Home
Posted By: akasparky How Does the Weather Work? - 01/25/23
Is God actually in control of all that he created?

Do catastrophic storms and droughts that cause chaos, destruction and death just happen because God didn't pay attention to details?

How's it all work?
When you have kids, are they always under your control?
So you feel our capabilities of having sex and procreating are equivalent to God creating the heaven's and earth?
Posted By: ol_mike Re: How Does the Weather Work? - 01/25/23
I think God likes to horse-around like some of the members here.
All I know about the weather is if you pay enough taxes to the government, the weather will be gooder.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: How Does the Weather Work? - 01/25/23
It's real simple. You burn some hydrocarbons for CO2 when you want it to warm up and drive an electric car when you want it to cool down.
😄
Posted By: Clarkm Re: How Does the Weather Work? - 01/25/23
I took atmospheric science 305 in 1975.

There were so many partial differential equations, it changed the way I write a "d".

The professor said there were other courses in the department, where you would be graded each day on your weather prediction.

Now with accuweather.com that would be easy.

https://www.accuweather.com/
Originally Posted by Fireball2
When you have kids, are they always under your control?

I thought God was omnipotent?

Lemme guess it's selective omnipotence, right?
Originally Posted by Backroads
All I know about the weather is if you pay enough taxes to the government, the weather will be gooder.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I don't think the weather works at all. It just kind of does what the solar system and sun and moon rotation and spinning does what happens naturally on a earth with land, mountains, and seas.
Posted By: shaman Re: How Does the Weather Work? - 01/25/23
It's all pretty simple at the heart of it. You have some very basic motivators:
1) The Earth rotates every 24hours, exposing one side to the sun. This causes differential heating
2) The equator gets the most insolation. The poles get the least
3) The Earth's is spinning and the atmosphere around it is spinning, but there is a constant West-to-East progression due to differences in the rate of spin.
4) The seasons are caused by tilt of the Earth in relation to its direction of revolution around the sun. One side of the planet gets tilted more to the sun at various times of the year.
5) Hot air rises and is less dense. Cold air sinks and is denser. Depending on the temperature of the air, it has a variable capacity to hold water vapor. If air cools, it will make the water vapor precipitate out.
6) It takes a lot of energy to make water freeze and thaw.

Throw all this together and what have you got? Bipity-Bopit-Boop! Weather.

Most of this can be demonstrated by a smart 7th grade science teacher with tabletop experiments. It's just that it all goes together in very complicated ways.

Armed with just a thermometer, a barometer, and a clear view of the sky, I can generally predict weather about 24 hours in advance.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I don't think the weather works at all. It just kind of does what the solar system and sun and moon rotation and spinning does what happens naturally on a earth with land, mountains, and seas.

AMEN
Posted By: Clarkm Re: How Does the Weather Work? - 01/25/23
Originally Posted by shaman
It's all pretty simple at the heart of it. You have some very basic motivators:
1) The Earth rotates every 24hours, exposing one side to the sun. This causes differential heating
2) The equator gets the most insolation. The poles get the least
3) The Earth's is spinning and the atmosphere around it is spinning, but there is a constant West-to-East progression due to differences in the rate of spin.
4) The seasons are caused by tilt of the Earth in relation to its direction of revolution around the sun. One side of the planet gets tilted more to the sun at various times of the year.
5) Hot air rises and is less dense. Cold air sinks and is denser. Depending on the temperature of the air, it has a variable capacity to hold water vapor. If air cools, it will make the water vapor precipitate out.
6) It takes a lot of energy to make water freeze and thaw.

Throw all this together and what have you got? Bipity-Bopit-Boop! Weather.

Most of this can be demonstrated by a smart 7th grade science teacher with tabletop experiments. It's just that it all goes together in very complicated ways.

Armed with just a thermometer, a barometer, and a clear view of the sky, I can generally predict weather about 24 hours in advance.

You left out the Milankovitch cycles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles

Spinning tops have more than one mode of angular momentum.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
Posted By: Muffin Re: How Does the Weather Work? - 01/25/23
GRAVITY!
Originally Posted by shaman

Here is a good tabletop demonstration:
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
It just all goes cyclically.
Complicated, but science has pretty well figured it out.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
You left out the Milankovitch cycles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles

Spinning tops have more than one mode of angular momentum.

Well that was informative....

Apsidal precession
Posted By: tdbob Re: How Does the Weather Work? - 01/25/23
As John Constantine once said, God's just a kid with an ant farm.
I have worked as a meteorologist just shy of 35 years and have both a B.S. and M.S. degree in Meteorology and I still haven't figured it all out yet.😊
but but but on TitTok the guy with purple hairs the earth is flat

Think he might have been home skoolt
I suspect a lot of meteorologists have BS degrees.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: How Does the Weather Work? - 01/25/23
Psshaw,

y'al ain't got it figgered out yet?

Here be a clue:

Sorry, weather DOESN'T work. Weather is retired.

It goes where it wants when it wants. Pisses in the backyard when the mood strikes. Raises some hell in trailer parks occasionally, and stays away from other places (especially if relatives live there) for years at a time.

Has the strength and ability to make a huge impact if the situation calls for it, especially if part of a really big group.

Otherwise, no one tells it what to do.

Like I said - retired!
Originally Posted by czech1022
Sorry, weather DOESN'T work. Weather is retired.

It goes where it wants when it wants. Pisses in the backyard when the mood strikes. Raises some hell in trailer parks occasionally, and stays away from other places (especially if relatives live there) for years at a time.

Has the strength and ability to make a huge impact if the situation calls for it, especially if part of a really big group.

Otherwise, no one tells it what to do.

Like I said - retired!
Best answer yet!
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I suspect a lot of meteorologists have BS degrees.
Some even have PhD degrees. Piled high and deep. 👍
© 24hourcampfire