Home
over the years?

From the attic to the various sub forums here on the Fire. How much cash would you guess you have spent buying items or gear that another member has brought to your attention?

Not including the classifieds.

If you say anywhere near $10k, this place might not be healthy for you.

Lol

šŸ¦«
This place might not be healthy for me.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

It's a wonder that I'm still alive.

Ya!

GWB
Not much, have bought and sold on the classifieds, about even up on that
not a lot about even
This place isn't healthy for any of us.
Since just over fifteen years ago when I asked advice on buying a first handgun?

41 Kieth. PWeed, Ron in Phoenix, and the perpetual enabler RJM responded.

$10K does not even come close.
Originally Posted by Higginez

Yeah,
Sitting here on my nuts when I could be doing something.

Gonna do something.

No doubt!

I just read the SWFA backordered thread about the 3-9x42 30mm scope for $419 and change. When I started to push the add to cart button, I almost broke out in a sweat - thinking, do I actually need this optic? Umm, NO!

Jeebus, this place is bad.

šŸ˜šŸ¦«
Thousands
RJM told me I needed that four inch Red Hawk a couple years ago. I passed on it at the time as I thought I already had a 41 revolver for every occassion.

Not taking Bob's advice at the time, is going to cost me even more.
Originally Posted by geedubya

It's a wonder that I'm still alive.

Ya!

GWB

Iā€™m pretty certain Iā€™m a long lost ā€˜love childā€™ of yours GWB, from back in the 60ā€™s.

Papa, donā€™t forget me in your will for your knives and firearms.

Love,

Your son Beaver šŸ¦«
Originally Posted by Higginez

Word!

šŸ¦«
Pretty much zero $$

Not easily influenced by others & their ideas,

usually the enabler , at least according to the wives of the spenders, ha !
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Since just over fifteen years ago when I asked advice on buying a first handgun?

$10k is just a cover charge amount to be here.

Lol

šŸ¦«
Any money Iā€™ve spent through here has been at a savings, thatā€™s a bargain. Itā€™s the time Iā€™ve spent here Iā€™ll never get back! cry laugh
Zilch
Uhhh, I think this place has cost me a bunch. Please donā€™t make me add it all up.
The classifieds are the best reason to be here. 10ā€™s of thousands $ on classifieds, zero on any other stuff. Who cares about plastic guns in 6.5 Creedmoor?
Originally Posted by 1minute
Zilch

Impressive....I think šŸ¤”

šŸ¦«
I read the thread title and immediately assumed "I now know how Obi-Wan felt when he said: 'I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced'."
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Uhhh, I think this place has cost me a bunch. Please donā€™t make me add it all up.

My calculator caught fire. Donā€™t add yours up.

šŸ¦«
I'm not even going to attempt to add it up. It would not be healthy for me.
Nothing, I given away brass and a fishing reel, they reimbursed the postage.
Iā€™m just happy as wet clam that Iā€™m in good company around here.

šŸ¦«
Originally Posted by shrapnel
The classifieds are the best reason to be here. 10ā€™s of thousands $ on classifieds, zero on any other stuff. Who cares about plastic guns in 6.5 Creedmoor?

I admit, I don't even own a 6.5 manbun yet someone listed a link to a screaming deal on ammo for one so I bought 2 cases. The deal was right but I doubt I will ever own one so yeah, it got me. smile
Zero dollars
Originally Posted by MrWilson
Zero dollars

Youā€™re still young.

Give yourself some time.

šŸ˜³šŸ¦«
zilch
A fair bit.
Can we talk about something else please.
In my experience, The last few seconds of your consciousness will not be consumed with this question .

Far more important things to question....
Not buying stuff so much, but money spent on plane tickets and travel to go hunt or fish with another member.
I would like to invoke my Fifth Amendment rightsā€¦..šŸ˜Š
Cost me $90.00 bucks last night on Ammo! Well spent tho!
How much is what was left of my sanity in 2010 worth?
To quote my wife:

"Look how much money I saved."
Think how much you've saved on all the shrewd investment tips and other free advice available on the Fire. I don't think a person could lose money taking heed from all this wisdom.
Originally Posted by 19352012
Think how much you've saved on all the shrewd investment tips and other free advice available on the Fire. I don't think a person could lose money taking heed from all this wisdom.

