Home
Next Week.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I don't have high hopes for a passing grade...

I prepared for failure though. smile

Y'all think it'll hold up?
I wish y’all the luck.

Will they do rolling brown outs?
Back up generators are fueled checked out ready to go no problem here. Rio7
Originally Posted by viking
I wish y’all the luck.

The official response from them is "No, the grid is fixed".

The general opinion is that it's not fixed, and not much has changed.
LOL... They even have a website to monitor the grid now. smile

Lotta good that'll do if the power is off... laugh

https://www.ercot.com/gridmktinfo/dashboards/gridconditions
Never lost power last time.
We didn't either. Rio7
Originally Posted by RIO7
We didn't either. Rio7

We wouldn't have but ERCOT contacted our electric co-op and told them they WOULD shut down in order to send power other places.

From what I gathered the co-op told them "No"... and continued to operate. Then the higher ups in ERCOT jumped in with both feet and said if they didn't it would be done for them...
Why?

What's coming?
Weak

Cold weather

Will go down
Originally Posted by RIO7
Back up generators are fueled checked out ready to go no problem here. Rio7
People are prepared this year. Last year folks were on autopilot letting the politico's and the leftist Greenies take care of them. They got a rude awakening. Fool me once ......

kwg
Got a whole house generator now. As long as I have natural gas I’m good.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Why?

What's coming?

Cold fronts bringing below normal temps for 3-4 days.

It's not so much how cold it gets, but the fact that it lingers below normal for extended periods in areas that houses and stuff weren't geared up for. I look for half of Texas to be in single digits for awhile. That will test the grid.
I was thinking the same thing. I ran my generator and changed the oil but still need to fill up my gas can.

I wonder if the "rolling brown outs" will be more widespread this time. I didn't lose power in 2021 but in 2011 my power was on 5 minutes every hour....I guess I got put on an essential power switch in between?
Maybe this time if they need to use rolling blackouts, they will avoid shutting down natural gas pumping stations.😂😂😂😂😂

That would be a big help!

Shouldn't laugh, but when all those smart folks, with big degrees, decided to eliminate
natural gas engines to pump natural gas and then use electric? Much of it provided by
gas?

Hmmm. Let's take two critical utilities and tie them together in a way that makes them
100% co-dependent

Then to not create procedures to protect pumping stations?

My Low-C public high school diploma could see that as.....Not good.
A blue collar, after making a much smaller mistake, would never get a job better than picking
fly shït out of sawdust.

And not having power plants enclosed?
Texas has warmer temps then the North. Obviously.
But much of the North gets highs that are very close to much of Texas, just not as much.
And we don't lose plants to over heating.

Much of Texas gets lows well below freezing, just not as cold, or as long.
To not build critical infrastructure to function in weather that can be expected, even if not often, seems.....negligent?
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Never lost power last time.

Our CO-OP dropped power for 4 hours last time.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Why?

What's coming?

It's not so much how cold it gets, but the fact that it lingers below normal for extended periods in areas that houses and stuff weren't geared up for. I look for half of Texas to be in single digits for awhile. That will test the grid.

Ya!
Definitely do not want to go through the 2021 experience again!That cost way to much time and money. This time I will shut the water off at the meter and I/ve invested in a LNG whole house generator.

ya!

GWB
Why?

What's coming?

I keep a couple 500 watt halogen lamps in the pump house. Kept the pipes from freezing.
I think they might be diverting some of the power to California.
If you are on a rate plan that passes spikes in price on to you, might be time to switch.
Power goes so does the NG. No way to move its power by you guess it.
Pipe in some hot air from DC?
Originally Posted by hanco
NG can be a problem. The Generac 22 KW I have can run on either NG or propane. If it were me I would keep 150 gallons of propane on hand. The last prolonged outage we had saw the NG go down with the electricity.
Originally Posted by Hastings
NG can be a problem. The Generac 22 KW I have can run on either NG or propane. If it were me I would keep 150 gallons of propane on hand. The last prolonged outage we had saw the NG go down with the electricity.

I've seen first hand that large demands on NG can drop pressure throughout the entire pipeline system, and everyone loses NG... eek

https://www.naturalgasintel.com/new-mexico-regulators-to-investigate-gas-delivery-failure/
Chinese Windmills good for Joe ..

Chinese Solar Panels Oh On Good ..

Gird having Problems with Balancing the Power Input .

100 acre Gas Fired Plants Very Very Bad to Predictable for Gird ..

Ha Ha We own all a your Politician's so easy we just Promised them Virtuous Green Heaven .

Soon as you say that their eYe’s roll back in Head and and they look like they’ve see God ..

Austin what S hit Hole of Stupid..

Soon all Texans be S hit Hole of Stupid..

Trust the Plan ..
Hanco: Natural gas distribution system needs electrical power to pump gas.
I wish y’all the luck.

That’s my opinion too Barry.
I wouldn’t trust those lying bastards any further than I could throw them.
I was without a power for a week during last year’s debacle. 😡
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I wish y’all the luck.

That’s my opinion too Barry.
I wouldn’t trust those lying bastards any further than I could throw them.
I was without a power for a week during last year’s debacle. 😡

It was several days down here.

The conditions and such were worse than when we had Hurricane Harvey.
I think we'll be fine. Think positive and enjoy the cool weather.
I know a guy that works for ERCOT and he says that nothing has been done to correct problems with the grid since last year.
Winter is coming again?

