Home
Rather than continue derailing the memes thread, I have started a new discussion.

There, I made the assertion that a true man is never without a pocketknife, a handkerchief, and some cash. Most people had no issue with the knife or cash, but pooh-poohed the handkerchief a bit. Some even suggested that as long as there are shirt sleeves, one does not need a handkerchief. That was possibly a joke. Maybe.

However, I would like now to point out that a handkerchief is valuable for more than blowing one's nose. With one, you can wipe sweat, clean glasses, use as a bandage, or (if you are French) surrender. With a large enough one, it can serve as a sweat band, mask, bandana, rescue flag, hat, sunshade, water strainer, or even a tourniquet. Which is why I carry one.

I'd also make one other suggestion for the properly-dressed male: a flashlight. I have a Streamlight Nano that rides on my keychain. It's the size of a cigarette butt, but provides a surprisingly bright beam. Another that I frequently carry in addition to the Nano is a rechargeable Streamlight Microstream. That one is the size of an unsmoked cig.

Discussion?
Agreed Rocky with the exception of the hanky. I’m a shirt sleeve or the-shirt man. I’ll use whichever or both to take care of your handkerchief needs!
No handkerchief.

I do carry a terry cloth rag dangling from my back pocket to wipe sweat, or blood, or wipe hands. Don't blow my nose on it though. If I blow my nose on something, it's a paper product that gets promptly tossed in the trash.

I go through a lot of those in summer, as I'm prone to sweat.

Never without a pocket knife. Never without a handgun or AR within at least easy reach. Got plenty of lights at hand too.

One thing I've added as an essential now is a phone. I keep records on it for client hours, photographs, get notifications from surveillance cameras, has a built in flashlight, compass, and even...a phone to call someone in an emergency. grin

Cash, ID, and quarters.
Of the list - I carry a knife on me, flashlight in the truck along with a ferro rod and firestarters.

Somehow I'm still alive without some of the things everyone believes "a person should have" to get through their day. "I always carry 300 tools, a spare driveshaft, floor jack, 2 tires, tire repair kit, sat phone, 3 AAA accounts, a chainsaw, 9 pistols, a camp stove, a sleeping bag and 2 tents in the truck of the Buick - even when going to the store for a quart of milk."
Pocketknife, small (2-CR132A batteries) flashlight, handkerchief, 10' piece of cord or small rope, and lighter (even though I don't smoke). Everywhere, every day. Cash and a cell phone are often with me, but the other things are always with me.

Usually if I'm carrying cash and a cell phone, then I'm carrying a handgun too...
My Grandfather carried a handkerchief

As far as your multiple use theory, there’s nothing like using your snot rag you store in your pocket to then also wipe the sweat from your brow and clean your glasses.
I flew to Florida recently, I don’t check any bags. You can’t fly with a pocketknife ad I felt undressed the whole time. I might have to buy one to leave in Florida on my next visit.
I agree in the handkerchief. I rarely am without one. It's amazing how many times I've had others need it's use.

I don't see a problem with the flashlight, but not sure I'd include it in the "properly dressed man" thing. Great to have, but IMO the flashlight function of phones has replaced the need to carry it as a separate item.

I would include a way of making fire. I almost always have a lighter in my pocket. Don't smoke, but it comes in handy very often. Usually just a cheap BIC, but not unusual to have a Zippo in my pocket. Never know with some lady needs a light or you've been offered a cigar. LOL.
Always a pocketknife…. I’m always close to my rig so there is plenty of stuff in there….. one thing I learned along time ago was water. Here in the summer it can be non-existent. Every vehicle has at least a gallon if not 2-3. A basic tool kit and jumper cables but mostly water.

If you are broke down anywhere….. even if you can call someone it may be an hour or 2 before someone can reach you. Heat exhaustion/Stress is real dangerous.
Most people feel naked without their phone now which probably has a built in flashlight.

I completely agree on the pocketknife and cash though. Handkerchief sounds good but it's definitely missing from my pockets.
Pointer, you make a...well, point. I carry a flashlight because I do not carry a phone. To those of you addicted to those electronic leashes, you still qualify as having a light.

To the tee shirt comment, if ever I'm bleeding and you offer me your sweaty, stinky, bacteria-riddled tee shirt as a bandage...I will decline. Many of the uses I describe should be limited to a clean hankie. If you are blowing your nose every few minutes into one, you have eliminated all uses but that one. Which is still less disgusting than a sodden sleeve right there in full view.
Originally Posted by pointer
I agree in the handkerchief. I rarely am without one. It's amazing how many times I've had others need it's use.

I don't see a problem with the flashlight, but not sure I'd include it in the "properly dressed man" thing. Great to have, but IMO the flashlight function of phones has replaced the need to carry it as a separate item.

I would include a way of making fire. I almost always have a lighter in my pocket. Don't smoke, but it comes in handy very often. Usually just a cheap BIC, but not unusual to have a Zippo in my pocket. Never know with some lady needs a light or you've been offered a cigar. LOL.

In this day and age I wouldn’t handle any handkerchief from anyone or would I offer one unless I didn’t want it back. Small travel pack of Kleenex is more better.
No argument, Swifty. Fortunately, hankies come in six-packs for very little money.
My keys, micro wallet, knife, kerchief and a firearm are always with me. If I'll be out after dark I add a little O Light mini flash light. Usually have a bottle of water with me when I leave the house. That mostly stays in the truck. The truck is a whole other subject, it's outfitted for about anything I might run into.
Knife, light and pistol.

Rags, first aid and other tools in the truck.