Paging Ribka.

Lol

šŸ¦«
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Not buying stuff so much, but money spent on plane tickets and travel to go hunt or fish with another member.

Where you headed Roger?

šŸ¦«
Originally Posted by navlav8r

800 other members have done the same by reading this thread and not saying a word.

šŸ˜¬šŸ¦«
The airgun forum brought PCP rifles to my attention and now I have a few and a compressor and pump, ammo, etc... I enjoy them more than my powder burners.
Not much, and I've learned a few things.
It's cost me enough!
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by MrWilson
Zero dollars

Youā€™re still young.

Give yourself some time.

šŸ˜³šŸ¦«

no , I am an old fart. I need nothing as collected enough shooting , hunting , reloading stuff over the years !
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

$10k is just a cover charge amount to be here.

Lol

šŸ¦«

Don't want to count how many times I've covered. šŸ˜€
Beaver10: Oh way in excess of $10,000.00 - but "I" consider every dollar to have been "well spent" on Rifles, pistols, scopes, books, knives, munitions, binoculars and such.
EVERY transaction I was involved in (including a bunch of selling) worked out very well.
Looking forward to my next transaction soon.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
We are childless losers and I spend way too much money on chit I don't need but who cares!

At least most of the junk I buy actually holds it's value. There are worse 'investments' than guns...

šŸ¦«
Brother Mark, thanks for the warning. I didnā€™t want to add one calculator to the bottom line.

BTW, what happens when you more than double your ten grand figure. Or triple. Gaaawwwd, this place is ā€˜spensive
Originally Posted by SamOlson
We are childless losers and I spend way too much money on chit I don't need but who cares!

At least most of the junk I buy actually holds it's value. There are worse 'investments' than guns...

Having no kids has some advantages. Sometimes I ask myself, ā€œif I had a son, would he want this new rifle?ā€

The answer is always, yes.

Lol

šŸ¦«
Less than a $1.

šŸ¦«
Brother Mark, thanks for the warning. I didnā€™t want to add one calculator to the bottom line.

BTW, what happens when you more than double your ten grand figure. Or triple. Gaaawwwd, this place is ā€˜spensive

Oh, boy! Now weā€™re getting somewhere. When the figure triples, you just act like you never saw this thread and keep telling your wife how beautiful she is.

Thatā€™s what I do, and itā€™s worked.....Most of the time.

šŸ˜¬šŸ¦«
Hahaha.....for sure.

I talk to my imaginary son all the time as well. Fuucker is a mute though and it gets kinda boring.....lol
Originally Posted by NoDak
Less than a $1.

Seriously?

Youā€™ve never read a thread about a piece of gear, or an optic, or maybe even a different reloading item and said to yourself - ā€œI want that?ā€

šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¦«
When someone posts up a good deal here you have to jump. I'd guess 3k, maybe a little more so not so bad.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Having no kids has some advantages. Sometimes I ask myself, ā€œif I had a son, would he want this new rifle?ā€

The answer is always, yes.

Lol

šŸ¦«

I am in the same boat but I am nearing the point in my life where I am trying to figure out what to do with them?
For me

I've sold more than I've bought in the past 20+ years

Although the internet in general is too easy to buy stuff

I see Larry has bumped up his free shipping pro mo's to $75
In the 2 years that I've been a member I'd say that I have definitely contributed at a minimum $4k.
Originally Posted by tikkanut
For me

I've sold more than I've bought in the past 20+ years

Although the internet in general is too easy to buy stuff

I see Larry has bumped up his free shipping pro mo's to $75

Tik, you are personally responsible for me having a 20 Practical custom rifle built. Then there was dies, bushings, expanders, etc.

You my friend are an enabler!

šŸ„“šŸ¦«
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
When someone posts up a good deal here you have to jump. I'd guess 3k, maybe a little more so not so bad.

Solid work Skank, and an honest assessment.

