Home
Doesn't seem like Mossberg get much loving from the πŸ”₯

What do you have?

I have a:
Mossberg plinkster in 22lr
New Haven by Mossberg 740t chuckster in 22wmr

The 22lr is what I squirrel hunt with and it's an accurate beast for being such a cheap gun. 1'" groups at 50yds.

The 740t 22wmr shoots Β½" groups at 50yds.
Mossberg 590 20 gauge and 464 SPX 22LR.
Have a 500 12 gauge ad have a 260 rifle that looks kind of like a Savage.

They both do what they were made to do.

Also have a 22lr single shot target rifle that is scary good.
I have a 500c in 20ga , a 500 slugster in 12ga with all barrels and a old 500 in 12ga and the wife and both kids have the batam in 20ga. for a total of 6 so we kinda show a lil love for them lol.
835 Ulti-Mag
I have a sweet-azz Coast to Coast badged 12 ga
Mossberg 500 12 ga.
Wanting a 590A1.
I have a silver reserve double barrel shot gun. Not impressed. The forend is flopping despite being locked in place. The trigger is lower than is natural, and if I try pulling on the upper end, it's like 30 pounds. No love from me.
I've had a Mossberg 500 12 ga combo with a rifled slug barrel since the late 70's. Have used it mostly for a turkey gun.
Had a Mossberg 500 riot gun back in the 1980s and 90s. Sold it to my nephew, who still has it. Good gun.
One of my favorite .22 autos, a No. 51, which was only made from 1939-40, as I recall. Also a No. 46BT (target) with the target stock with the rail in the fore end for the sling. It also has a dust cover over the ejection port. I actually don't care much for this gun, as the bolt knob is right in the way of the knuckle of my trigger finger.
Couple of 12 gauge 500s and a little Patriot youth rifle in 243 that my wife has claimed as a deer rifle.
Mossberg 142A 22 LR that I got for my 10th birthday in 1949. Actually it isn't really mine because I gave it to my son on his 10th birthday but it is still in the family and will hopefully go to my grandson some day. Wish I had a dollar for every gopher it has killed.

drover
I’ve killed a pile of game with my 500. I love that shotgun!
I have a Mossberg 600AT with a 28" VR barrel and a smooth bore / rifle sighted slug barrel.. It was my only shotgun for nearly 40 years, purchased new when I was 14 years old.
Killed tons of game with it large and small. Smoked thousands of clay birds over those years too.
Still have the box and receipt for it.

Also recently inherited Dads Leatherneck .22 with a peep sight that I learned to shoot with as a kid. Gotta get it out and run a few rounds through it.
My daughters and I all have 930 shotguns. I have a 146B .22 in probably factory condition. A 151M which is a blast to shoot, a 142K bolt action, a 144 LSB, and just recently cleaned up a 351K. But I’ve also owned a different 351K and a 320B. Also had a 46 T-bolt, but wasn’t as nice as the 146.

Forgot to add, I had another 151M(c), another 146B, a 46M(b), and an 835 I won at a DU dinner. Good think I keep a list. smile
I have Mossberg bolt action 30/06. Can’t remember the model number. It may even be at my gunsmith, seems like I took 6-8 months back. Just now thought about it. I better call and check on it.
I don't sell many guns. The day I was offered 50% of what I paid for a mossberg shotgun, I sold it as a winner.
I have a 20ga New Haven 600CT which is a Mossberg 500 made for a chain retailer (Western Auto I think). Practically a brand new village gun, with little wear and retaining most of it's finish. Apparently the safety selector broke or was lost, but the detent ball and internals were intact; and the mag spring and follower were missing and rather than getting it repaired it sat in a closet for years. I ended up with it, ordered a metal safety selector, a new mag spring with a metal follower, repaired it and it runs like a champ. Still a little stiff yet and a few grouse this fall were able to take advantage of me.
835 pump shotgun

151 22 LR autolaoder
12, 20 and a .410 model 500 here, at least before the canoe incident.
1st rifle I bought, from a neighbor ...151M(b) still have it 60 + years later.
Not anymore... had a little 500 Bantam 20 gauge slug gun way back when. It's one of the few guns I regret selling.

