Home
I called several motorcycle shops within 200 miles of north central arkansas today.

They now have some small dual sport motorcycles sitting on the floor. Some have been there since mid December.
Sales guys said they've called the folks who asked to be notified when some models came in but most of them declined buying.

I asked if they were coming off of the full MSRP/Freight/set-up etc. - no, < there's your sign....

One guy was up on all the mega companies laying off thousands of employees. He is looking for a better job.
Are you shopping at small mom-and-pop cycle shops or the mega-dealerships?
Ok.... I'm shopping for a 650-700cc street bike to just putter around with in the summer....

What is your thinking.... should I be shopping now or wait another two months ??
Originally Posted by mikieb
Ok.... I'm shopping for a 650-700cc street bike to just putter around with in the summer....

What is your thinking.... should I be shopping now or wait another two months ??
You buy bikes in the winter. Definitely don’t wait til spring.
100%. Call for a quote on the day with the worst weather closest to months end.
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

Not sure how big the shops were, looked up shops on bike trader.

I read on adventure rider that some shops in the north east have 2-3 small dual-sports of each model they sell.

Not sure? sales always pick up as the weather warms? So? I'm holding off, but I've already got some rides.
The young men who are at the age where young men start wanting a motorcycle have yet to learn how to drive a manual shift car.

Being able to operate a clutch and shifter is a very fundamental part of operating the vast majority of motorcycles.

Besides,....everybody under 45 is broke.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The young men who are at the age where young men start wanting a motorcycle have yet to learn how to drive a manual shift car.

Being able to operate a clutch and shifter is a very fundamental part of operating the vast majority of motorcycles.

Back a year or so ago I heard an upper 20's guy say the $1400 c-19 check was the most money he had ever had. Not much later heard another say basically the same thing.

LOL, sure thing gramps
Originally Posted by hillestadj

LOL, sure thing gramps
Stay-out-of-this-thread-Mister

LOL, sure thing gramps

I have to agree.... even my local McDonalds is paying almost $20/hour... Young guys living at home are making BANK right now....
Originally Posted by ol_mike
...I asked if they were coming off of the full MSRP/Freight/set-up etc. - no, < there's your sign.....
Last summer I had a wild hair for a Suzuki DR650, nice old school dual sport thumper. Inventory was scarce all over but one dealer in the next town over had one so I took it for a spin and asked him to write up a quote. He wrote down MSRP plus the usual tax, tags, freight and dealer prep, then threw in a few "just cause we say so" charges, all of which totaled about $2,000 over MSRP.

I thanked him for the ride and wished him good luck with the sale.

LOL, sure thing gramps
LoL. Yep. Maybe time for Bristo to look for a trike.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
...I asked if they were coming off of the full MSRP/Freight/set-up etc. - no, < there's your sign.....
Last summer I had a wild hair for a Suzuki DR650, nice old school dual sport thumper. Inventory was scarce all over but one dealer in the next town over had one so I took it for a spin and asked him to write up a quote. He wrote down MSRP plus tax, tags, freight and a few "just cause we say so" charges which came in a tad over $2,000 above MSRP.

I thanked him for the ride and wished him good luck with the sale.

Very few people play hardball with them.
Especially someone trying to get financed at a dealership.
Walk in the shop during a massive snow storm and make your offer. Be reasonable, dealer has bills and employees to pay as well.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Walk in the shop during a massive snow storm and make your offer. Be reasonable, dealer has bills and employees to pay as well.

Ok, Ya.... that is a good plan, but in the world I am... Everywhere you go they have the sales floors full of $25k snowmobiles and $30k side by sides and I want a $9k scooter. They are all selling snow sleds.

I will give it a try next week and report back.

LOL, sure thing gramps

translation: I really am a grandpa. smirk
Right now is all in the middle of a big change. No inventory for nearly 2 years, ravenous buyers with stim money. Buying any freakin thing.

Now, & in just he last few months inventory catching up & stimulus money is gone. Dealers are going to have to start "dealing" again & some haven't realized that, or hoping the buyer hasn't.

Soon to be a buyers market IMO.
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

LOL, sure thing gramps

translation: I really am a grandpa. smirk

YOU just made "THE LIST" ->MISTER.................
Our local Kawasaki dealer sells Triumphs and Suzuki as well. There are motorcycles on the floor but by May they will all be gone. And he will get full price for everyone except for the big cruiser used models . It seems people are going back to the smaller motorcycles. The wealthy boomers are selling those cruisers and taking a loss. Riding is getting to risky for the boomers especially on the big bikes.

kwg
Pretty much the same with cars.

