Home
Posted By: ribka Military recruitment - 01/24/23

How many who served would join again?

Big no for me
Posted By: Winchester21 Re: Military recruitment - 01/24/23
I used to recommend the military to young men that had uncertain plans for the future. NO MORE.
Posted By: Teal Re: Military recruitment - 01/24/23
Probably would but my choice in how would change.
Posted By: Chase4556 Re: Military recruitment - 01/24/23
I’m currently in. It’s changed a lot since I joined. Looking forward to that retirement date. At the end of the day, the military is a SUPER easy way to have a job and security. Right time, Right place, Right uniform and just a little bit of a decent attitude toward it. I do my fair share of bitching, and it’s mainly about the stupidity and lack of common sense that seems to propagate these days. There is a lot of stupid stuff happening in the military, but also some good mixed in(new MPLP is one example).

It’s all situation dependent on if I’d say to join or not. Just was talking to the little brother of my wife’s closest friend. He was thinking about joining as a wheeled mechanic(wants to work on diesels). Told him to go Air Force 100% over Army and to not we think about the Marines(sorry to the Marines out there… yalls QOL is trash majority of the time).

In the end I got him to apply for Wyotech, go through the school and see where he lands. If he still wants/needs to join, go talk to the recruiters and see if they would cover any debts from Wyotech and join up.
Posted By: LBP Re: Military recruitment - 01/24/23
Hell no!
Posted By: 79S Re: Military recruitment - 01/24/23
Yeah why not. Made life long friends through the service. Besides I still be stuck in that 2 bit town making nothing for money. God Bless The U.S Army!
Originally Posted by Chase4556
In the end I got him to apply for Wyotech, go through the school and see where he lands. If he still wants/needs to join, go talk to the recruiters and see if they would cover any debts from Wyotech and join up.

From the perspective of a retired 30+ year automotive instructor with 60+ years as an auto, truck, aircraft, and industrial equipment mechanic- - - - - -Wyotech is "sorta-kinda" OK for getting the entry level skills to get his foot into the door at your average auto or truck shop over somebody who strolls in off the street with no formal training and applies for a job. RUN- - - - -DO NOT WALK away from Universal Tech- - - - - -they're a huge ripoff! Massive tuition costs, and incompetent instructors.

I'm almost ashamed to admit I spent 8 years in the USAF these days, but at least I didn't run off to Canada or burn my draft card in the 1960's!
Posted By: RAS Re: Military recruitment - 01/24/23
Only if the same kind of people I joined with also come back in with me.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Military recruitment - 01/24/23
20 or 30 years ago, I thought the best choice a young HS graduate was military service. I went in 2 years after graduation, not exactly because I wanted to, but as a young fellow starting a family, it seemed to be the best option.
4 years later I couldn’t wait to get home, and neither could Carol, so I got out and we returned to PA.
But I could recognize that the Army did a helluva lotta good for me, both in attitude and the way I see things.
I have often said of my service, “ I wouldn’t do it again for a million $, but I wouldn’t take 5 million for the experience”!
I would’ve recommended it to anyone starting their life, and I supported the idea of 2 years mandatory service after high school.
However, now 30 years later, you’d have to be blind not to see that we live in a completely different country from the one I grew up in, and swore my life to defend.
I respect those who serve, but I sure as hell wouldn’t recommend it for anyone, unless you’re maybe a man who wishes to be a woman.
It’s a damn poor joke to myself and thousands like me.
7mm
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Military recruitment - 01/24/23
Originally Posted by 79S
Yeah why not. Made life long friends through the service. Besides I still be stuck in that 2 bit town making nothing for money. God Bless The U.S Army!
I agree with you on this statement. It was not only a family tradition, it was also a great way to get out of a deadend deadbeat town with no prospects.

I would join all over again but I would make different choices as to my career path.
Posted By: deflave Re: Military recruitment - 01/24/23
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln

From the perspective of a retired 30+ year automotive instructor with 60+ years as an auto, truck, aircraft, and industrial equipment mechanic- - - - - -Wyotech is "sorta-kinda" OK for getting the entry level skills to get his foot into the door at your average auto or truck shop over somebody who strolls in off the street with no formal training and applies for a job. RUN- - - - -DO NOT WALK away from Universal Tech- - - - - -they're a huge ripoff! Massive tuition costs, and incompetent instructors.