Never had any pump slug gun shoot as well before or since, but I was super broke at the time and needed money, so off it went. πŸ˜’
I have three 930s...

They were cheap to buy used and run great AFTER A PROPER BREAK IN.

They are not Benellis or Berettas, but they cost 25% and are perfect for what they are... barn and truck guns.
I've always figured a Mossberg 500 was part of a gun starter kit, along with a Ruger 10/22 and a Marlin 336 (in .30-30)

Just assumed everyone had one at one point or another.
Bought a 550 in 20 ga for cheap early last year only because I had a lot of 20 ga shells and no gun to use 'em in... laugh
Originally Posted by cisco1
1st rifle I bought, from a neighbor ...151M(b) still have it 60 + years later.

Ran across one the other day, a little too far gone though

Did pick up a 142 for 65 bucks, needs a good cleaning but a nice little gun.

I grew up hunting in a shotgun only county, when the 835 came out, my dad and I both got one, slugs werent allowed, only buck shot for deer. We piled a bunch up. I sold them both awhile back, feel sorry for that guys shoulder.
I have one that I’m aware of. It is a Mossberg badged Howa 1500 with above average wood and shoots surprisingly well
46B and two 500
In my many years, I've owned ONE Mossberg!

In the 50's, Mossberg and Revelation firearmsxwere pretty much considered expensive tent stakes.
The Win M12 and M70 were both dying a slow death. Remington M870 was coming into it's own and Mossberg was just cheap pot metal.
No "serious" gunner considered Mossberg worthy of a spot in their gun rack.

Back in 2019, I had shoulder replacement surgery. I had to give up my Rem 870 in lieu of something with far less recoil. A super nice guy on another site offered me a Mossberg, bolt action .410 that was languishing in his gun safe.

Still got it and still have hopes of taking a turkey with it! πŸ˜‰
Just became one recently with the purchase of a 590s tactical pump. Was pleasantly surprised at how well it works. Added a rail and red dot, plus a second rail section out front for lights or lasers. Replaced the safety with a more positive metal one. Shot some clays with it too. Chose it over other similar ones because it takes tubes, so it’s going yote and turkey hunting.

OTOH, their centerfire rifles have left me cold for decades. The latest is the best, but still has components I don’t like. The plastic mag well is one; the very thin action side-rail is another. Just old man stuff, I suppose, but that’s what I am. They’re certainly getting them into the hands of a bunch of YouTubers.
The 13 Mossbergs are:

340M - 22LR
472PCA - 30-30
479PCA - 30-30
640KA Chuckster - 22 MAG
640M Chuckster - 22 MAG
715T - 22LR (x3)
800AM - 308
800BM - 243
942KA - 16 gauge
Patriot - 6.5CM

Western Fields 550CR, Montgomery Wards house brand 500, - 20 gauge, 2 barrels, a 28" vent rib with a poly-choke and a 24" cantilever rifled slug barrel.
12ga 590
12ga 500 " turkey" with Pextax turkey scope
12 ga 9200 woodlands camo
I owned several older 500s, 152 & 142 22 rifles and a 472 30-30 lever action. With the exception of a 500 in 410, they were all decent guns that ran & shot real well.

In the last 10 years we've purchased a 500 Bantam 20 gauge, two 930s (a Security/Field combo and a 22" JM Pro) and a Patriot in 30-06. All brand new guns and the only one that worked was the 930 Security/Field, which still lives here. The rest of those SOBs are gone and I'll never buy another new one.
320BA, 340BA, 22LR rifles. Cheap and VERY accurate.
20 ga bolt with a poly choke and 2 round detachable magazine, was my father's.
500 Turkey Gun, good shotgun.
I have a 22lr that has no plastic parts and is an accurate rifle.
500 rifled slug gun back in 92 killed my 1st buck on FTCKY.
Numerous 835 ulti mag turkey guns probably 8 or 9 over the years to easy to set up and aquire, then sell or trade bait.