And dealers are getting stuck with heavy optioned stuff that's not moving.
Used stuff they bought months ago athigh prices, payed monthly interest,
the per vehicle investment keeps growing.

Meanwhile, auction prices have dropped.

Being too arrogant to cut losses, they keep losing.
Originally Posted by kwg020
Our local Kawasaki dealer sells Triumphs and Suzuki as well. There are motorcycles on the floor but by May they will all be gone. And he will get full price for everyone except for the big cruiser used models . It seems people are going back to the smaller motorcycles. The wealthy boomers are selling those cruisers and taking a loss. Riding is getting to risky for the boomers especially on the big bikes.

kwg

I don’t know anyone looking for cruisers or any flavor of Harley. It’s all sport bike and lots of younger guys are buying. Tastes have changed.
Always buy a motorcycle when the snow is flying! Same as with a boat or lawnmower! Buy your snowblower in July!
Originally Posted by kwg020
The wealthy boomers are selling those cruisers and taking a loss.

I sold my Road Glide Special last summer for more than I paid for it new 2 years prior. I bought it 2 years prior because I sold the Road King for more than I paid for it new 3 years before that.

All to the dealer, not private sale. Bought 2 Harleys over 5 years - large cruisers and made money on both of them.
kudos to anyone making money on selling used Harleys

I'll always have something of the two wheel variety for the foreseeable future. Don't see it being a heavy cruiser though
Originally Posted by gunzo
Right now is all in the middle of a big change. No inventory for nearly 2 years, ravenous buyers with stim money. Buying any freakin thing.

Now, & in just he last few months inventory catching up & stimulus money is gone. Dealers are going to have to start "dealing" again & some haven't realized that, or hoping the buyer hasn't.

Soon to be a buyers market IMO.
Rising interest rates are putting the pressure on as well.

I have a nephew who started selling houses a few years ago. He’s made a killing. Spends it like a drunk sailor. I sure hope he’s put some up, because the last couple of years weren’t indicative of the next couple in my opinion.

LOL, sure thing gramps

I have to agree.... even my local McDonalds is paying almost $20/hour... Young guys living at home are making BANK right now....

You must not have bought anything in the last year. It's not 1991 anymore. I'm guessing most living at home can't afford a house or rent.
My spider senses tell me the economy is slowing. The Best Buy with motorcycles is that slightly used bike in November.
I bought my kLR last year. In my search one dealer said he sold his 14, and had to go to other dealerships to get more.

Do they cost 25k? No. Do they get from point A to point B? Yes.

Adventure bikes have become extremely popular lately.
Originally Posted by sourdough44
My spider senses tell me the economy is slowing. The Best Buy with motorcycles is that slightly used bike in November.

That is more true up in your region, a LONG WINTER does nudge owners to consider selling. In the south/deep south not as much.
I called several motorcycle shops within 200 miles of north central arkansas today.

They now have some small dual sport motorcycles sitting on the floor. Some have been there since mid December.
Sales guys said they've called the folks who asked to be notified when some models came in but most of them declined buying.

I asked if they were coming off of the full MSRP/Freight/set-up etc. - no, < there's your sign....
Boom...
One guy was up on all the mega companies laying off thousands of employees. He is looking for a better job.
Layoffs, plus high interest rates, plus the new 'job insecurity' all combine to slow bike sales to a crawl.

Originally Posted by jackmountain

You buy bikes in the winter. Definitely don’t wait til spring.
BOOM!

Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Yes and no... Last two bikes I bought I got a better deal at the St. Paul dealer than I got from the M&P shops... But - the one I just made a deal on is from the much-smaller HD shop I have all my service work done on....and it was a 2020 model they wanted gone. On both occasions, timing was everything..
Make someone a good deal on a brand new "putter"

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...re-2022-triumph-street-twin#Post17876286
Have no fear, things are looking up…..Harley is bringing out an electric motorcycle! I think that they’re even offering, as an option, specially manufactured cards to place in the spokes for that “genuine” HD sound! memtb

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/0...on-to-all-electric-stupidest-thing-ever/
Seen more Can am Rykers&spyders amongst the greybeards and they love them. Was once employed at an independent bike repair shop picked up a $31.00 part proudly labeled Genuine HD made in India. I think it hurt some folks feelings.
No deals on Street Glides, at least up here in Michigan. Dealers seem to have more Road Glides around then other Touring models.
© 24hourcampfire