Stupid phone may or may not be on my person.
A microfiber lens cloth is virtually always in my pocket! But not for snot...
A torn up shirt for a bandage over a dirty handkerchief.... after going through allbsorts of crapy pencil style lights I have found that the Nebo inspector is pretty durable for less than $20.. the are good about replacing them if they do go bad. I had one accumulate so much dust that the beam focus became inoperable.. It was replaced like a Craftsmen ratchet.

Beanman,
you could always buy a knife there and mail it back to yourself...
Farmer's bandanna, it could be used as a tourniquet, or a compress.
It's more the farmer in me rather than the gentleman.
I almost always have a folded up blue shop rag in one of my pockets. Usually for grease or dirt.
Works well for snot also. I don't see the need for a hanky. They make these cute little boxes of kleenex that fit in my truck perfectly.
If I blow my nose in something, it ain't going back in my pocket.
Pocket knife? Yep (3 of them).
Handkerchief? Yep. (For glasses primarily. The one currently in my pocket has had a couple strips cut off of it to attach deer tags to antlers. Also works for bandage.)
Cash? Yep.

Maybe it's just my personal twitch, but I absolutely never set my wallet or keys down, they are <<always>> in my pocket. That means I always have my credit card and driver's license on me.

Anymore I almost never go without my cell phone.

Finally, I have a little "go" bag, not a bug-out bag, which contains a flashlight, hunting knife, Leica monocular, kleenex, a disposable poncho, ear plugs, water purification tablets, and a .44 magnum and some ammo which is with me most of the time.
If my pants are on,a knife is in the pocket.
My 'kercheif is preferably knotted at the back of my neck and draped over my adam's apple.

Yes, it is applicable to every use Rocky mentioned. But they are becoming difficult to find in the stores.

And I am informed by coworkers who are refugees from assorted cities, that one should not be caught on the wrong city street wearing the wrong color 'kercheif.
Posted By: efw Re: Pocketknives and handkerchiefs - 01/06/23
Concealed handgun, knife, wallet containing cash & cards which include ID.

Never carried a handkerchief in my life. If I needed a tourniquet I’d use my belt. Wipe my nose/cover sneezes on a kleenex.
In your initial post in the meme thread you specified a clean handkerchief. Glad to see you have dropped clean as a requirement. Mine starts clean, but doesn't stay that way. Same as the pocketknife: It starts sharp, but periodic use renders it less so with time. But I don't carry a flashlight; if light is needed, the phone provides enough to get by.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Pointer, you make a...well, point. I carry a flashlight because I do not carry a phone. To those of you addicted to those electronic leashes, you still qualify as having a light.

To the tee shirt comment, if ever I'm bleeding and you offer me your sweaty, stinky, bacteria-riddled tee shirt as a bandage...I will decline. Many of the uses I describe should be limited to a clean hankie. If you are blowing your nose every few minutes into one, you have eliminated all uses but that one. Which is still less disgusting than a sodden sleeve right there in full view.
Electronic leashes?
I've carried a wubber for over 50 years, but never had the chance to use it.
Originally Posted by P_Weed

You Wascally Wabbit! laugh
Originally Posted by Lslite
If my pants are on,a knife is in the pocket.

Yep, but also have a handgun on too even if not leaving the house.
Always a handkerchief and a Kershaw lockblade. But I don't take the Kershaw into a business while I'm working.
An old guy carries a hanky because of all the snot coming out of his nose and the water coming out of his eyes.

Sure...you can use it for some of the other things the OP mentions......but come on.....

Let's get real here.
Dave, phone is an electronic leash. It tracks your location, reports everything you search for, and some of them listen to you all the time even when you aren't calling someone. They were made to be so handy they are "necessary" to have with you at all times. For one reason: so Big Brother can monitor you.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
An old guy carries a hanky because of all the snot coming out of his nose and the water coming out of his eyes.

Sure...you can use it for some of the other things the OP mentions......but come on.....

Let's get real here.
you can let that nice lady at the bar cry into it when your buddy doesn't buy her a drink like he did the other night....
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
A torn up shirt for a bandage over a dirty handkerchief.... after going through allbsorts of crapy pencil style lights I have found that the Nebo inspector is pretty durable for less than $20.. the are good about replacing them if they do go bad. I had one accumulate so much dust that the beam focus became inoperable.. It was replaced like a Craftsmen ratchet.

Beanman,
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

Beanman,

My Mother lives there now so I’m going to buy one and leave it, gotta have a pocketknife
Well Rocky if cell phones get an aroma sniffing function I will be sure to take it with me every morning when I take a dump.
Originally Posted by P_Weed

You should probably get a new one - I doubt that one is much good now.
I've left a few handkerchiefs out in the woods before. They made good toilet paper at the time.
I have little regard or use for a hankie, clean or otherwise. I do accouter myself with a flashlight, carry pistol or revolver, knife (or two), cell phone and cash.
My cell phone has a flashlight. No need to carry another small one. If I NEED a flashlight a better one is in the truck, pack, or desk at my home. I carry a bandana quite often, but not all the time. But once again I keep several in the truck console and in my home. It would be extremely rare for me to not have a pocket knife on me. If not on me, close by. I even keep a spare in each vehicle in case I have a senior moment and walk out of the house without one.
Ah Ha! The woods dump is a use I had not thought of (or forgotten.) A pack of dinky Kleenex would likely not be nearly as effective.
Got a six pack of snot rags from Costco, returned them after a trial run. LOL.
I carry a hankie, old timer knife, wallet, phone, handgun, water, and some sort of snack most everywhere I go.
Ah Ha! The woods dump is a use I had not thought of (or forgotten.) A pack of dinky Kleenex would likely not be nearly as effective.

