Home
Posted By: DANNYL Prime rib ???? - 12/25/22
We're having our Christmas dinner on the 28th and 1 of the guest bought the prime rib. I repackaged it today so I could keep in fridge and not have to freeze and so liquid in the vacuum sealed bag wouldn't sour the meat. I cut about a 2 pound piece off an end and there is no marbling to speak of and I cooked it to med rare starting at 450 for 15 minutes then dropped to 325 till thermometer hit 140, it ended up to tough to eat. Does anyone know of a way to cook this to make it chewable. I will be using the oven. I'm thinking just go pick out my own and maybe smoke what I have next summer or turn it into hash. Thanks
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/25/22
A lot of the "Prime Rib" that they are selling isn't prime grade beef. Biden Claus screws us six ways to Sunday.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/25/22
Soak it in Worcester 3 days and refer to recent 24 hr Campfire prime rib thread for cooking.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/25/22
Originally Posted by kaboku68
A lot of the "Prime Rib" that they are selling isn't prime grade beef. Biden Claus screws us six ways to Sunday.

This is my guess too.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/25/22
Post is "With all the Prime Rib roasts being bought by the Fire guys" 24hourcampfire.com
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/25/22
Take it out of the package rinse and pat dry then place it in the refrigerator to “dry age” until your ready to cook. 7-10 days if possible. You can cover it with cheesecloth so the outside doesn’t dry out but it’s not necessary, especially for only a few days.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/25/22
Originally Posted by DANNYL
We're having our Christmas dinner on the 28th and 1 of the guest bought the prime rib. I repackaged it today so I could keep in fridge and not have to freeze and so liquid in the vacuum sealed bag wouldn't sour the meat. I cut about a 2 pound piece off an end and there is no marbling to speak of and I cooked it to med rare starting at 450 for 15 minutes then dropped to 325 till thermometer hit 140, it ended up to tough to eat. Does anyone know of a way to cook this to make it chewable. I will be using the oven. I'm thinking just go pick out my own and maybe smoke what I have next summer or turn it into hash. Thanks

You cooked it to 140.
Cook to 115 to 120 for medium rare, let rest. 140 if too hot.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/25/22
Alton Brown says pull at 118 for medium rare. I like it that way, but some of the fam thought it was too rare.

I am pulling it at ~120 today.

Aged it 8 days in the fridge. 6 bones. Peanut oil, salt,, pepper, rosemary.
Posted By: mathman Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/25/22
How much will med rare help with no marbling?
Posted By: Woodhits Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/25/22
I reverse sear them-- cook them at 225-250 on a smoker (or oven) until the internal temp is 105-110. Let it rest for 30 minutes then put it back in at 500 for ~10 minutes to sear/char the outside. This year I'm doing USDA Prime so I am going to be extremely careful not to overcook it.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/25/22
118-120 for med rare, then cover and rest, it will continue to cook while it rests. I let mine rest a couple of hours then stuck it in the oven at 500 for 10 minutes to get a nice crust right before we ate.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/25/22
Originally Posted by mathman
I did one Prime and one select and they both came out great.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/25/22
A Traeger is a nice cooking tool to have. You can use them in the cold too. Right now its about -10F and the Ribeye Roast has been going for about an hour.[Linked Image from i.ibb.co] It has about another hour and half and when the interior temperature reads 125F then I will take it out and probably sear it in the broiler inside (even with the blanket it would be neigh impossible to get it up to 500F). We will see how it turns out but generally the Traeger does a pretty great job.
Posted By: hardway Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/25/22
I like mine from 115-120…. Then I wrap in foil and stick it in a cooler for about an hour to rest.

Mathman is right though…. Proper cooking ain’t gonna change the quality/grade of meat….. You said you’re cooking on the 28th? Go buy a better one tomorrow and use the “gifted” one for fajitas or something …. Should be good sales tomorrow…. The gift giver ain’t gotta know 😉
Posted By: old_boots Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/25/22
Prime rib... this is how the boss does it :

take roast out of fridge at least 1 hr. before cooking.

apply pepper and garlic.

preheat oven to 500º.

Brown for 10 minutes.

Turn oven down to 375º and cook 45 mins.

Shut off oven - DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR !

*** Amount of time before you plan on eating. ***

(For small roast - 45 mins.) up to 4 lbs.
(For large roast - 60 mins.) 6+ lbs.