935 combo field and turkey kinda wish I had kept that.
930 field with a nice walnut stock after refinishing it.

Got a old school camo real tree pattern 935 turkey gun now.
Hold onto it, throws a nice pattern with 3.5 longbeard 6,s.
Kill squirrels with it also shooting cheap Remington turkey loads.

Interested in the 590 home shotguns.
8 + 1 model IIRC..
590A1????? IIRC...

Had a mossberg .22 semi of some sort long ago in Maine.
Horse trade gun...
Had that fold down front stock thing.
Would fire on 3 or 4 rd burst at times.
Sear worn out I geuss.
Unpredictable when it would do it
Semi or burst.
You never knew what you would get.
Rupture casings on burst.
Not cool....
Powder and brass in the face.
Value eyesight waaay more than that rifle.

Sold it to a LGS told em it had burst mode going on.
Made em fully aware the gun needed to be worked on.
Knowing them they probably sold it like that and didn't say squat to whoever bought it.
Oh...
1st 12 GA when I was 12 was one of those mossberg bolt action 3 shots.
Mossberg 695. Bolt action, detachable magazine, rifled barrel, drilled & tapped for scope rail. Kicked like a mule, but was 1.5" at 100 yards with 3" Rem Buckhammers. Accurate, deadly, and cheap! Took many whitetail with it.
Currently just a crown grade model 500 12 ga. and a Wards WesternField model 550 deluxe 12 ga.. Have had several Mossberg shotguns, .22's and .22 magnums in the past.
My dad's old 500 shotgun from back when they still had walnut stocks.
I've had several pump versions of their shotguns To me, they are almost the Kalashnikov of the self defense shotgun world. I've also had a couple of 930 JM Pro Tactical that I've sold. I'm probably going to dive into trying the 940 JM Pro tactical. I've read very good things about them. I don't think I've ever owned one of their rifles or pistols.
Pump 12 is all I'd be interested in
I own a Mossberg Maverick 88 All Purpose 12 Gauge in 3" Magnum. Two barrels, one 18" for bear defense when I am bowhunting and one long barrel with full, mod, and Improved Cylinder chokes. It's the only shotgun I will ever need. I love it.

I have killed bears, geese and ducks with it, would be a very good for short range deer hunting as well. It would make a home intruder wish he never even gotten out of bed that day lol

KB

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I have a model 144 22LR target rifle that my kids used in 4-H rifle club and a model 185 20 gauge bolt action with the sexy C-LECT choke.
I have a 12 ga 500 I bought w/ paper route money in 8th grade.

Love it.

Tried an 870 for one season but the trigger guard safety was a deal breaker. I’m too used to the tang on the 500 to bird hunt with it.
No flies on a model 500. I'm always reading about "best pump shotgun mossberg 500 or Remington 870". Some writers put the model 500 first. Ymmv
Originally Posted by hotsoup
No flies on a model 500. I'm always reading about "best pump shotgun mossberg 500 or Remington 870". Some writers put the model 500 first. Ymmv

The safety and slide lock release are in a much more natural and intuitive location on the 500/590 for me. Remington's rust attracting matte finish is an embarrassment. You can watch rust form on it in a duck blind in the salt marsh.
I have a Mossberg 500 20 gauge, still in the safe unfired,
I have a Mossberg 28ga. Silver Reserve that I use to kill
a few ruffed grouse with ea. yr. that feels like a f-in club,
every yr. I threaten to sell it, it's hanging on.
500 in 12, 20, and 410, they've all had their share of use and never not functioned properly.
I don’t remember the model number but I still have a bolt action 20 gauge that I shot as a teenager. It only had a modified choke but on ducks, with the old Remington Power Piston, short magnum loads with 1 1/8 ounce of number 5 lead shot, it was deadly.
I have a Mossberg 935 Turkey gun, which has accounted for around a dozen wild turkeys in spring seasons. A real turkey killer.
I've got a 590A1L, and a 12ga Shockwave with a brace, pistol grip, and TLR Racker light on it. Great guns, though I did swap the furniture on the 590A1L with a set from Hogue.
Only one, O.F. MOSSBERG and SONS 640KD Chuckster 22WMR. Nice piece of walnut for a stock but it has a weird (to me) way of pointing.
It is pretty good as far as accuracy goes. WTBS, I probably haven't shot it in 20 years or more.
Had a 22 mag Chuckster and a 500 slug/28"barrel gun, but they are long gone.
My only Mossberg is a bolt action 16 gauge.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A 930 spx for home defense . Suitable for the task running 00 buck or slugs.
Mossberg 500 wearing the Western Field stamp from Western Auto hardware stores.