I bet your golfing course would not approve.
Handkerchief, pocket knife and cash. I wear a tie only with long sleeves but, I hate the jacket. I was taught early in life to brush your teeth every morning and always have a handkerchief in your pocket by my first grade teacher. Well, mom was big about the teeth brushing as well. But, I credit my 1st grade teacher with the handkerchief thing. The pocket knife and cash thing came later. I keep a flashlight in my jacket pocket and pickup glove box.

kwg

If I'm blowing my nose a bunch, I've been known to have 2 handkerchiefs on me. That way I'll have a clean one if need be.

When in dire need, a dirty handkerchief is better than nothing...

And yes, I've "lost" more than a few by needing them for TP and/or offering them to someone or for something and didn't want them back.
i go nowhere without a pocket knife and when I'm not working always a red or blue old time type hanky in my back pocket . It comes in handy for lots of different things.
Why collect it?

Just jettison it to the ground.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Why collect it?

Just jettison it to the ground.
Same reason I don't piss where ever the mood strikes me. Time and place can preclude jettisoning of snot.
Jim does not live amongst civilized people, remember.
Okie blow.
If I'm outside, I blow my nose into the, outside. If I'm inside, there is always a restroom available for me to grab a tissue to blow into. I won't be carrying around a hankie full of snot in my pocket to wash out later. Maybe my sinuses are just real go getters, but when I blow my nose, the faucet is on full flow.

If I'm wearing clothes, I've got a pocket knife on me.
I use an old oil rag as a handkerchief and toilet paper, usually in that order.
My old man told me to wear a belt, and keep a pocketknife and a hanky in my my pocket. I have for as long as I can remember.

There are a lot of females pretending to be men on this site. A farmers blow when appropriate is just that. Makes me wonder how many here have never had stitches, or ate a sandwich with dirty hands. Probably wear gloves to keep blood of their hands when they dress their "harvest" lolololol
It'll be a good day when all you dirty snot rag packers are finally gone.
No mention of the fashionable paracord bracelets yet

I don't have one
Always carry a lighter.
And a flask, ALWAYS a flask full of whiskey.
Phone and a pocketknife. I hate a bunch of schit in my pockets.

Never a hanky.
Been carrying all the above since High School. Can't function without a sharp pocket knife or handkerchief. Farmer and Rancher my entire life.
wells “Rocky”

Does your pocket knife have to be in the pocket or will a belt folder work.

And as for a bandana, what color does it need to be , the old red or Blue or do you go with like pink or purple.

Now for CASH, are you talking green backs and what is the ground limit rules.

I should pass for all three of these as i Cary a belt folder, plus a buck triple blade pocket knife.

Usually a red or blue bandana, one of these may be as old as you. However that is just a guess, it almost a see through.

Pocket money clip usually has enough to put in a tank or 3 of fuel if i am on the road.
Jim does not live amongst civilized people, remember.

Maybe it's you keeping up with appearances folks that ain't civilized.

What kind of àsshole stops in the middle of a busy road...and asks for mustard anyway?
In Scouts we learned to carry a handkerchief. Among all the other uses mentioned, you can tuck one edge under the back of your cap to protect your neck & ears from the sun if needed.
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
In your initial post in the meme thread you specified a clean handkerchief. Glad to see you have dropped clean as a requirement. Mine starts clean, but doesn't stay that way. Same as the pocketknife: It starts sharp, but periodic use renders it less so with time. But I don't carry a flashlight; if light is needed, the phone provides enough to get by.

Hit the index finger of my left hand while swinging a corn knife at cockleburrs in beans. Older cousin wrapped it up with his well-encrusted blue kerchief. By the end of the day the wound had closed up. The next morning it had a large blood blister. Poked it with a pin and tied it back up. Healed perfectly.
Knife, wallet/cash, and 1911. PH is a given.
Rather than continue derailing the memes thread, I have started a new discussion.

However, I would like now to point out that a handkerchief is valuable for more than blowing one's nose. With one, you can wipe sweat, clean glasses, use as a bandage, or (if you are French) surrender.

Discussion?

Long march, no food, Winter. Snow. Below 0 temps overnight.

Study up.

Tiny re-creation:

Reusable handkerchiefs may be one of the grossest things ever.
To parade the fact that you carry your snot rockets around in your pocket and think that makes you a gentleman, somehow strikes me as amusing.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Odds are you're day will come before mine!
To think that you believe there is only one use for a handkerchief is equally amusing.
Rocky, I have to admit that I'm a flashlight nut. I've got 3 of these Surefires of different ilumens and output, a couple Streamlights, plus at least a couple others I I keep on top of the gun safes in case the interior light waffles.

RAT 1 every day carry knife + self defense handgun of one flavor or another.

https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Dua...;hvtargid=pla-4583589114889427&psc=1

I do not carry a handkerchief. Maybe my overkill on the other stuff will get me through. LOL.
If I ever need a handkerchief, I'll just search out the first 75 year old dude with no phone and drinking a Gin Rickey and take his.
To think that you believe there is only one use for a handkerchief is equally amusing.
Fair point. The problem is that it seems like it is a one use per wash kinda proposition. The most common being a big nose blow. I mean, if you blow your nose in the morning, you're not going to be straining water in the afternoon right or wiping your glasses. Seems like a flawed system.

To believe those other uses can't be handled by anything but a handkerchief is also amusing.
Originally Posted by RUM7
Fair point. The problem is that it seems like it is a one use per wash kinda proposition. The most common being a big nose blow. I mean, if you blow your nose in the morning, you're not going to be straining water in the afternoon right or wiping your glasses. Seems like a flawed system.