Turn oven on to 375º.

Check meat temp. rare 140º F, medium 160º F

Let rest 15 mins.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/25/22
As you already know, you need to start with a piece of Choice or Prime beef. I suspect your friend went super cheap and bought a piece of Select, or worse yet, a grade that only the store he bought it from uses.
No way to fix it. Garbage in and garbage out
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/25/22
I'm just going to get my own, won't mention nothing and use this tough stuff in meat sticks or jerky.
Posted By: Huntingfool270 Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
Originally Posted by Woodhits
I reverse sear them-- cook them at 225-250 on a smoker (or oven) until the internal temp is 105-110. Let it rest for 30 minutes then put it back in at 500 for ~10 minutes to sear/char the outside. This year I'm doing USDA Prime so I am going to be extremely careful not to overcook it.
Did it this way in the oven at 200 degrees pulled it out at 120 degrees let rest for an hour under foil on the counter then put back into a 500 deg oven for about 10minutes and pulled it out when I saw the desired color on it. Was cooked evenly pink all the way through and I think was much juicier than years past when we started hot and then cooked low
Got the instructions from lawysathome.com
Only negative was a lack of enough juice in the pan to make a gravy with. It all stayed in the roast. Family agreed it was how they want me to cook it again next year.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
Bound to be 10x better than any nasty piss soaked rutty deer meat.

Even if it’s horse whipped grade
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
Lots of butter and Lipton onion soup mix. Sear on 50 for 15-20 mins lower to 325 till it gets to 135. I like pink all the way through. Can of consume mixed with the dippings from the meat for au gu and gravy. Omg it’s making me hungry.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
The best I have found so far:

Best Prime Rib Method

Little to no gray meat. Consistent color throughout. I also brined mine this year. Don't know if it helped, but it was very juicy.
Posted By: UpTop Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
Originally Posted by Woodhits
x2
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
[/quote]

You cooked it to 140.
Cook to 115 to 120 for medium rare, let rest. 140 if too hot.[/quote]

I agree, and then take it out and cover it with foil and let it rest for 15 to 30 minutes. It will continue to cook and be at what you're looking for. Pulling it at 140 degrees is too hot and it will be overdone and tough. JMHO
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
I'd take that low grade prime rib and grind it for burgers. Should make for some great eating, provided there's enough fat there.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
There were 4 remaining "On Sale" rib roasts at Food Lion (only grocery store we gots)... on Christmas Eve... marked "Sell by December 26".

I could have video the fight this AM for the 1/2 price mark-down to $3 a pound and make TikToc viewership money...

Walkers and canes will be flying... The blur of blue hair... The smell of Aqua Velva and Vick Vaporub

Think I will drink coffee instead.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
Really?
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
This is for a 5-6 pound rib roast:

I coat it with olive oil, Montreal Steak seasoning, and Lawry’s Seasoned Salt.

Let it sit uncovered on a rack over a pan in the fridge anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

Pull it out, and let it sit at room temperature for 2-3 hours. By starting it at room temperature before cooking it, it will cook more evenly throughout the roast.

Turn on one of the three burners on my Weber grill (either one of the end ones).

Adjust the burner so that it settles at 180-deg or 200-deg (how to get it to do that depends on the outdoor weather).

Place the roast on the far side opposite of the lit burner (i.e., indirect heat).

I either do 180-deg for about 4 hours or 200-deg for about 3 – 3-1/2 hours.

I take it off when the meat thermometer is at 120-deg.

It comes out perfect.

I don’t rest it.

If my visitors are going to be late or I have to delay for any other reason, and I know that before it’s done, I can drop it down to around 150-deg, and it will last a long time without exceeding medium rare.

I don’t sear it.

There have been actual semi-scientific experiments done to show, unsurprisingly, that searing doesn’t “locks in the juices”—it burns off the outer juices and can turn the outer meat into leather. In the experiments, people found that searing made a roast (or steak) lose more weight (i.e., juices) than unseared versions.
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
I inject a ribeye/rib roast with "The Cajun Injector Creole Garlic" 1/2 -1 oz per pound. A simple cajun dry rub on the outside. About an hour or 2 ahead of cooking.
I cook on grill in roasting pan from room temp at 500+ for 10-15 min, then turn down grill to 300 until internal temp at center of roast hits 115. Remove from heat and loosely cover/tent with foil for 20 min to rest.
The injected marinade tenderizes and helps "lesser grade" meats and enhances better meats.
Never a complaint and always loved!
Posted By: deflave Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22

So dude buys you a "prime rib" for the meal and you commence to repackaging it so you don't have to freeze it and the liquid won't sour the meat? And that entailed lopping off two pounds worth and cooking it improperly?