Seems like that schit happens every year.
I'll bet you use the Genny......
Originally Posted by victoro
I know a guy that works for ERCOT and he says that nothing has been done to correct problems with the grid since last year.

Fuggers need to be strung up. 😡
This was my biggest gripe with the Texas GOP when I lived there. The opening of the electric markets are all fine and good, but ERCOT needs to be pushed by the legislature to force its members to increase overall production capacity, especially as big as Texas's population has become. Solar and wind are fine and good, but with the closure of all the coal plants, Texas needs more nuke power plants. Especially with city utilities like Austin and San Antonio, embracing renewables all in, because they generate much more revenue for the city politicians to redirect into their friends pockets. Someone needs to be "the adult in the room", unfortunately no one politically in Texas wants to be.
"Back up generators are fueled checked out ready to go no problem here. Rio7"

Bullship! Generators are provided by ERCOT's contractors and they didn't have enough generators last winter to pump natural gas to the electricity providers. Nothing has changed since last year. All the natural gas suppliers should have dedicated generators on site year round.
Originally Posted by MD521
I think we'll be fine. Think positive and enjoy the cool weather.

Hahaha..

I’m betting on Freezer Burn ..

Hahaha ..

You kant make this S hit Up ..
Originally Posted by victoro
"Back up generators are fueled checked out ready to go no problem here. Rio7"

Bullship! Generators are provided by ERCOT's contractors and they didn't have enough generators last winter to pump natural gas to the electricity providers. Nothing has changed since last year. All the natural gas suppliers should have dedicated generators on site year round.

I think Rio means the generators at his ranch are ready to go.

As are mine. wink

Going to town tomorrow to fill my transfer tank with diesel as well.
There is no doubt that is what Blue was talking about. miles
We have All Staff Housing on demand back up generators, as well as all refrigeration and freezers.

All are diesel of which we have a good supply, the longest we have ever lost power for was when the dug up our Medina Electric under ground connection out by the county road, abut 10 years ago 2 day's.
Originally Posted by bobmn

Not all of them.

During the 2021 winter storm that knocked out the grid in Texas, NG remained undisrupted.
One cold snap and folks are already panicked..
Originally Posted by Stammster
Originally Posted by bobmn

Not all of them.

During the 2021 winter storm that knocked out the grid in Texas, NG remained undisrupted.

I guess I remember it much different.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16/natural-gas-power-storm/
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

If Feb. 2021 was any indicator, they'd better be.

The upcoming one isn't as harsh, but harsh is coming... sooner or later.
My power already went out last night for about an hour. I think they moved me from an essential to a non-essential circuit and tested it out.
I keep seeing the PUCT chairman (Peter somebody) on TV telling us they are fully prepared and ready for this........Until they aren't..
How is the grid holding up down there in flatland?
You 'all need a generator big enough.
Why?

What's coming?

Temps in the 20's.

LMAO
No Texan replies in an hour.

Think they all froze to death?
Power is still on, hope it stays on, but have whole house generator now.
Nothing exciting here except my work email doesn't appear to be working but I'm don't think that's a problem smile. Just cold!
There are 2 natural gas compressor stations 7 miles from here. The compressors are driven by natural gas turbines. All of the.places I have worked for the.last 40 years Our gas compressors ran off nathral gas we produced.
Big difference between the cold snap of 2 years ago versus current is that we have a breeze and no precipitation, so the wind turbines are producing. In addition, I think the gas plants and gas suppliers also got the message that their performance and unpreparedness was unacceptable.

2 years ago, ERCOT had suspended preparedness inspections due to Covid. Once again, we were reminded that self-inspection and self-governance leads to apathy.

With record growth in TX, every last megawatt matters. Infrastructure improvements always lag the demand.
Our electric company just announced rolling blackouts for us. First time ever I can recall that happening.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

NOT QUITE, BRAVE ONE.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Power is still on, hope it stays on, but have whole house generator now.
Does it run on natural gas?
I didn't leave anything to chance. I filled all my propane bottles and bought an extra Mr. Heater Big Buddy indoor rated heater. Fueled up all our vehicles. Stacked wood by the back door. Filled up a tote of water for the horses. Filled all my gas cans and moved my welder/generator to the back porch.

Also bought a fresh bottle of Knob Creek and Sazerac Rye. A man just can't take chances sometimes.
Nationwide power outage map.

Looks like back east is having problems.

https://poweroutage.us/
About 7 degrees F around me with a wind chill in the minus teens. Snowing sideways with real high winds. Should be a good evening to generate a lot of electricity with all the windmills in western NY state. At least I can rest assured they won't get put out of commission from ice. Did those windmills in Texas ever get upgraded with some de-icing technology?
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Did those windmills in Texas ever get upgraded with some de-icing technology?

I'm not sure they need to get upgraded. Does it make sense to outfit turbines that may only see icing conditions a few times in their lifetime? Or is the money better spent elsewhere? Adding de-icing, still doesn't resolve the lost capacity if the wind doesn't blow or the sun doesn't shine (in the case of solar). I think you'd be better off investing in readily dispatchable simple cycle dual fuel combustion turbines to make up for any lost wind, or solar power. The problem is, who pays for the stand-by power? With the current political climate, it's hard to even get investors for any project that has "fossil fuel" attached to it.

We need to value reliability as much as we value costs and the "green footprint". A reliable and diverse electrical infrastructure is what our goal should be.
Buddy of mine texted from MN, they were told to shut down all non-essential electronics and turn their thermostats down.

Sounds like they are out of unicorn farts too
© 24hourcampfire