Can always rinse the handkerchief out. Did that all the time when I was younger, working construction.
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
No mention of the fashionable paracord bracelets yet

I don't have one

I don't have one either.
To me, if your cordage has to be unraveled
to be used, it might as well be at home in a
drawer. Any cord or rope should be ready for
immediate use. Years ago in the real BSA
at one of those jamboree things, somebody
was teaching that you could lash together
this or that, and was showing how to unravel
your scout web belt to get string. I asked as
a curious kid " after we tear up our belt, what
do we do for a belt ?" .
I never subscribed to tearing up a functional
piece of gear to make some bushcrafty
thing with
Originally Posted by pointer
Odds are you're day will come before mine!
Seeing as how you're too stupid to use "your" instead of "you're" in that sentence, I'd say the odds aren't in your favor.
Always have a knife in my pocket, it's usually used several times a day.
Apparently, a handkerchief isn't needed enough to carry one as I never have.
Just me- I carry at least 1 folded bandana /handkerchief
every day. Yes, after it's used as a snot rag I don't
use it for other things. It goes in the dirty clothes
basket and a fresh clean one goes back in the
pocket. Yes, if it's ever used as TP it stays in
the pile and is not R&R'ed.

One configuration or another of a pocketknife in
each front pocket to allow either hand to grab
one as needed. A pen. A couple of sheets of
rite in the rain paper out of a memo pad.
Match safe or DOANS bar or lighter or all
depending. A length of nylon cord.
That's enough for the weak pockets of
today's shabby britches.
Other goods in vehicle
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Just me- I carry at least 1 folded bandana /handkerchief
every day. Yes, after it's used as a snot rag I don't
use it for other things. It goes in the dirty clothes
basket and a fresh clean one goes back in the
pocket. Yes, if it's ever used as TP it stays in
the pile and is not R&R'ed.

One configuration or another of a pocketknife in
each front pocket to allow either hand to grab
one as needed. A pen. A couple of sheets of
rite in the rain paper out of a memo pad.
Match safe or DOANS bar or lighter or all
depending. A length of nylon cord.
That's enough for the weak pockets of
today's shabby britches.
Other goods in vehicle
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
A minimum of 5 blows to a bandanna or handkerchief.

Each corner and the middle.

wink
No handkerchief... I can easily grab a Kleenex or a paper towel if I need one.

But pocketknives? Now you're talking.... I carry my dad's old Schrade 787 Improved Muskrat dual blade pocketknife with me everywhere I go, just like he did. Dressed up in an IBM business suit in the 60's & 70's? Yup... the old Schrade pocketknife was in his pants pocket. Helping out with the volunteer ambulance & rescue squad? Yup... that same pocketknife was in his pants pocket and helped cut seatbelts from car accident victims. In the late 70's it even helped scrape off the blown gasket to the water pump on my old Plymouth Satellite car.

Sadly, as I write this... My dad passed away back in May of 2002 from congestive heart failure, at 80 years old. My mother stayed by his side the whole time, and when all of us "kids" all rushed back home, flew back home, etc... My mother looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, "He wanted you to have this", and held out the pocketknife for me. I instantly remembered fishing with my dad and having him use the pocketknife to cut my fishing line with, when I was just a kid. I will confess... I am man enough to say this... I took the prized pocketknife from my mom, put it in my pocket, hugged my mom, and well.... I totally lost it and bawled like a little girl. cry

Yep, pocket knife, handkerchief and a small flashlight.

I likely have the DNA of every young kid down my street on a handkerchief at one time or another.
My granddaughter knows I have these three things and pretty sure she thinks I’m a hero because of it.
Thanks for sharing this!

Originally Posted by ButchA61
No handkerchief... I can easily grab a Kleenex or a paper towel if I need one.

But pocketknives? Now you're talking.... I carry my dad's old Schrade 787 Improved Muskrat dual blade pocketknife with me everywhere I go, just like he did. Dressed up in an IBM business suit in the 60's & 70's? Yup... the old Schrade pocketknife was in his pants pocket. Helping out with the volunteer ambulance & rescue squad? Yup... that same pocketknife was in his pants pocket and helped cut seatbelts from car accident victims. In the late 70's it even helped scrape off the blown gasket to the water pump on my old Plymouth Satellite car.

Sadly, as I write this... My dad passed away back in May of 2002 from congestive heart failure, at 80 years old. My mother stayed by his side the whole time, and when all of us "kids" all rushed back home, flew back home, etc... My mother looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, "He wanted you to have this", and held out the pocketknife for me. I instantly remembered fishing with my dad and having him use the pocketknife to cut my fishing line with, when I was just a kid. I will confess... I am man enough to say this... I took the prized pocketknife from my mom, put it in my pocket, hugged my mom, and well.... I totally lost it and bawled like a little girl. cry

Do any of you prissy bitches piss outside?

Lol.

No wonder you all lined up for the shot.
Equating your manhood w/ your pocket litter is kind of lame.

YMMV

mike r
I started carrying a pocketknife in the first grade; usually one of my Dad’s worn Case 2 or 3 blade Muskrat type. I remember my 3 rd grade teacher asking who had a knife; had 3 of us come down front and sit around the trash can Called students up by row by row to get their pencils sharpened. Ratty pencil grinder never worked. Played mumbly peg and holes in jr high using pocket knives. My Dad always carried a hankerchief, comb, and pocket knife. I did likewise for years. Changed to Case Trapper for many decades. Now a Benchmade, and small 2 blade Swiss Army. Keep a small LED flashlight that 3 AAA batteries in coat pocket and each vehicle. Walmart sells a decent one in orange for about a Buck in camping. Give ‘em to kids, DILs, and grandkids. Wife has one in purse plus a Buck Swiss Army knife. Usually a multi-tool in door pocket. And I don’t leave the house without packing: Taurus G2 9mm, Glock 22, or 1911. Rotate em. Was a school principal and had to fight a drunk Indian once. Always had Louisville Slugger or knife, or pistol somewhere. Last 6 months working on the rez, I could legally carry. Only the Judge, 2 game wardens, and Law and Order officers could legally carry. Pays to be prepared.
I feel naked if I don't have the following on me when out and about:
Left front pocket:
- Pocketknife (Kershaw Chive sometimes or Kershaw Misdirect)
- Leatherman Micro
- Swiss tech mini multi tool
- spare mag for pistol
Right front pocket:
- Ruger Max9 or Kahr MK9
Bandana in right back pocket
Wallet in left rear pocket
On my belt:
- Pouch with a Gerber multi-tool and Lumintop AA 2.0 light
- Smart phone on clip
Watch on left wrist

