Home
just that
What is that Sani Claus says?
Four feet eight and a half inches. The width of two horses asses! 😉
I grew up with O-Gauge.
Not sure about gauge but as far as scale goes I grew up building only 1:1…everything else is a waste of time. 😀
Now, this kin be taken two ways ok. When I worked on a rail road gang we were changing out 85 pounds per foot rail to 110, a heavier gauge. Or it could be the width the rails r separated. With a thread like this details are important. Other than that I know SFA about model trains you friggn nerd.
Lionel O gauge
N gauge is the favorite gauge of the future!

Bruce
Never been on a train but I have pulled a few.
When I was younger, as in no kids, house , wife and 2 full time jobs. I was into h.o. model railroading. Been eyeballing model railroader magazine at the grocery store lately. Something to do when it's to [bleep] to fish or shoot. Today being a perfect example.
It's O-Gauge or No Gauge.
HO, cuz I luv HOs
Originally Posted by hardway
Never been on a train but I have pulled a few.
Ohh wow I seen a strongman do that with his teeth at the iowa state fair
16. Low brass only.
S gauge all the way - American Flyer - two rails like a real train - proportioned to look real, not like a toy.
Originally Posted by Salty303
Now, this kin be taken two ways ok. When I worked on a rail road gang we were changing out 85 pounds per foot rail to 110, a heavier gauge. Or it could be the width the rails r separated. With a thread like this details are important. Other than that I know SFA about model trains you friggn nerd.

A rail has 3 parts.
The top is referred to as the "ball".
The thin part in the middle is called the "web" and the bottom is called thd "foot".

"Gauge" is the distance between two rails measured "web to web".
Standard "gauge" is four foot, eight and a half inches.
Check the standard width of the Roman chariot, 4' 8 1/2"!
The Roman road (iter) was wide enough for a two horse chariot. As draft vehicles and roads developed, everyone kind of adapted the width of the Roman chariot.
When the "railroad" concept came about, the "carriages" were pulled by teams of horses.
When locomotives came of age, the standard "Roman chariot" gauge, or 4' 8 1/2" was adopted.
Even today's highways are based on the same basic measurement.

So today's rail gauge is the width of two horses asses! 😉

No brag! Just fact!
HO, 1-87th. Best fit between reliable, pretty, and bulky.
Of course, my fave is 1-1 standard gauge.
O and 027. Same gauge (spacing) between the rails but 027 is 'smaller' in general appearance.

Dale
You think mee maw / pee paw local gun store prices are bad? Try mee maw / pee paw local railroad hobby stores.
LMAO
My aunt gave me a Marx train set in O gauge about 1959 when I was 8 years old.

I used the transformer as a power supply for electrical experiments, like running a Ford Model A spark coil.

That saved me a lot of money in batteries.

[Linked Image from 946e583539399c301dc7-100ffa5b52865b8ec92e09e9de9f4d02.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com]
Whichever gauge is printed on the tub of imitation crab meat
Have a friend who collects Lionel train stuff. Top floor of his house is dedicated to it…rooms fill of shelves, like a library…hundreds of train cars and accessories, all organized and cataloged. He once told me the collection was worth more than his (pretty damn nice) house. I could spend hours looking at that stuff and listening to him talk about it.
Grew up with "O" in Lionel and had loads of fun - stuff looked realistic to a kid - smoke pills for the stack and those loading/unloading cars. With the grand kids, HO has been the ticket, mostly due to all we can pack onto a 4x8 sheet.
There is a company here in the Rogue Valley in Southern Oregon called Micro Trains...

they use to be a customer of mine when I was with Pitney down here...

https://www.micro-trains.com/

They do N and Z scale model trains... they ship these items all over the world.. the two countries that are their biggest customers are Japan and Switzerland.... Germany is one of the top ones also..

This is expensive stuff, especially the Z Scale Trains...but this is really top shelf stuff...

I set up their shipping system back in the 90s...
No Idea what gauge it was. A hand me down, probably from the 1950’s. A big three rail track. All I remember is I damn near burnt the house down by leaving the transformer on unattended.
I’ve several boxes of HO trains and cars somewhere along with cars, track, etc. My dad bought it all for me as a kid - it was more his that mine though.
Ho gauge
O as a kid, N now....
HO. Have a closet with some in it. Enjoyed it as a kid....Back when kids enjoyed model airplanes, trains, RC cars, etc.
I never had a train set

Mama said get your ass outside and go climb a foucking tree, shoot some blue jays, go explore the phosphate pits.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I never had a train set

Mama said get your ass outside and go climb a foucking tree, shoot some blue jays, go explore the phosphate pits.

Yeah, I was told to go play in the damned traffic, had to walk 2 miles to find any.
When I was a pup, we had an American Flyer. I had my own generic train of about the same size.
When I was in my 20s I got an N scale. It was pretty neat, but somehow it disappeared. I guess my wife tossed it.
I have looked at a Z scale in a suitcase for many years, and it always seems too expensive. I think 1500-2000?
So if I win the lottery, Ill get one.
The kind they make outta 55 gal drums, pulled by a lawn mower at the watermelon festival.

#chuggachugga
© 24hourcampfire