Home
Posted By: blanket A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
My favorite is a 63 Winchester but do most of my shooting with an old 510 Remington. What's yours
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good enough.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Belgium made Browning SA-22.
Posted By: blanket Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
In my younger days I had 2 37 Remingtons that shot like that
Posted By: BigDogBoogie Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
My longtime favorite is a plain old Marlin 39A.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
CZ 455 for accuracy, Henry for most squirrel work, old Savage single shot for nostalgia.
Posted By: Infidel Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Sako P94S Finnfire
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Anschutz Savage Model 54 Sporter
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Weatherby 22 semi-auto tube fed. It has been my favorite for many years.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Blanket: I used to collect Winchester rimfires and have owned several Model 63's - they were fun to shoot/plink with.
I will claim three categories for my "favorites":
#1 = "accuracy favorite" = Remington 40-X
#2 = "fun favorite" = Marlin Model 39's
#3 = "small game/Varminting favorite" = heavy barrel Ruger 10-22's
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: EdM Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
One of Melvin's.

Posted By: Beaver10 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Winchester Mod 52, Zander that I bought here from Antlers.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

šŸ¦«
Posted By: hardway Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
I have about a dozen of those old single shot Remington 510 scoremasters. Haven't been in awhile but I was getting them for 40-50 bucks each at the gun shows. I've cleaned up about 5 of them and have 3 really good shooters. They made great first rifles for my kids and the original one my dad gave me, I had D&T'ed with a 4x scope on it. I love em and probably have enough to set up my future grandkids.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
I have several favorite 22ā€™s but if I could only have one I suppose it would be the vudoo
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]lenovo thinkpad keyboard issues
Posted By: cv540 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Ruger 10-22
Game, Set, Match

Cant think of a rifle thats more fun, more useful.
Originally Posted by Beaver10

šŸ¦«

I'be been tempted with two shops having the Browning and the Winchester for a grand...
Posted By: akpls Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Plain Jane used Marlin 60 I picked up at a show for $50. I topped it with an old Weaver K6 and proceeded to shoot Distinguished Expert with it on the NRA rimfire course.
Posted By: norm99 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Are those the browning pump
got a couple of them my grouse guns.

Norm
Posted By: Clarkm Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
My father bought an Iver Johnson model X in the 1930s.

I have bought a lot of 22s, and my favorite is Winchester model 61 pump.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by norm99

Are those the browning pump
got a couple of them my grouse guns.

Norm

SA-22 is the takedown semi-auto.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
39a
Posted By: paguy Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Remington 541-T
Posted By: haverluk Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Slightly upgraded CZ 452 American
Posted By: Phillip_Nesmith Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Kimber Hunter 22
Posted By: OGB Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
My "tri-fecta".
CZ 452
Marlin 39A
Ruger 10-22
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
For precision work it's my tricked out 10-22

And for goofing off, it's my Win 75
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Stainless Ruger American with a laminated thumb hole stock.
Saw it on the shelf, and couldnā€™t resist.
Every .22 I ever had, has always had a preference for certain types of ammo, but this thing shoots great, no matter what I feed it!
7mm
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Weatherby 22 semi-auto tube fed. It has been my favorite for many years.

Same for me.

I had always had a soft spot for the Remington 552 because it was my dads 22 growing up, but I bought a tube-fed Weatherby XXII last year and Iā€™d have to give it the nod as well.
Posted By: viking Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Winchesters, 69a, 74ā€™sā€¦pumps, levers.
Posted By: Pugs Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
I'm a bit of a .22 slut and has such have a bunch but I guess the two current favorites are a Martini MKII International

And a Model 52A Sporter from 1929.

But then that would be ignoring the new Anschutz 1712AV that will replace my other 1712 as my primary silhouette rifle.

Then there's the Cooper that they stocked with a piece of walnut my grandfather cut off the farm, and of course, the CZ455 FS that is so compact and accurate in the woods... So many fun little guns. I should enter a 12 step program to keep me from buying more. But a dozen more would be such a nice round number. grin
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Browning BL22 with a Burris FF atop.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Ruger 10/22
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Back in the Covid panic when everyone was buying black rifles like hot cakes, there was an ignored Marlin Mod 60 sitting at the end of the empty gun rack at Academy, $180. Sure is handy, accurate too.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Browning SA-22
Ruger 10-22
Posted By: justin10mm Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
My first gun was an old Marlin 25, open sights and missing the magazine. My dad, not being the brightest bulb in the box, thought it only shot .22 shorts. I spent years single feeding .22 shorts into that chamber. Once I got older and started figuring things out for myself I realized it would in fact fire all .22 ammo.

