Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Ever see a lab this color? - 01/31/23
I've never heard of it before.
[Linked Image from guidingeyes.org]

Here's the explanation: BLACK AND TAN LABS
Black lab?
Read the link I put at the bottom. It's a rare recessive trait.
Rock Chuck: NO.... I have never seen a Lab of that color - I think its coloration is rather cool though.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Raeford Re: Ever see a lab this color? - 01/31/23
Beautiful!
I'd call it a Rottie
Posted By: pullit Re: Ever see a lab this color? - 01/31/23
looks like his dad may have been a traveling salesman....
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
I'd call it a Rottie
šŸ˜‚
[Linked Image from labradorinblack.com]

Cane Corso or Lab-Rottweiler mix. If you do an image search you will find lots of them.
Them blonde shoulder pads mean it will be hard to break from nosin thru the trash
yes I have, but it wasn't a pure bred. Also, it was the 2nd best bird dog a friend had.
Posted By: las Re: Ever see a lab this color? - 01/31/23
Coincidence! I never knew that.

A month or so ago I met someone who claimed their dog was "full Lab"- and it looked like that.

Nice dog, so who was I to argue, but I figgered there had been something Rottie in the woodpile..... smile

Actually- my neighbor's new dog looks like that - rescue dog, no idea what it's linnage is. Certainly has the Lab's energy!

We get to keep her (the dog!) for several weeks in March, before Cris gets back from AZ, and the dog finishes obediance school up here.

I can fix that...... smile
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Read the link I put at the bottom. It's a rare recessive trait.
AKA, genetic defect.
Or you could just hit the easy button and cross a Lab and a Rottie and wind up with the same look.
I've seen them with an odd spot or two but never with a pattern like that.
Posted By: ndh19 Re: Ever see a lab this color? - 01/31/23
I'm 71 and my first dog when I was 10 yrs old was 1/2 beagle- lab and looked exactly the same. My buddies said "buck" was the best bird dog they ever hunted over. He took a big beef roast off the neighbors grill once and my old man was ready to shoot him. Great memories
Kind of like the "Silver Labs" you sometimes see advertised, AKC does not recognize them either as a color, but the people that had a Weimaraner get in their lab bitch's pen seem to think that AKC will never notice...
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Ever see a lab this color? - 01/31/23
I had a half Doberman half boxer that looked identical
Originally Posted by slumlord
Them blonde shoulder pads mean it will be hard to break from nosin thru the trash

No self-respecting lab would let themselves get broken from that trait.

Damn knotheads. grin
Pretty dog
Kind of like the "Silver Labs" you sometimes see advertised, AKC does not recognize them either as a color, but the people that had a Weimaraner get in their lab bitch's pen seem to think that AKC will never notice...
Those silvers often have skin problems too.
Originally Posted by las
Coincidence! I never knew that.

A month or so ago I met someone who claimed their dog was "full Lab"- and it looked like that.

Nice dog, so who was I to argue, but I figgered there had been something Rottie in the woodpile..... smile

Actually- my neighbor's new dog looks like that - rescue dog, no idea what it's linnage is. Certainly has the Lab's energy!

We get to keep her (the dog!) for several weeks in March, before Cris gets back from AZ, and the dog finishes obediance school up here.

I can fix that...... smile

ā€œRottie in the woodpileā€ was my first thought as wellā€¦

Having said that, Iā€™d take oneā€¦
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Ever see a lab this color? - 01/31/23
Originally Posted by ndh19
I'm 71 and my first dog when I was 10 yrs old was 1/2 beagle- lab and looked exactly the same. My buddies said "buck" was the best bird dog they ever hunted over. He took a big beef roast off the neighbors grill once and my old man was ready to shoot him. Great memories
Your great memories are of your dad wanting to shoot your dog šŸ¤” bless your heart šŸ˜
That's not a lab.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
That's not a lab.

I didn't think so either.

I even read the link at the bottom of OP's post.

Then I did the Google-Fu thing, and I'll be damned - it seems true.
Schit like this is how you end up with a Lab that is scared of the water.

