Home
I have 5 kids and we make a decent living. My kids have come to expect a bit much in terms of tangibles from Santa.

This year we all drew names and that person was the only person you were getting a gift for. The average $ spent was about 25bux each.

We actually had a better time than any other year. There was no complaining and lots of laughter.

One of my kids (13) needed money to buy her brother something. She didn't want to babysit the youngest (7) for a couple of hours....so my wife called the neighbor kid and gave the neighbor the 10bux she asked for plus a $50 tip.....my kids jaw hit the floor. She ended up hustling about 12 bux in the hood shoveling snow and made the rest of the gifts by hand.....fantastic life lesson.

I drew my oldest daughter (16 in a week) and she just wanted money. I gave her a gift certificate for a weekend with me anywhere she wants to go....not a thing that she doesn't need....instead, something she does.

I'm liking this....and I saved a few grand to boot.
Awesome................Congrats!!!!!
I'm all for kids learning life lessons

Trying to catch up on a few of 'em for my kids as adults.
I quit giving expensive gifts a few years ago when at my son's place for Christmas.

The presents around the tree wouldn't have fit in a U-Haul..

I watched them for 2 hours rip into one gift after another without even the slightest appreciation.

At that point, I just quit being an enabler.
Oh, I thought this thread was about you trying that great beer from Ska Brewing!

Never mind.
At 61 years of age, I have just about given up the whole gift thing. Most of us end up buying anything we want all year long. Some folks spend a lot of money they don't have on useless gifts people don't need. Even most children get everything they want all the time.

I'd rather spend time talking and share a good meal. I always said no one shops for me like I do anyway!!
There is a local family here and they are all gifted carpenters and craftsmen. They draw names at Christmas for the following year. They only rule is it needs to be handmade and they have a year to do it. They get and give some AMAZING gifts that were thought out and worked on for the whole year.
Father of 5, Grandfather of 9, we have discovered “home made gifts” a bunch’s of years ago. All the Grandkids get/make gifts for one other Grandkid…adults do same for the other adults. Then always a big feast at our home. This year a smoked an 8lb Prime Rib….yummy.
my son is at a point where he needs to start gearing up to be on his own

his gifts from me this year were tools - breaker bar, jack , deep well socket set and folding shovel to keep in the trunk of his car. A starter tool box to keep in the garage.

the daughter got the jack and breaker bar when she went off to college , this year she got an air pump where you put in the pressure number you want and it pumps the tire up to that.

last year she had a flat tire on the way home. She was about 4 hours away. A state trooper stopped to help her. He opened the trunk and saw a floor jack, a breaker bar with the 17mm socket on it and a full size spare in the trunk. He changed the tire for her. I had her do it at home but in the heat of the moment, on the side of the interstate, I'm glad she didn't have to try.

I got the state troopers name and wrote a thank you note to him.

Anyways we are probably guilty of buying too many gifts at Xmas, but the gifts we get now are gifts that get them started on life.

My daughter is big on painting, every Xmas she paints me a country scene - a barn, a field, etc. This year she painted my 8N in front of a smoker barn in a field covered in snow. She has talent.
Teaching a 7 y/o a life lesson by Santa not bringing him anything for Christmas? Check. Gifts for five kids don’t have to cost a couple grand. Can we at least have an extra lump of coal for the fire, Mr Scrooge? 😳
Originally Posted by 160user
There is a local family here and they are all gifted carpenters and craftsmen. They draw names at Christmas for the following year. They only rule is it needs to be handmade and they have a year to do it. They get and give some AMAZING gifts that were thought out and worked on for the whole year.

I have a fantastic machine shop set up for gunsmith work and would love to build my kids and grand kids rifles of their choice....but when it becomes an expectation....we need to do a reset.
Always wished we had done one where nothing was purchased. All hand made at home.
Originally Posted by KFWA

his gifts from me this year were tools - breaker bar, jack , deep well socket set and folding shovel to keep in the trunk of his car. A starter tool box to keep in the garage.

the daughter got the jack and breaker bar when she went off to college , this year she got an air pump where you put in the pressure number you want and it pumps the tire up to that.

last year she had a flat tire on the way home. She was about 4 hours away. A state trooper stopped to help her. He opened the trunk and saw a floor jack, a breaker bar with the 17mm socket on it and a full size spare in the trunk. He changed the tire for her. I had her do it at home but in the heat of the moment, on the side of the interstate, I'm glad she didn't have to try.

Anyways we are probably guilty of buying too many gifts at Xmas, but the gifts we get now are gifts that get them started on life.

My daughter is big on painting, every Xmas she paints me a country scene - a barn, a field, etc. This year she painted my 8N in front of a smoker barn in a field covered in snow. She has talent.