It wore several different scopes over the years. I eventually bought a new 7 shot magazine and catch for it. It was always extremely accurate even with crap bulk ammo. I shot lots of turtles, frogs and grasshoppers with that thing. I cleaned it up a few years ago and refinished the stock, now it wears an old Bushnell scope chief 4X. It's still to this day my only serious. 22 rifle.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
I like the older rifles.I have a Marlin 39a I bought back in 1975.I don't shoot it much anymore because the value has recently gone way up.Earlier this year I picked up a couple of Remington 552's.Those are awesome rifles.One is a 1975 model,the other is a 1980 model.Both were lightly used and shoot flawlessly.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: horse1 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
I bought a 541S someone had shortened to a 20" bbl off the classifieds here, it's easily the most accurate rimfire I own. As such, it's the one I've grabbed the most over the last few years.
Posted By: WMR Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Beaver10

šŸ¦«

I'be been tempted with two shops having the Browning and the Winchester for a grand...

Hate to lead a man into temptation, but those are great rifles. I've owned a couple of the Brownings. On average, I think they are better finished than the Winchesters. Each of mine was incredibly accurate for a sporter 22.
Posted By: rainshot Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Had an affair with a Model 52 for quite a while and traded it off in a fit of stupidity. I really like Remington M37's but don't currently own one. Pug's Martini looks great. Currently just a browning auto, Ruger RAR and shoot a Remington 513. Homely as it is it shoots good and is light. Love the Anschutz and probably will get a CZ or a Cooper.
Posted By: maddog Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
I had several, over the yrs., that I enjoyed. However, in the last 10 yrs., I love my little H&R Sportster break open single shot. I've shot almost 300 squirrels with that ole girl.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Itā€™s a tie for first between a Ruger 10/22 with a walnut stock and a24 inch barrel, and a Marlin 39D. A close second is a Browning T-bolt from the 60ā€™s. If the T-bolt was more accurate, it could easily edge out the other two for first place.
Posted By: Riverc Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
I like my .22 WMR CZ 512
As much as I like 10-22s the top of the receiver is awfully thin and scope mounting screws can strip out easily if torqued down too tight. I've had to fix a couple that did that.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22

Just sent one down the road. If I were still on the farm Iā€™d have kept itā€¦such a sweet little walking around .22.

Other than handguns, the only RFā€™s left are my Sako Quad, for its versatility and accuracy, and my Anschutz 141M .22 WMR because Iā€™ve had it since I was 16. Oh yeah, a Nylon 66 in (probably) the permanent custody of my youngest grandson.
Posted By: ingwe Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
I found myself without a .22 rifle for the last 10 years and felt I wanted a good one...prices on new and used 'good' ones became ridiculous...then I happened on the new CZ-USA 457 Premium....VERY impressed with it.

Posted By: wabigoon Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
The Stevens 22 auto my brother Jim had, and a Browning.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
I've had my Ruger 77/22 RS since 1987 and it's not going anywhere.

Picked up a Marlin 39A Mountie 5 or 6 years ago and it's another great rifle and a keeper.

Also have my father's first gun - an old Springfield single shot, but it's loaned out to my cousin to use teaching his grandkids how to shoot. It's worn and a little rough, but still functions just fine.

The Kimber 82 that Jesse James has in the Classifieds has tempted me a few times, but I'm resisting so far.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Nothing fancy here - these are both Marlin Model 80's. The bottom one is rebranded as a Sear model 42 but it's the same gun with a couple cosmetic changes. All the parts are interchangeable. I bought the Sears in high school in the early 60's. I found the Marllin used in a gun shop somewhere around '80.
Marlin made a bazillion of them, many rebranded for various box stores. They're very accurate.

Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
A Marlin 99M1 that my Dad bought for me when I was about 10 years old.