It's a wonder I don't lose my damn pants...
Posted By: JOG Re: Pocketknives and handkerchiefs - 01/07/23
The ash tray, paddle game, and remote control - that's all I need.
As I type. Never a flashlight, and the handkerchief is because of current cold. Although a handkerchief or bandanna might be carried other times of year as situations dictate.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I always carry a folding belt knife, cash, either a hanky or paper napkin (from the table) and a couple three peppermints in my pocket.

Also ........ I never wear sweat pants past the end of the driveway. Them's for slummin' around the house after supper.
Where I grew up in CA we couldn’t use red or blue bandanas so I switched to a black bandanna. I kept them in my pocket as handkerchiefs not as a do-rag deal. My dad always used the white square versions but they were too small for my liking. I still have a little Case pocket knife, lighter & chapstick every day. Still tuck a few 100’s behind my drivers license too.

Good thread Rocky
First thing I think when I see someone with a hankie hanging out of their pocket and they blow their nose with it, then put it back is "what a weirdo".
Yesterday a camo bandana and 2 knives, I was hunting. Today camo bandana , leatherman and a knife , I was fishing.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
or ate a sandwich with dirty hands.

Worm guts on the fingers, while putting in 3 fingers worth of cope snuff was exhilarating.

Back in my chewing days, of course.
Yes always a knife, bandana, and cashish at a minimum.
Kershaw flipper,bandana,cash,c.c. no phone .
Been packing a pocket knife daily since I was about 10 years old.

Presently packing a Buck 110 in a belt sheath.

Always have a handgun, and a backup on me, and two paper towels in my back pockets.

Virgil B.
Once paper towels and Kleenex became a thing, I quit carrying a handkerchief. 😉
Some of you miss the obvious fact that you can keep a clean handkerchief in your pocket and still display a snot-encrusted pair of shirt sleeves to everyone around you. Or litter the ground with Kleenex.
My old man told me to wear a belt, and keep a pocketknife and a hanky in my my pocket. I have for as long as I can remember.

There are a lot of females pretending to be men on this site. A farmers blow when appropriate is just that. Makes me wonder how many here have never had stitches, or ate a sandwich with dirty hands. Probably wear gloves to keep blood of their hands when they dress their "harvest" lolololol

I don't even wash my hands after I wipe my ass.
I don't believe anyone here has said a "farmer blow" is never appropriate. You'd get a helluva frown doing it at the dinner table though. Likewise wiping your nose with your sleeve. Times and places, BGG. And while I'm at it, who is more likely to carry a pack of tissues: a woman or a man?

You could prove your troglodytic manhood by just letting it drip unimpeded. You might even enjoy it as a condiment on your sandwich.
I have carried a knife of some kind since I was 10 years old. For the last 30 years its usually been two. A lock blade of some kind and a small multi tool. Always a belt and a lighter. Sometimes a snot rag, but its not for snot.
Some of you miss the obvious fact that you can keep a clean handkerchief in your pocket and still display a snot-encrusted pair of shirt sleeves to everyone around you. Or litter the ground with Kleenex.

And there is the definitive slam. Kleenex users are litterbugs.
Solution is to carry a roll of butt wipe and jar of water everywhere for the simple fact that if you really snot it up, drop it on the ground it will start dissolving in 1 min. If really concerned that you didn’t snot it up enough dump some water on it from the jar. 😁
Last week the Wife and I drove up Debeque Canyon to look at wintering turkey and elk. Wife: “Stop! Someone lost a handkerchief” (one of those red and white jobs). It was about 15’ off the road in some brush. I told her She didn’t want that one…but She insisted, She even picked it up before discarding it.
Adults also need a pen or pencil while in the workplace.MF'ers always needing to bum one irritated me to no end. Same people never had a knife either.
I always carry a knife but have never carried a handkerchief. Nasty.
Personal EDC: Victorinox Climber. Purchased at Zermatt near Matterhorn.

Thumb block.

Shemag.

Folded kitchen paper towel.
We have limited options when our nose runs. We can ignore it until the snot runs into our mouth. We can blow it on the ground (hopefully). Or we can wipe/blow it on something.

Assuming the latter choice, the options are: our clothes, a paper product, or a fabric product.

Using your sleeves is disgusting (even though we're all guilty) and unsanitary. Using a flimsy paper product often results in leaks to our hands, and leaves us with the need to dispose of the soiled mess. Using a handkerchief eliminates litter, allows multiple uses, never suffers blowout, and can be folded to prevent leakage.

You may decide if you want to swallow your snot, have it decorate your shirt, get thrown to the ground alone or wrapped in tissue, or folded into a sturdy square of cloth.

But also know that if your nose DOESN'T run, a clean handkerchief has many other uses.
Just don't wipe your azz with it then catch your runny nose.
Didn't read the whole thread but nail clippers are always in my pocket with my knife.

I cannot stand my nails being any too long or having dirt under them. I have extremely dry skin so they are handy for keeping those little snags clipped off. Also used for cutting my fishing line.

Uncle, grandad, and great grand always had clippers on em as well as pliers and a pocket watch.

Flashlight on keyring. Flashlight on phones suck, no way to tighten the beam up.