LOL

How in the fugk does all that work? I'd love to hear the logic.

I think the biggest question is why in the fugk he chose you to be the one that cooks the roast. You obviously don't know WTF you’re doing.

As an aside, prime rib is a standing rib roast that is prime. A standing rib roast is not prime. The reason it may not have the marbling you somehow determined it should have is because i'ts not a prime rib.

You're welcome,
Lord Flave
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
I'm just going to get my own, won't mention nothing and use this tough stuff in meat sticks or jerky.

Good move.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
Lots of rib roast recipes out there. I've tried lots of them and will continue but the one thing they seem to have in common, the best ones anyway, are the ones that tell you to pull it out of the oven at 115-120 and let rest. The remainder of the instructions amounts to details. The rub is more important than some of these cooking details.

You overcooked your slice, which happens very easily to a small such roast. I did a 4.5 pounder Saturday night and I was careful to pull it at 118, and let it sit for just ten minutes. You can't let the little ones sit so long either, ask me how I know.

My uncle made a massive rib roast yesterday, 14 pounds. Could have used a bit more cooking in my view, frankly. I don't think the inside ever got to 115 but his house, his deal.

This isn't hard. Cook to 115-120 and get it out of the heat and into a covered dish.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
It's way overcooked. 140 is shoe leather.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
My 120 produced medium-well on the outside slabs.

Good enough cause I got some tittie babies that dont like pink meat.

But 120 will come up fast and bite you. Just FYI.
Posted By: deflave Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22

Seriously.

Am I the only person that read this?

LOL
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
Originally Posted by deflave

Seriously.

LOL

The part where he knicked 2lbs off the holiday roast or where he was surprised when he pulled it at medium it wound up shoe leather after carryover?
Posted By: mathman Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I don’t sear it.

There have been actual semi-scientific experiments done to show, unsurprisingly, that searing doesn’t “locks in the juices”—it burns off the outer juices and can turn the outer meat into leather. In the experiments, people found that searing made a roast (or steak) lose more weight (i.e., juices) than unseared versions.

When I sear meat it isn't to "lock in the juices", it's to get the flavor that results from the Maillard reaction.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
Originally Posted by slumlord
My 120 produced medium-well on the outside slabs.

Good enough cause I got some tittie babies that dont like pink meat.

But 120 will come up fast and bite you. Just FYI.

Ha yes I do too. Its amazing how fast it goes from 100-120
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22

Prime Rib has nothing to do with grade.
It is a cut, the rib roast.

Can be prime, choice, select, un graded.

Obviously grade matters in quality, but a select grade rib roast is still
Prime Rib.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Prime Rib.

This. Deflave is FOS. Especially about Texas. See. That's proof. Thank me later. GOD Bless.
Last one I cooked was the cheap prime rib w no marbling on sale cheap from HEB.

Soaked in Worcester, a dash of red wine 3 days in fridge. Let get to room temp.

About 5 lbs, in 500 degree oven 25 min (5 min/lb), then turned oven off. 2-3 hours later, it was perfect medium rare, juicy and delicious.

So dude buys you a "prime rib" for the meal and you commence to repackaging it so you don't have to freeze it and the liquid won't sour the meat? And that entailed lopping off two pounds worth and cooking it improperly?

LOL

How in the fugk does all that work? I'd love to hear the logic.

I think the biggest question is why in the fugk he chose you to be the one that cooks the roast. You obviously don't know WTF you’re doing.

As an aside, prime rib is a standing rib roast that is prime. A standing rib roast is not prime. The reason it may not have the marbling you somehow determined it should have is because i'ts not a prime rib.

You're welcome,
Lord Flave

Oh lord, Cut the crap and tell us how you cook it then.

And refresh us on the oven chuck roast while you're at it. It was great. Near black on crust and maroon/pink inside. Juicy and delicious.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/26/22

Seriously.

LOL

I assumed he was talking about leftovers
Posted By: deflave Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/27/22
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Prime Rib.