Ron
Posted By: pete53 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
two 22`s come to mind Marlin 39A & Ruger 10-22
Posted By: mart Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
While these two, a 581 Remington and a Marlin 39 are both tack drivers and a lot of fun to shoot, my Dadā€™s old Winchester 67 is still my favorite. Lots of grand memories.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
my favorite is the Golden Mountie 39A Marlin lever rifle. Next, and my most accurate, is the old Remington 521T bolt rifle. I picked up a nifty Ruger 10/22 last spring, a take down model that I have enjoyed shooting. Still have my Mannlicher stocked 10/22 that has killed so many squirrels. A recent find was a nice condition 70s Remington 578 pump.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Too many choices

Ruger 10-22.........Marlin 60........Marlin 39
Posted By: hookeye Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Have had a bunch over the yrs, a couple lower end Anschutz and Rem 541s. 1022s stock and modified.
Contender w match bbl blah blah blah.

Am done

Currently have 3 rimfire rifles.

Win 9422M.......magnum for varnints
Savage MKII TR.......target
CZ 455......tree rats

Eh, Id rather use my Buckmark pistol.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
The best 22 of all time was the Mossberg 46.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
My Browning BL-22 that was a gift from my mother.
Posted By: superlight17b Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Nothing fancy here - these are both Marlin Model 80's. The bottom one is rebranded as a Sear model 42 but it's the same gun with a couple cosmetic changes. All the parts are interchangeable. I bought the Sears in high school in the early 60's. I found the Marllin used in a gun shop somewhere around '80.
Marlin made a bazillion of them, many rebranded for various box stores. They're very accurate.

+ 1,My Dads Marlin 80-DL is my favorite,accurate and a pleasure to shoot.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
I have had a few. Now down to just one, the first one I bought myself. It's a Rem 582 tube bolt I got in 1983 at a gun show for $65 NIB. It wears a rare Burris Mini 4X w/AO made specifically for the .22RF. It is one damn accurate rifle.

A fun one was a Ruger 10/22 I found in a plowed field, having been run over by the tractor or plow gang. Only the receiver was salvageable, and the farmer didn't want it. I tricked it out with all kinds of aftermarket titanium innards and a stainless barrel someone had taken off another gun to install a bull barrel. Receiver scope holes were ruined, so I epoxied a ghost ring receiver sight on. It was hell on running ground squirrels and rabbits.

Rimfire tip: Get a spray can of a product called CorrosionX. It's meant for marine electronics, but when sprayed inside a semi-auto .22 action and allowed to dry, it repels all that powder residue and bullet lube gunk almost totally eliminating build-up. Don't use it every cleaning. Once a month if you shoot a lot.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
I like 22ā€™s. This is the only one that I have a handy picture of. I posted it in the rimfire forum yesterday. A Kidd build with Mask suppressor. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Winchester/Browning Model 52 Sporter

[Linked Image]

Fifty Yard Group:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wrapids Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by Mathsr
Itā€™s a tie for first between a Ruger 10/22 with a walnut stock and a24 inch barrel, and a Marlin 39D. A close second is a Browning T-bolt from the 60ā€™s. If the T-bolt was more accurate, it could easily edge out the other two for first place.
I still have a 60s T-bolt, which unfortunately is one of the salt-wood guns of that era - accurate, but badly pitted. And insult to injury, I also had a salt-wood Superposed, which I sold it because I couldn't bear to see the damage the salt did to the steel.
Posted By: aalf Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22

40-X......It's for sale......get a note from the bank......

Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Marlin Mountie

Posted By: slumlord Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
I pick 39a because I havenā€™t fired a since 19 and 74 and thatā€™s what all my Paladin friends say too
Posted By: BC30cal Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by Pugs
I'm a bit of a .22 slut and has such have a bunch but I guess the two current favorites are a Martini MKII International

And a Model 52A Sporter from 1929.

But then that would be ignoring the new Anschutz 1712AV that will replace my other 1712 as my primary silhouette rifle.

Then there's the Cooper that they stocked with a piece of walnut my grandfather cut off the farm, and of course, the CZ455 FS that is so compact and accurate in the woods... So many fun little guns. I should enter a 12 step program to keep me from buying more. But a dozen more would be such a nice round number. grin

Pugs;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day is a bit less wintery in your section of the world than it's fixing to be here and if it is that you don't have to travel far in it.

What I appreciate most about these threads is that we get to see that there are some really neat .22's out there - your top two are wonderful for instance - and that some of us are not alone in our addiction.

This is evidenced personally in a photo I took from a rimfire range day a couple springs back, though I did rotate some of them out since then because - well that's what I seem to do as well.. blush

[Linked Image]

Honestly as I was considering an answer to this post as "the" favorite I couldn't really come up with much other than the first 4 from the left? Maybe?