Best Christmas present I ever got at 14yo, and I still consider the best ever.
Patriot 350 L. took a management buck last month
This 70 year old Mossberg Mod 46 with adjustable peep seems to out shoot almost any modern/pricey sporter .22 (must be one great barrel). But, now has a bolt opening problem that has stumped me, and others, and can't find a replacement bolt anywhere. Can anyone help?

As for shotguns, after a lifetime of owning/shooting some more expensive and more highly developed/polished shotguns, a number of years ago I got rid of all others and settled on a Mossberg Model 835 Ultra Mag in camo with chokes for quail/ducks/geese/turkey etc. and a Mossberg 500A (12 ga) with long and short barrels for all else.

Nothing but satisfaction there - one of the best moves made.
Originally Posted by CCCC
This 70 year old Mossberg Mod 46 with adjustable peep seems to out shoot almost any modern/pricey sporter .22 (must be one great barrel). But, now has a bolt opening problem that has stumped me, and others, and can't find a replacement bolt anywhere. Can anyone help?

Truly the best resource for rimfire rifles is rimfirecentral.com. There is a Mossberg specific forum. They are experts there and will have you sorted out quickly.
Got a model 500 home defense or whatever it's called. It's the only Mossberg I've ever owned.
Can anyone give more review on the Patriot rifles from Mossberg? I handled a Patriot Bantam in 7-08 a couple of days ago, considering it for a small new hunter’s first rifle. I was surprised at how well I liked it, surprisingly good trigger as factory set, liked the carbine length and the way it handled. How has the plastic magazine held up? Other pros and cons?

I have the Mossberg Maverick 88 12 gauge 3” magnum with two barrels. With the same barrel length and choke it kicks me more than a Remington 870 Express when shooting shells from the same box, which has to be due to stock design.
I have a MVP Varmint 5.56 that I really like. Have had many 22’s and shotguns over the years that never gave me any issues.
Originally Posted by DaveDaDeerslayer
Mossberg 500 wearing the Western Field stamp from Western Auto hardware stores.

Best Christmas present I ever got at 14yo, and I still consider the best ever.
WesternField was Montgomery Wards house brand. Western Autos was "Revelation".
500 and 930, just to balance out the 870's

Check with these folks, they may be able to help you with a replacement bolt - https://www.havlinsales.com/

drover
I think I have a .22 SA rifle somewhere. It's so ugly with such a bad trigger pull I hid it. smile
I've had a 500 Mossberg 12 guage for years, never failed. Also an 800A in 308. The 800 uses the trigger as the bolt stop, not the best design. It was free. Given to me years ago by a lady down the street, after her husband died. It shoots fair when you get used to the trigger. It's killed coyotes and deer since it's been with me.
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Can anyone give more review on the Patriot rifles from Mossberg? I handled a Patriot Bantam in 7-08 a couple of days ago, considering it for a small new hunter’s first rifle. I was surprised at how well I liked it, surprisingly good trigger as factory set, liked the carbine length and the way it handled. How has the plastic magazine held up? Other pros and cons?

I have the Mossberg Maverick 88 12 gauge 3” magnum with two barrels. With the same barrel length and choke it kicks me more than a Remington 870 Express when shooting shells from the same box, which has to be due to stock design.

