Home
Posted By: RockyRaab Virginia Launch Today - 01/24/23
Rocket Lab will attempt their first launch from US soil today using their Electron rocket. Launch window is 6:00 to 8:00 pm Eastern. More information and live webcast will be HERE
Posted By: slumlord Re: Virginia Launch Today - 01/24/23
Ok
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Virginia Launch Today - 01/24/23
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Rocket Lab will attempt their first launch from US soil today using their Electron rocket. Launch window is 6:00 to 8:00 pm Eastern. More information and live webcast will be HERE

Thanks.

Do you happen to know how much more it costs to launch there vs somewhere closer to the equator?

Regards
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Virginia Launch Today - 01/24/23
Not exactly. There is some loss, as you so astutely observed. The reason (for those less astute) is that at higher latitudes, the eastward rotation of the earth is slower, and at maximum at the equator. A rocket launched from the equator has about 1,000 mph "free" speed boost. The farther north you launch (assuming eastward orbit) the more of that lost initial velocity you have to overcome.

Math is not my forté but I'd guess that a launch from 45 degrees north latitude would sacrifice about half the equatorial boost.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Not exactly. There is some loss, as you so astutely observed. The reason (for those less astute) is that at higher latitudes, the eastward rotation of the earth is slower, and at maximum at the equator. A rocket launched from the equator has about 1,000 mph "free" speed boost. The farther north you launch (assuming eastward orbit) the more of that lost initial velocity you have to overcome.

Math is not my forté but I'd guess that a launch from 45 degrees north latitude would sacrifice about half the equatorial boost.

Thank you for the reply...

Economically, it must not be much of a concern. Space is expensive.

Regards
Buzz Aldrin was always a fan of diff eq.
T-20 minutes. Webcast here...

Posted By: RUM7 Re: Virginia Launch Today - 01/24/23
Man! Their rocket doesn't even look like a penis.
Bezos wouldn't approve.
Good launch to a good orbit.
© 24hourcampfire