Oh and no, that wasn't all of them either of course because, well you know.. blush

All the best to you this Christmas Season.

Dwayne

Edit to add - from the left they'd be a Brno No 5, Lakefield Mk II,10/22 & Tikka T1X
Posted By: centershot Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Have other fancier 22's but this one is my favorite.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Pugs;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day is a bit less wintery in your section of the world than it's fixing to be here and if it is that you don't have to travel far in it.

What I appreciate most about these threads is that we get to see that there are some really neat .22's out there - your top two are wonderful for instance - and that some of us are not alone in our addiction.

This is evidenced personally in a photo I took from a rimfire range day a couple springs back, though I did rotate some of them out since then because - well that's what I seem to do as well.. blush

[Linked Image]

Honestly as I was considering an answer to this post as "the" favorite I couldn't really come up with much other than the first 4 from the left? Maybe?

Oh and no, that wasn't all of them either of course because, well you know.. blush

All the best to you this Christmas Season.

Dwayne

Edit to add - from the left they'd be a Brno No 5, Lakefield Mk II,10/22 & Tikka T1X
I like the one on the far left. BRNO?
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
My current favorite is a Ruger American stainless/lam target.

Have a SWFA fixed 10x42 scope on it.

Second favorite is a Winchester 67 with the grooved fore end. (fore runner to the 67A)

Virgil B.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Hawkeye;
Good morning my old friend, I trust you're not getting snow down in northern Florida and that you're well.

Yes sir, it's a relatively odd Brno No 5, most of which went to the Middle East as military training rifles and more or less died there. Any that survived seem to have gone to Australia or New Zealand, as they're the only other folks I've found who've seen one.

My better half bought it for my birthday what has to be nearly 30 years ago now and I restocked it one winter with some walnut boards I'd been given by a friend.

Despite it having a visible ring about 6" back of the muzzle, it'll give the T1X a hard run for most accurate in the safe.

Merry Christmas to you Hawkeye.

Dwayne
Same to you, BC.

I must say, you certainly know your way around stock making.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Marlin Mountie

Wow! What a beautiful picture.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Marlin Mountie

Yes it is. Mackay Sagebrush, like Sam Olson, has a gift when it comes to taking great photos.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Fun = Browning SA-22
Accurate = CZ 452 American
I have yet to shoot this one.

This Sako is a tack driver though.

Posted By: MadMooner Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Some very nice rifles, all.

My favorite to shoot- an old Stevenā€™s Favorite.

Most accurate- Tikka
Posted By: jeeper Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
My overall favorite is still a CZ 452 American. For the dollar it was quite the bargain.
Posted By: Caplock Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Tossup between Marlin 39A and Savage 29 pump. Surprised no one has mentioned Rem or Winchester pumps. I like my 61 but its too pristine to carry around.
Originally Posted by rainshot
As much as I like 10-22s the top of the receiver is awfully thin and scope mounting screws can strip out easily if torqued down too tight. I've had to fix a couple that did that.

Build off an AMT stainless receiver. Dunno who makes a steel 1022 clone these days.
A mini Savage 99 in .22 lr would be cool, or a Ruger #1 to smaller scale.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Ed, I have the exact same Weatherby 22 with an original period Weatherby scope.
Posted By: old70 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
My current favorite is a T1X with a can, it shoots bug holes with CCI suppressor ammo. I have an older 77/22 that shoots well with Winchester PowerPoint, I still have a brick or so of that from the original run, it doesnā€™t like the newer stuff so much. My FIL bought my kids each a .22 before their second birthdays, a pair of 513s. They are fun. I also have an M&P 15/22 for a plunger and understudy gun, but havenā€™t shot it much.

Old70
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Marlin Mountie

Yes it is. Mackay Sagebrush, like Sam Olson, has a gift when it comes to taking great photos.
Yeah they do. Living in Montana canā€™t hurt but they both have a great eye for photography.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Rem 582 that I bought while in Jr High about the mid 60s. Still wears the Herters 4x scope I put on it after I got married in the mid 70s. The thing was really accurate with whatever round Hodgdon was putting their name on back then, don't know who made it. Later the original Dynapoint was a favorite. Still beats out my 10/22 Deluxe for a squirrel getter.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Good enough I reckon.

