Posted By: las America's glorious national bird. - 01/20/23
At the dump yesterday. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
He looks mad
Originally Posted by rong
He looks mad

Thats cuz he see's more than we do.
Looks like he's fallen on hard times.
They can even make a dumpster look good.
I heard that they taste like chicken…
Just more signs of the Biden Economy.

He couldn't afford food.
Originally Posted by Morewood
Looks like he's fallen on hard times.
He got laid off from Facebook.
Eagles are scavengers & thieves. But, they gotta eat.
Was he visiting Nugget?
I saw a young one cruising a creek Monday. First one I’ve seen in 2023.

Ron
Originally Posted by Bwana338
I heard that they taste like chicken…

I wouldn't doubt it. Lol.
They are hell on ducks around here, and they fish pretty good. Watched one eating a duck, out on the ice this morning. The wife said he just tears and gulps. I told her it reminded me of the grandkids, on a rotisserie chicken.
Originally Posted by Heym06
They are hell on ducks around here, and they fish pretty good. Watched one eating a duck, out on the ice this morning. The wife said he just tears and gulps. I told her it reminded me of the grandkids, on a rotisserie chicken.

Seen one devour a coot yesterday on a live cam. Ate the whole thing bones/feet and all after ripping it into bite size chunks.
In the dumpster would be a good place for him.

Nothing but a white headed buzzard.

Nothing more than a scavenger, pretty fitting for our "national bird"!!
Doing the job Biden wouldn’t….keeping the trash out!
The Baldie's

Have a few that hang around here in the winter

Golden's all year long and somewhat larger
This guy doesn’t mess around.

I bet they are hell on chickens
Originally Posted by hanco
I bet they are hell on chickens
I know great horned owls are.
Ya well we have a couple of nest just down the road from us and there is a reason these things were almost gone ! we have seen them take everything from small game to cats and turkeys. we just had one decide to camp in a big oak tree just off the south side of our barn lot about 2 weeks ago and the wife tells me we are now down to 1 barn cat. I will bet that is why he stayed around here so long. the neighbor has lost most of his chickens to them sumbitches too.
las: I blame china joe bidenflation.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
The internet has very few recipes for Bald Eagle.

I recommend bacon wrapping.

Bacon solves 99.99% of all problems.
Originally Posted by jar
Ya well we have a couple of nest just down the road from us and there is a reason these things were almost gone ! we have seen them take everything from small game to cats and turkeys. we just had one decide to camp in a big oak tree just off the south side of our barn lot about 2 weeks ago and the wife tells me we are now down to 1 barn cat. I will bet that is why he stayed around here so long. the neighbor has lost most of his chickens to them sumbitches too.
They haven't hurt the duck population so bad as they phuu.uck up the smaller lakes the ducks seemed to like. We saw 8 around a 340 acre lake 2 winters ago, not a duck in sight and that lake is normally a duck hot hole.

Saw 3 on an irrigation lake 3 or 4 years ago. Had a group of 4 mallards pinned up to an under cut bank. I wouldn't doubt what 1 or all of the ducks didn't live to see dark.

I have never understood why we control 4 legged predators but not the ones overhead which are far more deadly/efficient. Then those night birds, talk about killers.

Not sure about this but have read/heard that a baldie will kill just to kill as well, not necessarily kill just to eat. Like I said, unsure on the truth to this.

Not impressed with em myself.
To me the bald eagle is a symbol of our country and a proud noble bird, even though I have seen them steal osprey catches many times... :

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Around here you can see a redtail hawk every other telephone pole. we used to try to take them out every chance you got but these eagles are our nations bird and with respect they are very noble , but they are terrible for all other critters ! period ! I used to run a bunch of beagles and had a lifetime of memories and my own bloodline of very good hunting dogs but between the local farmers now planting from road ditch to road ditch and pushing all the fences and brush out there is no rabbits within a 75 mile circle from here , unless you drive into town at night. small game has no chance in these parts no more ! so Ive taken to killin them preditors. of all kinds. ever put a no 2 leg trap on top of a hedge corner post ?
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Eagles are scavengers & thieves. But, they gotta eat.
They're not bad hunters either.

I'm glad this one took one of the invasive Eurasian collared doves in front of the house, went to a neighboring pole, and ate it like the hawk ate that rat.
Ravens harass the hell out of them. It’s fun to watch.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
The internet has very few recipes for Bald Eagle.

I recommend bacon wrapping.

Bacon solves 99.99% of all problems.

Smoked and wrapped with bacon will make anything palletable.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Ravens harass the hell out of them. It’s fun to watch.
When I worked overlooking the harbor in Auke Bay, I watched the ones that had a nest leave their tree and slowly swoop across the harbor flying low over the outside dock. The gulls would all take off, no doubt baldy was looking for a sick/injured one.

The Northwestern crows would always gather along the dock area to pick nets and scraps, and up near our offices in winter to get after the mountain ash berries.

One day, a bunch of cawing going on and I knew the crows were mobbing something. Had to work my way down the hallway looking out coworkers windows to find out just where the majority of the hoopla was happening. Got to the end office, window looked out on a big spruce there. Bunch of crows scattered around in the branches and there on one of the bigger ones was baldy, crow under his foot pinned to the branch, calmly plucking away at feathers and eating crow.

I was glad something finally got one of those noisy fuggers!
© 24hourcampfire