šŸ‘šŸ¼šŸ¦«
Best guess is $10,000.00, including the trip I took to OK to hunt quail and a Christmas Holiday special season doe.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I am probably money ahead as the site convinced me to sell all of my Leupolds.
Brother Beaver;
Good afternoon my friend, I hope you folks had a grand Christmas down south and you're all well.

In the spirit of semi-full disclosure, I'm not going to answer this on the grounds that it might be read by others and all that.

Since there's the whole medicine line thing which as you know is either a 5 strand barbed wire range fence or nothing on the water but an impenetrable barrier for folks choosing to remain legal, the classifieds haven't been super tough, though some Talley Lightweights were sent legally way back when.

The worst part here in my experience are the "suggesting" members, some even as benign seeming as our gun writer 'Fire member John Barsness who mentioned he'd rebarreled a .270 into a 6.5x55 and then casually "suggested" I might try to see if they'd feed through the magazine, etc.....

That suggestion was somewhat expensive, especially after a phone conversation with greydog who is both a 'Fire member and well respected gunsmith up here. More suggestions in the phone call.

That of course was just one build and didn't include things like too many people going on and on about their Mystery Ranch pack frames, etc. and etc.

Anyways Brother Beaver, we still appear to be solvent up here and my better half for more than 4 decades hasn't left me over excesses in that regard, so it's all good clean fun I figure, you know?

Best to you all this New Year my friend.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by EdM
I am probably money ahead as the site convinced me to sell all of my Leupolds.

Thread is officially derailed!

Lol

šŸ¦«
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Brother Beaver;
Good afternoon my friend, I hope you folks had a grand Christmas down south and you're all well.

In the spirit of semi-full disclosure, I'm not going to answer this on the grounds that it might be read by others and all that.

Since there's the whole medicine line thing which as you know is either a 5 strand barbed wire range fence or nothing on the water but an impenetrable barrier for folks choosing to remain legal, the classifieds haven't been super tough, though some Talley Lightweights were sent legally way back when.

The worst part here in my experience are the "suggesting" members, some even as benign seeming as our gun writer 'Fire member John Barsness who mentioned he'd rebarreled a .270 into a 6.5x55 and then casually "suggested" I might try to see if they'd feed through the magazine, etc.....

That suggestion was somewhat expensive, especially after a phone conversation with greydog who is both a 'Fire member and well respected gunsmith up here. More suggestions in the phone call.

That of course was just one build and didn't include things like too many people going on and on about their Mystery Ranch pack frames, etc. and etc.

Anyways Brother Beaver, we still appear to be solvent up here and my better half for more than 4 decades hasn't left me over excesses in that regard, so it's all good clean fun I figure, you know?

Best to you all this New Year my friend.

Dwayne

Brother Dwayne,

Hope you and the family had a Merry of Christmas Cheer and a New Year that will bring all Canucks some closure on Trudeau and his scheming anti-gun initiatives. May he Rest In a Political Peaceful Hell very soon!

As for the expense associated with making what at first appears to be something as benign as a barrel change, does have away of quickly spinning out of control...thoughts of ā€œMake it stopā€, Iā€™ve found are followed up with ā€œToo late!ā€ And Iā€™m all in, on what I at first assumed was something so simple.

Iā€™ve tried to lessen these financially expensive experiences by not chasing the newest shiny objects and stay settled on what I currently have. The 7mm PRC is a perfect example. Just typing those words have me thinking about doing a new build in the chambering. Dang it! Blame it on the Fire and my weaknesses.

Be well!