But when I get serious....
Posted By: JPro Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
For general purpose uses, I like my Clark-built 10/22 with a simple 4x Nikon. It often wears a suppressor.

For rifle practice, I like this Anschutz with its threaded 18" medium-weight barrel.

Posted By: horse1 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
I wish Kimber would make a SS Montana/Ascent rimfire 22LR/17HMR/17 WSM/22Mag with a tube feed through the recoil pad.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Tube fed bolt actions are the best.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Yep. Hard to beat the older Remington and Marlin tube fed versions.
Posted By: barm Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by Certifiable
I have several favorite 22ā€™s but if I could only have one I suppose it would be the vudoo
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]lenovo thinkpad keyboard issues
How much does it weigh?
Posted By: sandcritter Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Fun pictures! Wish had some on phoneā€¦.

Favā€™s in the rackā€¦ gosh, rare to meet a ā€œbadā€ 22lrā€¦.

Simple Rem model 12A is always a smile maker. The ā€œCā€ prettier, steadier, and yet the ā€œAā€ is what I grab. Winchester low wall is another. Just feel back in time. Marlin 1897 is so blasted neat but not as accurate - a hoot though. For shear utility, rain, the tikka t1x and a conquest 2-8x or 4x is it.

Have a original win 52A, 63ā€™s, a rem model 4 that have to strip and get into service. 22ā€™s in outbuildings, on and on. Try to be disciplined on centerfires, but an interesting 22 when found tends to come home.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
My single shot Winchester that I got for Christmas when I was a kid is sentimental favorite.
Got a couple of those. I have the very well made Taurus replica of the Winchester Model 63, and a Winchester 94-22. Both excellent rifles.

[Linked Image]

Fifty yard group.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
I have a Remington 541-T with a Burris 3-9x32 Mini scope. It's a very accurate 22lr. rifle.
Posted By: fgold767 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
10-22
Posted By: wabigoon Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Ther's a Cooey locked up in Wabigoon, BC30cal sold me.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
So many excellent 22LRs. I have have had a few.
1 -- Browning Pump -- bought by Mom for Dad on his 19th birthday in 1948. I inherited that . Real tack driver.
2 -- Browning BL22. Real tack driver.
3 -- CZ 453 -- set trigger -- which I never used. Routinely cut the staples out of the target.
4 -- Ruger 1022 -- if you don't have one, you need one.
Posted By: GeorgeLa Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Iā€™ve been giving my .22 rifles away to young shooters. Win 69A, Win 06, Rem 34 so far. Will keep my Nylon 66 (first .22) as last one to go about the time I do.
Posted By: DMc Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Old school Rem 121 Fieldmaster.
My dream rifle as a young kid. I spent crazy amounts of time gawking at a similar one at the K-Mart and Meijer sporting goods section while my mom shopped. I dreamed of hunting squirrels and rabbits, killing starlings and other pest with one. My first rifle was a Ruger 10/22 that didnā€™t look as cool to me at the time. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by DMc
The Fieldmaster was my first real firearm. I sold it to my brother back in the 1990s. He still has it.

[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22

Agreed. Back in the 70ā€™s my cousin had a Glenfield-badged Marlin 25 that we shot a lot. Havenā€™t seen one in years. I did find a Marlin magazine-fed version but hand-loading the mag was a pain. Still keeping an eye out for the tube fed version.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
This 10-22 takedown probably gets used the most.

Feature ridden.

Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Here are the ones I shoot the most .

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Winchester Model 47 Target
Posted By: cra1948 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Next, and my most accurate, is the old Remington 521T bolt rifle.

A great, great rifle.
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn

[Linked Image]
What are they?
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Next, and my most accurate, is the old Remington 521T bolt rifle.