I'm almost ashamed to admit I spent 8 years in the USAF these days, but at least I didn't run off to Canada or burn my draft card in the 1960's!

What happened to building NASCARs for 35 years?

LOL
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Military recruitment - 01/24/23
I wouldn't wanna be on detailed slave recruiting duty out their in this day and age.

Schit suuuked the root 98 - 01.
And homie has a gold badge with 3 sapphires from those 3 suuk azz years.
Homie hated recruiting command.

Homie was very successful cause homie can talk to anyone.

Homie was glad to leave being a fuuking detailed slave and go sleep on the ground in line dog world and meet new people once again on this rock spreading " goodwill".
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Military recruitment - 01/24/23
Originally Posted by RAS
Only if the same kind of people I joined with also come back in with me.
Boy, howdy, do I agree with that. I view the guys in my unit as brothers! We fought and bitched about each other, but the love was always there, and to let them down, woulda been shame worse than death!
I made some friends for life, much closer than my HS buddies who I still run into sometimes.
7mm
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Military recruitment - 01/24/23
It took a nose dive around 2000, now its off the charts.

A recent thing I witnessed is a black woman with big red lips and hair extensions bringing her troops through a riverbed and yelling “bang, bang, bang, bang, bang…”.

I already told y’all about the intel troop dudes with tits. I floored everyone in the lab when I was getting blood drawn by saying to one of the troops, “nice set of pecks, you use dumbbells or straight bar?”
Homie never put 1 female into a pair of boots into his army.
Homie let other recruiters in office put females into the Army from his 3 high schools.
Homie had a way of steering female walk ins to other recruiters in the office.

Homie had enough of female baloney in his life with Khanarella and 3 young daughters.

Homie fuuked alot of female soldiers in the Army when he was a single man.

Female support soldiers loved hanging around 11B land and the parties we would have long ago in a Galaxy far far away..
🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: Chase4556 Re: Military recruitment - 01/24/23
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln

I know nothing about it, was just the options he was tossing around. Wyotech or Military. Told him go to Wyotech, see what the military can offer you after. Pretty sure his mom and sister are hoping he gets a job after Wyotech and doesn’t join. Can’t blame them.
Posted By: goalie Re: Military recruitment - 01/24/23
I wouldn't trade my time in the corps for anything.

As for recommending it, I guess it depends where you're at in life. I didn't have money for college, was poor, and needed a swift kick in the azz. The Marines gave me the college money and the kick in the azz I needed.

If you don't need the money or the kick in the azz, I'd lean towards no.
Posted By: OGB Re: Military recruitment - 01/24/23
As 7mmb said, wouldn't trade my mil career for the world.

Traveled the planet, did, saw and expienced things that can't be bought with money.

Highest of highs and lowest of lows and I'd do it all again but not today.

Too much has changed and not for the better.

Don't even recommend it anymore.
I miss the Army at Times.
83-08
Being around Ftcky here in Clarksvegas.
I run into Brothers of all ages and ranks all the time around here.
And a talk can last for a hour or more.
Posted By: MAC Re: Military recruitment - 01/24/23
I spent 25 years on active duty. It was a great career. But I would not serve under the current clown show nor would I encourage anyone else to.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Military recruitment - 01/24/23
Originally Posted by renegade50
I miss the Army at Times.
83-08
Being around Ftcky here in Clarksvegas.
I run into Brothers of all ages and ranks all the time around here.
And a talk can last for a hour or more.

My old lady has a joke in that regard. When I hit the base gym, consulting, hospital, or just goofing around, she says “see you tomorrow”.

You get the Brothers together and time flys !
Posted By: deltakid Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
I kind of look at it in a pretty simplex way - there is approximately 50 % of this country that is not worth my time of day and the sweat off my gonads, and approximately 50% that are worth defending at all costs.
Posted By: ButchA61 Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
I miss the USCG so much!

