/22
I have purchased two. The objective is less weight for a given outside diameter. My last one was a full Sendero diameter for a little more stiffness.

Once I purchased two 26" barrels at the same time. The carbon fiber wrapped was a Sendero light profile while the other was a copy of the six lug Weatherby ultralight 24" with 2" added to its length. The stainless barrel was heavily fluted by Twisted Barrel. Both weighed forty ounces.
Originally Posted by Ringman
I have purchased two. The objective is less weight for a given outside diameter. .

MMMM, no.

Does that one stay in you dump truck also?
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/08/22
If I'm not mistaken EVERY single winning benchrest gun has a carbon fiber barrel. Old outdated stainless steel barrels can't compete with the super-cool barrels.
Only a fool would buy an all steel barrel.
Over...
Posted By: horse1 Re: Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/08/22

I have one as well, and they are a very fun rifle.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/08/22

Depends on the carbon wrap.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by denton

Carbon Wrapped barrels are lighter for the same outside diameter and maintain stiffness
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/08/22
Well, being the owner of several carbon wrapped barrels, I say the only advantage is weight and they are not always lighter the steel, depending on the contour. However, newer shooters entering the field (and some older ones like me) like to shoot rifles with brakes and suppressors, you can't screw these things on thin tapered barrels and you need some threading and a bit of shoulder. For the Area 419 brake I use, it requires a shoulder of .750 for 5/8x24 threads. I had one steel barrel like that, a #4, and I didn't like carrying it around. These days, I use Proof pre-fits which are light enough and are ready for a suppressor. Steel barrels typically run about 1/2 the price of carbon wraps and that's "one" of the reasons competitors don't typically use carbon wrapped barrels, they burn out barrels and replace them often, hunters are one-and-done typically with barrel and "burn out".
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Well, being the owner of several carbon wrapped barrels, I say the only advantage is weight and they are not always lighter the steel, depending on the contour. However, newer shooters entering the field (and some older ones like me) like to shoot rifles with brakes and suppressors, you can't screw these things on thin tapered barrels and you need some threading and a bit of shoulder. For the Area 419 brake I use, it requires a shoulder of .750 for 5/8x24 threads. I had one steel barrel like that, a #4, and I didn't like carrying it around. These days, I use Proof pre-fits which are light enough and are ready for a suppressor. Steel barrels typically run about 1/2 the price of carbon wraps and that's "one" of the reasons competitors don't typically use carbon wrapped barrels, they burn out barrels and replace them often, hunters are one-and-done typically with barrel and "burn out".

I have a thread adapter on my M7 308win., the barrel is considered a #1 size and will accept a break/suppressor. < Just saying.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by ol_mike
If I'm not mistaken EVERY single winning benchrest gun has a carbon fiber barrel. Old outdated stainless steel barrels can't compete with the super-cool barrels.
Over...
From someone who has shot benchrest for over 30 years, I have never seen a carbon wrapped barrel used on a benchrest gun of any kind. And I'm talking competition from 50 yards to 1000 yards.
Boom!
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by deflave
I have purchased two. The objective is less weight for a given outside diameter. .

MMMM, no.

Yes. The intent is to add stiffness to a very thin barrel, all in an effort to reduce weight. If you have enough attention span to make more than a one or two word reply, why don't you enlighten everyone what your belief is other than stiffening a light barrel.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/08/22

Greg they are a real hoot. So light it's hard to believe. If a guy grabbed it on the way out the door in a shtf scenario, you could do a lot worse.
Posted By: ribka Re: Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Over...
From someone who has shot benchrest for over 30 years, I have never seen a carbon wrapped barrel used on a benchrest gun of any kind. And I'm talking competition from 50 yards to 1000 yards.

And I rarely see 24 pound bench rest guns used for elk and mule deer hunting. Must be some reason for this

MMMM, no.

Yes. The intent is to add stiffness to a very thin barrel, all in an effort to reduce weight. If you have enough attention span to make more than a one or two word reply, why don't you enlighten everyone what your belief is other than stiffening a light barrel.

MMMM, no.
Over...
o h
Posted By: Ringman Re: Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/08/22
Over...

You realize, don't you, some of us prefer to use ignorant prejudice?
Over...

And "some of us" make a career out of it.
Over...

Thanks, retard.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/09/22
Over...

Thanks, retard.

Point proven.
Posted By: deflave Re: Carbon Fiber Barrel Wrap - 12/09/22
Over...

Thanks, retard.

Point proven.

Yes.

Ring man has been proving the same point for many years now.

He’s a fugking retard.
© 24hourcampfire