I use mine but much rather have the Streamlight that's on my truck key or one of the others the size of a AAA flashlight, both are far brighter than a phone and I wouldn't be bothered nearly as much if a flashlight took a drink in a manhole, meter pit or other wet locations.
Hockinaloogie:

Over 10'...you've worked in a factory.
Sweet Jesus, if you are draining so much from the head to necessitate a handkerchief or sleeve every 10 seconds, you probably should either see a doctor or stay the fugg home.
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Sweet Jesus, if you are draining so much from the head to necessitate a handkerchief or sleeve every 10 seconds, you probably should either see a doctor or stay the fugg home.
This.
How often do some of you blow your nose????
Unless I'm sick, it is a rare occurrence. I have an office, a truck always around, or I'm in a house. All three have the necessary items to get the job done.
I don't hunt without some tp and kleenex in my pockets.
Either for bodily functions or for marking the point of the shot. This is a really strange hill to die on for some here.
No handkerchief but I do carry a skeleton and three different knifes and a box cutter. I also have a sak minicamp on my key lanyard and a zippo lighter and I don’t smoke.
No hill to die on, Rum. But is certainly interesting the strong feelings some people have about an innocent square of cloth.

I carry one because I have found them to be inordinately useful for so many things besides blowing my nose - which is one of the least often things I do with one. Exactly like a pocketknife and cash are. That was the reason for my original post.
This.
How often do some of you blow your nose????
Unless I'm sick, it is a rare occurrence. I have an office, a truck always around, or I'm in a house. All three have the necessary items to get the job done.
I don't hunt without some tp and kleenex in my pockets.
Either for bodily functions or for marking the point of the shot. This is a really strange hill to die on for some here.
30° temps tend to get the nose running.
No handkerchief. I don't see the point of carrying a pocket full of boogers around with me. I've used a sock to wipe my azz once or twice in a pinch. I have a flashlight on my phone. Yes to a pocketknife. My keychain has my housekey and my gun vault key. My FIL used to carry around a keyring that would be the envy of any university janitor. He couldn't understand why he wrecked the ignition in his car and truck.
The idea of carrying tissues around like grandma is hilarious. Some posters have never dealt with season allergies, or allergies to perfumes (only women wear perfume).
Some forget that a lot of this is "tradition".

Not many throw away tissues or TP around even 70 years ago. Grow up around a bunch of old timers and they always had a cotton hanky, some passed it on.
I've always got two flashlights, a folding knife, and some cash, not to mention a sidearm.
worked with a crew of 20 people I was the only one that carried a knife [old guy of the crew],
TP or porta potty is the most important part of the job [ older i get the more important].
Always have TP ,paper towles or rags in the trucks, excavators, pickup has 4 other knives machiti ,hatchet case of water, some cordage, extra fuel. garbage bag in every vehicle

Norm
The idea of carrying tissues around like grandma is hilarious. Some posters have never dealt with season allergies, or allergies to perfumes (only women wear perfume).
Correct, they are men and don't whine about "seasonal allergies"
Even my dog has this handkerchief thing figured out.

[Linked Image from thesixgunjournal.net]

This old RAT II is my favorite lightweight pocket knife. Gets scary sharp, holds an edge well and resharpens easily. Five bucks at an outdoor market.

Always have my spyderco police model folder, S&W 2 1/2"M19, and cash. Never have I carried/worn a handkerchief, wallet, ring, necklace or wristwatch.
Always keep a lighter, spare speed loaders, wallet, flashlight and sometimes a phone in the truck.
Rocky’s all in on the snot rag. Lol.

I guess if my face leaked enough to justify carrying a hanky, I would. As it is, I get by just fine without.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
or ate a sandwich with dirty hands.

Worm guts on the fingers, while putting in 3 fingers worth of cope snuff was exhilarating.

Back in my chewing days, of course.

Hah!
I enjoy the “twang” worm dirt and fish blood give to Vienna sausages. Especially that first one that has to be cajoled outta the can.
Neither. I like the idea of both. It’s Americana. Realistically though I can’t see carrying a hanky. A pocket knife comes in handy but it’s a 50/50 deal. Keys in one front pocket, phone in the other and wallet in the back doesn’t leave a lot of room for a pocket knife especially if you’re carrying.
Mooner, I rarely use my handkerchief to blow my nose. But I find a lot of other uses for it AS I'VE BEEN TRYING TO EXPLAIN ALL ALONG BUT SOME IDJITS JUST CAN'T UNDERSTAND.
I've carried a pocket knife since I was a small boy. I wouldn't think of going outdoors or leaving home without one. A bandana, folded and tucked in my right hip pocket has long been a daily carry item. One is very handy for so many things.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Neither. I like the idea of both. It’s Americana. Realistically though I can’t see carrying a hanky. A pocket knife comes in handy but it’s a 50/50 deal. Keys in one front pocket, phone in the other and wallet in the back doesn’t leave a lot of room for a pocket knife especially if you’re carrying.
If not carrying is when I would make damn sure I had a pocket knife. If keys took up so much room I couldn't carry my knife I would find a different solution for the keys.

Only key that ever goes in my pocket is a vehicle key. Other "needed" keys stay on a ring in the vehicles.
My cash, and cards are in my left front pocket.
Mooner, I rarely use my handkerchief to blow my nose. But I find a lot of other uses for it AS I'VE BEEN TRYING TO EXPLAIN ALL ALONG BUT SOME IDJITS JUST CAN'T UNDERSTAND.

It’s useful for a lot of things like you said. Haven’t seen I mentioned, it if it’s not seen too many wash cycles the threads can double as floss if yo can pick one off the edge.

But I use mine primarily to blow my nose.

Nancies be damned.