1979 -- Jimmy Carter was president and unemployment was 11% -- At least in upstate New York. Almost everyone I knew in HS went into the military, others (rich kids) went to college. I was the last hold out, I guess you could say from the HS graduating class of 1979, to join the military. I spent the summer either stoned, or trying (in vain) to help my older brother-in-law with his construction business, which didn't quite work out. So many times, I thought he was going to kick my a$$ like you wouldn't believe! My older sister told him to give me another chance... etc... Finally, it just wasn't working out and, I had to swallow my pride and return home to the wrath of my WWII Army/Air Corps father.

Well, truth be known, we got into it. I was 18 years old, I was a man, and 10 feet tall and bulletproof as the saying goes. I did the most stupidest mistake any young man can make... During an escalation with my WWII dad and myself, I actually lunged forward and TOOK A SWING AT HIM! eek All I remember is connecting with the cigar is his mouth, knocking it out of his mouth, and then I saw a look in his eyes that I will never forget. I will take it to my grave... My father 6'3' 250lbs. Me a punk 18yr old kid with an attitude problem, 5'11" and maybe 150lbs, 160lbs... You know the outcome... eek

To this very day, all I remember is a giant "grizzly bear paw" type of hand pressing down on top of my head, while I flailed away with lefts and rights, swinging away, while my father instinctively knew how to avoid them. He soon had enough and pressed down with all his might, and collapsed me to my knees. All I could do was cry out for him to stop. I cried out for him to stop. He continued pressing downwards. Soon enough I was almost face down in the gravel driveway with my head in between my legs.

It was at THAT EXACT MOMENT that my life had changed. In retrospect, "Thank you, Pop!" I guess I needed that proverbial "swift kick in the a$$" and he provided it, let me tell you!

Then it was on to the discussion of joining the military, since jobs were nowhere to be found with 11% unemployment (thank you, Jimmy Carter). I remember my older brothers-in-law (Vietnam Vets) telling me to NEVER join the Army or the Navy. Then I had this realization that I have been involved with boating since I was like 10, 11, years old. I knew lakes, rivers, channels, buoys, etc... So the best bet was the US Coast Guard. But then I also had another option of the US Air Force (since both my parents were in WWII in the Army Air Corps (which developed into today's US Air Force).

Coast Guard or Air Force
Coast Guard or Air Force
Coast Guard or Air Force

In summary, The US Coast Guard won out, since I had way more experience (even as kid with small boating, navigation, lakes, rivers, etc...) And that was that. I served a career in the Coast Guard and wish I could do it all over again! cool
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
Fugg no, not a chance. And I would discourage anyone I know.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
Originally Posted by renegade50
I wouldn't wanna be on detailed slave recruiting duty out their in this day and age.

Schit suuuked the root 98 - 01.
And homie has a gold badge with 3 sapphires from those 3 suuk azz years.
Homie hated recruiting command.

Homie was very successful cause homie can talk to anyone.

Homie was glad to leave being a fuuking detailed slave and go sleep on the ground in line dog world and meet new people once again on this rock spreading " goodwill".
Interesting insight...
Had a young couple buy the house next door to us six months ago. He's an Army recruiter, just left a base in NY. They like to keep a very low profile, I did get a chance to talk to both of them a little. His wife told me that he did three tours in Afghanistan. They're both from Michigan, not sure what they plan on doing after his recruiter duties are finished.
Posted By: ButchA61 Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
In retrospect, looking back on my post that I wrote about my experience in 1979... Perhaps I am a generation (or even possibly two) trying to share my experience from what it was like back then...
Posted By: Huntz Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
My Grandsons enlistment was up when Joe Retard took office.He had 12 years in the Marines.He did not re up.He said friends who stayed in,regret it.
Posted By: Chase4556 Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
I wouldn’t trade my time for anything either.

Joined at 21 after college didn’t work out and my dad said “you need a better job and out of my house”. Was working at a local hobby shop at the time(rc planes, cars, boats, ect ect).

2010 I joined. I was a hydraulics repairman on helicopters. Got randomly selected out of AIT for 160th and spent 9 years with them in Savannah, Ga. Grew up there if you will. Finally got my head out of my ass and dropped a flight warrant packet and now flying Blackhawks. Those first 9 years were amazing, flight school was great and now these last 2 of being in regular army….. well it’s something. That’s where my hesitation to suggest the military to anyone comes from. If I could guarantee they were going to 160th I’d tell them to join every time.