I bought a Patriot in 6.5 CM for one of my son's friends to use on his first deer hunt and I like it much better than the Savage Axis. Other than the trigger, I think that it is a pretty good rifle. It shoots MOA 3-shot groups with the Hornady American Whitetail 129 grain factory load. My experience seems to be the exception, as many people have posted Youtube videos about their negative experiences with the Patriots that they bought. I've never thought highly of the 4th(?) generation Raptor until I bought this one, but this one has worked well.
Thanks grouseman and drover - appreciate your suggestions. A while back I put the message on Rimfire Central - good folks there - they mainly pointed me to some available bolts, but all were for the next one or two models of that 46 and will not fit the original design. They also suggested Havlin - seems to be the main source for Mossberg .22 stuff - but already had talked with them and they said "no bolt available".

Am thinking the "will not open/cock" issue has to do either with some problem with the internal spring or with the current slope of the bolt twist facing, which may be worn. That face seems soft compared to the hard pin that rides on it.

Have taken the entire bolt assembly apart more than once (a bit tricky) and cannot find an issue with that spring - so? Am about ready to try "building up" that softer cocking slope a bit to change the angle of engagement. Any thoughts?
A lot of the young redneck duck hunters I checked 15 or more years ago were shooting Mossberg 3 1/2 inch magnum 12 gauges and they usually only shot them for one season and got rid of them because of punishing recoil. They claimed the recoil was terrible with 3 inch loads also. Probably were shooting steel out of full chokes.
My first shotgun was a 20ga bolt with poly choke.
The sleeve was split when I got it, Dad tightened it up as tight as
it could get and shot it. Just got a glimpse of it going out of sight.
A piece of EMT in the garage seemed right, so he cut a chunk and
drove it on. Killed a bunch of squirrels with that POS. Found a Poly-Choke sleeve at a gun show and fixed it later. Hasnt left the closet in years.
It's not worth the space in the safe.

A little bolt 22. Has the pivoting forearm. Sling swivels through the stock to side mount the sling. 141K, I think.

It was Paps summer/winter deer rifle. Has killed more deer than most
centerfires. Only feeds if you push up on the mag as you work the bolt.
It lives in the safe. One of my more valuable rifles!

Had a New Haven 12ga pump with the twisty choke.
It worked reliably only
had it awhile and traded it. One gun of 4 I've ever left go of.
No remorse.

Everyone brags up the reliability of those pumps. From what I have
seen, i was astonished when the military adopted one.
Have seen more folks have issue with them than 870s or Winchesters.
Maybe it is just who had them.
On my 2nd 835 traded off my other a few yrs ago like a dam fool.A few years ago I had a β€œwhitetail” lightning 270 I picked up cheap like $150 cheap.Birch stock push feed REM clone it did the job but I felt like a cheap whore using it moved on to better things sold it and doubled my profits.
Mossberg 4X4 in .30-06 and Maverick in .270. Both are accurate with the 4x4 being my favorite deer rifle.
Have a 500 and a 930, love them. Back in the 70's and 80's I sold a bunch of 395K's Bolt action "barn guns"
quote=KFWA]I've always figured a Mossberg 500 was part of a gun starter kit, along with a Ruger 10/22 and a Marlin 336 (in .30-30)

Just assumed everyone had one at one point or another.[/quote]

That's actually a good list.
Originally Posted by Heym06
Also an 800A in 308. The 800 uses the trigger as the bolt stop, not the best design. It was free. Given to me years ago by a lady down the street, after her husband died. It shoots fair when you get used to the trigger. It's killed coyotes and deer since it's been with me.

I had one in 308 as well. It had very nice wood and was really accurate.
Am thinking the "will not open/cock" issue has to do either with some problem with the internal spring or with the current slope of the bolt twist facing, which may be worn. That face seems soft compared to the hard pin that rides on it.

Maybe start a thread here, or point me to your thread on RFC. Did you have pictures of the cocking ramp?
None now but I have owned two Mossberg firearms over the years -- a model 472 lever action in 30/30 and a 500 in 20 gauge . The 500 was a older model with single pump guide rail. Didn't keep either very long.