“Ooh thats gross” lol. Fücking chicks parading around in drag
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Even my dog has this handkerchief thing figured out.

This old RAT II is my favorite lightweight pocket knife. Gets scary sharp, holds an edge well and resharpens easily. Five bucks at an outdoor market.

Another use for a hanfkerchief! You could pull that little pocket pistol, holster and all out wrapped in a handkerchief switch pockets with no one the wiser...it would also do a nice job of muting any print on your pants pocket!

There, I made the assertion that a true man is never without a pocketknife, a handkerchief, and some cash. Most people had no issue with the knife or cash, but pooh-poohed the handkerchief a bit. Some even suggested that as long as there are shirt sleeves, one does not need a handkerchief. That was possibly a joke. Maybe.

However, I would like now to point out that a handkerchief is valuable for more than blowing one's nose.

Discussion?

I use my ascot for blowing one's nose. I find that a nice paisley ascot can hide an entire week's accumulation of snot before being laundered.

YMMV.
I'm not sure I've ever seen handkerchiefs in stores. Bandanas yes, but handkerchiefs no. I'm sure they are there somewhere. Regardless, I'm not a fan of saving snot in my pocket so I can wipe it on my sweaty head later in the day. I've worked and played outdoors my whole life and it's always been the farmers blow for me. Maybe I'm barbaric, but I'm sticking with shirt sleeves and Kleenex.
With all that stuff in your pants pockets - It doesn't leave much room to play pool.
Pocketknife-heck yes. Really, who doesn't carry a pocketknife?

Handkerchief- Never been prone to a runny nose so don't need one. That's even after raising two kids and working daily in a dirty environment.

A pair of leather gloves, safety glasses, and disposable ear plugs are carried or very close by much of the time.

It’s useful for a lot of things like you said. Haven’t seen I mentioned, it if it’s not seen too many wash cycles the threads can double as floss if yo can pick one off the edge.

But I use mine primarily to blow my nose.

Nancies be damned.

“Ooh thats gross” lol. Fücking chicks parading around in drag

Do you make the loud elephant trunk trumpet sound so everyone in the Walmarks stop to look?
With all the crap one “needs” to carry with them every time they leave the house these days to “be prepared”, you may need a Badlands 4500 to go pick something up from Walmart
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
With all the crap one “needs” to carry with them every time they leave the house these days to “be prepared”, you may need a Badlands 4500 to go pick something up from Walmart

Is that pack Burns approved?
Men don't have seasonal allergies.

Do they make up stories about pistols they built and had published, but can’t recall the magazine or the month/year and say their only copy was lost in a flood? Lol
Congratulations, you win the internet today…. for the most ignorant and unintelligent comment ever.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Congratulations, you win the internet today…. for the most ignorant and unintelligent comment ever.
No worse than bigotgoatgruffs constant bullshyt.

Do they make up stories about pistols they built and had published, but can’t recall the magazine or the month/year and say their only copy was lost in a flood? Lol
No. Dummy.

No. Dummy.

So by your own admission you are not a man.

Interesting.

No. Dummy.

So by your own admission you are not a man.

Interesting.
I said no such thing. Dummy.

#awkward

Careful….

You’ll suffer the wrath of the steel toes…..

And brambles…
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Careful….

And brambles…
Boy you sure get a lot of mileage out of that. So tell me Dave, what would you do to prevent your dog from being attacked by another dog ? Hmmm, pull your gun and shoot the other dog ? Yeah, good idea in town. Almost certain to get the cops involved and most likely result in criminal charges and revocation of your pistol license unless you have bloody bite marks yourself. Let your dog be attacked and pay the resultant vet bills ? Doesn't seem wise. Kick it with your big manly crocs ? Somehow the effectiveness is doubtful.. I chose to kick hell out of the fugger with my boots. Me and my dog went home unscathed, the other dog is still alive as far as I know and no cops or vet bills were involved. Got a better idea genius, lets hear it ?

Careful….

And brambles…
Boy you sure get a lot of mileage out of that. So tell me Dave, what would you do to prevent your dog from being attacked by another dog ? Hmmm, pull your gun and shoot the other dog ? Yeah, good idea in town. Almost certain to get the cops involved and most likely result in criminal charges and revocation of your pistol license unless you have bloody bite marks yourself. Let your dog be attacked and pay the resultant vet bills ? Doesn't seem wise. Kick it with your big manly crocs ? Somehow the effectiveness is doubtful.. I chose to kick hell out of the fugger with my boots. Me and my dog went home unscathed, the other dog is still alive as far as I know and no cops or vet bills were involved. Got a better idea genius, lets hear it ?

Sure you did lol. Just like you had a 1911 you built showcased on the cover of a magazine you do t remember

Careful….

And brambles…

[Linked Image from ]
That's what I thought. You got nothing.

Careful….

And brambles…

Sure you did lol. Just like you had a 1911 you built showcased on the cover of a magazine you do t remember
Your memory sucks as bad as your personality. It was a rifle dumbass. But yes, there were 1911's I built in magazines too, as well as on the tables at SHOT and the NRA show. Something unlikely to ever be said for your knives that look like they were made by a kid in shop class.

I’m just letting you keep on running your head.

You get called out in your keyboard commando BS and then get mad.

Act like a lil b itch.

It’s your lies. Tell em how you wish.
So….

You went from being a bonafide gunsmith to now an assembler for another company??

Woo weeeeeeeee

😂😂😂😂
Haven’t been without a knife on me since I was around 10 years old. Still have a picture or two of me with my Western on my belt. Pocket knives were cast offs from dad or grandfather until I was able to buy one of my own. Still have a couple.

Wallet and cash are always with me. Again, probably since I was 10 years old.

Used to carry a hankie, watch and a comb everyday too. Probably 30 years since I’ve done that.