A great, great rifle.
I've got a 541-7 Remington bolt gun that's amazingly accurate.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
I have 4 22 lr rifles right now. My favorite of what I have is a CZ 452.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I have 4 22 lr rifles right now. My favorite of what I have is a CZ 452.
I like CZ products. My only CZ 452 is a 22 magnum. Nice rifle but it doesnā€™t shoot all that well. That seems to be the exception to the rule. My CZ 527 6.5 Grendel doesnā€™t shoot great either. Iā€™m not sure if I got two bad ones or what. I really like the rifles but both hold around 1.5 MOA.
Posted By: hanco Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Marlin bolt
Posted By: Pat85 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
My favorite two.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Evnin gents, my most accurate 22 is a rem 581 left hand. Bought it in the 60s along with a rem 788 in 6mm. Only have the 581 now. The action is threaded & has a bbl off of a win 52 target with a Burris 3-9 mini with the extra cross hairs. Very acurrate!!! Just a smidge more accurate than my new t1x left hand. Oops I have the grand kids tc or smith & Wesson break open 22, all 3-1/2 lbs of it. Wished I had that when trapping all those yrs ago. 22s are usually our first rifle & are remembered fondly just like our first girlfriend. Oh crap, still got Dads old cooey single shot. Lots of rats & beaver, some otter & fisher too died from a well placed bullet. Dad filed the trigger on it, no it's not safe but if ya only load it to shoot it's just a little tickle. GWP. šŸ¾šŸ‘£šŸ¾šŸ‘£šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦
High on my list of donā€™t haves but really want is a 22 short chambered gallery gun.
High on my list of donā€™t haves but really want is a 22 short chambered gallery gun.
I used to have one of those. Cool little guns. An 1890 in .22 Short like the one in the below picture.

[Linked Image from montywhitley.com]
Always wanted a Remington m12 gallery 22. I had a winchester m61 I liked. Another one of those regrets. I let it go.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Remington 541-S That I bought new in about ā€˜78. Iā€™m still figuring out what ammo a Remington 547 likes best. I put one of my CMP 40-Xs in a beautiful fiddleback, varmint type stock and itā€™s really fun watching the bullets drop into the target when I shoot it at 100 yards.
Posted By: DMc Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by DMc
The Fieldmaster was my first real firearm. I sold it to my brother back in the 1990s. He still has it.

[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]
Was my first too. My grandparents owned a small farm in Lipan TX, and I roamed every acre of it with my 121. Looked exactly like your picture. Many a fond memory.

Funny story: Once took my sister for a tour around Ma & Pa's place. Saw an Armadillo and took a shot at it as it was scampering off. Shot the poor things nose completely off. The bugger started doing backflips and running in circles. Put on quite the show until I could dispatch him with another shot. Ruined my poor Sis as a hunter. She kept yelling OMG, OMG, poor thing! (Never to go hunting again for her)
shootin' squirrels or rolling tin tin cans

Either way........Marlin 39.......
Posted By: boatboy Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Man what a tough question

I think there are atleast 10 ways to answer

I think it depends on the mood and what you are doing that day

So many cool 22s
From 79 bucks to unlimited
A Browning A bolt
To a CZ
To a Begara
To a 39
To a model 60
And donā€™t forget the king of modifications the good old 10-22
Hank
Posted By: MPat70 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by centershot
Is that the Stevens 15
Got one of these for the frugal side of me

Screw a can on if you wanna really go rouge

Dame thing shoots lights out !

$250 delivered

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=45110
Posted By: MPat70 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/21/22
My favorite is by far the Stevens 15a for sentimental value. Plus it's dang accurate.

My Henry Golden Boy is more accurate than I am and fun to shoot.

My go to is the old Mossberg 702. I have a cheap scope on it and it is my squirrel gun, snake gun, turtle gun, all around truck gun.

Another fun to shoot is my AR-15 with the. 22lr conversation kit. Not the most accurate but fun. My 6 yr old granddaughter just has to shoot it everytime she visits.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/21/22
I used to have one of those. Cool little guns. An 1890 in .22 Short like the one in the below picture.

