Home
Posted By: WYcoyote Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
a horse?
They are supposed to be good.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
Nope, just the Ponderosa steak house...
No but I've sold horses to the meat market.
I would give it a whirl.
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
Ate Zebra flank steak in Africa, no wild taste at all. Grilled in strips like fajita on a grill. It was quite tasty.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
I’ll be durn

That Arby’s has everything
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
Ate Zebra flank steak in Africa, no wild taste at all. Grilled in strips like fajita on a grill. It was quite tasty.

Would be very interested in hearing what "wild taste" is....
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Wild taste is when you haul your 30/30 gut shot whitetail around all over town on a 70degree day. To Chad at Napa, Darnell at the Phillips66, Colton at the Co-Op Tire and Tune up center, then to Daisy at the check cashing place, then to PeePaw’s nursing hometo wave thru the big glass window. Then finally onto Pete’s Processing where he tosses it on a stack of 40 other carcasses for another 8 hours.
Then Chase and Kyle hack it up while spitting Copenhagen juice everywhere in the processing room.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
Originally Posted by slumlord

Wild taste is when you haul your 30/30 gut shot whitetail around all over town on a 70degree day. To Chad at Napa, Darnell at the Phillips66, Colton at the Co-Op Tire and Tune up center, then to Daisy at the check cashing place, then to PeePaw’s nursing hometo wave thru the big glass window. Then finally onto Pete’s Processing where he tosses it on a stack of 40 other carcasses for another 8 hours.
Then Chase and Kyle hack it up while spitting Copenhagen juice everywhere in the processing room.

Put this definition in Websters!
Nope. Just a filly cheese steak...
Plenty of times when mustangs weren't protected holy spirits of the desert. We had too many then, and we're over run with the bastids now.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Lol
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23

Gamey, grass fed, organic
It’s a favorite on the Iditarod trail.
Posted By: 79S Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23

Lol well mule deer now knows what wild/gamy is.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
Had a Yak ribeye a few years ago.
Posted By: ERK Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
You know games when you taste it. Edk
Posted By: KC Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
no
Posted By: pete53 Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
i would try a steak on a young healthy horse might be a real treat ? World War 2 vets that were with the English soldiers ate canned horse meat and was called bully beef .
Posted By: Raeford Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
Knowing this is a 'what about' thread, I'll still answer.
Yes, I have.
But the equine meat we ate was always topped/finished off on grain.
It fell somewhere between beef & well cared for venison IMO

That's been my general experience as well....
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
When People talk about wild game taste, i tell them Elk taste like Elk , Mule Deer taste like Mule Deer,Speed Goat Tastes like Speed Goat, Same is true for African Planes game, assuming the meat is well cared for it tastes like what it is, not gamey. Rio7

Slum is an artist with words…

#truth
yes. backwoods steak house in Idaho in 1983 or so.

a rib steak that draped over three sides of a large hot dinner plate...

no written menu.

just" bone in rib steak special?

and instructed not to say "giddeup" at the dinner table.

tasty
Pretty sure I ate some horse in France - definitely didn’t taste like beef. Not bad - just different.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
No, but have enjoyed water buffalo many times. Dog-on-a-Log also. laugh
Originally Posted by RIO7
When People talk about wild game taste, i tell them Elk taste like Elk , Mule Deer taste like Mule Deer,Speed Goat Tastes like Speed Goat, Same is true for African Planes game, assuming the meat is well cared for it tastes like what it is, not gamey. Rio7
We killed an old grizzled, long tined 2x2 mule deer on the top of a mountain about forty years ago. The temp was about 28 F, with a 15 mph wind and blowing snow.

The carcass was properly gutted and skinned within 30 minutes of the shot. Then hung overnight in a tree to wait for horses to transport.

That old buck's neck was about as big around as a basketball.

And yes, he was "gamey". You could smell a chop cooking from two blocks away. Mixed 1 part in three with good ground beef, the burger was still strong.

And yes, I have tasted the same from domestic meat. An old billy goat, or boar hog, for example.

In a lifetime of killing and eating muledeer and elk, that is the only one I have found actually distasteful.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
We used to have a sale barn that only did horses, mules and donkeys. Supposedly most of the meat went to France while the hides stayed here.

kwg
Posted By: ipopum Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
Not a Rib-Eye but other cuts from a Yearling colt hat had a broken leg. It was very good but most could not get by the horse idea.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
Just like everything, including us.
You are what you eat. A mule deer living in the sage brush all its life is going to taste distinctly different than one that lived its life in the high mountains. Not saying either is gamey, just different.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
Originally Posted by RUM7
Just like everything, including us.
You are what you eat. A mule deer living in the sage brush all its life is going to taste distinctly different than one that lived its life in the high mountains. Not saying either is gamey, just different.

I'd add river bottom croplands.

Maybe the best?
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/24/23
River and pasture Mule deer always had a better flavor than a sage or grease wood Mule deer, old rutting bucks can be rank. Rio7
A friend and his brothers deal in stocks, and were on the hunt for a
Tasty Nag. I told them I wanted 3 or 4 nice steaks when they got one.

Their Mother got wind of it and put a stop to it.
She was(Rightly) worried about the Crap Storm if it became known.
Had some Llama from those guys. Not bad. I'd eat it again.
My Bro in law and I were back from New Mexico with a couple of cow elk we’d killed and we were cutting and packaging the meat as we brought them back in quarters.

There was some hillbilly type fellas who Jim was letting hunt raccoons that saw the gate was open and dropped by. One of them saw the quarters and said something about were they from a horse. We said no it’s elk.

He said “We’ve had horse before, wasn’t bad” Just like that his partner says “Kinda stringy……..Gave me the $hits”

We laugh about that still

KC
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/25/23
Had raw horse in Japan. Sliced thin and dipped in a sesame sauce. Kinda fatty but very good.

Killed a buck in the mountains of PA. Very gamey. Stunk up the whole house when cooking. Every bite tasted like liver.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Ever eat rib-eye from.... - 01/25/23
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
This is interesting. I have not knowingly eaten horse meat, but grew up in the place where the cheese steak was invented/flourished back in the 50s. Even then, right in the sandwich shop where I often ate one during HS, there were frequent rumors/claims that the purveyors used horse meat and that the shredded/chopped/diced and sometimes gristly nature of stuff helped with the disguise. So, maybe I ate quite a bit of such stuff.
No
© 24hourcampfire