ā€œSilverā€ labs are another example.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Ever see a lab this color? - 02/01/23
lol. OK.

My nephew has one of those so called ā€œsilver labsā€. The head on it looks suspiciously pit bull. šŸ¤Ŗ
I told him he should ask for his money back. šŸ˜¬
Yeah, it looks like a Lab-Rot.

Here's a pair of Boxer-Rots. AKA Boxweilers

Tony

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The AKC seems to ruin every breed they touch.

JMHO
I don't care what color if it will bring back a duck .
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn

Your chances are limited with that mutt. It might be great. I'd buy a lab with solid genetics and proven hunt test/field trial ability. That's your best bet, not some mongrel.

Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Ever see a lab this color? - 02/01/23
I had a half lab, half walker hound that looked like that. She would tree squirrels and loved to retrieve doves but refused to pick up a duck. She was a great dog.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Ever see a lab this color? - 02/01/23
Well Iā€™ll share some of my ignorance..

Took my dog to the vet, got him from a herding dog rescue. I was told mom was a Heeler, dad a Border Collie. Told the vet most of the littler looked 100% Heeler, one looked 100% Border Collie, then there is mine, built like a Heeler, but has short, soft brown hair, and his facial coloration looks like that a Bulldog would have.

He asked if mom was a stray?
Said I didnā€™t know, thatā€™s when he told me a dog litter can have multiple fathers.
If a bitch is in heat and on the loose, good chance she was mounted by more than one dog, and bitches can birth from two different males in the same litter.

I cannot believe I had never heard that.
"You ain't nothin' but a hound dawg!"
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn

Your chances are limited with that mutt. It might be great. I'd buy a lab with solid genetics and proven hunt test/field trial ability. That's your best bet, not some mongrel.

I agree. I'm not saying that the dogs on the original post are mutts, since they are recognised as a full lab.

But here is the issue. Since the dogs with this color are so rare, the breeder has a very limited number to choose from. For a working dog of any kind the general consensus is to breed best to best.

Of the dozen or so beagles I owned, I've only had one that I wanted more of. I spent 2 years judging male classes to find a suitable male (I only keep females). I judged a male twice who not only won both trials, but completely dominated the pack. The male had also sired several field champions. I drove 14 hours round trip for the breeding. That dog could have been purple and I would have bred to him. The three pups that were trialed did very well, and the others were hunted over and do well in that game.

Much like affirmative action, selecting by color generally doesn't get the best performance.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Ever see a lab this color? - 02/01/23
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
Yeah, it looks like a Lab-Rot.

Here's a pair of Boxer-Rots. AKA Boxweilers

Tony

Boxers are the dumbest ugliest dog......
I've never seen one that shape either
Obviously many of the posters didn't read the link. These dogs are 100% Lab, bred to be seeing eye dogs. They're descended from a kennel that was well known for producing quality hunting and show dogs. The mixed color phases aren't accepted by the AKC but it's strictly color. No other traits are affected
The link explains the rare combination of genes that produces this color phase. There's no Rot or Dobie in them. The kennel hasn't cleaned them out because they don't show them and they're excellent seeing eye dogs.
There is one in my neighborhood saw it last summer the owner was taking it for a walk....at first i thought it was a Rottweiler talked to her and found out what it was....she payed a couple thousand dollars for him and was going to breed him....
I've owned many Labs and it was the first time I saw one....

Have received several Labs that didn't make the cut from Leader Dogs in Rochester, Michigan but made great house dogs, hunters and retrievers....
Seeing eye rejects can make exceptionally good pets as they're highly trained. They just couldn't quite do what's needed for that job. Whether one can hunt is anyone's guess. Some have the instinct, some don't. They aren't bred for that purpose.
I know a woman who has raised many seeing eye prospects, all German shepherds. She had them all very well trained but she didn't do the high level training for a qualified dog. The majority of the prospects won't make the grade as it takes a very special dog to make it all the way through the program.
I read the link. A fool and his money are soon parted. If you want to market it as a large Dalmatian I don't care... someone stupid enough will buy it.
© 24hourcampfire