Kudos to you for thinking enough of your daughter to be sure she had the necessary tools to change a flat! ....PLUS a full size spare!
That crap furnished by manufacturers isn't even decent scrap iron! LOL!

Both my girls can change a flat, drive a standard and know how to hook up and pull a horse trailer.......and aren't afraid to do it.
We beat the children at Christmas to let them know how good they have it the rest of the year.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
We beat the children at Christmas to let them know how good they have it the rest of the year.

OMG! Does anyone know how to clean a whiskey and snot mixture off my computer?

lol
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer

Kudos to you for thinking enough of your daughter to be sure she had the necessary tools to change a flat! ....PLUS a full size spare!

Both my girls can change a flat, drive a standard and know how to hook up and pull a horse trailer.......and aren't afraid to do it.

we tried to teach her to drive a stick

I kid you not - smoke was coming from the steering column and for the sake of the car we quit. She can get the boat off and on the trailer when we go fishing though so she isn't a lost cause

Now THAT is parenting! Felony charges not withstanding, of course. 😳
At the age of 13 my grandfather, got me a cheap socket set, about 50 pices. Said it was time I started learning to use tools. I'm 64 now and still have most of it! I have alot better tools now days, but try to use the old set once in awhile.
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer

we tried to teach her to drive a stick

I kid you not - smoke was coming from the steering column and for the sake of the car we quit. She can get the boat off and on the trailer when we go fishing though so she isn't a lost cause

Give her a Jeep with a stick and tell her that once she can drive it, it’s hers. She’ll master it in a day. Oh yea, give her that one piece of required instruction: “Remember honey, nothing REALLY bad happens with the clutch pressed in”.
High country: All four of my VarmintChildren are adults (youngest 32) and I am certain the VarmintWife spent at least $2,000.00 on the lot of them!
I spent about $100.00 on the four myself and some more on the two VarmintGrandChildren.
And yes I wish the VarmintWife would tone it down a bit!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by high_country_
I have 5 kids and we make a decent living. My kids have come to expect a bit much in terms of tangibles from Santa.

This year we all drew names and that person was the only person you were getting a gift for. The average $ spent was about 25bux each.

We actually had a better time than any other year. There was no complaining and lots of laughter.

One of my kids (13) needed money to buy her brother something. She didn't want to babysit the youngest (7) for a couple of hours....so my wife called the neighbor kid and gave the neighbor the 10bux she asked for plus a $50 tip.....my kids jaw hit the floor. She ended up hustling about 12 bux in the hood shoveling snow and made the rest of the gifts by hand.....fantastic life lesson.

I drew my oldest daughter (16 in a week) and she just wanted money. I gave her a gift certificate for a weekend with me anywhere she wants to go....not a thing that she doesn't need....instead, something she does.

I'm liking this....and I saved a few grand to boot.

Lol. You're like a mad scientist.
Astonishing.. Congratulations.
Quit giving gifts quite few years ago. My wife and I usually buy what we need (not want) as it comes along. Sometimes it don't get bought if other expenses have to come first. We quit sending gifts to the kids and grandkids. Money sent with cards was never acknowledged, let alone special gifts.

We might hear from them twice year, but one we have not heard from for 2+ years and didn't even get an invite to her wedding.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Quit giving gifts quite few years ago. My wife and I usually buy what we need (not want) as it comes along. Sometimes it don't get bought if other expenses have to come first. We quit sending gifts to the kids and grandkids. Money sent with cards was never acknowledged, let alone special gifts.

We might hear from them twice year, but one we have not heard from for 2+ years and didn't even get an invite to her wedding.
Only hear from your kids twice a year?

Sheesh

What’d they do, finally escape chains and stocks in your basement?

That’s strange

Pics of the painting please 👍🏻
My kid’s aunt and uncle on their mom’s side have done well and they spread it around. My son gave them ideas for Xmas, which included 3-4 different shoes. I guess he got them all. My gift to him was a ticket to the B10 championship, $138 and he loved it. Potential once in a lifetime thing.
My two daughters are grown and gone! Each has 2 children a piece. I put $1000 in a college savings account for each of the grandkids each birthday and Christmas. Figure that's the best gift they could ever get (if our educational system ever gets back to actually teaching life skills that is)...

Hopefully they will try going into a skilled trade such as electrical, plumbing or something higher such as a Dr, dentist or veterinarian!
My three children learned at a early age about being responsible about gifts and what they cost. Now with all three grown and having grandkids learning same lessons, I am truly proud of the hardworking responsible adults they have grown into.All of them realize its not the cost but the thought and to be responsible stewards of their money.
© 24hourcampfire