Home
Posted By: RockyRaab Some Poor Bastard died today - 01/01/23
Apparently walked into a spinning propeller on a Piedmont Airlines Embraer (prop jet) at Montgomery Alabama airport. Witnessed by boarding passengers. No further details. LINK
Posted By: Osky Re: Some Poor Bastard died today - 01/01/23
Saw that. Sad.

Osky
Sounds like family might get a big pay day. Spinning props with passengers about.

Edited: Stand corrected as it seems he was sucked into jet engine. If the unit was parked and at idle, he'd damned near have to climb in. If the engine didn't eat one, it would probably still deflate one's lungs.
Maybe..........

instead of suicide by cop

Suicide by prop

As the bumper sticker say

'schiddt happens'
Rocky, an Embraer E175 is not a turboprop. It has no propellers. Might have been sucked into the inlet though. Not his day no matter how it happened.

https://www.embraercommercialaviation.com/commercial-jets/e175/
On the C-123 flightline at Tan Son Nhut in the Spring of 1966, one of our mechanics walked into a prop one night. Awful.
Well, it's usually quick. (little barf)
Posted By: ATC Re: Some Poor Bastard died today - 01/01/23
Originally Posted by 1minute
Sounds like family might get a big pay day. Spinning props with passengers about.

Enbraer E175 does not have props. All aircraft have ground crews working as they load and start. Somebody not paying attention or where they were not supposed to be. A flightline is a dangerous place.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Some Poor Bastard died today - 01/02/23
I wonder what was going through his head at that fatal moment.
I had a lady as a patient for about 30 years who did that after deboarding a private twin engine plane as a teenager. She must have walked into the back side, had some huge head scars and a distorted skull and brain damage and her eyes didn't work together. Very skinny and unhealthy.

Pretty sad.
Originally Posted by Dinny

The prop.
Where did the spinning prop part come from?
What airline allows ground boarding w/ spinning props or running engines ?
Posted By: KenMi Re: Some Poor Bastard died today - 01/02/23
CBS says he was ingested by an engine.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/montgomery-alabama-airport-accident-ground-crew-worker-killed/
Damn! I can’t imagine wanting to kill myself. Much less being in place mentally where someone would want to do it like that. I hate thinking about someone that unhappy with themselves and life.
Posted By: bcp Re: Some Poor Bastard died today - 01/02/23
E175 engine in relation to a person on the ground.

https://images.flyingmag.com/flying...omfilesimages201905kevin-ardaugh-3-1.jpg

Bruce
Was going to say you have to give him props, but I guess not.

Suffered from ingestion.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Damn! I can’t imagine wanting to kill myself. Much less being in place mentally where someone would want to do it like that. I hate thinking about someone that unhappy with themselves and life.
Situational awareness. Might have been something as simple as pulling chocks and walked too close to the engine inlet. I'm kinda surprised he got sucked in if the engine was at idle.
Originally Posted by ATC
Originally Posted by 1minute

Enbraer E175 does not have props. All aircraft have ground crews working as they load and start. Somebody not paying attention or where they were not supposed to be. A flightline is a dangerous place.
Would you like to correct Rocky the OP first instead of letting him slide like a greasy pickle on this?
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Some Poor Bastard died today - 01/02/23
Glad I am not the lucky guy tasked with cleaning out that engine.
I saw a lady walk ( run) into the prop on a twin ottter. luckily the blades were feathered but cut her up something ugly. after that the airline put up a rope barrier. I had told them many times someone would do that! this was in Belize.
Thanks for the correction. I confess I did not look up the airplane type, and simply assumed turbo prop, based on Embraer. The story I read made no mention of what happened other than labeling it an "industrial accident."

Either way, some poor bastard met an ugly death.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Some Poor Bastard died today - 01/02/23
Humm,

How do you know he was poor & a bastard?
Imagine standing behind the jet and getting sprayed with the poor guys innards and parts.
The same way we know some people are smart and an ass, Mike.
Originally Posted by 19352012
Imagine standing behind the jet and getting sprayed with the poor guys innards and parts.
Why would someone be standing behind a running jet engine? 😬
Though I've had to go behind the tail a few times when the engines were running... 😱
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Though I've had to go behind the tail a few times when the engines were running... 😱
Objection your honor, asked and answered.
Originally Posted by Dinny
A prop
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The same way we know some people are smart and an ass, Mike.

I see what you did there
Objection your honor, asked and answered.
I strenuously object. Facts not in evidence. πŸ”¨ 😁

How would someone be standing behing a running jet engine? Maybe "stepping behind" for a second.....
Posted By: Huntz Re: Some Poor Bastard died today - 01/02/23
It was a woman employee.New years Eve Hangover makes you do dumb stuff.
Originally Posted by smokepole

How would someone be standing behing a running jet engine? Maybe "stepping behind" for a second.....
Uh huh. You ain't gonna be there long...
SWAG on my part, one news clip pointed out that the aricraft brakes were set. I'm thinking they had just parked the airplane in it's spot and the may waiting for engine shutdown until the chocks were in place. Some poor SOB wasn't paying attention and he paid for it with his life.
I think it would be easy for that to happen---especially in the military! More than once I had to resist the urge to try to dodge the inboard props on a C-130 while running. It could be done, but I never knew anybody that ever did it!
But in 1968 or 69 and air policeman walked into the running prop on a C-130 parked at a "hot pad" at Kadena Okinawa and he didn't make it to where he was heading!
The next day that bird was at the wash rack at Naha getting the remains cleaned off the fuselage.
I doubt any person could intentionally take their own life that way! Prop or Jet!!
Strolling around "behind" a cranked-up jet engine would most likely result in some burns and and an extended session of rolling down the tarmac.

No personal experience as I avoided those hazards but witnessed several carrier incidents where a blast shield was dropped, and guys were blown down the deck like a piece of paper.

As to the front end, there's a good bit of activity near the intakes on carrier launches and those engines are cranked up to 100% for the cat shot. During heavy rain events, one can see tornado like suction cones picking up ground water as the engines run up.

Folks working in those regions don't have anything loose on their personages. An oil rag or even just a hat can wreck an engine in a second, where upon one's popularity will take a serious hit with the mechanics.
[Linked Image from j.gifs.com]
Originally Posted by AB2506
Damn...
Years ago we were briefed on a study that showed that accidents tend to happen on the days preceeding a holiday or vacation and it was the high senority people involved not the rookies. For those of us who worked in the vicinity of running jet engines it was just another day at the office but you were ALWAYS aware that a momentarily lapse in safety could prove fatal.
Thanks for the link, AB2506...

Aviation is dangerous. The safest part of it is when the aircraft is in cruise, or when it's in the hangar. Otherwise, it's ALWAYS looking to kill you.
Good to see you posting again, Doc.

Hoping to see the PM string again.
© 24hourcampfire