This. Deflave is FOS. Especially about Texas. See. That's proof. Thank me later. GOD Bless.

Prime rib has everything to do with the grade of the cut being sold.

But I don't expect you two dumb fugks to grasp that.

LOL

And refresh us on the oven chuck roast while you're at it. It was great. Near black on crust and maroon/pink inside. Juicy and delicious.

STFU, retard.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Seriously.

LOL

I assumed he was talking about leftovers

How could you have leftovers before the 28th?
Posted By: Ella Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/27/22
Just did one last night. 6.6lbs, bone in.
Sear all sides in peanut oil in a cast iron skillet , salt and pepper, 200F for 3 hours, rest 20 mins. I like it rarer but to accomodate some guests, pulled it at 110F-ish.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Good meat doesn't need anything else.
Originally Posted by Ella
Sear all sides in peanut oil in a cast iron skillet , salt and pepper, 200F for 3 hours, rest 20 mins. I like it rarer but to accomodate some guests, pulled it at 110F-ish.

Pulled at 110 to finish at what?
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/27/22

I don't know but it's gonna be very rare.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/27/22

STFU, retard.

Hehehe. Tff.

Your dumbass can't remember the recipe. grin

Prime Rib.

LOL

Maybe if you don't know how to cook it.

Try re reading. Pulled at 110, let rest 20 min. Had dinner. Sheesh.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/27/22
Well I did my usual prime rib that I've been doing for 20 sum years I asked everybody how it tasted / how they liked it , the reply was... what ? you can do better than this ?... score!
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/27/22

Prime Rib.

You're wrong about this one, Dillon. All prime rib is standing rib roast; NOT all standing rib roast is prime rib.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/27/22
Originally Posted by what is prime rib
Prime rib is a classic roast beef preparation made from the beef rib primal cut, usually roasted with the bone in and served with a simple pan sauce made from its natural juices (au jus). The word "prime" is a legal designation that refers to the fact that the beef has been graded prime by the USDA. If the meat is not labeled as "prime" then it is simply a standing rib roast, or, if it is boneless, it is a rib-eye roast.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/27/22
Originally Posted by stxhunter

My select roast was tough. Bought from the same store in previous years. There is definitely something going on in the meat market.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/27/22
I don’t sear it.

When I sear meat it isn't to "lock in the juices", it's to get the flavor that results from the Maillard reaction.

Dude,

will you stop with those high falutin' big words (looks to be a Frenchy word too) no one except edumacated folks can read/pronounce and understand.

Sheesh even.

STFU, retard.

Hehehe. Tff.

Your dumbass can't remember the recipe. grin

You truly are a fugking moron.

It’s little wonder CockSocket is your buddy.
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE

Prime Rib.

You're wrong about this one, Dillon. All prime rib is standing rib roast; NOT all standing rib roast is prime rib.

Correct.

Try re reading. Pulled at 110, let rest 20 min. Had dinner. Sheesh.

It’s kind of amazing how fugking stupid you are.

Prime Rib.

LOL

Maybe if you don't know how to cook it.

The confidence is astounding.

LOL

Not unlike that dumb fugk rcmuglia.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/27/22
Gonna disagree.

Let your fingers do the Google,
you will find support for both arguments.
But more for it being a cut.

And that's all that matters.
I think it shouldn't have Prime in the name if it isn't.

But if packers disagree, you are gonna find non-Prime, Prime Rib.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/27/22
Gonna disagree.

A standing rib roast, also known as prime rib, is a cut of beef from the primal rib, one of the primal cuts of beef. While the entire rib section comprises ribs six through 12, a standing rib roast may contain anywhere from two to seven ribs.

Standing rib roast
BeefCutRib.svg
Beef Cuts
Alternative names
prime rib, beef rib roast
Type
Rib cut of beef
It is most often roasted "standing" on the rib bones so that the meat does not touch the pan. An alternative cut removes the top end of the ribs for easier carving.

Rib-eye steaks are cut from a standing rib, boned with most of the fat and lesser muscles removed.

While often referred to as "prime rib", the USDA does not require the cut to be derived from USDA Prime grade beef
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/27/22
Originally Posted by smarquez

My select roast was tough. Bought from the same store in previous years. There is definitely something going on in the meat market.

