Home
Posted By: shrapnel Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
A friend of mine, here on the Campfire, had a spare tag left over after hunting season. I know he isn't alone, have you ever had "Tag Soup"?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
Most years I do!

Mine is Top Ramen. grin
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
Not literally, but I've eaten tags for good reason.
Posted By: fishingnut71 Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
Many many times. Some years taste better than others.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
I’ve had several bowls full frown some quite expensive and time consuming.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
Ate an elk tag this year. It's always disgusting, but it happens.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
Many times... had a couple seasons where I hunted every day and never even saw a deer.
Posted By: DCR48 Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
Lived on it for awhile actually gained weight, go figure.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
Shrapnel: That is funny!
I have never "not filled" an Antelope tag and I have been Hunting them every year since 1969 - sometimes getting two Buck Antelope tags a year (Montana and Wyoming).
I wish I could say the same for Elk and Deer tags - I have had my share of "tag soup" with those.
I add a little "Tabasco Sauce" to my tag soup so's to give me incentive to do better the next year.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
This year, the premium $$ out of state tag soup!
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
Originally Posted by Tyrone
This year, the premium $$ out of state tag soup!
Me also.
But I batted 1 for 2. Hall of fame #'s if it was baseball.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
Ya Kirk, hung mine on the Christmas tree, this year !
Posted By: rong Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
Yep, passed on a few smalls opening weekend,never seen anything worth tipping over.
Set the kids up and they scored ,so we got meat,but no harvest for me.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
Oh yeah! Happands to the best.
Posted By: Stilhuntin Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
I have had tag soup from Nebraska several times, Ohio twice and Virginia too many times to mention.

Kansas tasted worst of all when I put the crosshairs on a 125 something whitetail and was told it wasn’t a shooter there. It was muzzleloader season in September and the temps went from the high 90’s to 104.

Of course, the big bucks had better things to do than move in those temps.

I still had a great time.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
I've killed 46 mule deer bucks since 1971 so I've eaten a handful over the years. This year is the worst mule deer hunting I've ever had by a wide margin. I've got 5 mule deer buck tags I'll be eating after this weekend. It's still by far my favorite animal to hunt.
Posted By: Lslite Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
Three elk hunts in Colorado with nothing but memories,and this years Texas deer season.First year in 20 something with no venison in the freezer.Gonna have to learn to eat beef hamburger again.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
It’s a staple.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
I have several of the old type KY tags that were metal bands that went around the deer antlers, and I keep them hanging on an old set of fork horns. I kept them to remind me of how few deer we had in the 1970s. Now they walk through town at night. They were like seeing a unicorn when I was in high school.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
I often have tags go unfilled, I usually buy more than I need. I don't remember a season I didn't kill a critter though. To me that would be tag soup.
Posted By: pullit Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/26/23
had tag soup a few times when deer hunting out of state
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/27/23
Yup, several times, the last was two years ago. Last year, I couldn't even get drawn for a tag. For any species. Think it might be an omen?

Ed
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/27/23
Originally Posted by reivertom
I have several of the old type KY tags that were metal bands that went around the deer antlers, and I keep them hanging on an old set of fork horns. I kept them to remind me of how few deer we had in the 1970s. Now they walk through town at night. They were like seeing a unicorn when I was in high school.
Every time I did DIY elk in Colorado. Here in Ky, the only time I don’t tag a deer is when I am working to get one of the grand kids on them. Had to turn off the drive way alarm because of deer tripping it at 2am browsing around the house.
Posted By: mbhunt Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/27/23
I ate an Arizona Strip tag. Tasted like $hit and still makes me feel sick when I think about it.
Posted By: Papag Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/27/23
Oh he!! Yes!
Posted By: dale06 Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/27/23
Yes, but not often.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/27/23
Most years I have bought a Texas hunting license just to support the program not expecting to use it.

Does that qualify me for tag soup or is that cheating?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/27/23
Originally Posted by mbhunt
I ate an Arizona Strip tag. Tasted like $hit and still makes me feel sick when I think about it.
Ouch, big OUCH.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Tag Soup Ever Had It - 01/27/23
Too many.

A few I was fortunate enough to know far enough in advance to donate the tag to Hunt of a Lifetime and some lucky souls actually got a chance to use them and a couple even filled them.
© 24hourcampfire