šŸ¦«
In my 21 years 3 or so weeks of being a ā€œfireā€ memberā€¦ā€¦ around $3K! memtb
I have bought a lot of stuff (90% of which not needed) but sold a bunch also. I woke up one morning to read my email and learn I bought a Citori shotgun the night before, that one I still remember! I am more satisfied with things learned, topics initiated, conversations had, ā€œcampfire talkā€!
The only reason I joined was to be able to buy something off the classifieds. It's not hard to spend money on the different things I see and think I need on the CF. But I figure not being censored by over zealous administrators is worth more than I'll ever spend.
Oh yeah, for sure.
I never shop the classifieds here. I probably should but havenā€™t. I almost bought a scope from Rene once but Slum scooped in and bought it 1st.
I think Ive sold more then bought. Thanks for those who have spent your kid inheritance with me.
I bought a hunting spear made out of grafted cape buffalo horn segments with a South American obsidian field point, lashed together with ostrich skin strips lovingly chewed by Australian aboriginal pygmy's. It's my favorite.
Viva Le Campfire!
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I bought a hunting spear made out of grafted cape buffalo horn segments with a South American obsidian field point, lashed together with ostrich skin strips lovingly chewed by Australian aboriginal pygmy's. It's my favorite.
Fire cost you your manhood. Your natural reaction was to doxx members.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Fire cost you your manhood. Your natural reaction was to doxx members.

Holy Hell.

šŸ¤£šŸ¦«
You geniuses don't know anything about my home situation. Keep stroking yourself though.
You geniuses don't know anything about my home situation. Keep stroking yourself though.

Welllll, your wife was pretty candid so we know more than you'd like...

Where you headed Roger?

šŸ¦«
I'll be going up to Mass to fish with Leighton this coming summer, and probably the pig hunt in march.
I respectfully claim my right, under the Fifth Amendment, to decline to answer. laugh
Originally Posted by hillestadj

You think you know.
I certainly hope you found the made in China sticker and peeled it off..
All of a sudden I'm feeling a tad ill myself... laugh laugh
Has anyone bought any of Ren50 or Slumā€™s Indian artifacts they keep finding in MeMaws garden?

Just curious šŸ¤Ø

šŸ¦«
Bart recommends this in his chili recipe

Soā€¦outside of classified purchases

Iā€™m into this place for about a $3

For everything else, you mfkers ought to be paying me royalties

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I've bought, sold and traded quite a few things over the years on here. Even bought some things that I found I had to have based on the advice of other members.
I like to look at it as, look how much I saved with all the great bargains I found in the Classifieds. Yeah, that's the ticket.
As I recall, the only few things that Iā€™ve bought over recommended stuff on the ā€˜Fire was some very good books and a Magnetospeed Chronograph.
Also an electric push mower.
Every thing Iā€™ve bought was well worth the money. I guess Iā€™m batting 1000!
7mm
Thousands
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I've bought, sold and traded quite a few things over the years on here. Even bought some things that I found I had to have based on the advice of other members.
I like to look at it as, look how much I saved with all the great bargains I found in the Classifieds. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Itā€™s always been the ā€˜advice of othersā€™ that draws me to gear items.

Someone actually using something, in a way, that I would be using the gear makes it too easy to hit the buy button.

šŸ¦«
Lots....
can't put a number on it but easily have used more recommendations from here than anywhere else on the 'net combined
Originally Posted by slumlord

It's the con azafran.
Originally Posted by KFWA
can't put a number on it but easily have used more recommendations from here than anywhere else on the 'net combined
Bout what I was thinking ... ^^^^^ ... Without the 'Fire would not be aware of LH Rem KS rifles, nor the scarcity of LH Win M70 rifles... Also, many good gear recommendations including Smart Wool, Darn Tough, McMillan, LH P.O. Ackley Mausers, and on and on... Would have never zero'ed in on my preferred ergonomics for rifle stocks. Previously, some stocks "felt good" and some did not. Had no clue why...
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
You sound like my wife, when she buy things on sale, but I saved!
Hmmm, probably knocking on the $10k number in Total purchases but I have sold a number of things here as well. Maybe $5k in the red?

Itā€™s only unhealthy if wifey did the math.
FMTT...hard to say.

I can think of two different AR builds and about twenty different optics deals, and then there are the die sets of all sorts. There were quite a few powder acquisitions that were almost exclusively eight pounds or more. Then a lot of piddlin stuff. I don't even want to begin trying to add it all up.

On the plus side, I've enjoyed shooting and learning a lot more than I would have otherwise. I'd say it's all been well worth it.
Should we talk about knives or custom knives purchased?

