Home
Posted By: dpd First chew or dip - 01/22/23
How old were you when you had your first chew of tobacco or first dip ? I was 15. First big dip of Skoal ... July in south Louisiana . The temperature was mid 90’s . I was in a 14ft boat running catfish lines on a lake with white caps . I turned green then threw my guts up .
Posted By: wabigoon Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
My Dad's Key. It looked like chocolate cake. laugh
Posted By: MPat70 Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
I was probably in the neighborhood of 10-12yrs old. I can't remember if it made me sick, but I know my first cigar at 15 knocked my dîck in the dirt.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
Only once, mid-twenties, I never smoked, that jolt of unfamiliar nicotine had my heart beating so hard I thought I might suffer a heart attack.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
Redman.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
11, Copenhagen
Posted By: stxhunter Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
13, Copenhagen
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
6 or so. Would have been Red Man or Skoal as that's what the step dad chewed.

Got sicker than hell regardless.

Sometimes he had em both in at the same time.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
10 been looked ever since
Posted By: kevinJ Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
13 Copenhagen snuff

Dipped that from that day on till I was 33. Quit cold Turkey and never looked back
Posted By: Teeder Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
8-9, Cope and/or a plug of brown mule, I think it was called? Sick as a dog!😄
I didn't chew much, but kind of liked beechnut.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
At least 79..Cause I'm ain't never chawed yet. Disgusting habit. Guy I shoot Sporting Clays with chews and he's always spitting all over.
Posted By: fester Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
Cope.
Puked hard
Posted By: memtb Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
First and last around 1980/81, at 29 or 30 years old. I was in hour number 1 of a 12 hour shift…..got “sick as a dog”! Not my smartest decision! memtb
Posted By: AML Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
Copenhagen at 12. Made me sick. A few years later I started with skoal and didn't quit for about 11 years. Nasty habit.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
7 or 8.

WB Cut.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
I need to give it up
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
At least 79..Cause I'm ain't never chawed yet. Disgusting habit. Guy I shoot Sporting Clays with chews and he's always spitting all over.

You might find yourself more comfortable at a sewing circle.
Posted By: jnyork Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
Only tried it once, that was more than enough.
Posted By: Dess Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
No.

But I was pitching and the catcher asked me to drill someone who was chewing for the first time. Slow curveball that "got away" from me. Right between the shoulder blades. He gulped....and instantly regretted it.

Funny at the time, but not my proudest moment in sportsmanship.
Posted By: paguy Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
9 Copenhagen, Still going strong.
Posted By: fester Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
I still dip cope long cut straight.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
Around 18 when I was in the Infantry and quit smoking.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
Never happened; sort of in the same category as tatoos.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: First chew or dip - 01/22/23
You can always tell if a chewer is a level-headed person - the juice runs out both sides of his mouth.
Posted By: fester Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
Originally Posted by 5sdad
You can always tell if a chewer is a level-headed person - the juice runs out both sides of his mouth.
Lol
I’m not a spit chewer. I swallow.🤷🏻‍♂️😂
Posted By: TheKid Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
7, got into my daddy’s Kodiak. Put a pinch right on my tongue and instantly spit it out.

Again at 11 or 12 with a buddy and a can of Skoal Straight. Got dizzy as hell but hung in there to save face. That was all it took and I was getting high school kids to buy me my own can or swiping a pinch from my dad when he wasn’t looking.

Quit when I was 26 and it like to have killed me.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
Haven't chewed in 30 years and I'm still addicted, pretty much miss it every day.
18 just out of boot camp

Skoal
Posted By: stxhunter Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
Never got sick from it, I'd dip in class and just swallow it. Teachers would catch you and give you the option of licks or swallowing the dip. I'd swallow it then get another dip later.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
Snnuck some of uncles Redman around 9 or 10. Dip probably 13.
Posted By: dwiles Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
Kodiak Wintergreen I was 16, switched to Cope about a month later and dipped that for 20 years. On my 36th Birthday I quit cold turkey. Been quit almost 6 years now but sometimes I still reach for it in my pocket out of nowhere.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I need to give it up
I quit cold turkey just before Christmas. So far so good. Peppermint is my friend 👍🏻
Posted By: Jahrs Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
Definitely swallowed Redman gold. Sweet stuff it was until I lost a tooth. Gave it up after that.