Thatā€™s badazz. Iā€™m a sucker for history when it comes to guns. Picking up a rifle like that and imagining all the hands that held it at carnivals during a bygone era would be beyond cool.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/21/22
Iā€™m a sucker for history when it comes to guns. Picking up a rifle like that and imagining all the hands that held it at carnivals during a bygone era would be beyond cool.
I agree. It was fun owning it. I owned it for about 25 years. Shot it occasionally.
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/21/22
I have 4 22 rifles
1. Ruger 10/22 deluxe with a 3/4 Redfield 4x
2. Ruger 10/22 stainless/laminate
3. Marlin 39 with a 3/4 Redfield 4x
4. Remington 11 nylon
Don't shoot them too much anymore
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/21/22
Kimber Hunter.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/21/22
My dream rifle as a young kid. I spent crazy amounts of time gawking at a similar one at the K-Mart and Meijer sporting goods section while my mom shopped. I dreamed of hunting squirrels and rabbits, killing starlings and other pest with one. My first rifle was a Ruger 10/22 that didnā€™t look as cool to me at the time. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I wanted one of those so bad when I was a kid, but didn't get around to buying a 66 until the 90's, and they had stopped production by then.
Posted By: MickinColo Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/21/22
Had a friend who owned a 66, they were very cool back in the day. I borrowed My dad's Savage 7A until I bought a 94/22 in my mid 22s. (He wasn't using it)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc].
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/21/22
There's a cool factor to the older 22s and I've got a couple but for an all around versatile 22 that's stood the test of time, IMO it's hard to beat the 10-22. It's been in production since 1964 with over seven million made and the basic model has always been relatively affordable. I've owned several, some modified and other than a trigger job some not. Still have two and enjoyed them all.
Posted By: Ironmule Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/21/22
Marlin 56 micro groove pretty cool.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/21/22
Every man ought to have, among his many assorted rimfire rifles, some 22LR.

Posted By: wabigoon Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/21/22
Welcome to the 'fire!
Posted By: Remington40x Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/21/22
Small frame Greener Martini take-down. It's backup is a Walther Sportmodell with the Olympic style stock. And then there's the BSA Model 13 and a couple of others, including my father's Remington Model 33 which I can't really shoot anymore as my eyesight won't permit using the iron sights and there is no provision for a scope mount or a peep sight. That one is going to my oldest son, who has good eyes.
Posted By: Huntz Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Good enough.
Hey ,I thought you did not use rests to shoot?
Posted By: cs2blue Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/21/22
Remington 510 made in 1940. I have killed at least a hundred critters with that gun.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/21/22
I didnā€™t have a ā€˜goodā€™ .22 ever really until I bought first a cz455 and said Dam*! Then I bought my daughter a cz452 from Makay Sagebrush here on the Fire. Now we both say dam*!
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn

[Linked Image]
What are they?

Tactical Solutions X-ring . One has a Vortex 2x7x33 and the other a Leupold 2x7x33 .
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by cs2blue
Remington 510 made in 1940. I have killed at least a hundred critters with that gun.

I call that June 1st......
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Yeah, but these guys "office" isnt covered up with varmints.
Posted By: blanket Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Yeah, but these guys "office" isnt covered up with varmints.
Not many folks have a scabard on the tractor, A truck rifle a barn gun a mudroom gun and one on the utv, but some of us do
Posted By: SenderoMan Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/22/22
Have to say the pair of Remington 541T's are my favorite. One heavy barrel, one standard.
Posted By: SS336 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/22/22
My good .22 rifle is a Kimber K22 Classic.
It will do anything a .22 rifle is asked to do from small game to serious target shooting. I have had a lot of .22ā€™s but this is truly best one I have owned.
I have owned it for over 20 years and it still amazes me some times.

Posted By: CaliRN Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/22/22
513T, bought one for shooting squirrels, then bought 5 more for the kids. Have an Anschutz target rifle that sits in its crate.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/22/22
Remington 581 or marlin 60 thereā€™s a savage 24 22lr/410 in the house wifey claimed to kill a crow with so I have to borrow it now
The Ruger 10/22 is my favorite
Posted By: earlybrd Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/22/22
Son has a short barrel Rossi pump thatā€™s hell on chickens come pluckin time weā€™ve never been able to group it beyond 20yds
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/22/22
Lowest cost, best all purpose, out of the box, that will take a beating and keep on ticking for me is the Ruger 10 22. Customize if your needs are same hole accuracy. GW
Posted By: David_Walter Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/22/22
I have a 10/22 with Kidd upgrades that I like a lot, I also have a Bergara BMR (micro action) with a can that's a lot of fun.

I have an old 9422, my son has one of the laminated 9422s, my wife has a 9422 I bought of of this site, my daughter has a Henry 22 lever action.

On top of multiple Ruger SR22s, SIG P322s and a Glock 44.

The older I get the more I like 22s for fun shooting.

20-30 years old Big gun was a 470 nitro, one 22 pistol
30-40 years old big gun was a 375 H&H, one 22 pistol
40-50 years old big gun was a 300 Win Mag, multiple 22 pistols
Now big gun is a 308, many 22 rifles and pistols
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/22/22
Have a 10/22 with Dan mods that does OK.