Select grade is low quality. Probably very little marbling, so no surprise it was tough.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/27/22
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by smarquez

Select grade is low quality. Probably very little marbling, so no surprise it was tough.
The 4lb select I cooked, I picked because it did have a fair amount of marbling.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/27/22
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I don’t sear it.

Dude,

will you stop with those high falutin' big words (looks to be a Frenchy word too) no one except edumacated folks can read/pronounce and understand.

Sheesh even.

The Maillard Reaction is rather simple (except to simpletons)

[Linked Image from cdn1.byjus.com]
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/28/22
Ohio, Nebraska, Hawaii?
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/28/22
It ain’t hard. I cooked an 11 pounder at 250 until the internal temp on the small end was 130. Then took it out and cooked it at five hundred degrees for about fifteen minutes. When done it went from medium on the small end, to medium rare on the bigger end, to something between medium rare and rare in the middle. In other words, it was pretty much perfect. About the easiest thing you can cook.

And mine was prime.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/28/22
I cooked one the 24th. First ever. It was in fact the easiest thing I’ve ever cooked. I’m thinking someone bought a non prime cut if they’re complaining or they overcooked it.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/28/22
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Well I did my usual prime rib that I've been doing for 20 sum years I asked everybody how it tasted / how they liked it , the reply was... what ? you can do better than this ?... score!

Gee thanks for the method details.
You don’t need a secret recipe. JFC
Gonna disagree.

A standing rib roast, also known as prime rib, is a cut of beef from the primal rib, one of the primal cuts of beef. While the entire rib section comprises ribs six through 12, a standing rib roast may contain anywhere from two to seven ribs.

Standing rib roast
BeefCutRib.svg
Beef Cuts
Alternative names
Type
Rib cut of beef
It is most often roasted "standing" on the rib bones so that the meat does not touch the pan. An alternative cut removes the top end of the ribs for easier carving.

Rib-eye steaks are cut from a standing rib, boned with most of the fat and lesser muscles removed.

While often referred to as "prime rib", the USDA does not require the cut to be derived from USDA Prime grade beef

This.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

I know I don't need one, but I just wanted one. smile
Posted By: deflave Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/28/22
Gonna disagree.

Standing rib roast
BeefCutRib.svg
Beef Cuts
Alternative names
Type
Rib cut of beef

Dillonfugk,

I understand that the term "prime rib" is used universally when referring to a standing rib roast.

And I would never in 100 years critique use of the term in a casual setting. I myself refer to it as "prime rib" when it isn't, simply because I don't want to explain to a bunch of fugking retards like yourself what a "prime rib" actually is.

But in the context of the OP, (who is being a snobbish kghunt about the roast that he was gifted) it is prudent to explain the difference so that his stupidity may be better understood by the masses.

"Prime rib", is a prime cut standing rib roast.

It's not debatable.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

I know I don't need one, but I just wanted one. smile

You can't even afford one.

LOL
Gonna disagree.

Standing rib roast
BeefCutRib.svg
Beef Cuts
Alternative names
Type
Rib cut of beef

This.
You’re gonna need a q drop by New Year’s Eve to come true or your street cred is gone forever. FOREVER
Originally Posted by RickBin
Alton Brown says pull at 118 for medium rare. I like it that way, but some of the fam thought it was too rare.

I am pulling it at ~120 today.

Aged it 8 days in the fridge. 6 bones. Peanut oil, salt,, pepper, rosemary.

Alton Brown is not a bad cook.

Let's see if eyeball can read the top left corner of this page:

https://altonbrown.com/recipes/holiday-standing-rib-roast/
Posted By: 79S Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/28/22
They key to a good cooked anything is the heat from a D9 cat exhaust manifold. I found a box of chimichangas one time here at the dump wrapped al 12 of them in aluminum foil 4 hours later hot delicious almost restaurant perfect chimichangas.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/28/22
This year I went with a standing 5 rib prime. Last year we did the same, except it was a 3 rib. Last year’s standing rib was the best eating rib we’ve ever had.

Using the same butcher, I asked to see 4 different standing ribs, so I could pick the one with the best marbling. To me they all had a large amount of fat vs meat. I picked the rib, so it’s my bad. Hindsight, I should have asked to see something with less fat.

The flavor was excellent, finishing the rib off @ 130* after rest.

Unfortunately, approximately 40% of it remained as fat vs actual meat.