First time I chewed seriously was on a bus heading to a Miami dolphins game with 40 guys from work. On the way back after a day of drinking i drank out of the spit can rather than the beer can. They both looked the same after awhile.
Posted By: TXRam Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
I was 8. Some of the older kids on the bus had some Skoal bandits, and they thought it would be funny to offer one to us younger guys and watch us get sick. Think I was the only one that tried it, and I did fine. Neighbor girl told my mom, but she didn't believe it. I told her I did, and she thought the best course of action was to buy me a can and make me dip it (thinking I’d get sick and never do it again, but I liked it and didn’t get sick). That was the last can she bought me, but my grandpa who chewed Redman would buy me a can every now and then. 40 something years later, and I do dip Skoal longcut straight but maybe a can a month (only when jhunting, fishing, mowing, etc.).
Posted By: Heym06 Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
Around ten or so I cut a piece off of my uncles Days Work. Chewed it for a while, until some juice got down my throat. Tonsils acted like pinball flippers, and I was like, Ralph looking for a Buick!
Posted By: Tarbe Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
15. Plow Boy

Then Red Man

Then Copenhagen

Finally quit at 44.
Posted By: hanco Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
Never ever had that cshit in my mouth.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
Nastiest habit I’ve ever seen. I have never understood it.
Posted By: 160user Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
I am guessing I was around 8-10. My great Grandfather chewed Rite-Cut I believe it was called. I think it was a mixture of sawdust, chit that wasn't good enough for catfish bait and dog food. I got really sick! He ended up moving in with us later in life when he couldn't care for himself anymore. One of my sisters duties was to empty his spitoon each day. I swore I would NEVER chew again. Fast forward 10 years or so......I was fighting fire in Idaho for the summer as a 19 year old punk kid and started smoking cigarettes. Somewhere I decided to chew to help me quit smoking. Here I am 32 years later still smoking Camels and gutting Copenhagen.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
I used some Rite Cut, it was different.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
Been chewing Copenhagen long cut since I was 13. Once in a while, I get a bag of Beechnut.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
I got sick on Red Man when I was a kid.
Posted By: Farming Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
Somewhere between 10 and 12, can’t remember if it was Applejack, Beechnut, or Redman. Definitely some kind of leaf tobacco.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
Age 5 - welder on the I-25 bypass of Raton gave me a chew. BOY was I sick! Dad just laughed.
Posted By: rem shooter Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
first dip I was 11 , got it from my dad ,it was Skoal ,. but me and my buddies preferred Copenhagen . dipped till i was 35 , quit cold turkey
Posted By: Nykki Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
Tried Days Work when I was 15 turned green but didn't puke, girlfriend thought it was hilarious. Wasn't something I got into.
Posted By: Dess Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
Went to my niece's wedding. One of the bridesmaids was sharing a dip of Copenhagen with the groomsmen. Yeah...classy.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
Ant heads.
Worm dirt. 😳
Posted By: 270cowboy Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
Around 12 -Gold river
Skoal Happy Days

Copenhagen junkie ever since
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
I was out cat fishing by fire light on the edge of the snake River near Burley age 15 or so. I tried a dip of Copenhagen and then turned green and puked for about 30 minutes. I was shocked by what a strong effect it had on me and never tried it again.

Bb
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
13 years old…Skoal. Got dizzy and puked my guts out about an hour later. 😵‍💫🤮 Ended up chewing Gold River and Mail Pouch for about a year, until I figured out that money was better spent on gas money for my dirt bike. I haven’t done it since then.
Posted By: smallfry Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
3rd grade
Posted By: baldhunter Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
I started when I was 12.Copenhagen and chewing tobacco.At 36yrs old I decided I had enough tobacco addiction.The Nicoderm patch had just come out and I wanted to try it.I went to my doctor and got a prescription for it.It cost me $58.00 for the 14 day supply of the 21mg patch.After that it was a 14mg and a 7mg patch.I never got to the later two,I quit the patches after 12 days.It's been 30yrs now I have been totally tobacco free.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
I can't remember when I first started.
A friend and me went to the park to play
basketball or some something, and I either
went to the john or water fountain or
something and he went running past me and
2 20 somethings in hot pursuit. I thought he
had stolen their wallets, but one had laid down
a can of skoal and he ran over and grabbed it.
He ran over by the school and whistled at me as
I walked by and wanted to have a dip. It
wasn't too bad, but it started me down that
long expensive tobacco habit road. Copenhagen,
Skoal, Redwood, Red man, Conwood, Grizzly,
all the Fred Stoker varieties, etc. etc.
If I had all that money today I could pay
several bills or buy a good bit of ammunition
or a new-to-me gun or two or three
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: First chew or dip - 01/23/23
One small good thing about it
Those all plastic snuff boxes make good
pocket tackle boxes, or a good box for
some fire tinder, or a hunting pot box
like some acquaintances use them for.
They'll hold a good many 22LR shells too
© 24hourcampfire