Home
Posted By: RockyRaab Gallusses? - 02/01/23
So...with my herniated disc, I find that a belt is a bit uncomfortable. Last week, it suddenly occurred to me that I used to have some suspenders back when they were fashionable - the 90s? Anyway, I undertook a search and discovered that I had four pairs of them boxed away in my closet's deepest corner. Two pair need pants with buttons, and two have clips.

Put on a pair with clips and damn if they aren't the most comfortable things. I'd forgotten that. Wore one pair last week and put on the other this morning.

Anyone here besides Jim Conrad and Shrapnel who wears suspenders? I bet Wabigoon does.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
I'm 82 and my poor old body has changed shape so much I can't get a belt to hold up my pants. I have been wearing suspenders for about 10 years now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I wear these here that look like carpenter's rulers, also a pair with a patriotic Stars and Stripes motif. Strangely, hardly a days goes by that I don't get a compliment from some lady in the store or someplace admiring my suspenders. Guys never say anything laugh
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
Friend of mine adds buttons to his.

They just hammer together. Puts them where he wants.
Posted By: 1beaver_shooter Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
Been wearing them for 40plus years never did like a belt . Get them at tractor supply or big blue stores
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
I find suspenders more comfortable (and more affective) than a belt when I am wearing heavier insulated pants, or pants with long underwear on underneath.

I also use them when I am wearing chainsaw chaps.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
Holdup Suspender Company...
I wear both inside the garment (I like henley style casual shirts) and the outside the garment suspenders.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Friend of mine adds buttons to his.

They just hammer together. Puts them where he wants.

Did that with some carhartt’s couple years ago. Super handy.
Posted By: Border Doc Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
I'm appreciating suspenders more now. They hold up my pants and my S & W better than a belt, although attaching an out-of-sight holster is problematic.
Posted By: JOG Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
Duluth Trading strikes again:

Suspender Buttons
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
I always thought that gallusses were calluses that formed where your thighs rubbed together.
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
I also use them when I am wearing chainsaw chaps.

That is a great idea and a solution to a problem for me. Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: WhiteFawn Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
Intelligent people have always used them. Don't pollute the pool. wink
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
I've been wearing suspenders for several years, Welsh brand are my preference.

I've found those using sewed-on buttons to be most durable and dependable, the hammered-on buttons have a bad habit of coming apart or out of the fabric after a while.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
Dang, we are a bunch of suspender wearing old coots. Now I'm going to have to dig out my old pair.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
Most of my life I wouldn't want anything to do with being seen wearing suspenders. I didn't want to look like somebody's old fart grandpa running around in those things. Although now that I'm fixing to turn 73 soon, they don't look bad at all. Got buddies that wear them now and like them and I'm considering getting some. Just don't tell me that they make me look old.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
Only one thing you need to know 'bout keepin' yer pants on, "Better S'Penders", made in Grants Pass Oregon.
F...kin Bachelor buttons will dig in your back/pelvic bone sitting in a hard seat on a piece of equipment, makes you cranky .
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
I've been wearing suspenders for several years, Welsh brand are my preference.

I've found those using sewed-on buttons to be most durable and dependable, the hammered-on buttons have a bad habit of coming apart or out of the fabric after a while.
Do you mean Welch?
Do you fellers prefer a single strap that attaches in the center of the back or the X style with 2 back straps?

A guy I know gets the Amish to build his. The ones he gets are the nylon coated straps with buckles on each side of the front, about tit high, maybe a little lower.

Same style material and buckle as a dog collar on the length adjustment.

