Home
Gentlemen, Have a Weatherby Vanguard I really like but it needs to be bedded and barrel floated. I have never done either. Anyone know a good gunsmith in the Huntsville, Ala area that can do this? Thanks
Huntsville, no. The guy I use is in McCalla. But I also live on the opposite end of the state from Huntsville so I'm not familiar with who's worth a damn in your area.
If you can't find one then now it's the perfect opportunity. Larry at Midway has a great step by step video of glass bedding.
Bradford Pistol and Pawn used to have a guy that did good work. Give them a call Shop is in Athens AL.
I have done two Vanguards a couple years ago. They each had a hell of a speed bump near the front of the stock.

I wrapped some sand paper around the appropriate sized socket wrench and removed the offending wood. They were each appropriately floated at that point. I wiped a little tru oil over the raw wood to seal it from moisture.

Then the actions each got bedded with a little acra glass from the local hardware store. One kit was plenty for both rifles. It really is not that tough.
At my age, do not think I will be buying any more rifles, so this will be the last one needing it. Rather pay someone who knows what they are doing, rather than take a chance on messing it up. (I can mess up the moving parts in an anvil)
Tooter Merideth at Merideth Rifles in Athens or Pitts Precision Rifles in Taft TN.
© 24hourcampfire