The 500 20 gauge was already well used when I bought it ($50) and turned out to be a real dud. No idea why but for some reason it wouldn't kill a squirrel beyond 10 yards shooting cheaper low brass shells. I had to shoot more expensive high brass shells to kill anything and even then it was still 'IF'-y. Traded it off for something else.

Simply couldn't 'warmup' to the 472, got rid of it and went with a Marlin in 30/30 instead.
I have two 12ga Mossberg 500's, both with Modified choke barrels and they have served me well.

I am looking for a rifled slug barrel to buy or will trade a modified barrel for one. (the best one was seldom shot )

PM me
Originally Posted by grouseman

Maybe start a thread here, or point me to your thread on RFC. Did you have pictures of the cocking ramp?
Thanks grouseman - probably easier to do something here rather than go way back to find that thread on RFC. I will take a couple of photos of the ramp and PM to you - maybe good to start a thread because there is some great knowledge/skill among the guys here.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Heym06
Also an 800A in 308. The 800 uses the trigger as the bolt stop, not the best design. It was free. Given to me years ago by a lady down the street, after her husband died. It shoots fair when you get used to the trigger. It's killed coyotes and deer since it's been with me.

I had one in 308 as well. It had very nice wood and was really accurate.

I had one, as well (308). Killed many critters with it, until it was stolen out of my apartment in ABQ. Shootin' son-of-a-gun.
I had an 835 once. That thing was a heavy sob. I sold it. Glad i did. Never again will i buy a mossberg.
Originally Posted by joken2
None now but I have owned two Mossberg firearms over the years -- a model 472 lever action in 30/30 and a 500 in 20 gauge . The 500 was a older model with single pump guide rail. Didn't keep either very long.

The 500 20 gauge was already well used when I bought it ($50) and turned out to be a real dud. No idea why but for some reason it wouldn't kill a squirrel beyond 10 yards shooting cheaper low brass shells. I had to shoot more expensive high brass shells to kill anything and even then it was still 'IF'-y. Traded it off for something else.

Simply couldn't 'warmup' to the 472, got rid of it and went with a Marlin in 30/30 instead.

I rather like the traveling trigger on the 472/479 better than the Marlin 336, but I dislike the shape of the hammer, as it is taller/higher than the Marlin and can get in the way of some low mounted scopes. A few years back I bought a pair of 472s for the sons of the man who was managing my MILs ranch in CO. I had originally bought a pair of Marlin XS7s in 243 for them, but they wanted lever action saddle carbines and went I came across 2 of the 472s in as new condition I bought them and gave them to the boys. I understand that they tried to kill off every varmint on the ranch, plus a few deer too, before my Wife and BIL sold the ranch and the family moved on.

My 20 gauge 500 with the 24" rifled slug barrel is more accurate than either of my 20 gauge Remongton 870 with rifles barrels, but the 24" barrel is noticeably less handy.
There's nothing wrong with Mossbergs. I know they import an auto and I'm not sure how that gun is. But US made Mossbergs are solid. A bit unrefined, but otherwise reliable. My second shotgun was a New Haven 600 (a Monkey Wards branded Mossberg 500). 28 " plain barrel with a C-Lect shoke. Killed a lot of deer and some turkeys with it along with a bunch of squirrels. I got rid of when I somehow got convinced I could do better. All I ever did was more expensive, but never really better. Wish I had that gun back.
Mossberg 835
I looked at a 590 β€œRetograde” recently and really liked it. I’ve always liked the tang safety and alloy receivers on the Mossberg’s.
I killed a grandslam using a 500. I've had it for over 30 years.
Heard they were giving one away with every canoe purchase.
I own 8 or 10 of them. Mostly 500's. Gotta a couple old semi auto 22s.
I bought a rough beater patriot 6.5 crd 3 yrs ago. Surprised me how accurate it is, and have killed 4 buck, 2 does and 7 coyotes with it since. Just fired the last round of the first box of ammo.
3 of the 500s I owned are small youth models & rest beside my Mom, Daughter, and wife beds. .410s loaded with winchester personal defences ammo. My wife and Mom have both used theirs on coons and 1 coyote. Works for us.
Had a Mossberg pump shotgun once.
Maverick 88s and a few 500s over the years
Any Mossberg owners on the πŸ”₯?

