Home
Posted By: RockyRaab I hope that groundhog... - 02/02/23
Bites the living hell out of the guy who yanks him from his fake burrow. I know I would.
6 more weeks
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: I hope that groundhog... - 02/02/23
I don't need some burrowing rodent to tell me there's going to be six more weeks of winter.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: I hope that groundhog... - 02/02/23
Easter is the true tell for me, early Easter early spring late Easter late spring
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: I hope that groundhog... - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I don't need some burrowing rodent to tell me there's going to be six more weeks of winter.

Gerbil?
Groundhogs are marmots; marmots are rodents.
Be sure to have some pork sausage for breakfast, guys. Because it's Ground Hog Day.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: I hope that groundhog... - 02/02/23
There's one under the deck at our cabin, free to a good home. laugh
Posted By: Raeford Re: I hope that groundhog... - 02/02/23
Haven't had[seen] any 'live' groundpigs around the homestead in about 3 months, not sure why?? whistle
Originally Posted by wabigoon
There's one under the deck at our cabin, free to a good home. laugh
Sure their is....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I'm surprised one of you ain't sitting 400yds away trying to pick it off with a 22-250 as it gets hoisted up for pictures
Posted By: AU338MAG Re: I hope that groundhog... - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
I'm surprised one of you ain't sitting 400yds away trying to pick it off with a 22-250 as it gets hoisted up for pictures
Now THAT would make this BS interesting.
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: I hope that groundhog... - 02/02/23
A silenced 22, or one of the fancy air rifles out now, would fix the problem.
No seeing a shadow if you put it's lights out.
We don't have groundhogs in Idaho. We have rock chucks, yellow bellied marmots. Sunshine or not, you won't be seeing any of them today. It's too dang cold and the ground's snow covered.

[Linked Image from bugspray.com]
Posted By: shrapnel Re: I hope that groundhog... - 02/02/23
Rock chucks are amazing animals. When we were kids, my brother and I caught a small chuck and brought it home and made a pet out out of him. We had him for over a year and he never hibernated, although he slowed down some during winter.

I would take him to bed with me and he would crawl to the bottom of the bed and sleep there. He was a great pet and spent the day in the house like a cat or dog and slept in his cage at night. He was just like a cat and had a spot we had fixed for him to do his business.

He was a terrific pet…
Posted By: Jcubed Re: I hope that groundhog... - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Rock chucks are amazing animals. When we were kids, my brother and I caught a small chuck and brought it home and made a pet out out of him. We had him for over a year and he never hibernated, although he slowed down some during winter.

I would take him to bed with me and he would crawl to the bottom of the bed and sleep there. He was a great pet and spent the day in the house like a cat or dog and slept in his cage at night. He was just like a cat and had a spot we had fixed for him to do his business.

He was a terrific pet…

That's pretty cool.

My grandpa used to feed the squirrels when I was little. They would come running if they saw him with sunflower seeds.

Regards
Posted By: KFWA Re: I hope that groundhog... - 02/02/23
anyone ever been to the celebration?

Every time I watch Groundhogs day I want to go there and eat pancakes.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

He was a terrific pet…
Last summer I shot 15 from our back door. My wife has a small commercial flower garden. A couple chucks could really raise hell if they ever found it. I got them all close enough to use a 22LR. There are too many houses around to use my 22-250.
This one almost saw his shadow!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Almost
Posted By: tikkanut Re: I hope that groundhog... - 02/02/23

This winter reminds me of the '83 winter

When Billie's Mountain slid and covered Hwy 6 & train rails

Flooded Thistle

Groundhog is never wrong.

Six more weeks of winter or a month and a half.
Posted By: ERK Re: I hope that groundhog... - 02/02/23
20 below here this morning in ND. No ground hogs. Edk
Posted By: EdM Re: I hope that groundhog... - 02/02/23
I’ve been without power since 9PM yesterday. Ice storm just wrapping up. Lots of chain saw work ahead with a number of downed oak branches.
That giant rat needs to be used for target practice.

I saw on the news this morning that he's only been right 30% of the time.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Groundhog is never wrong.

Six more weeks of winter or a month and a half.
That's my theory
They have one in Canada that died today, ain't that a hoot!
What did he have on the Clintons?
Must have dug something up...
Marmot Day – The Alaska Groundhog Day
Written by Mathew Booe in Winter
If you’re planning to visit Alaska on the second of February, you’ll be celebrating Marmot day instead of Groundhog day. The celebrations are similar to the events in the contiguous United States, but it is surrounded around an indigenous species, the marmot, due to the absence of groundhogs in Alaska.

Groundhog Day in Alaska does in fact go by a different name. Due to the fact that there are no groundhogs in Alaska natively, marmots were chosen in their place as part of this change of season celebration. Marmots are found in Alaska and are rodents similar to groundhogs.

In this post, I will discuss a lot about Marmot day. And thus, you will understand what the holiday means, how it is observed, and the difference between the animals representing both Groundhog and Marmot day.

https://hopefulholidays.com/marmot-day-the-alaska-groundhog-day/
"Punxsutawney Phil Emerges From Burrow To Let Everyone Know There Are Some Documents Marked ‘Classified’ Down There"

https://babylonbee.com/news/punxsut...e-documents-marked-classified-down-there
Posted By: Irving_D Re: I hope that groundhog... - 02/03/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: I hope that groundhog... - 02/03/23
Groundhogs are marmots; marmots are rodents.

I was talking about the Gerbil that apparently burrowed into your old man, angry ass.
© 24hourcampfire