I just finished cutting up the leftover 3 ribs into soup sized bites for the wife to make vegetable soup. There wasn’t much meat after trimming off the large fat sections.

I learned something this season. If you don’t want a higher % of fat to meat on a standing rib. Don’t pick one with more fat, dumb-ass!

This years 5 rib.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last years 3 rib.

Jeebus, after looking at both ribs. They don’t look all that different. Put the Scotch tumbler down, Beav. Sheesh 🙄!

🦫
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/28/22
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I don’t sear it.

Dude,

Sheesh even.

The Maillard Reaction is rather simple (except to simpletons)

[Linked Image from cdn1.byjus.com]

The Maillard Reaction requires heating the meat to 300-deg or more. So, you make the fat more-tasty, but ruin the surrounding meat.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/28/22
Gonna disagree.

Standing rib roast
BeefCutRib.svg
Beef Cuts
Alternative names
Type
Rib cut of beef

Dillonfugk,

I understand that the term "prime rib" is used universally when referring to a standing rib roast.

And I would never in 100 years critique use of the term in a casual setting. I myself refer to it as "prime rib" when it isn't, simply because I don't want to explain to a bunch of fugking retards like yourself what a "prime rib" actually is.

But in the context of the OP, (who is being a snobbish kghunt about the roast that he was gifted) it is prudent to explain the difference so that his stupidity may be better understood by the masses.

"Prime rib", is a prime cut standing rib roast.

It's not debatable.

Yup. People are entitled to their opinions, but not the facts. Prime rib must be, in fact, prime.
I can Google all kinds of chit that isn't true. I guess Al Gore didn't filter out all of the B.S. when he invented the interweb, way back in the day.
Originally Posted by 79S
They key to a good cooked anything is the heat from a D9 cat exhaust manifold. I found a box of chimichangas one time here at the dump wrapped al 12 of them in aluminum foil 4 hours later hot delicious almost restaurant perfect chimichangas.

Four hours would have turned those mofos into charredchongas!
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/28/22
Standing rib roast.

Grades have a continuum.

Select grade, you need a better job. Not Prime rib. Even high grade Select is low grade.

Choice grade, in-laws and friends. Not Prime rib but if you pick a good one it’s close. High grade Choice can be better than low grade Prime but you have to know how to pick them. I know how, this is the grade I buy.

Prime grade is Prime rib, close family only. Be sure to get mid to high grade Prime because it’s gonna cost you.

P
Pharmseller understands.
Originally Posted by 79S

I will admit nugget never had restaurant chimichangas. So I figured being a little charred was normal..
Standing rib roast.

Grades have a continuum.

Select grade, you need a better job. Not Prime rib. Even high grade Select is low grade.

Choice grade, in-laws and friends. Not Prime rib but if you pick a good one it’s close. High grade Choice can be better than low grade Prime but you have to know how to pick them. I know how, this is the grade I buy.

Prime grade is Prime rib, close family only. Be sure to get mid to high grade Prime because it’s gonna cost you.

P

Yeah $283 bucks that a lot of cough drops and 64 ounce fountain drinks..
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/28/22
Pharmseller understands.

He couldn't find his dick if it was in Burns' mouth.
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

I will admit nugget never had restaurant chimichangas. So I figured being a little charred was normal..

Kills off any bugs that might have been sniffing around. grin
Posted By: mathman Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/28/22
Oh shit.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Pharmseller understands.

He couldn't find his dick if it was in Burns' mouth.

You owe me a keyboard...
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/28/22
Sorry!
Pharmseller trashcans food youse guys slobber over.
Posted By: poboy Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/28/22
Trouble finding "standing" rib roast. At the store.
they are all just laying there.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Prime rib ???? - 12/28/22
Most all prime rib sold in restaurants is not prime grade. Despite the name, it doesn’t have to be.

Season the schit out of the rib the day before. Salt Pepper and garlic. Stick in the fridge uncovered overnight. Use a shallow sheet pan. No deep dish roasting pans.

Roast at 210-220 until the center is desired temp. I pull around 120. Throw some foil over it. Let sit for 30 minutes to an hour on the counter.

Heat oven to 550, put the roast back in for 5-10 minutes to brown and crisp up the outside.

Or buy an AltoShaam.

Slice and chow.
Standing rib roast.

Grades have a continuum.

P

Yes.
© 24hourcampfire