I'm one of the admin at mossbergowners forum. I've owned multiple mossy's over the years.
Originally Posted by johna1

I'm one of the admin at mossbergowners forum.

Lmfao.
Originally Posted by Okanagan

Good friend has a bronze color fluted barrel Patriot in 308. With factory ammo it shoots into one jagged hole.

I’ve got a 410 pump I bought one Saturday morning for my dad at Gander Mountain on the used rack for 175 bucks. New in the box, some guy won it at a casino night and traded it off. He shot it twice at pecan tree pest before he passed. Somewhere I have a beat up 20 ga pump truck gun.
First gun was a Mossberg .22, something like a Model 340 or something. Bolt action, 7 shot magazine, peep sights. That was a long time ago, the only Mossberg I have now is a 590A1, about 5-6’ away full of 000 buck.
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Only one, O.F. MOSSBERG and SONS 640KD Chuckster 22WMR. Nice piece of walnut for a stock but it has a weird (to me) way of pointing.
It is pretty good as far as accuracy goes. WTBS, I probably haven't shot it in 20 years or more.

Those Chuckster's are shooters! I had one years ago and sold it. I looked for a long time for another one and finally settled on a Marlin 25MN instead.
Won a 500 12 gauge at one of the local bar raffles many years ago . A good gun and it is loaded!
I bought a Mossberg Patriot .350 Legend with a beautiful walnut stock last year. Works and shoots good.
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by johna1

I'm one of the admin at mossbergowners forum.

Lmfao.

True story.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

The 88's are really versatile hey mjbgalt?
I have a Mossberg 590 A1
Never owned a Mossberg, but when I was about 12 I wanted one, a single-shot bolt action .410, in the worst way. Dad said no. My son used them in the Navy some, 500's, and said they always worked well. When I was a kid a friend had a Mossberg .22 auto with the drop-down end on the forearm that I always thought was cool. Back in the '70's another friend had a Mossberg "Chuckster" .22 Mag that was the only other .22 Mag I ever saw that would shoot as well as my Anschutz.
I've noticed Model 500 wood forends do tend to crack right down the center of the the top groove. Mostly the full length. My New Haven 600 did that, and I've noticed it on others, including a new Retro model that wasn't even sold yet. It doesn't seem to hurt anything. Mossberg may do well to not make their forearm a wodden tube. Instead, cut a channel in the top grove to relieve the stress.

I like this YouTube channel. He's got good things to say about the lowly 500.

500 version of 20 gauge youth stock, still carry great for grouse and woodcock, 835 I used to goose hunt with, 3-1/2” never bothered me, now after shoulder replaced, 2-3/4 the limit. Lots of flying birds killed with both.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
My model 800 about 55 yrs ago. 308 caliber, crappy trigger but worked.
I've had a Mossberg 500 12 gauge for years. Great rugged shotgun. Also had a 100 ATR rifle in .30-06. Worst gun I've ever had, hands down. Broke 3 extractors in it. Probably only fired it about 40 times.
First gun I ever bought on my own was a Mossberg 500 12 gauge. That was in the early 80's. It served me well for many years and I still have it. I also have a 500 12 gauge combo with a slug barrel, a 500 12 gauge with a short barrel and an 835 3 1/2" for turkeys etc.... Not the prettiest or smoothest but reliable guns in my opinion.
340BA here, first rifle I bought on my own as a kid. Those 340’s and mossberg 22’s from that era are super accurate and under appreciated. Owned a 500 for a period of time also, don’t miss that one.
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

The 88's are really versatile hey mjbgalt?

Yup
© 24hourcampfire