They even use leash type snaps where the suspenders attach to belt loops.
Originally Posted by jnyork
I'm 82 and my poor old body has changed shape so much I can't get a belt to hold up my pants. I have been wearing suspenders for about 10 years now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I wear these here that look like carpenter's rulers, also a pair with a patriotic Stars and Stripes motif. Strangely, hardly a days goes by that I don't get a compliment from some lady in the store or someplace admiring my suspenders. Guys never say anything laugh
I like it. Got your tater chips handy.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
I remember wearing suspenders when I was a little kid in the mid-50s, probably for Mom's convenience mostly. I've worn denim with a belt ever since then but have given thought to going to coveralls for everyday wear once I retire (come on, July!!). Suspenders is an option I hadn't though about. I could wear really baggy-assed pants that way, without the crotch hanging down to my knees.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
Y back for running equipment...X back for most everything else especially falling and bucking...you got a 2# log tape, wedge pouch, fire extinguisher and tool belt dragging your pants down. Again, Better S'penders, Grants Pass Or.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
I have worn them. Bib overalls are just another form of them.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Most of my life I wouldn't want anything to do with being seen wearing suspenders. I didn't want to look like somebody's old fart grandpa running around in those things. Although now that I'm fixing to turn 73 soon, they don't look bad at all. Got buddies that wear them now and like them and I'm considering getting some. Just don't tell me that they make me look old.

Welcome to geezerhood!! laugh
Posted By: hanco Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
I’ve never tried them. May have to
Posted By: g5m Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
tag
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
I wear them. I'm somewhat lacking in the hips dept. and nobody wants to see my "Chinese smile". blush
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
I've used baler twine in a pinch.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
I have worn them a lot, but not necessarily for any physical reason. Some activities/work earlier in life involved wearing a tuxedo suit and most of those were intended for suspenders rather than a belt. This usually also involved a cummerbund or vest. Wearing them does seem to afford comfort and some added flexion. So, still some white and back models here.

That use bled over to other business/occasion apparel and so I gathered up other styles and wore them frequently over the years. Gives a little different look, and a bit of relaxed comfort. Then there are the fun holiday styles - I enjoy the brightly colored models at Christmastime and those for Valentine Day.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
You wear holiday coordinated cummerbund rebuilding motorhome transmissions?

LOL

whatever you say Eustace
Posted By: CCCC Re: Gallusses? - 02/01/23
Originally Posted by slumlord
You wear holiday coordinated cummerbund rebuilding motorhome transmissions? - - - -
No, only when working on NPs and Muncies.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Gallusses? - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by CCCC
I have worn them a lot, but not necessarily for any physical reason. Some activities/work earlier in life involved wearing a tuxedo suit and most of those were intended for suspenders rather than a belt. This usually also involved a cummerbund or vest. Wearing them does seem to afford comfort and some added flexion. So, still some white and back models here.

That use bled over to other business/occasion apparel and so I gathered up other styles and wore them frequently over the years. Gives a little different look, and a bit of relaxed comfort. Then there are the fun holiday styles - I enjoy the brightly colored models at Christmastime and those for Valentine Day.

Suspenders are kind of like a "false belt."

Can't say I ever noticed Joey DeFrancesco wearing them though.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: slumlord Re: Gallusses? - 02/02/23
that dude is gettin it 🤣🤙
Posted By: gunzo Re: Gallusses? - 02/02/23
The most BS statement I've heard concerning the subject was;

"The circumference of my waistline has exceeded the girth of my hips" and... I can't keep my pants up.

Whatever the term, I'v got a pair or 3 of suspenders. They work well till very hot weather. Not comfortable under a shirt, makes sweaty hot spots on top, and... messes up the ventilation properties of a nice, loose fitting fishing or Hawaiian shirt. Modern old fat man problems.

Cut off bibs with no shirt, side buttons undone, & commando, is probably the answer.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Gallusses? - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by gunzo
The most BS statement I've heard concerning the subject was;

"The circumference of my waistline has exceeded the girth of my hips" and... I can't keep my pants up.

Whatever the term, I'v got a pair or 3 of suspenders. They work well till very hot weather. Not comfortable under a shirt, makes sweaty hot spots on top, and... messes up the ventilation properties of a nice, loose fitting fishing or Hawaiian shirt. Modern old fat man problems.

Cut off bibs with no shirt, side buttons undone, & commando, is probably the answer.
Tube socks with the stripe around the top and velcro scoots. Only about 4" of knee exposed from bottom of cut offs to socks.

Wish I had a pic of my uncle!!🤣🤣
Posted By: gunzo Re: Gallusses? - 02/02/23
Oh no. Not tube socks. Just the slides with some big yeller toenails lookin at ya.
Posted By: kingston Re: Gallusses? - 02/02/23
I thought this thread was going to be about cigarettes.
© 24hourcampfire