Snuff can and keys round out the everyday items. Phone and pistol included often. Pistol in the truck when I’m at work, phone is with me more often now than the recent past.
So….

You went from being a bonafide gunsmith to now an assembler for another company??

Woo weeeeeeeee

😂😂😂😂
I did both you stupid ass hole.

I’m just letting you keep on running your head.

You get called out in your keyboard commando BS and then get mad.

Act like a lil b itch.

It’s your lies. Tell em how you wish.
Sure, you have no answer for what you'd do or what would be a better course of action but you flap your lips like a fuggin idiot as usual. You're useless and always have been. Talk about a little bitch. Look in the mirror and there you have it. It's easy to outdo a do nothing, know nothing loser like you. I certainly have no need to lie to accomplish that.. I do that every morning when I roll out of bed.
I’ve carried a pocket knife daily since 8 yrs old I’ve never carried a hanky I don’t have allergies but have used the occasional sock if needed😉
So….

Woo weeeeeeeee

😂😂😂😂

[Linked Image from media.makeameme.org]

You go girl!!

👍👍👍👍
So….

Woo weeeeeeeee

😂😂😂😂

[Linked Image from media.makeameme.org]

You go girl!!

👍👍👍👍
What do you do for a living ? Nevermind you lying sack of shyt. You never have had a straight answer for anything.
Watch the language Bro Blackfart….

Occupation?

CWI in a fab shop.

Pretty much watch others work, tell them when they screw up.

Ride around on the golf cart.

Bang out some reports on the computer….

Never made no magazines though….

If i did, prolly couldn’t remember which ones either.
Posted By: EdM Re: Pocketknives and handkerchiefs - 01/08/23
The key for the specific vehicle I am driving and my wallet. The iPhone will be in the car or on the kitchen counter and rarely in my pocket. If I am home my pockets are empty.
Watch the language Bro Blackfart….

Occupation?

CWI in a fab shop.

Pretty much watch others work, tell them when they screw up.

Ride around on the golf cart.

Bang out some reports on the computer….

Never made no magazines though….

If i did, prolly couldn’t remember which ones either.
Sure you do. Liar.
5 days a week. Sometimes Saturday’s.

No Weds this month.

I’ll take em off to hunt.
Sure, sure. Tell some more stories.
Originally Posted by Farming
As I type. Never a flashlight, and the handkerchief is because of current cold. Although a handkerchief or bandanna might be carried other times of year as situations dictate.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What are the knife and wallet?

Thanks.

Frank

Beats being on unemployment and a drain on society….

How many free spaghetti plates from the food pantry you up to a week?

#brambleon
Christ Almighty children, do I really have to post a pocket dump to get you all to STFU?
Please do!
Maybe it'll work!

Beats being on unemployment and a drain on society….

How many free spaghetti plates from the food pantry you up to a week?

#brambleon
No wonder your soft, lazy, ass doesn't mind wearing crocs and you find things that ordinary men do, like wearing boots and kicking a dog to prevent a dog fight so unbelievable. I bet the only "hunting" you do is waddling your fat ass the arduous 30 yards from your quad to your shooting house overlooking the feeder too. LOL
I bet you are outta breath after typing all that.

What the fug you even trying to say ?

English man.

English.

You say the same chit over and over.

#ramblingman
No wonder you were “non essential” and got laid the fug off.
Sounds to me like you've got being a drain on the company you "work" for {LOL} down to an art form and likely have for years.

English man.

English.

#ramblingman
I'm right and you know it loser.
I’ve never been on employment.

How does did you like working for the taxpayer?

Working for me??

😂😂😂

English man.

English.

#ramblingman
I'm right and you know it loser.

You are making a fool of yourself.

Go right ahead.

Carry on.
I’ve never been on employment.

How does did you like working for the taxpayer?

Working for me??

😂😂😂
WTH is that gobbledy gook ? English boy, English. LOL
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Christ Almighty children, do I really have to post a pocket dump to get you all to STFU?

As long as you have a hanky Sam.
Gotta have that to be a "true man".
Big Dave's a lazy, fat ass who does almost nothing "at work" by his own admission. What a surprise. LOL
Blah blah blah.

I’ll put it this way you can understand.

You were non essential? ✔️
You got laid off??✔️
You got unemployment?? ✔️

That’s pretty plain….
Big Dave's a lazy, fat ass who does almost nothing "at work" by his own admission. What a surprise. LOL

Keep making a fool outta yourself.

You keep saying the same thing over and over.

Tomorrow… instead of watching Matlock and Gunsmoke, work on some new stuff.
Blah blah blah.

I’ll put it this way you can understand.

You were non essential? ✔️
You got laid off??✔️
You got unemployment?? ✔️

That’s pretty plain….
I worked building guns in New York you fuggin moron. Of course we were deemed unessential and closed down by Governors orders.

Keep making a fool outta yourself.

You keep saying the same thing over and over.

Tomorrow… instead of watching Matlock and Gunsmoke, work on some new stuff.
You're too stupid to see you lost this exchange long ago but that is understandable given you're from the State with the lowest average IQ in the whole Country. Inbreeding does have it's down side.
If you were a wiZzz bang gunsmith…

Why not keep building them for yourself to sell?

The magazine quality guns….

😂😂😂😂👍👍😂😂😂😂
Did the gunsmith from Cali that everyone brags on stop building guns to?

🤷🤷🤷

He musta been essential.

😂😂😂😂😂👍👍
If you were a wiZzz bang gunsmith…

Why not keep building them for yourself to sell?

The magazine quality guns….

😂😂😂😂👍👍😂😂😂😂
Maybe because I was about to retire and didn't have the equipment stashed in my shed. Duh.
© 24hourcampfire