HankHammond

Ingram

Menefee both Rick and Rocky made

And at least 3 other makers.

FML šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

šŸ¦«
laffinā€™

Cryin here bossā€™! grin grin grin

You think you know.

You asked about how to spend $950,000 of discretionary money 6-7 months ago...

I advised that Buying Beans from a dude named Jack was a poor fiscal decision.

Regardless... how did them beans turn out?
To answer the OP - who the fu.ck can say for sure...lots.

Two standouts that come to mind - believe it was Kingston brought Kryptek Vellus pants to my attention, they're pretty tits for 80% of the standhunting I do. EdM came through with the $500 Mauser M12s a couple years back, fuc.king clutch.
A little bit more.

I just found out the Howa mini comes in .350 legend.....lol

Two standouts that come to mind - believe it was Kingston brought Kryptek Vellus pants to my attention, they're pretty tits for 80% of the standhunting I do. EdM came through with the $500 Mauser M12s a couple years back, fuc.king clutch.

Kingston learned about the Kryptek Vellus gear from me, and then on to you.

See how the circle of life works? Kinda spiritual.

Lol

šŸ¦«

Kingston learned about the Kryptek Vellus gear from me, and then on to you.

See how the circle of life works? Kinda spiritual.

Lol

šŸ¦«

Awww, fugg...now I hate them!

šŸ˜šŸ¦«
It hasn't cost me a cent.
I've spent a fortune on gear and custom rifles et all but that education and the upgrade has been priceless.
I figure I;m way ahead.....
Saved me money by outing Burns, but auctions this year have been at least 10,000 in rifles and accessories.
Originally Posted by navlav8r

800 other members have done the same by reading this thread and not saying a word.

šŸ˜¬šŸ¦«

I'm going to drink a fifth......then probably spend some money.šŸ¤‘
Originally Posted by slumlord

It's the con azafran.
Yes you are correct.

Wrong product I posted, I check my pantry I have the con azafran
Originally Posted by Partsman
Saved me money by outing Burns...

WTF...

Burns is a fraud?

His riser with 39 mounting screws is unnecessary to gut shoot elk at 75 yards?

Does that mean Tonto actually does not wear crotch less panties under his shaved skin rawhides?

It is a cold cruel world...

I embrace 2023...
I can not remember the Fire Costing me anything other than a couple of Donations to Mickey's Christmas give away to unfortunate kids.

Mickey was doing a good thing back then and some Azz Hat had to go and screw it all up after his Passing.

I do not consider that costing me because I got paid in a different manor for those donations.

One time out of the blue after Mickey handed out the Donations that he had collected from everyone on the Fire.
I had a Couple of knives show up in my mail box for someone who did not want to be known with a thank you letter for my donation.

To bad some people get all kinds of Butt Hurt and make good things go away.
Originally Posted by Westman
It hasn't cost me a cent.
I've spent a fortune on gear and custom rifles et all but that education and the upgrade has been priceless.
I figure I;m way ahead.....

Iā€™m stealing this for my therapist.

Lol

šŸ¦«
I've spent my share due to the campfire, but I never felt it was wasted in anyway. If you sort through the BS, you really can get some good advice on purchases.

Early in my days here, I had some semi-custom rifles put together, but it was something I wanted to do and it was going to happen anyway. It just worked out that there was a bunch of really knowledgeable guys here, like dogzapper, who could lead a guy down the path. Rick Bin sold and painted McM stocks, it was easy to get set up. In a way, I feel it saved me money by not making mistakes.

Heck, the biggest vacation my family has ever went on came from a recommendation of a fellow Campfire guy. Turned out great too!
Campfire is a place to make money.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Cha Ching.

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]
Between what I have sold on here and what I have bought , it's probably close to a wash

For the New Year.
Worth every cent!
You! Oooooh Yoouuu.... You are gonna make me look at the classifieds!!!!!!!

Evil bastard!
Kingston: Regarding the picture in your latest posting - YOU are a sick mofo, and should be banned from the CampFire for 14 inches, I mean 14 days.
I recommend therapy, lots of therapy!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
© 24hourcampfire