Have a Contender that I use when I want to kill something.
Posted By: Firecontrolman Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/22/22
I have a JC Higgens semi auto my dad left me and a Marlin M60 I got as a teen. Neither are really favorites but the Higgens was a favorite of dadā€™s. I always told myself Iā€™d get a decent bolt action rimfire to practice with but it keeps getting put off. Maybe someday
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by SS336
My good .22 rifle is a Kimber K22 Classic.
It will do anything a .22 rifle is asked to do from small game to serious target shooting. I have had a lot of .22ā€™s but this is truly best one I have owned.
I have owned it for over 20 years and it still amazes me some times.

They were known for first rate, top grade, .22 rifles.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Son has a short barrel Rossi pump thatā€™s hell on chickens come pluckin time weā€™ve never been able to group it beyond 20yds
I used to have that very same rifle. Same barrel length, too.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/22/22
This

So many variations in 22LR rifles

It's purpose ?

Squirrels high in an oak tree ?

Punching paper ?

Rolling tin cans at the landfill ?

Teaching a new shooter ?

My three owned favorites

S&W M&P 15-22

Marlin 39(s)

Marlin Lam/SS 60

Even my now 93 YO MIL luved my Marlin 60

Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/23/22
Browning BAR topped with a FF II 3X9. Bought it new in 1979, killed over 60 squirrels in the backyard off the bird feeders in the last year.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/23/22
my Marlin 39D
Posted By: carrollco Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/23/22
First .22 was a Win 68 I bought from a neighbor for $10. Still have it and grandfatherā€™s Win 69 with the finger grooves in the stock. Said he bought it from a hardware store for under $3 way bay yonder. Have several and use to ride on bikes to Warfield Point on the Mississippi River to shoot turtles, snakes and feral dogs. The farm manager on Refuge would furnish shells to protect his calves fro from the dogs. My lates joys are a CZ 452 with a Vortex scope I traded my youngest a Win 320 for. I love it. Very accurate; almost as accurate as the Win 52 D I used in 3 position competition while in ARNG. I also have a Ruger 10/22 with plain jane synthetic stock, Green Mountain fluted SS barrel and trigger job by the youngest son. Got an older 4X Leupold on it. Itā€™ll group dime sized holes at 25 yds with 10 shots if I do my part.
Posted By: tdbob Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/23/22
Remington Nylon 66.
Posted By: Limapapa Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/23/22
Winchester Model 75 Sporting with Weaver J4 scope for fine work. My barn gun is a Marlin Model 60 with a Weaver J2.5
Posted By: ratsnakeboogy Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/23/22
My favorite is a Remington 510 TargetMaster single shot that my grandma bought my grandad for $5.00.

The most accurate.22LR I own is a Marlin Model 25 that my parents bought me from Service Merchandise when I was 12. That gun will outshoot the .22s that Iā€™ve bought for much, MUCH more money, it just kills stuff. Not ammo picky at all.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: A good 22 rifle - 12/23/22
Grew up with a Rem 514 with cheap 4x scope on top. Now have a suppressed LH Rem 581 with Leupold 4x on top. Nothing fancy. Just works.
Posted By: Fxs Re: A good 22 rifle - 01/09/23
Marlin 39A " Golden Mountie" best ever !
Posted By: killerv Re: A good 22 rifle - 01/09/23
Originally Posted by MPat70
Originally Posted by centershot
Is that the Stevens 15

looks like a savage/steven 120, I had one, really accurate.
Posted By: killerv Re: A good 22 rifle - 01/09/23
I have more 22s than I want to admit to, everything from win 1890s, 63s, marlins, mossbergs, remington 541t, tikkas, dont now how many 10/22s... etc, etc....but my go to and would be my last to sale is my Winchester model 320.
Posted By: Partsman Re: A good 22 rifle - 01/09/23
I have at least 54 or more 22 rifles, I have 1890ā€™s, 1903ā€™s 61, 62, 63, Rossi 63 copy, 1906ā€™s browning SA-22 short and long rifle, 4 10/22ā€™s also 2 10/22 takedowns, 4 Winchester model 490ā€™s, Winchester model 77, 3 Ruger 77/22ā€™s one in 22 one in 22 hornet and one in 22 mag,
Oh and a marlin model 60 that I got when dad passed and his model 67, not to mention a mossberg in 22 mag and a cil/anschutz in 22.
Not sure which is my favourite.
© 24hourcampfire