7 years until retirement…. 7 years.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
I got out of the Airforce because of Carter... 😁
Twas stationed in the U.K. and getting ready to PCS back to the states, I was filling out my base of choice to return to. Due to my AFSC and my job assignment at Moldyhole they asked me if I would be interested in applying to work on Airforce One. I told the guy doing my paperwork oh hell no!
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
Joe won't be around forever. Personally, I liked the National Guard so much better than the active Army. But, I was in aviation and we always had people wanting to be in one of our units. I can't say that for Infantry or Cavalry.

kwg
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
I wouldn’t join again today and I no longer recommend joining.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
I'll have 26 years in next month. Coming to an end. Did 4 years active and got lucky and got a full time gig with the Air National Guard. Been around the world a couple times. Iraq, Afghanistan etc etc. 3 years in Germany, multiple trips to Alaska etc etc. Been good to me but I see the changes. Took longer to get to the Guard but they have infected us as well.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
One of the very few things I am truly proud of is my time in the Marines, and the deployments I went on. I joined because I wanted to be a Marine, no other reason and I suspect there's a fair number of 18 year olds today that feel the same. The entire USA isn't woke.

Things have changed but not like some of these videos portray, from what some friends I have still in tell me.

I'd join again in a heartbeat. No questions asked.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
Originally Posted by Winchester21
I used to recommend the military to young men that had uncertain plans for the future. NO MORE.

Same here. The military is a good part of what made me who I am now. But in this day and age with Marxist clowns running the US into the ground, I wouldn't enlist or recommend others to do so on a bet.

If you want the military experience, I suggest taking some French classes and joining the French Foreign Legion.
Posted By: funflyer Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
I punched out in 2014 after 32 years and is was getting worse every day. Couldn't imagine having to deal with the "woke" PC crowd of today.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
Presidents reside for 4-8 years. A military career spans 20+ years. I hated serving under Clinton and Obama but I made it through to better times. If I had it to do all over again, I'd serve another 27+ years. In every aspect of our lives we encounter stupidity, a lack of common sense, laziness, and some folks with an insatiable sense of entitlement. Why not join the military, deal with that same crap, and get an amazing retirement after only 20 years?

After that, do whatever you want, rather than what you have to do.
Posted By: Teal Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
Originally Posted by Dinny
Presidents reside for 4-8 years. A military career spans 20+ years. I hated serving under Clinton and Obama but I made it through to better times. If I had it to do all over again, I'd serve another 27+ years. In every aspect of our lives we encounter stupidity, a lack of common sense, laziness, and some folks with an insatiable sense of entitlement. Why not join the military, deal with that same crap, and get an amazing retirement after only 20 years?

After that, do whatever you want, rather than what you have to do.

As dumb as some things were when I was in (2002-2006) - the .civ world has beat all of it in some way/shape/form at one time or another. My son served 2018-2022 and he's shocked at how stupid the .civ world is even compared to how redic the .mil was.

If anyone really believes they avoid stupidity, wokeness and general dumbassery by avoiding a military career - they obviously never held a private sector job.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
I wouldn’t trade anything for my 21 years in the Air Force. I joined the Air Force when I was 21 and out of money for college. My high school sweetheart at the time ( now my wife) had her parent up and move away leaving her pretty much homeless at the time. I was going to join the Coast Guard and she had agreed to as well. Well, the CG recruiting office closest to us closed and consolidated to Memphis, TN. No way I was driving to another state, so I went 15 miles down the road and joined the Air Force. Wife said no to the AF, so it was just me that went in.

I’d probably still join today, but do it a little different for sure. My deployments to Bosnia, and Iraq helped make me who I am today. My son just hit 4 years in the Army NG and is wavering on getting out all together or going AD Air Force as an O. My only regret and my son knows it, is pulling my OTS package when I was in. I would have retired a minimum a Captain and O-3E retirement is better than E-7 retirement.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Military recruitment - 01/25/23
I see very few young people signing up for military service. I also here police officers saying that they dont want their children to become police either
© 24hourcampfire